Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Nephzinho posted:

D. We have a profitable mine set up and all the heat has been taken away. Let's make sure the minions here have everything they need to keep the mine running and continue to generate gold for us each week. We can post a job listing when we get back to town for a combat-focused baddie to defend the operation from any interlopers//notify us if he takes any prisoners to add to the workforce and keep 30% of the profits for themselves. Alternate. Revenue. Streams.

Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

In an alternate universe, we'd be a cyberpunk villain hacker with the handle of SIEG_FILE:filez:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Blasphemaster posted:

In an alternate universe, we'd be a cyberpunk villain hacker with the handle of SIEG_FILE:filez:

Are we sea hitler? Nah, we're more like sea mengele. :godwin:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Nephzinho posted:

D. We have a profitable mine set up and all the heat has been taken away. Let's make sure the minions here have everything they need to keep the mine running and continue to generate gold for us each week. We can post a job listing when we get back to town for a combat-focused baddie to defend the operation from any interlopers//notify us if he takes any prisoners to add to the workforce and keep 30% of the profits for themselves. Alternate. Revenue. Streams.

Perfect. Let's go with plan Nephzino, then. Maybe we can use this trickle of funds for something like, oh, that Scylla/Charybdis job opening if it's still available? That ought to be good for our CV.

Oh, and we have got to name our would-be heroine turned ray lieutenant Seaglass.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
My net is dead atm. And sod writing an update on my phone. I'll try and het one out on monday.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Grey Hunter posted:

My net is dead atm. And sod writing an update on my phone. I'll try and het one out on monday.

Have you tried using your phone as a mobile hotspot? I find it very handy when my ISP is having fits.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Contract Complete.

With the heat off and enough mining capacity to secure the dwarves contract, Sarga’s mind turns to her next plans. Seaglass begins day to day management of the Crabersons, so she returns to the Dark Isle to move on. She also gave orders for her lab to be disassembled and readied for transport to a new location.
There is no need to end mining at this point, but the area is nothing interesting to Sarga now - any more actions would tip the local heroes to the fact a Dungeon Master is working in the area. What she needs is a low level flunky to do the work for her. Then she can move on to greater things and pocket the cash. This could be the start of a wonderful business empire.

It’s nice to be home, while her room was nice, it was getting a little lonely, and Sarga took a day to relax and reflect on her experiences. She had done well, but there had been a couple of close calls. As she sipped a fine Dark Elf blood wine, she thought put some thought into where she wanted to take her studies from here.

Level up time, do we want to improve -
A - Our Architecture.
B - Our Management
C - Our Magic
D - Our Combat
E - Our Monster handling.

Returning to the Pyramid of Opportunities, she posts a help wanted add, and then goes back to the jobs board. There are a few more Jobs open for the discerning Dungeon Master.

1 - Kill Me. I am King Calimas XXI and I wish to end my life. But to leave a legacy that will be remembered for all time as a man who dies heroically.

2 - Assistant needed to explore great trench and capture a leviathan. Good pay, moderate chance of loss of life.

3 - Kingdom of Essa requires newly developed dungeon to be stocked with monsters. Location and deadliness to be assessed by Dungeon Master. Damage to surrounding areas should be limited.

Then there were the old ones.

4 - “Overpopulation is causing problems in the kingdom of Erldolf. Iridaxian Gol has been charged with solving this, and needs someone to deal with the overfishing of the sapphire lake. Extermination targets will have to be met closely.

5 - “Lord Arcachon Vax wishes to expand his reign of terror, the Village of Innswall will be the site of a new dungeon. The locals should be recruited and offered the standard eternal life package.

6 - Keep looking (free Choice.)

