Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Has anyone gotten a sneko eye deck to work, or have any tips for using it? I've read that it's supposedly considered pretty powerful but most of the times I've tried it it doesn't seem to do much at all. Like I just get a bunch of cards and end up using maybe 1 or 2 a turn.

Also, playing the Defect has to be the most frustrating class. When everything falls together you feel super powerful, but I swear it seems like there's so few generically good cards that there's a ton of times you just seem to fall apart if you don't get the right support.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Personally Snecko Eye is the one relic I will never take. I loathe Sneckos because I almost always try to limit the number of 2 and 3 cost cards in my deck pretty heavily and thus I end up with a ton of 1 and 0 cost cards, which are basically never better under Confusion. Snecko Eye would be something you could absolutely build around if you got it super early (like if you got it from the whale) and could fill your deck with expensive cards, but that happens so incredibly rarely.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Snecko Eye is only good if you have a decent number of 2- or 3-cost cards in your deck already when you pick it, especially if a 3-cost card is a linchpin for your deck, like Echo Form or Bludgeon. The extra draw helps offset the confusion. But I pretty much never take it as Silent since I'm rarely rocking more than a couple expensive cards so it's statistically very unlikely to help out overall.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

alansmithee posted:

Has anyone gotten a sneko eye deck to work, or have any tips for using it? I've read that it's supposedly considered pretty powerful but most of the times I've tried it it doesn't seem to do much at all. Like I just get a bunch of cards and end up using maybe 1 or 2 a turn.

Unless you always have Runic Pyramid first or your deck is all 0-costs, it usually helps more than it hurts. Humans aren't great at observing that, though. It's especially good after the first boss, then you will just pick the most powerful cards at every opportunity. There are some tricks to get extra value: Bullet Time, card draw in general, Ice Cream (don't pay 2 for a strike just because you can, when next turn it might power something more important).

Naive analysis (EV of costs isn't everything): a 1 cost card will become 0 as often as 2, the times it remains 1 are irrelevant, and 1/4 times it will cost 3. But you draw 2 (1.5) extra cards, so losing 1.25 from your hand is fine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The main thing for a Snecko deck is that you don't want to be relying on one clutch card.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

On average, Snecko is really good. But against some bosses or elites, one unlucky turn can kill you, or at least force you to rest at a campfire when you didn't want to. You need more ways to handle bad luck with Snecko, like Orichalcum, loads of draw, or Bullet Time.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

rchandra posted:

Unless you always have Runic Pyramid first or your deck is all 0-costs, it usually helps more than it hurts. Humans aren't great at observing that, though. It's especially good after the first boss, then you will just pick the most powerful cards at every opportunity. There are some tricks to get extra value: Bullet Time, card draw in general, Ice Cream (don't pay 2 for a strike just because you can, when next turn it might power something more important).

Naive analysis (EV of costs isn't everything): a 1 cost card will become 0 as often as 2, the times it remains 1 are irrelevant, and 1/4 times it will cost 3. But you draw 2 (1.5) extra cards, so losing 1.25 from your hand is fine.

this kind of abstract analysis is fine but you will still come across cases where you get 1 high energy card that costs 0 and then the rest are low energy cards that cost 2 or 3 and that will hurt. snecko eye is a high risk/reward relic, and while its risks can be mitigated you can never be certain it’s not going to throw you an impossible hand at the worst possible moment.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I don't think I've played a daily yet that didn't force you to be the Silent. Does the other guy just never get daily challenges?

the beta branch has had tons of defect dailies since his implementation

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Everyone should at least try Snecko Defect because that can be really fun.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

BBJoey posted:

this kind of abstract analysis is fine but you will still come across cases where you get 1 high energy card that costs 0 and then the rest are low energy cards that cost 2 or 3 and that will hurt. snecko eye is a high risk/reward relic, and while its risks can be mitigated you can never be certain it’s not going to throw you an impossible hand at the worst possible moment.

Yeah, that's why I said it was naive. But in practice you get a lot better hands than that, since you will use your 0/1-cost draw to draw more 0-cost, then play all your 0-cost cards and the 1-cost Bludgeon or whatever - you don't need to accept the averages. For example my deck that just unlocked Ascension 12 just took Snecko over Sozu, with a couple of 2 costs (Perfected Strike and Fiend Fire) and a Barricade. The sheer power carried me through the rest, just took mostly 2+ costs. Of course it was Ironclad, so halfway through the third area I have multiple Feel No Pain and decisions barely matter...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Probably the first time I've had such a rad turn 1 hand for my current setup

https://i.imgur.com/CMd81mG.gifv

the perfect enemy to wear away with poison too, with bonus get hosed potion :v:

er wait oops is it ok that it's embedding that gifv

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 15, 2018

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The daily today (yesterday's by now?) was sick. I rolled an Ice Cream for the Defect along with the curse synergy 3-pack and got to drop a 13-energy upgraded Electromagnetic Tempest on the Awakened One's rear end.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

alansmithee posted:

Also, playing the Defect has to be the most frustrating class. When everything falls together you feel super powerful, but I swear it seems like there's so few generically good cards that there's a ton of times you just seem to fall apart if you don't get the right support.

