Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Oh look, Firefox added GPO support today

edit: additional links:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/enterprise/
https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templates/releases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

It looked fine up until I got to the .cfg and complex preferences and then I just laughed

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Partycat posted:

Call up and just say you want it requeued. When they ask to contact your engineer just say no. Different times of day get you different people, some better than others.

Calling in TTYOOL 2018. I want everything in a paper trail these days.

Anyway, I have taken one last attempt at using simple English to explain the issue. If that doesn't help I am asking for a different engineer.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
It's been awhile since I've used WebEx and hoo boy was I surprised it's been bought out by Cisco and made even shitter.

There's a bunch of company wide GDPR briefings going on and allllllll going wrong; the web client doesn't work from the point of being actually useful, and the local client requires two pieces of software to be installed in addition to requiring a microphone which confuses the hell out of everyone (Why yes please blindly trust installing all the stuff for a security briefing). So we've had a bunch of firefighting of basically handing out every remaining headsets we've got and handholding people through the setup process, plus doing a stupid workaround of plugging headphones in microphone ports to dupe the software into working.

dumpsterfire.gif

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So my old employer dragged rear end on paying my last check and vacation. In California this is known as not cool.

I have a conference at the labor commissioners office in an hour. They actually have since paid me, but I could be owed as much as 5000 from them delaying it so long.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Oh fuuuuuuuuuuuck yes.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

skooma512 posted:

So my old employer dragged rear end on paying my last check and vacation. In California this is known as not cool.

I have a conference at the labor commissioners office in an hour. They actually have since paid me, but I could be owed as much as 5000 from them delaying it so long.

Nice, take them for every penny you can.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

fishmech posted:

You're both forgetting that the radio system it relies on for communication gets completely drowned out by one janitor radioing another janitor to bring over more sawdust because a kid puked in building 5. The whole method of communicating between the buildings need to be replaced with something saner and that's the real cost there. Sounds like they're going to do what should have been done decades ago and get hardwired links between the buildings for the HVAC controls.

Doesn't do any good to replace the old computer with a new one when the communication method you're hooking into can still be taken down by someone using a walkie-talkie.

Fair point.

xzzy posted:

Sounds like a job for a pringle can and an arduino.

We just found out the other day that our VERY EXPENSIVE video teleconferencing room control situation was partially controlled by a loving Arduino, because it poo poo itself. Not even one of the stripped down little nanos, a full size Arduino. I love the hardware and concept, but it's not suitable for a conference room with high demands for uptime costing thhhouuuusssaaaands of dollars.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Arduino is great for hobby-ing and prototyping but when it absolutely must run you best be finding something else.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

skooma512 posted:

It's not boat money, but it's loving nice.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bunni-kat posted:

It's not boat money, but it's loving nice.

It sure is.

But I’ll have to wait some more, they didn’t show up to the conference. I’ll get a hearing scheduled in 6 to 9 months.

I’m pretty confident I can get a judgement in my favor for the penalty. There’s no argument to be made, they paid me when they paid me, and that wasn’t in keeping with the law.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

skooma512 posted:

It sure is.

But I’ll have to wait some more, they didn’t show up to the conference. I’ll get a hearing scheduled in 6 to 9 months.

I’m pretty confident I can get a judgement in my favor for the penalty. There’s no argument to be made, they paid me when they paid me, and that wasn’t in keeping with the law.

Beautiful, them not showing up and not paying you on time is good for you getting more money from them in a judgement.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I reported one of the first places I worked for, for like the last 2-3 weeks of pay (they wrongly withheld it because I went to work for a client). Of course, I won.

Pissed the guy off and he then tried suing me for like 6 different things. The judge sided with him one thing, a laptop that I 'stole'. So not only did I have a warrant out for my arrest, I had some bullshit on my credit report that they never reported after it was all settled.

I didn't steal the laptop, but here's what happened:

Year end rolls around. Hey Bob, you want $2,500 for a bonus that we'll have to tax you for, or do you want me to just buy $2,500 worth of stuff from Dell and you can have it?

Dell stuff! So I configured a pretty decent Pentium III Dell laptop. Gave to me when I came in.

Of course, I had no proof of this in court. The judge asked if I had it, I said I sold it on eBay for $700, judge said "computers lose value pretty quickly so you don't owe $2500 you owe $700."