While she was looking, she began to get a few chimes on her mobile crystal as people began to answer the job advert

You know what, Free choice on the Site manager. The gems will be worth 500 gold a week, but the site manager will take a cut depending on how good he is - a poor manager will take 10%, but increases the chance of something going wrong. An average manager will ask for 25%, and should do okay until the Heroes turn up, or (s)he goes rouge. A good manager will take 50%, but will be dependable and able to hold and maybe even expand the mine over time.

quote:

Mana = 3/40
Gold = 1,000
Time until next delivery needed - 5 days.

Crates on hand - 0.644

Minions -
1 Dark Lieutenant.
2 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
4 Crabbersons.

Mining rate - 1 crates a week. (0.142 per day)

Some nice choices here. Get to it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D
Good Manager

Now that we have experience taking care of people who get too close to the water, we could probably ask for a bit more this time. We had a little trouble capturing the harder targets last time, so combat would help. Having the mine is basically a bonus so we might as well staff it with someone skilled.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

C2
Good Manager

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 14, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

D
Good manager
(but make sure they're not too ambitious! We don't want them cutting us out.)

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

6 The Treasure Fleet of the Kolpertan Kingdom recently sunk in a storm while on the way back from the colonies. The Dread Piratess Angelique is now looking for someone to salvage as much of the wreckage as possible before Kolpertan Heroes and the Atlantean Royal Guard pick it clean. Applicant will receive a percentage of the recovered loot as payment. A bonus will be paid for every hero and guard captain that dies during the recovery process.
C - Improve magic and get a good supervisor

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Sure, but ultimately we are a creature crafting dungeon master. I think we probably want to focus our first level-up on what befits
a) Sarga herself,
b) Sarga's dungeons,
c) Sarga's creature craft,
d) Sarga's spells.

So let's go with C, magic. 4 looks like another aquatic environs, so let's go with that. And finally let's go with a Good Manager. It's a safe option, allows for steady revenue, and potentially expansion.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
C Magic was our main limit in the previous mission.
1 Also ruin his kingdom while we're at it.
Good Get a safe source of income.

Can we see about getting some Troll Flame Warriors on retainer for when we need to spread rumours and division?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

sheep-dodger posted:

6 The Treasure Fleet of the Kolpertan Kingdom recently sunk in a storm while on the way back from the colonies. The Dread Piratess Angelique is now looking for someone to salvage as much of the wreckage as possible before Kolpertan Heroes and the Atlantean Royal Guard pick it clean. Applicant will receive a percentage of the recovered loot as payment. A bonus will be paid for every hero and guard captain that dies during the recovery process.

This looks neat. We've also already established ourselves as being good at these kind of jobs so why not build a brand?

Good Manager, D

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

C2 Good Manager

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

B
Good Manager

Let's take a nice "easy" job suited to our skills while we recoup our mana and build a nice resource stockpile.

2 would be fun, but we wouldn't necessarily get any leviathan parts for ourselves to play with.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Dinictus posted:

So let's go with C, magic. 4 looks like another aquatic environs, so let's go with that. And finally let's go with a Good Manager. It's a safe option, allows for steady revenue, and potentially expansion.

C4 to Good Manager

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

C4 Good manager

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
C
Good manager

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
C
Good

Building a Dungeon with the blessing of the ruling kingdom is a sweet cushy job. Noone is going to gently caress with us until its ready and then we can gtfo before the hero's turn up to get slaughtered. Also, since it's a government funded project we can probaby use it to develop some political clout and/or blackmail politicians, or at the least project overruns will increase costs that can find our way directly into our tentacles.

'We're going to build an expensive wall themed dungeon, and we're going to make Essa pay for it'

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
C1 Good Manager
We can build a big scary monster, have it rampage around for a bit, the king shows up and deals a "lethal blow" only to be killed by the monster's "death spasms".

...and while everyone's watching that we send the crabbersons round to rob the treasury.

We can probably get him to send us some people he doesn't like as spare parts first.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Splicer posted:

We can build a big scary monster, have it rampage around for a bit, the king shows up and deals a "lethal blow" only to be killed by the monster's "death spasms".

...and while everyone's watching that we send the crabbersons round to rob the treasury.

