Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there are few things more satisfying than a big ol' beef beef boy lefty slugger bunting against the shift and then loping his way to first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Why is every highlight of Byron Buxton him running into a wall?

I don't think that's a sustainable career trajectory.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

GalacticAcid posted:

Yea people head straight to the ballpark after work all the time and have laptops with them etc. Just know that a security guard will go through your bag so leave the ganja at home.

Lmao what. Just keep it in your pocket.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sydin posted:

:lol: That loving passive aggressive letter from MLB crying about the MLBPA. I have a feeling MLB's extended labor peace isn't long for the world.

A mariner wore PF Flyers just like this earlier in the season but I didn’t hear about him catching any flack. I think it was Ben Gamel or Taylor Motter?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Which baseball manager is a bad enough dude to bring back the Baltimore chop to beat shifts?

Showalter is so clearly completely checked out and running out his deal (to the point of admitting that he was reluctant to phantom-DL Tillman) that I can't decide whether that makes him more or less likely to do it. The last manager I can remember seeing give less of a gently caress about winning and losing is ... I don't know, gently caress, Bruce Kimm when the Cubs were just playing out the string in 2002?

Timby fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 13, 2018

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Josh Bell just made one of the nicest baserunning moves I’ve seen in a long time

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/Pirates/status/995517355588571136

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sydin posted:

:lol: That loving passive aggressive letter from MLB crying about the MLBPA. I have a feeling MLB's extended labor peace isn't long for the world.

There is going to be a massive strike and it will kill the sport.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rand alPaul posted:

There is going to be a massive strike and it will kill the sport.

Or there will finally be a no-confidence vote in Clark.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I think a lot of the player angst about the CBA will disappear after this upcoming offseason---when the typically more aggressive teams are spending again instead of resetting their luxury taxes.

Clark should have to explain how he failed to see this past offseason coming, though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

Why is every highlight of Byron Buxton him running into a wall?

I don't think that's a sustainable career trajectory.

Real answer: he actually takes a lot of bad routes so he has to use his speed to make up for it but then he can't slow down in time

Also I did not expect to get a split or better off the Angels in LA and I'm real happy we're gonna get it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Whatever it takes to beat the angels just keep doing it. Also: god dang LoMo is a bad DH.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Paracaidas posted:

I think a lot of the player angst about the CBA will disappear after this upcoming offseason---when the typically more aggressive teams are spending again instead of resetting their luxury taxes.

Clark should have to explain how he failed to see this past offseason coming, though.

I do wonder how much of this last offseason's slowness was fueled by an unusually large number of teams either 1) getting ready to tank, 2) just coming off their downtrend, or 3) already having complete rosters. It looks like a lot more teams are prepared to be contenders going into 2019 compared with how things looked at the beginning of this year.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

The unstoppable 2018 Red Machine.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I remember a player for the Giants getting one of those letters a while back. He just got an orange sharpie and drew orange on 51% of his cleats. MLB never followed up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

With players from the Dominican Republic, is the default in baseball to use their maternal last name ?

Or does the player choose ?

Like Pedro Jaime Martinez and José Alberto Pujols Alcántara . One went maternal one went parental.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 13, 2018

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Holy poo poo fire Andrew Friedman

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

apropos Your Cubs being Cubs, someone may have already posted this due to its awesomeness but it owns too hard to pass up:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/995465927087947779

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is this a spoof of the intro to Superbad or did Superbad spoof something else from the seventies that I don’t know about because I’m not old?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
NL Central: Top 4 teams all within a half game of one another. Sellers gonna raid our farm systems. :sigh:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pancakes posted:

NL Central: Top 4 teams all within a half game of one another. Sellers gonna raid our farm systems. :sigh:

On that note, in today's "The Chicago Tribune is loving terrible and I'm glad I stopped paying for digital access ages ago": David Haugh makes the argument that even though the Cubs' farm system is bare and Epstein says he's not doing any more Chapman-esque rentals, the Cubs should let the Orioles have their pick of anyone in the minors for Manny Machado.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Where would they play Machado

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

euphronius posted:

Presumably trade Russell or Baez (keep Javy, I like him).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

Haugh argues that Russell would go in any deal.

quote:

The Cubs, on the other hand, face the urgency of expectations. They can win the World Series without Machado, sure. But they would give themselves a better shot at doing so in 2018 than in the subsequent years they’re trying to preserve by acquiring the superstar player while the Orioles seek a trade partner before losing him for nothing. Even if Machado still tests free agency, the team would get five months to show him how prosperous life as a Cub can be.

Shortstop Addison Russell represents the Cubs’ most expendable position player who’s young and accomplished enough to interest the Orioles as the centerpiece. File this under coincidence or coercion: A struggling Russell responded to the growing Machado buzz by going 5-for-14 with two doubles and a home run in four games last week. Russell, affordably under team control through 2021, gives the Cubs contract certainty, but how often does a team get a chance to upgrade with one of baseball’s biggest stars?

Would a trade proposal of Russell, left-hander Mike Montgomery and Triple-A right-hander Adbert Alzolay, the organization’s top prospect, get the Orioles’ attention? Would it require including either Ian Happ or another top minor-leaguer? Is that a fair price for a pending free agent with the ability to put the Cubs over the top?

“As a rule, we will not be paying premiums for rentals,’’ Epstein said in an interview on WSCR-AM 670. “We just won’t. It’s hard to build an organization that way.’’

Epstein came to the Cubs almost seven years ago with two World Series rings and the benefit of the doubt he still deserves. A third championship altered the identity of the Cubs organization and alerted Cooperstown. It’s as fun as it is fascinating trying to follow Epstein’s mindset on his quest toward a fourth title, and it’s fair to assess his position on this.

