Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

i had this beautiful post lolling at people who still worry about pickpockets, but i guess it got eaten

anyway lol at people who still worry about pickpockets

there are areas of london with signs warning you about pickpockets and watch thieves

money + pedestrians + tradition = pickpockets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

a lad fancied me tradition and nicked me nostalgia

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there is really only one reason

pickpocketing is a skilled profession that only works in places with pedestrian crowds. there are fewer of those today in america than ever before, so there are fewer apprentices to the old hands in crime

afaik the only places you can still be pickpocketed stateside are in nyc

you get what you deserve if you go to Times Square

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

you get what you deserve if you go to Times Square

less times square, more, the subway

never fall asleep on the fuckin subway

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
goddamn snowflake millennials killing the pickpocket industry with their “uber” and “having no money”

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

well yeah it’s hard to do a stealthy colonoscopy to get that toast

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there is really only one reason

pickpocketing is a skilled profession that only works in places with pedestrian crowds. there are fewer of those today in america than ever before, so there are fewer apprentices to the old hands in crime

afaik the only places you can still be pickpocketed stateside are in nyc

and never mind wallets are increasingly worthless to steal. someones visa? three dollars?

i sauspect

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

creationist believer posted:

goddamn snowflake millennials killing the pickpocket industry with their “uber” and “having no money”

lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

whenever a shop has a minimum and the clerk/owner is like “you don’t have $1 cash???” I usually say something about how millennial don’t have cash then go put my stuff back

there is no way I’m spending $5 to get the bag of pretzels I walked in here for dude

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
last night i dreamed about kid pix

e: the imaging software

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yikes

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

whenever a shop has a minimum and the clerk/owner is like “you don’t have $1 cash???” I usually say something about how millennial don’t have cash then go put my stuff back

there is no way I’m spending $5 to get the bag of pretzels I walked in here for dude

card processors will still charge like $0.30 for every transaction on top of the percentage cut. i think big chains get better deals on that but a local shop would lose money on every singleton item sold

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wulfolme posted:

card processors will still charge like $0.30 for every transaction on top of the percentage cut. i think big chains get better deals on that but a local shop would lose money on every singleton item sold

ah that makes more sense, though if that’s the case I’m pretty sure switching to Square would help them with that problem

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

always pay cash at small businesses you bougie gently caress

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

carry on then posted:

it’s a small business because it can be easily replaced by something else, which is what ill prefer to carrying cash around in 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

even farmers markets and kebab stands take card payments, what’s the excuse for a permanent business location?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i just pulled up apples online store, and my exact laptop (which is a late 2013 model) except with a 7th gen processor is like $1500. same amount of ram, same ssd.

what the gently caress apple? how is 8 gigs of ram remotely acceptable for a “pro” computer in 2018? like i really enjoy using osx but if they don’t get some non-trash computers by the time this one dies im gonna end up with a linux laptop and that’s a fate worse than death

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

Achmed Jones posted:

i just pulled up apples online store, and my exact laptop (which is a late 2013 model) except with a 7th gen processor is like $1500. same amount of ram, same ssd.

what the gently caress apple? how is 8 gigs of ram remotely acceptable for a “pro” computer in 2018? like i really enjoy using osx but if they don’t get some non-trash computers by the time this one dies im gonna end up with a linux laptop and that’s a fate worse than death

I'm switching jobs and have to give up a fully kitted out 2017 15" that I was free to use personally without any enterprise management bullshit. I was contemplating getting one but when I looked at the total I just noped out.

I think I'll just use my iPad and Desktop until an acceptable refresh comes out.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the iPhone Xi Presidential Gold Edition edition is your new desktop computer. welcome to the dongleverse

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

carry on then posted:

gently caress small businesses.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

carry on then posted:

sure let me inconvenience myself so I can make sure the small business owner who isn’t aware of how his customers purchase things and is almost always a FYGM kind of person can operate his business perpetually stuck in 1996

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

sure let me inconvenience myself so I can make sure the small business owner who isn’t aware of how his customers purchase things and is almost always a FYGM kind of person can operate his business perpetually stuck in 1996

you know most businesses have a cash discount right

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

echinopsis posted:

and never mind wallets are increasingly worthless to steal. someones visa? three dollars?