We can probably get him to send us some people he doesn't like as spare parts first.

The last monster we built as a fake fight devoured the person who was supposed to defeat it. It's not a great track record with theatrical battles is all I'm saying.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Not Alex posted:

The last monster we built as a fake fight devoured the person who was supposed to defeat it. It's not a great track record with theatrical battles is all I'm saying.
We want to devour this guy though.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

....monster becomes kings best friend.....

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

AC
Good

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

C1 Good Manager

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

sheep-dodger posted:

C - Improve magic and get a good supervisor

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We're gong magic and a good supervisor, but job wise 2 and 4 are tying!

TIEBREAKER!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Interviews.

Another couple of days pass. and soon Sarga spends her time head deep in her books - often two or three at a time. (Tentacles have their uses). She improves her knowledge and learns a few more tricks.
Gollumn’s Grimoire gives her a few good tips on casting more and bigger spells. Though the tome has a bad reputation for being hard to read, mainly as it is done in the third person, and there is a limit on the number of times a reader can process the name Gollumn. Especially when the author puts it at the start and end of most sentences!

By then there were plenty of applications for the role of manager of the Sapphire mines. She booked herself some time in an interview room. This and some other general things cost her 100 gold. The Guilds must have their due.

The room was dark except for the central summoning circle. She takes her seat in a nice bath and sets the misting to a nice level for herself. The system was costly, but came with some perks. When she was finally ready she summoned the first applicant.

A huge blob appears in front of her, a tie had been around its neck, but a slip of concentration had lead to it being absorbed, and it was now being digested.
”Slob glob blug-glub… and the opportunity that comes with it.” Looking at the Gelatinous cubes resume it looked impressive enough, but there was one thing bothering her. She let it continue for a while before interrupted.
I’m sorry, but I was looking at your species data, it says here you have an allergy to salt.”
”Oh gods yes, one touch and I’d shrivel up and die. Quite horrific.” the blob replies.
”You do realize that this job takes place in salt water right? You did fully read the job description.
”erm”. What a waste of time. Sarga was tempted to give it the job anyway, but the inevitable lawsuit would cripple her finances. Next

The Next applicant was a hydra, massive and impressive looking, she had no idea why he had not been hired before.
”Hi there boss.” One of the heads started.
”Oh great, start off informally and make us look unprofessional.” another puts in, in a slightly different voice.
”Shut it. You’ll blow the whole deal.”
Great, multiple personality disorder and multiple heads. Next.

....As you can see, I can project a point two five percent increase per quarter, this is of course without further investment on your behalf. Yawn. Next.

”Heya Sexy.
NEXT!

This applicant is a large, scarred man with a wooden leg and a cane. Valen Haardckla his CV said.
“Good afternoon miss. If it’s still afternoon. I hear you have a mine that needs running.”
”I do. I see you have experience. Could you tell me about yourself?” Sarga replies.
”Sure. I’ve been mining where man should not mine for thirty years now, and its time to settle down in a nice simple job and work up a retirement fund. I lost me leg in the last job you see, an angry craw worm. The mining is never the problem, its the locals you have to watch out for!” Valen excluded a quiet confidence, and his resume was excellent.
”Do you have any issues working with indentured minions? Crab and shrimp people to be clear.”
”As long as they know their place, or can be put in their place, no.” He replies.
”Good. Then I think you are hired. There is a bit of a swim between my old lair and the mines, but I’m sure you can make your own accommodations nearer. The locals have been thrown off the scent, so it should be quiet for a good time yet.”
”Excellent. I shall report in as soon as I have the lay of the land. Valen disappears. At least there was one good candidate amongst the pile of dross.