A couple months later I found the invoice for it at my apartment, with 'Bob's bonus' written on it in his handwriting. He showed a judge a copy of the invoice without that writing on it. Fucker.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Intune runs PowerShell scripts in a 32-bit environment :argh:. A real pain in the dick if you’re calling built-in Windows executables, in this case pnputil. Need to call the sysnative version instead to get it to non bomb out. Took me too long to figure that one out as every test I was running was in the 64-bit environment.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

poo poo pissing me off this week:

Space is at a premium in this office, and I have two cubicles. My second cubicle is a workbench/desk for contractors. Other departments keep trying to poach my second cube. The most recent power move involved a VP simply informing HR that her new employee was going in my cube, but not saying anything to IT or facilities. The employee starts on Monday and I still wouldn't know if I hadn't explicitly asked HR where the new employee was going to be sitting when we got the new hire notification.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm about to lose my poo poo. Spent a good 20 odd hours imaging a bunch of intel sticks last week, even stayed till midnight one day because poo poo kept breaking for no good reason. The image that I finally got working was using was one that a coworker gave me, one that I explicitly confirmed with him that I was using. Turns out that it wasn't generalized so everything has the same sid.

Incredibly annoying, but thankfully, I have a tool that I can use to change the SID (stratesave's sidchg), already purchased and licensed, that I can use to fix the problem in about 30 minutes flat!

Same co-worker "that's more hacking around in our environment and I'd feel better if we reimaged them all."

Thankfully loving christ everything was in writing.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 10, 2018

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Agrikk posted:

it’s fun having my own email service provider but anyone trying this for their organization should just go get o365 and be done with it.

This has pretty much been our line for all our clients for the past three years. I'm sure there's an argument to be made that I'm not as knowledgeable a sysadmin anymore because I don't remember all the ins and outs of setting up Exchange, dealing with connectors, fun with SSL certs, spam filtering, and so on, but counterpoint:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

re: lovely chrome lag and chunkiness

Go to chrome://settings and disable hardware acceleration (under advanced). Made the world of difference for me almost immediately. Something to do with it not playing nicely with recent windows updates, not completely sure nor am I completely willing to dig into it to find out why.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Paladine_PSoT posted:

re: lovely chrome lag and chunkiness

Go to chrome://settings and disable hardware acceleration (under advanced). Made the world of difference for me almost immediately. Something to do with it not playing nicely with recent windows updates, not completely sure nor am I completely willing to dig into it to find out why.
Sometimes disabling it helps, sometimes enabling it helps, sometimes you'll need to flip it after an update.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I picked my Shortel phone system I wanted... it sounds like the owner is forcing me to buy a Cisco from a chamber of commerce buddy. Ugh.

Why didn't you just tell me that before I went and got quotes and all that poo poo.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I just found out that all-nighter was for nothing :bang:

When I finally traced down these bugs it revealed that due to the stupid way these processor and helper functions on the back end are built, my changes (removing that raw CC data and using a stripe token) will break the whole thing. It CAN be done, but requires much larger refactoring of those systems to match, which is way outside the scope of this story.

So now I have the most anticlimactic PR up with the code basically exactly how it looked at the end of day Monday, and I need a loving drink.

Myrridinos
Jan 7, 2010
Went out to a business client. They had a computer suffer hardware failure and after spending some time running on a loaner we provided they bought a replacement.

Replacement was a refurbished Core2Duo computer that is coming up on its 10th birthday with operating system corruption out of the gate. The cost of just me showing up exceeds the value of the unit.

I'm all for doing refurbished when you on a budget, but who in their right mind randomly buys a 10 year old refurbished computer for their business?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

This has pretty much been our line for all our clients for the past three years. I'm sure there's an argument to be made that I'm not as knowledgeable a sysadmin anymore because I don't remember all the ins and outs of setting up Exchange, dealing with connectors, fun with SSL certs, spam filtering, and so on, but counterpoint:

Who gives a poo poo is the correct answer.

I did it for “fun” and to remain current at it, but I think this will very quickly become esoteric knowledge at best. Just like knowing how to shuffle IRQ settings on hardware pre-PnP days.

...and please shoot me if I ever fall back into a sysadmin role that has me tending an exchange server installation.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Agrikk posted:

Who gives a poo poo is the correct answer.

I did it for “fun” and to remain current at it, but I think this will very quickly become esoteric knowledge at best. Just like knowing how to shuffle IRQ settings on hardware pre-PnP days.

...and please shoot me if I ever fall back into a sysadmin role that has me tending an exchange server installation.

