Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NutritiousSnack posted:

It hurts the game's writing that literally every single one of your followers wants to gently caress you no matter what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

bongwizzard posted:

Sharkbro is a huge twit and I hope the bloodpool comes back so I can throw him in it.
I didn't follow it but I sailed really far east and found some Skaenites who promised me power in return for sacrificing one of my companions. I don't know if it works or not because I didn't take it, but its there. Roughly northeast of Tikawara, can't remember the name. Really small island

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NutritiousSnack posted:

It hurts the game's writing that literally every single one of your followers wants to gently caress you no matter what.

This is literally not true.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

any in particular that come to mind?

so far i'm thinking
'arquebus that fires shot that penetrates anything but knocks you on your rear end'

and

'a club except its frostseeker bow and hits 5-6 times'

that goes for anyone else btw, i'll solicit neat ideas for weapons

Minoletta's Magnanimous Moneymaker - +2 Bluff, +2 Diplomacy, +10% global shop discount. A crossbow that fires Minoletta's Magic Missiles. Use on an ally to gain +1 relationship point.

Iron Bow - war bow that Immobilizes on crit. It shoots enemies' shadow, giving them a chill over their heart (Frost Lash), and sometimes pinning their shadow so they can't move.

Justiciar's Pistol - does little damage but interrupts 25% of the time - you shoot the weapon out of their hand, cowboy style. Casts 3/rest Withdraw (like ducking for cover).

The Mana Twig - Wand that grants empowered attacks +2 penetration, gains +3% recovery for every point of Metaphysics, user constantly under Woodskin

Spineglass - a magically vitrified sea urchin spine. Stiletto. Deals raw damage over time (poison), Sickens on crit, can be used to cast Touch of Death once and then breaks.

Arc of Heaven - Rainbow-y battleax. Dazes on hit, casts Wall of Many Colors 1/rest, +10% fire, water, electricity damage (each).

My game just bugged and I can't go back into Neketaka, so I could make a million of these just to get my Pillars fix. But this probably isn't the place. Start a Google doc?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Great: no's unless they can gently caress everyone?

Once again, this is not a deal breaker or an actual issue.

Evil Canadian posted:

Fishmen tend to be regarded as curiously attractive by all genders so it stands to reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMMgV6iOuuQ

This is what always actually bothered me about this series. I understand elves/folk/dwarfs all banging. But like the dog and fish people?

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 13, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NutritiousSnack posted:

cool so why are you posting about it then?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

NutritiousSnack posted:

Great: no's unless they can gently caress everyone?

Lol

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone else getting a bug when making custom ai behaviors that certain conditions just randomly delete themselves? Tends to only happen to the last one in the list.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
"haha yoshi poops eggs hahaha"

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

precision posted:

cool so why are you posting about it then?

Because it was brought up in thread? Like I mentioned it was a nitpick at most for what obviously the writers not wanting anyone to miss content with the companion characters on a play through? Not an actual structural flaw in the narrative or delving into the characters themselves.

I'm sorry for commenting on the discussion in the thread about how every romanceable character is bisexual with the statement "It's lazy writing and design to ensure everyone sees content, but it's not a big deal and doesn't actual hurt the story."

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Firstborn posted:

"haha yoshi poops eggs hahaha"

Yeah, this conversation was in the first one when Hiravias tried to find Pallegina's cloaca.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
For me the important thing is that each companion's orientation is part of their identity, demonstrated in other quests and interactions in which the Watcher is, well, a spectator. It's subtle but a bit different than most being playersexual.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Count Uvula posted:

The trick is that while some of the companions might not be bisexual regularly, everyone becomes bisexual as soon as they become a pirate.

Alternatively but less likely than the pirate sexuality theory is that since every playthrough can be considered a different time line you end up in a timeline where everyone happens to be interested in those old bones of yours.
The world of Eora is established as one that has no particular formal recognition of deviant sexualities even if family units still seem breeding pair focused. It’s like an English boarding school - I know a lot of old dudes with nuclear families who went through that system and they are remarkably frank and unbothered in telling how common it was for boys to have sex with one another. Nobody thought it was a big deal, nobody panicked about what it meant. It’s just what happened when you had gender segregation on that scale.

