Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Neither of those characters are the pods.

They also aren't Jackass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Or 2B and 9S's weighty tension!

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

You have to play NieR1 to appreciate that character. Otherwise it's just like okay you're weird and funny, bye.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I got an original-Nier spoiler question I don't know anywhere else to ask.

Is Emil's butler an android, or what? There may have been an in-game explanation that I just missed or don't remember since it's been like literally seven years since I played it.

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is Emil's butler an android, or what? There may have been an in-game explanation that I just missed or don't remember since it's been like literally seven years since I played it.

I prefer to believe no, he's just a human and happens to own a mannequin of himself because he's got no friends. He might have been a scientist back in the day and this is the replicant version of him. Maybe Grimoire Nier has more about it, but I haven't read it yet.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Lol I finally decided this morning gently caress it, I should get this game, and the sale ended. Thanks steam for changing my mind back :) and saving me the moneys.

1st_Panzer_Div. fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 6, 2018

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TalkLittle posted:

I prefer to believe no, he's just a human and happens to own a mannequin of himself because he's got no friends. He might have been a scientist back in the day and this is the replicant version of him. Maybe Grimoire Nier has more about it, but I haven't read it yet.
I didn't see anything in Grimoire Nier about it. I just assumed he was a replicant because that makes the most sense, but also the mannequin existing kind of makes me hope he's just a normal dude :shobon:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Lol I finally decided this morning gently caress it, I should get this game, and the sale ended. Thanks steam for changing my mind back :) and saving me the moneys.

your loss, pal

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Eh it'll be at least 50% off come summer sale.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

All the Nier 1 chat gave me the itch to replay it, but my xbox 360's disc drive is busted and this game doesn't seem to be for sale on the xbox marketplace.

Yoko taro, remaster this game, for me, specifically please

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I was wrong. If you look through the full Grimoire Nier translation (holy poo poo, 98 pages!) it mentions that neither Emil nor his butler are human and they don't age. So I guess the mannequin is most likely a spare android body, like most people would normally assume. Too bad, human butler would have been more interesting.

A couple general tidbits I enjoyed from skimming through the Grimoire Nier:

"The story told in NieR is actually the second part of the settings I came up with, and the amount of deleted content in the first part is enough to fill up two games."

"Music in this game was inspired by some shooting games that Yoko played, and the composer was friends with him since their university days." -- I didn't know Keiichi Okabe and Yoko Taro were long-time friends. Aw.

Still skimming, but it seems like they pretty much explain everything you'd want to know about NieR's connection with Drakengard (aka "DOD" or "Drag-On Dragoon"), and also the stuff from Nier: Automata in-game intel talking about Project Gestalt, White Chlorination Syndrome, Legion, etc.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to buy a copy of this book.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Nier remaster where you could choose your main character would be pretty cool.

Never played either version

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Honestly Automata wouldn't have beaten OG Nier for me if you'd played as Kainé in the second route onward. The addition of playing as the other androids is what clinched it but boy is it still a close race.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TalkLittle posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely going to buy a copy of this book.
I figured if it was explained anywhere it'd be in there - was watching albrecht speedrun Nier on twitch the other week and someone in chat asked where the grimoires came from and I was like "oh, I know this one, they locked small children in a room until books murdered them" and then linked to a transcription to prove it - but thanks for finding it :shobon:

Also did we ever find out where Cathedral City originally came from or are that and Accord still the two big hanging plot threads?

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also did we ever find out where Cathedral City originally came from or are that and Accord still the two big hanging plot threads?

Those are Drakengard 3 things right? I don't know anything about Drakengard 3 but boy do I want to find out now!

YouTubing Drakengard 1 seemed like the right choice to get the plot points and understand the stuff about dragons and giants that are referred to a bunch of times in the NieR games. Being a 2003 game I don't think I'd enjoy slogging through the gameplay of it. Drakengard 3 though hopefully is worth it.

And from what I understand, Drakengard 2 is a pass right? I probably won't even bother YouTubing that one since fans seem to ignore it.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Drakengard 3 is more of an LP game as well in my opinion. There is a decent game in there somewhere, but frame-rate issues and the game re-using levels makes it pretty rough.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Are they hanging though? AFAIR the Cathedral City is on a stable time loop and Accord are multiverse observers/caretakers, not much to it really

TalkLittle posted:

Drakengard 3 though hopefully is worth it.

Even watching somebody play it can be painful. Read Dark Id's LP like any other sane person

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ruffian Price posted:

Even watching somebody play it can be painful. Read Dark Id's LP like any other sane person
It's not that bad. Like, it plays better than Original Nier but also has a plot less good than Original Nier.

and yes I'm comparing it to another Yoko Taro game from 2010 as a positive point of comparison so uh, whoops

edit: oh right I made another post earlier, re: Accord she/they seem like they're constructed and not born (whether machine/robot/android who knows) so where did they come from, given that such a thing is now a relevant question after N:A, and did I miss whatever kicked off the stable time loop that Cathedral City is in because I don't recall that.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ive never played any of the older games but the weapon craftsman in the resistance camp mentions that Accord is the manager of the place?