Only Snecko Eye run I've had work well was a Defect run where I got an early Meteor, which is a hilariously busted combo.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
Am I just super lucky or is this game shockingly easy? I picked it up and won my first try going in blind. While I feel like I could fall in love with the mechanics and optimizing stuff, the game never felt challenging even while I was basically picking up cards at random based on "ooh, this looks cool", so I fear that it will get boring fast if I really dig into it.

Or is there some kind of difficulty setting I'm missing?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

Am I just super lucky or is this game shockingly easy? I picked it up and won my first try going in blind. While I feel like I could fall in love with the mechanics and optimizing stuff, the game never felt challenging even while I was basically picking up cards at random based on "ooh, this looks cool", so I fear that it will get boring fast if I really dig into it.

Or is there some kind of difficulty setting I'm missing?

There is a difficulty setting called Ascension that goes up to 15 levels. Also there was probably a lot of luck on your side. Ascension 15 will never be consistent though, it's hard enough even the best players in the world don't get much better than 60-70% winrate in Ascension 15, and when they're trying to streak A15 they literally just play the same strategy every run because it's the only consistent method.

Also I just lost a really painful Defect A8 thanks to Time Eater. Had a ridiculous 0-cost run with 4 upgraded Scrapes, All For One, Seek and upgraded Hologram to find All For One, Kunai, and something like 18 0 cost cards with bonus 2 Madness to make other things cost 0. I got up to 9 dex and stalled for as long as I could on Time Eater but he got me on an unlucky hand with only 1 Defend when he was at around 60 health. I feel pretty cheated.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Is Envenom something anyone ever took as a deliberate choice for something other than a desperate relic-dictated swerve from shivs to poison?

I finally got to appreciate thousand cuts and nightmare (the latter in particular) so I'm wondering.

Guildencrantz posted:

Am I just super lucky or is this game shockingly easy?

Probably lucky. The last time I saw someone with a similar claim to a blind run win on reddit or somewhere it turned out he had a poo poo deck, but a lucky set of relics that happened to carry him. Then again, my first run ended deep within the last floor and then I kept getting consistently worse for a while.

Having said that, I find the other two characters much more interesting to play than the Ironclad.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Lichtenstein posted:

Is Envenom something anyone ever took as a deliberate choice for something other than a desperate relic-dictated swerve from shivs to poison?

It's basically a slightly worse Inflame, but that's still not bad if you've got a lot of multi-attack stuff or shivs. I like it.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Just because you draft a card doesn't mean you have to play it in every fight.

JAX is probably the biggest example of that for classes that aren't Ironclad.

I never get Dealer -> Junkie. I either get 1 one run and the next the other or i get them both in the same run but i meet the addict first so i have never completed that event on 2 separate accounts.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I never give the JAX to the junkie anyway, if I bought it I want it. I'm just not gonna toss it out in every hallway fight since that's 3 damage I might not have to actually take.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Osmosisch posted:

It's basically a slightly worse Inflame, but that's still not bad if you've got a lot of multi-attack stuff or shivs. I like it.

Good synergy with Catalyst, too.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tonfa posted:

Good synergy with Catalyst, too.

Is it? I'd think a proper poison-stacking deck would much rather run, well, poison cards. Like, Poisoned Stab is already underwhelming for this poo poo.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Lichtenstein posted:

Is it? I'd think a proper poison-stacking deck would much rather run, well, poison cards. Like, Poisoned Stab is already underwhelming for this poo poo.

A poison deck only really needs one or two dedicated poison cards per cycle. Envenom also gives ticks for all of your incidental Slices, Sucker Punches and Cloak&Daggers etc, putting you into profitable multiplication range much faster. If you're hardcore into Shivs you can even pick a Cata with just Envenom as your poison source to greatly accelerate your clock.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'm sure they're pretty bad overall and much worse once you start climbing ascension, but I adore rupture decks with the self-damage powers. I got a deck rolling with 3 offering+ and brutality+ and it made demon form look like dumb garbage for babies.