Now it was time for her own interview.
Overpopulation of the Sapphire lake. What was it with humans and calling all blue waters ‘Sapphire’ I suppose that’s what happens when you are made to be the most numerous species on the planet, originality must take a hit.
As she appears in the cone of light, she notes how different it appears to be on this side.
Iridaxian Gol is a Lich, a seven foot tall walking skeleton with a rather over the top style of dressing that was probably fashionable a hundred years ago.
”Ms Scrawgill, a pleasure to meet you.” The voice was kindly, despite sounding like it was being intoned deep into her skull. Necromancers, always showing off.
”Likewise Lord Gol.”
”So, you are willing to help me reduce the population of The Kingdom of Erldolf. They have had a bad year for the harvests, so the fishermen are catching more fish to make up the losses. The king is worried that this will lead to a collapse in the fish stocks and general famine. He has made the hard choice to sacrifice a controlled portion of the population to save the majority. I can deal with the land based villages, but there are some by the lake that I wish someone else to handle. The change in style will prevent the peasants from realising that they are being exterminated. Any Questions?”[b]

quote:

Mana = 45/45
Gold = 900

Minions -
Seaglass, the Stingray Lieutenant.

[b]At the Sapphire Isle

Valen Haardckla, Supervizor.
2 Mantis-pistol-shrimp man.
4 Crabbersons.
Mining rate - 250 gold a week.

So, along with any questions, We also have to deicide on our bid.

What do we think we’re worth?

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 27, 2018

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Last job was 2 grand for a whole lotta Sapphires. I imagine a good chunk of that was the value of the gems, with the rest being our labor fee. Considering that this is a more hazardous task due to much higher likelihood of drawing the attention of heroes, we can call the difference hazard pay. Then a slight increase due to our experience and resources.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

We need to know what kind of resistance we will be facing. Are these peasants fishing with thread and sticks, or are we going against a hearty village of whale hunting BAMFs? Any known heroes in the area?

The 2000 was a low risk retrieval job, this is hazardous wet work (heh). Let's ask for six and settle for five.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Plus I guarantee the dwarves weren't generous.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nephzinho posted:

We need to know what kind of resistance we will be facing. Are these peasants fishing with thread and sticks, or are we going against a hearty village of whale hunting BAMFs? Any known heroes in the area?

The 2000 was a low risk retrieval job, this is hazardous wet work (heh). Let's ask for six and settle for five. intelligent questions and withhold quoting until we have enough info.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Interview Part II.

"What would the resistance be?" Sarga asks. It's better to know who is trying to kill you before you get there.
"I have already distracted a lot of the more famous heroes, and there is only one in the area, a retired rogue known as Alabaster Meche. He is old, but his mind is still sharp. As for the locals, they have been living off the fat of the land for a good time, they have a militia, but it's not well trained or equipped. The Fishermen have had a few issues with some larger predators, but they have eradicated them in the last few years. the whole area is unsuspecting. That said, good transport links to the capital means that help could be sent within a week."
"I will be requiring you to destroy two villages if you accept the job. The fewer survivors the better."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hrm. That's a lot of killing.

How obvious does Lord Gol want it to be that a Dungeon Master was involved? Or would he prefer this look like what passes for natural causes in these parts?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Maybe we could build the dungeon as a trap for the militia and collapse it on them when they get too close, drown them underwater. Maybe Meche could be convinced to look the other way for an opportunity to loot the homes of the deceased.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Doubt it. Retired hero? Dude likely does not want for cash. Besides, could have been one of those Lawful Rogues who specialized in magical IED disposal.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I hate to type cast myself, but this sounds like a job for wandering monstrosities. Unleash a plague of hybrids to slaughter the villages. Two villages, one hero, that's one dead village. Wait until he goes to check out the other village, unleash the third wave on the remaining village. Then get the hell out of dodge.

I'd say 4k minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

This is going to be somewhat dangerous work with an intelligent enemy, able bodied residents, and nearby reinforcements. Dude is subcontracting to us, let's not get screwed on price while his reputation gets all the benefit. 6k base fee, and an additional 1k for every hero we kill - every hero that comes to us is a hero that doesn't come to him.