Is that at all relevant?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Not even slightly. I mean, there's possibly story relevance there that could come up in the next game or the one after, but it's just an Easter egg at the moment.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I saw it as foreshadowing to D&P.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I always figured that since the ancient ruins of Cathedral City look like burned out 20th century skyscrapers that it’s just burned out Tokyo after a time-loop or two. It’s the easiest explanation.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

i am tim! posted:

I always figured that since the ancient ruins of Cathedral City look like burned out 20th century skyscrapers that it’s just burned out Tokyo after a time-loop or two. It’s the easiest explanation.
Right, I had been assuming it was some kind of modern city after a war or something, but it's like the one big enigma that hasn't really been touched on at all and I'd love to see where he thought he was going with it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Right, I had been assuming it was some kind of modern city after a war or something, but it's like the one big enigma that hasn't really been touched on at all and I'd love to see where he thought he was going with it.

basically a chunk of modern day Tokyo fell into the middle of not Spain and unleashed magic on the world

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I thought it went the other way? A chunk of dragon and god babby touched down on Tokyo.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

and that's the loop, see

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bogart posted:

I thought it went the other way? A chunk of dragon and god babby touched down on Tokyo.
That poster's saying that D1 ending E made Nier-world's modern Tokyo get magic, and then at some unspecified future date a part of Nier-world was sent back to D1 world, because Cathedral City is just a thing that showed up one day.

We don't know why (although we do know they nuked Tokyo from the Nier backmatter - it was a miserable failure that only spread the magic particles further and ruined their containment - it doesn't seem to have literally dimentionally shifted it)

edit: also reminder that Nier has crossover weapons with Dragon Quest and FF15 which has the same mythos as FF13 which has an ending where Lightning literally goes to Paris so there are at least three distinct Earths in the Nierverse

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
The Cypress Stick weapon story is the opening of DQ3, which also takes place on Earth, kinda?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The entire side-operation during Project Gestalt was the replicants and androids gathering up all the Maso (magic element) and disposing of it. Presumably a massive batch disposal was Cathedral City and thus that which was will be.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

That poster's saying that D1 ending E made Nier-world's modern Tokyo get magic, and then at some unspecified future date a part of Nier-world was sent back to D1 world, because Cathedral City is just a thing that showed up one day.

We don't know why (although we do know they nuked Tokyo from the Nier backmatter - it was a miserable failure that only spread the magic particles further and ruined their containment - it doesn't seem to have literally dimentionally shifted it)

edit: also reminder that Nier has crossover weapons with Dragon Quest and FF15 which has the same mythos as FF13 which has an ending where Lightning literally goes to Paris so there are at least three distinct Earths in the Nierverse

Maybe Lightning's Paris is the same one as in Nier, so her ending is going to be followed by dying of space god. Simplifies the number of Parises.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is fairly impressive

https://twitter.com/Haco_85_/status/996403193453072384

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just started this after a year of having it on my backlog. It's always been number 1 but somehow something else always insisted on getting in the way. Now I'm 20 hours in (just beat the goliath in the water) and absolutely hooked.

So, I have a lore question re: the original Nier. I'm not immediately sure of the spoiler protocol for this thread at this point in the game's lifecycle so I'll just put everything in spoilers: are the humans who lived long enough to be attacked by the aliens and machines the same as the replicants from Nier? How do the androids in Automata relate to the androids in Nier? Just met Popola and Devola again last session

I've watched a couple timeline summaries and i keep missing the answer to this pretty basic question.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The game does answer your questions later on, you’re just not that far in, relatively speaking.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Last Celebration posted:

The game does answer your questions later on, you’re just not that far in, relatively speaking.

Gotcha, wasn't sure if I was missing a key connection there.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
e;fb

TalkLittle
Jun 23, 2004

I've been slowly making my way through The Dark Id's Drakengard 3 LP and currently about halfway through.

I was excited because one of Accord's lines is really, really close to the theory I posted surrounding the NieR:Automata concert stage play epilogue, specifically black boxes causing timeline splits.

The line in Drakengard 3 is: "In the flow of post-Cataclysm history, if a unique set of conditions known as "singularities" come together, splits occur in time, resulting in the multiple-world divergence phenomenon." Also in the same cutscene she calls Zero, the main character, a "singularity" -- so humanoids can be singularities.

Note that I haven't finished the LP and don't know the true nature of what Zero is, so please don't spoil that for me!

Drakengard 3 starts kind of slow if you're looking for lore and tie-ins to NieR. It looks like there are actually a bunch of tie-ins and I'm beginning to get to the meat of it. Anyone interested in finding out more about NieR lore, it's probably worth playing through the Drakengard 3 LP.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So what was the trigger that made half my side quests disappear? Do they ever come back or do I have to wait for my next playthrough?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Deified Data posted:

So what was the trigger that made half my side quests disappear? Do they ever come back or do I have to wait for my next playthrough?

It was 9S going missing.

And they won't come back until you finish the game, but don't worry about it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That's route A done. Does your next playthrough remember your sidequest progress? Like how much G you've given to the inventor, or what belt you're on for the dojo guy? Will it reissue sidequests you've done already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Deified Data posted:

That's route A done. Does your next playthrough remember your sidequest progress? Like how much G you've given to the inventor, or what belt you're on for the dojo guy? Will it reissue sidequests you've done already?

I believe you have to restart any sidequests you haven't finished, but any you have stay done.