People complaining about this forfeit whatever standing they might is claiming that, say, Kingdom Come is just being veracious when it only features white people. Tbh I have yet to see an actual good faith argument re: sex in games in the years since BG2.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 13, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Finished!

I had one major bug

I got the spooky ghost ship by pick pocketing the sword, then giving the sword in exchange for the ship. But when I returned to pirate lady she didn't trigger that I had the ship so all I could do was ask "how do I get the ship" even though I had the ship, so I sailed alone for the ending

Final area:

Guardian was a tough fight at level 18, I did it with 3 people alive at the end all with no health. Amazing! The subsequent trading company fight was easy and anti climactic. Then I took the "inspire from history" choice and then everything sucks I guess as the deadfire descended into chaos oh well lol. I liked all the companion stories that I finished, apart from Eder I didn't get a trigger to do a quest for him? So he just was all pouty and sad that eothas let him down or whatever. I guess I'm 2 out of 2 for not doing Eder quests?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
How upset am I going to be that I bought a galleon instead of a junk? The loss of hull health had be a bit worried and I didn't know if it'd be worth the extra gundeck or not.

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

You should have enough superb great swords to sell if you do the bounties that money is of no import.

Galleon is better at the old dash at them and board them, but Junk has moar cannons and is better for the actual minigame.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

algebra testes posted:

Finished!

Final area:

Guardian was a tough fight at level 18, I did it with 3 people alive all with no health. Amazing! The subsequent trading company fight was easy and anti climactic.

I had a similar experience. The Guardian fight was no joke, made a bit easier when I let it keep trying to engage Maia's pet. That big arena has plenty of room for kiting. It felt like the real final fight, whereas the encounter with the Principi just before Eothas was easy. Feels a little weird gameplay-wise but makes sense - I just killed the apparently immortal Guardian of the gods, so some old dude with a sword and a few thugs is nothing.

Ravenfood posted:

How upset am I going to be that I bought a galleon instead of a junk? The loss of hull health had be a bit worried and I didn't know if it'd be worth the extra gundeck or not.

I like both, I tend to ram/board more with the galleon while firing more with the junk. There's plenty of money to be made if you loot everything and sell at the right places, though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What are some quick guidelines about dual wielding? Is there any inherent problem with equipping a sword+dagger vs a dagger+dagger?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It took me a couple battles to realize that the best minigame strategy is...

Fire - Jib - Fire - Jib - Fire - [Repeat]

The AI wastes a lot of turns. And movement while parallel does nothing. You'll be firing every other round while they're wasting like 2/3 of their actions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Basic Chunnel posted:

People complaining about this forfeit whatever standing they might is claiming that, say, Kingdom Come is just being veracious when it only features white people. Tbh I have yet to see an actual good faith argument re: sex in games in the years since BG2.

I'm not too far in this game yet but I'm skeptical of the "everyone wants to gently caress you" argument on its face. So far, the only flirting I've seen has happened as a result of me choosing flirt options. If you flirt with everyone, you lose the ability to complain that the romances are "in your face" or whatever. There are certainly some games made by Bioware where people initiate flirting, but even in their games you generally need to pick a flirty option first.

And also I'm a bit sick of straight people who try to say they're not pieces of poo poo because they're thinking of the nonstraight players. Like yo, we can speak for ourselves.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

precision posted:

"in your face" or whatever.

When the hell did anyone say that?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Eder and Pallegina are also bisexual, they're just not that into you.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Really though the fact that you can't romance Eder is obviously a continuation of the themes of Pillars 1 where almost every companion quest was about longing for something they'd never get or whether or not they can accept something that can't be changed. Instead of Eder never getting true closure, you are Eder's companion never getting that rear end.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dan Didio posted:

Eder and Pallegina are also bisexual, they're just not that into you.

Also Serafan is bisexual but he doesn't like workplace romance

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

cheesetriangles posted:

Anyone else getting a bug when making custom ai behaviors that certain conditions just randomly delete themselves? Tends to only happen to the last one in the list.