I'm sure basically any deck that includes 3 offerings is going to do well but with double rupture I could hit up to +12~ strength on the first turn and start gaining +4 every turn after that.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
iron wave is a p safe choice on ironclad, right? not amazing at either thing it does but it does both of them

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Tollymain posted:

iron wave is a p safe choice on ironclad, right? not amazing at either thing it does but it does both of them

A solid and unspectacular early attack. The only reason it isn't as good as Dash/Cloak and dagger is those have very powerful synergies, either with Necronomicon/Snecko Eye or After Image/Envenom/Accuracy/Kunai/Everything.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also i just beat the spire for the first time, time eater didnt really know what to do about a barricade deck w 3 entrench and body slam cards and also apotheosis

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tollymain posted:

Eehhh it's poor damage for an Ironclad card and unremarkable block, the only reason I would want it is if I'm really thirsty for block.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wanderer posted:

The daily today (yesterday's by now?) was sick. I rolled an Ice Cream for the Defect along with the curse synergy 3-pack and got to drop a 13-energy upgraded Electromagnetic Tempest on the Awakened One's rear end.

Lucky you. I took the wrong path and didn't even make it out of Act I.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Picked an Electrodynamics over Echo Form at Neow. Built my deck around it and managed to advance to A12. Such a great card when it's upgraded. I hope it doesn't get cut like other Defect greats during this beta.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Yeah, Electrodynamics singlehandedly enables A15 lightning orb decks. Thunder Strike is not even close in damage output in my experience. Just had a really good deck with 3 ball lightnings for attacks and electrodynamics. Still had a couple of close calls in 3rd act cause Defect is so goddamn fragile and a single Glacier doesn't cut it for defense.

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Just hit A13 thanks to Electrodynamics+ again. Managed to Echo Form it and hit Time Eater for 8 orbs x 8 damage x 4 hits each while he had 227 health. All my Buffers had just run out and I was about to die. (Bottled Echo Form was the real MVP but still...)

Lozareth fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 16, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Would anyone like to offer some basic advice on playing blue roboboy? I'm gonna just wade in of course but some posts to read afterward for how I hosed up completely would be nice :v:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just from watching streamers: the basic archetypes and synergies I'm seeing is Scrape going well with 0 cost cards but must be picked early, hologram fills the same role as headbutt for cards like Claw, powers are redonkulous, hyperbeam is great for act 1 and act 2 elites but disqualifies you from using your orbs, the gain 4 focus lose 1 focus per turn can wait for the second cycle, and you can go for a really really fat deck cuz Skim is just a better Acrobatics and they get seek for your combos and reprogram for cuttin the chaff for next turn. True enlightenment goes with Meteor.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I had the most ridiculous Ironclad run last night.

First choice included Searing Blow, had a bunch of campfires, so took it, started trimming my deck, and upgrading it every campfire. First relic was a dead branch, the second was Ice Cream I think, third was bottled attack, picked up a headbutt near the end of the first, l and picked up Corruption early second floor IIRC. Searing Blow was at +10 or 11 by the end.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Prayer Wheel is reworked: normal combats yield two card drafts instead of one. Still common.

New rare relic, The Boot: if you would do less than 5 unblocked damage from an attack, increase it to 5. And yes, it also looks like Kuribo's Shoe. :3:

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 16, 2018

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

RyokoTK posted:

Prayer Wheel is reworked: normal combats yield two card drafts instead of one. Still common.

New rare relic, The Boot: if you would do less than 5 unblocked damage from an attack, increase it to 5. And yes, it also looks like Kuribo's Shoe. :3:

That could be disgusting with multi hitting attacks like pummel.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Oh and they also replaced the Defect card Undo with Equilibrium:

Costs 2, gain 13(16) block, retain your hand at the end of this turn. Pretty decent and nice to have another fat block card.

They also got rid of Impulse now because ??? but Echo Form is still a disgustingly overpowered slampick 100% always draft this card and play it power.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

To be fair, Impulse is pretty disgusting in a passive orb deck, but it requires way more work than most of the other stuff they've removed and some of the stuff they've left in.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I think impulse could have ended up pretty crazy with a deck that has electrodynamics.

I'm curious if electrodynamics is gonna get a nerf or even taken out. It can be really strong, but without it, the defect doesn't seem to have strong aoe options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Is it just me or is there something fundamentally not all there with Defect's deck? I have a decent win rate and have played him like 70 times but I still feel like half the time I'm missing something and just hobbling around on a broken deck, one bad draw away from catastrophe. I think it's a case of being too reliant on rares for gas and spending too many turns not doing anything because he has eight cards in his deck that add block and nothing else (Leap, Stack, Steam Power, Reinforced Body, Boot Sequence, Force Field, Auto Shields, Genetic Algorithm), but you have to draft them because his multi-purpose blocks are really bad at actually blocking, and is so based around dumping out powers to methodically ramp up strength in every fight.

It's fun when you're given the keys to the kingdom and wreck your way to an easy win, but there's also a lot of runs where I just stall out in the middle of act 3 and die because I'm still scrounging for a good damage dealer beyond Streamline. I'm not sure what the fix is, but even though he has so many tools and so much control over his deck it's kinda discouraging how slow and weak he usually feels.