Last job had a dedicated Exchange admin. Which also meant that simple issues that tier 1 could easily solve would go to him instead. I think they went for a hybrid environment now

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
My latest project was setting up and migrating to a new, properly setup Exchange 2016. This has been going really well and we awere scheduled to kill the old 2012er within the next few months. Now my colleague was scheduled to do MS-Server maintenance and the update failed.
Somehow, he found someone online saying that installing CU9 is the solution to this problem, and while in a failed halfstate of Windows Updates decided to start the CU9 install. He kept working on it all night until he reached a state where the server wouldn't boot at all. Now I have been spending all day untangling this mess.
Most likely the windows update failed because the system partition only had 7 GB left. I restored the OS to a working state and updated it to the most current version. The Exchange server is still broken af and I've tried jsut about everything to some how get CU9 to finish installing now.

This is not how I wanted to spend my saturday...

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

xzzy posted:

Sounds like a job for a pringle can and an arduino.

This post reminded me of the Detroit fire stations using cans filled with change on top of a Laserjer 4 to know when a call came in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGowJP3paeI

That HVAC system doesn't look so bad now...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

When did Melissa McCarthy start doing news reports?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sirotan posted:

This post reminded me of the Detroit fire stations using cans filled with change on top of a Laserjer 4 to know when a call came in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGowJP3paeI

That HVAC system doesn't look so bad now...

Faygo. Now that’s true Detroit pride.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We had someone quit last week.

So far 3 people have emailed me asking "hey bob can you forward me X's emails! Thanks!"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

STOP USING OUTLOOK RULES EMAIL FOR MISSION CRITICAL poo poo, PEOPLE

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, just so everyone knows, MILLIONS of healthcare records a day are flying around via SMTP and SMIME encryption.

https://h22168.www2.hpe.com/docs/orion/RS971_Demystifying_DSM_WhitePaper.pdf

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

FYI, just so everyone knows, MILLIONS of healthcare records a day are flying around via SMTP and SMIME encryption.

And you just know that the fucktards who actually want to use fax will use this as some "proof" that email is insecure, of course while their document containing private information sits on top of a fax machine in some office.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

wolrah posted:

And you just know that the fucktards who actually want to use fax will use this as some "proof" that email is insecure, of course while their document containing private information sits on top of a fax machine in some office.

But using the faxes/printers that print when you swipe your badge is too inconvenient! This is affecting my tee time patient care!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bull3964 posted:

You mean the same SMIME method that just had a major vulnerability announced? :v:

I also love how the pdf is hosted on a server with an expired certificate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

xzzy posted:

You mean the same SMIME method that just had a major vulnerability announced? :v:

Yup, that was kind of my point.

That said, I'm not 100% sure if it's feasible to exploit HISP architecture with this vulnerability due to the extra signing and trust framework that's part of the standard.

But yeah, patent records are increasingly emailed because EHR programs are terrible and most healthcare orgs can't setup an SFTP to save their lives. HISP was developed as a way to try to do all that securely and all the EHR software has to know how to do is send an email to a HISP gateway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I get to go try to convince our leadership team that we need an IP phone system today. FUN

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

bull3964 posted:

This is nowhere near the worst thing going on in. I spent 13 years in healthcare It and there was some really dumb poo poo in that time. EMR systems with generic logins whose access wasn’t logged and the passwords stored in an open internal wiki, Pharmacy machines with generic pins that everyone knew, all kinds of poo poo. We had people that got terminated who had access two years after the fact that got found during an audit. The people who were supposed to be terminating access just weren’t doing it.

Everyone who supported systems has way too much access (l1 helpdesk could access medical records) and way too much work was done with generic accounts because the hospitals didn’t want to pay for additional licenses for software. Some of it got tightened down but that whole industry scares the poo poo out of me now.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When I worked at a hospital our HIPAA compliant hard drive disposal container was a Pelican rolling case secured with a bicycle cable lock.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

bull3964 posted:

Here in the UK, when Social Care authorities and Health (NHS) need to send details to each other like cases or referrals, they will still fax each other. So typically, you have a team sending an email to a gateway that sends to a SIP gateway that then dials a remote "fax machine" which is always another Fax to Email server, which then gets picked up and delivered as an email in an inbox someplace. Instead of just sending an email which of course we can track and report on far better than a goddamn screech being shunted down a bunch of ATA's.

Depending on who you ask, this is either "safer", "better" or "We've always done it like this and $other_party can't change, so shut up we're stuck with it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, fax really isn't an option when you have datafeeds of hundreds of thousands of patient records a day that need to be sent between automated systems.