it's not just your wallet

watch, phone, etc

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
if you have a debit card the processor takes a smaller cut of those than credit cards if you want less of your money going to a bank

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

liquor store here gives 5% off for cash or debit

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not just your wallet

watch, phone, etc

are stolen phones even worth anything, with how trivial it is to remotely lock them down? i guess you could salvage the screen, but that hardly seems worth the effort

and i dont think millenials wear watches either

i mean i do, but im a weirdo. and its like a $25 casio, so not exactly worth stealing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Raluek posted:

well duh, only rich people wear watches worth fencing:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are areas of london with signs warning you about pickpockets and watch thieves

money + pedestrians + tradition = pickpockets

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

not around here no

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Raluek posted:

are stolen phones even worth anything, with how trivial it is to remotely lock them down? i guess you could salvage the screen, but that hardly seems worth the effort

i mean i do, but im a weirdo. and its like a $25 casio, so not exactly worth stealing

stolen iPhones are bricks. but androids can be rooted really easy, and so are clownshoes. but lol at stealing an android

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
cool iPhone thing:

was showing my bro in law the iCloud.com/find my iPhone interface and what you can do with it, showed what lost mode does and how it looks on the phone when that's activated

found out that lost mode immediately suspends all Apple Pay functionality, and you have to re enter your Apple ID password to re enable all of the payment cards

was like "oh yeah, that makes perfect sense, good job Apple"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cinci zoo sniper posted:

even farmers markets and kebab stands take card payments, what’s the excuse for a permanent business location?

square i thought takes a smaller cut, as does apple pay, so those are okay in my book

idk about other people but if im going to a small shop im normally not buying $1 of stuff, they take tips which i oblige, or im with other people and we buy more than a single thing

Lysidas posted:

found out that lost mode immediately suspends all Apple Pay functionality, and you have to re enter your Apple ID password to re enable all of the payment cards

was like "oh yeah, that makes perfect sense, good job Apple"

whoa that's cool. I was curious how that was handled, too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what’s a minimum. like a minimum sale? wtf? I’ve never heard of that

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

minimum amount to use a credit card

when i worked retail while going to school, it was $5. under that amount, we would lose more money to the credit card fees than we would make from the sale, supposedly

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

echinopsis posted:

many smaller restaurants and stores want a $5 or $10 minimum purchase when using a card. lots of these places don't take amex either since their fees are higher.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i hope some cool new poo poo is announced at wwdc in a couple of weeks because this thread is in bad shape. we just got out of a daily carry derail and are already walking into a credit card derail

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

poty posted:

i hope some cool new poo poo is announced at wwdc in a couple of weeks because this thread is in bad shape. we just got out of a daily carry derail and are already walking into a credit card derail

oh yeah ApplePay owns and any time I have to get a credit card out annoys the poo poo out of me

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Dongslayer. posted:

last night i dreamed about kid pix

e: the imaging software

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

minimum amount to use a credit card

when i worked retail while going to school, it was $5. under that amount, we would lose more money to the credit card fees than we would make from the sale, supposedly

oh

I wish we'd implement that

I used to have people buy an .80c stamp with a CC at an old pharmacy I worked out

but only credit card. what we call eftpos cards dont cost the seller anything only the buyer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Agile Vector posted:

square i thought takes a smaller cut, as does apple pay, so those are okay in my book

oh, our banks here stopped doing that at all. used to be minimal purchase of 1 lvl everywhere (2 dollars), now no one does this poo poo

anyways yeah i dont buy $1 stuff at small shops. not tipping them either, what the gently caress (never seen that thankfully)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they dont

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

cinci zoo sniper posted:

oh, our banks here stopped doing that at all. used to be minimal purchase of 1 lvl everywhere (2 dollars), now no one does this poo poo

anyways yeah i dont buy $1 stuff at small shops. not tipping them either, what the gently caress (never seen that thankfully)

oh tip at food places, coffee shops and the like, not tipping at a bookstore. if im buying coffee im tipping something at a small shop, not starbucks or whatever