Calmly, Epstein acknowledged the significant investments the Cubs already made in this team and espoused the importance of considering “what’s going to happen after 2021.’’ Carefully, he chose words that left open the slim possibility of a deal if Machado’s price continues to drop every day the Orioles wait to deal him, meaning the Cubs could include established players more than future assets. Everything Epstein said sounded logical, and the only thing unclear was whether his target audience was Cubs fans looking for clues or Orioles officials gauging the market.

“We can’t be sacrificing all of our future assets in drafting guys exclusively to trade them,’’ Epstein said. “We have to build the farm system. It’s been used quite a bit to support this group, and we need to start growing the farm back as well.’’

Several factors make this tricky. Giving up promising shortstop Gleyber Torres to the Yankees for closer Aroldis Chapman — who left after three months — helped the Cubs win the 2016 World Series. Trading top prospects Jimenez and pitcher Dylan Cease to the Sox for lefty Jose Quintana helped turn around the 2017 season that ended in the National League Championship Series. But sacrificing another highly regarded minor-leaguer such as Alzolay or Double-A pitcher Oscar De La Cruz in a third consecutive go-for-it deal understandably gives Epstein pause. Sustaining success becomes more challenging by annually raiding the minor-league system to acquire difference-making major-league talent.

But if the Cubs don’t, another National League contender could. Reports mention the Cardinals, Brewers and Dodgers as other teams with heavy interest in Machado, and the Cubs can’t ignore those rumors.

An unknown factor involves what the Cubs suspect about Nationals star Bryce Harper, a good friend of Bryant’s from Las Vegas. Rumors persist that Harper likes the idea of playing for the Cubs, and there is nothing not to like about the possibility of Harper entering his prime in Chicago. But if the Cubs trade for Machado and sign him to an extension, conventional wisdom says it virtually eliminates the option of signing Harper, also a pending free agent.

Bryant, Javier Baez and Kyle Schwarber eventually will need new, large deals. So will Kyle Hendricks and Contreras. Dynasties are expensive, and the Cubs want to build one. Both Machado and Harper could be $300 million players, making it unrealistic even for a team like the Cubs, with a $184 million payroll, to afford more than one franchise player.

An opportunity to get a player like Machado doesn’t come around often. This is one the Cubs should seize.

Edit: Reminder that Adzolay is the Cubs' only Top 100 prospect, and he barely cracked the list at 95.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 13, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Russell for Machado rumors have been flying ever since the offseason, and even more-so now that Addy is struggling and Machado is having an MVP year. There's a rumor that the Cubs kicked the tires with an offer of Russell + Montgomery in the offseason, but the Orioles wanted more so they backed off. Now that Machado is slashing .342/.426/.658 I'm going to wager that price has only gone up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

The Russell for Machado rumors have been flying ever since the offseason, and even more-so now that Addy is struggling and Machado is having an MVP year. There's a rumor that the Cubs kicked the tires with an offer of Russell + Montgomery in the offseason, but the Orioles wanted more so they backed off. Now that Machado is slashing .342/.426/.658 I'm going to wager that price has only gone up.

The one X-factor here is Dan Duquette. This is the guy who's so incompetent that he got tricked into bidding against himself and wound up giving Chris Davis an extra $20 million.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Carlosologist posted:

did you guys see the double shift that the Astros put on Joey Gallo?

https://twitter.com/WatchStadium/status/995137782606647296

The Mariners did this first.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paracaidas posted:

I wish I shared your confidence. I am guessing Machado and Harper both get hosed in free agency.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
If Harper doesn’t get $400 million they should strike immediately

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rand alPaul posted:

I wish I shared your confidence. I am guessing Machado and Harper both get hosed in free agency.

Yeah, I've never bought into the "oh, everyone was just being cheap because of the luxury tax reset" narrative that was getting pushed hard for a while. Passan did the math and for the Dodgers to go over the threshold this season, their incremental cost would have only been a few million bucks, which is a drop in the bucket for the team.

The CBA did exactly what the ownership intended it to do: Impose "cost certainty"--their politically correct term for a salary cap, albeit a soft one--and give them a convenient excuse to not spend, and Clark was too loving stupid to realize what was going on because he was more obsessed with maintaining his precious decades of labor peace in his first negotiation.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Holy poo poo fire Andrew Friedman
is he the reason a bunch of previously good players are bad and injured now?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

Just so long as its not Schwarbs.

It would take at least Russell, Almora, Adzolay.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I doubt Almora would be included since he and Machado are childhood friends and would probably be part of convincing Machado to re-sign in the offseason

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

the popes toes posted:

apropos Your Cubs being Cubs, someone may have already posted this due to its awesomeness but it owns too hard to pass up:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/995465927087947779

CJ looks even skinnier when he's a silhouette.

Mister Perky
Aug 2, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

I remember a player for the Giants getting one of those letters a while back. He just got an orange sharpie and drew orange on 51% of his cleats. MLB never followed up.

Feels good to remember we all eventually forgot about the zany antics of closer Brian Wilson

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

that's not good.

https://twitter.com/ryandivish/status/995740156580818946

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The O's can and should get way more for Machado than an all-glove-no-bat SS, a swingman and a fringe pitching prospect.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Julio Cruz posted:

The O's can and should get way more for Machado than an all-glove-no-bat SS, a swingman and a fringe pitching prospect.

It's just so cute that the Tribune beat guy thinks that would be enough for an MVP-caliber shortstop. Does he not remember last year when the Cubs gave up their last "good" prospect (Candelario) to the Tigers for Justin Wilson (lol) and Alex Avila (:lol:) and pretty much everyone in baseball, the Cubs themselves included, said their cupboard was bare?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Fuckin cano can’t be out for two months. Goddamn it n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

gently caress

• Locked thread