Yeah I tried building a custom ai script but gave up because the custom conditions would delete themselves even when I clicked save.

So I've been using the default ones for now and manually takeover when more discretion is needed.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

NutritiousSnack posted:

When the hell did anyone say that?

Phrasing the optional option to flirt with optional party members as "they all want to gently caress you" is implying that said option is "in your face". As I said, generally in order to even know this kind of content even exists, you have to take steps that would indicate you want it to exist.

If any of the party members flirt with the Watcher even if the Watcher doesn't flirt back or initiate it, that's one thing. Is that the case here?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Like seriously, the Vailian Trading Company is doing slave trading or something right?

precision posted:

[quote="precision" post="484048606"]
Phrasing the optional option to flirt with optional party members as "they all want to gently caress you" is implying that said option is "in your face". As I said, generally in order to even know this kind of content even exists, you have to take steps that would indicate you want it to exist.

If any of the party members flirt with the Watcher even if the Watcher doesn't flirt back or initiate it, that's one thing. Is that the case here?

Please don't make me quote that paragraphs' second half clearly identifying my 'complaint' as with it being okay to have 'missable' content that can only be seen with a second play through, and not being mad with the concept of gay pirates.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 13, 2018

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think the romances will be unsatisfying because the companions are all weird looking.

Serafen: hideous blue rat man
Maia: looks like a loving dinosaur. Ten feet tall
Tekehu: buff and moist, which helps, but he's a shark man
Aloth: ok quite sexy
Xoti: Now we're talking, if you can get past the insanity

Eder and Pallegina are the two most attractive ones, and they know they're out of your league

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Game continues to shine with its various ways to finish quests. Got a crowd so hosed up on liquor and stew that they just laughed when a man exploded. Deadlight harpsichord schenanigans

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Ladies.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I like the over-the-top, "We're on a mission from gahd," dialog options.

I like them quite a bit.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Yeah I definitely want a mod that makes enchanting only cost ingredients and not money.

So far I've avoided it almost entirely because it will just drain the money I need to upgrade my ship. It seem really silly for it to cost that kind of money.

It should let you choose between a party skill check or money at least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like when companions notice and approve/disapprove of your behavior, but goddamn I swear Aloth keeps shooting me sly looks and smiling and there's no "dude I'm just making this poo poo up as I go, I'm not a mastermind" option with him.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Holy poo poo the resolutions to Pallegina's quest are loving stupid, either you eat a bad end or you have to
A) Roleplay out the exact way the quest designer wants you to, which is to be cruel
B) Win a fight by relying on RNG, both from status effect + the AI to protect the NPC with literally 1 hp that starts right loving next to an enemy

If you choose B and decide to save scum it, because gently caress RNG, and you don't want to repeat the same banal dialogue 400 times and you just choose to attack the bad guy, Pallegina leaves the loving party?!
Is there a Cheat Engine script for this game so I can just give that NPC at least 2 hits worth of HP and not have to deal with this?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

So for Xoti's side quest, is there just a certain number of souls she needs to suck up or do I need to visit somewhere specific to advance it?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Accretionist posted:

It took me a couple battles to realize that the best minigame strategy is...

Fire - Jib - Fire - Jib - Fire - [Repeat]

The AI wastes a lot of turns. And movement while parallel does nothing. You'll be firing every other round while they're wasting like 2/3 of their actions.

Fire - Jib - Hold (to remove the -30% Jib penalty) - Fire - Jib - Hold - Fire

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

VodeAndreas posted:

So for Xoti's side quest, is there just a certain number of souls she needs to suck up or do I need to visit somewhere specific to advance it?

Just a number of souls, from what I've seen.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Accretionist posted:

I like the over-the-top, "We're on a mission from gahd," dialog options.

I like them quite a bit.

[Squints dramatically while looking at this thread]

I’m on a special mission to agree with this post.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ragequit posted:

[Squints dramatically while looking at this thread]

I’m on a special mission to agree with this post.

[Makes a rude hand gesture.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Eder, five minutes after picking up Xoti: This idiot is too religious, I can't deal with this, we will NEVER be friends

Eder, every single time Xoti talks: [Eothas] :thumbsup: