Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't need no instructions to tell me how to score

It's everything I imagined. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t remember seeing him on TV the past two games. Wish he’d go gently caress off to some beach with Crosby for the next couple week...

He was in Winnipeg last night. I know he did all of 2017's CF games too.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

iospace posted:

He was in Winnipeg last night. I know he did all of 2017's CF games too.

I don't think he was on the first two WAS-TBL games. I remember being relieved.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wouldn't be surprised if it had to do something with his health. He did have a cancer battle earlier this season so he may have been told to take a couple days before going full tilt.

Also, I was sad to not hear AJ in the booth last night. She's been great.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Looking like no Backstrom again tonight.

https://twitter.com/dckerNBC4/status/996394344188956673

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

it's insane that the caps are in a position where they can reasonably consider a) not rushing his return and b) slotting him in on the third line or something when he does return

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

No reason to rush him back. And even when he does come back, stick him on the third line. Eller needs to be left the gently caress alone and told to keep on keepin on.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ready for bizzaro world?

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/996086089436860416

:psyboom:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

iospace posted:

FLEUURRRRRRR- *Vegas scores again*

Holy poo poo that place got quiet FAST.

When did jeering the goalie become so popular? My hockey intake has shot up dramatically in the last couple years but my first time seeing it in force was last year in the Caps v Pens series, where the pens fans jeered Holtby pretty relentlessly.

Seems like it's everywhere now.. is this the Nashville effect? I thought their chants and stuff were a bit cute last year but it quickly grew to be obnoxious.

Seeing VGK score mid "FLLLLEEEURRRRYYY" was absolutely golden. gently caress that trashy poo poo

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Two wins against Tampa and everyone is stacking jinxes to the roof.

I am a physical manifestation of dread at this point.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Math You posted:

When did jeering the goalie become so popular? My hockey intake has shot up dramatically in the last couple years but my first time seeing it in force was last year in the Caps v Pens series, where the pens fans jeered Holtby pretty relentlessly.

Seems like it's everywhere now.. is this the Nashville effect? I thought their chants and stuff were a bit cute last year but it quickly grew to be obnoxious.

Seeing VGK score mid "FLLLLEEEURRRRYYY" was absolutely golden. gently caress that trashy poo poo

Chirping the other goalie has been as old as time itself.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Math You posted:

Chirping the goalie is a time-honored tradition. What is stupid, as I belabor seemingly every GDT, is when people chirp a goalie who hasn't been scored on yet.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

Two wins against Tampa and everyone is stacking jinxes to the roof.

I am a physical manifestation of dread at this point.

It's not like the Capitals have ever won the first two games of a series in Tampa and then gone on to lose the series.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Chirping the goalie is very fun.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Chirping the goalie is very fun.

Agreed, but it should require a two goal lead minimum.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Mind_Taker posted:

It's not like the Capitals have ever won the first two games of a series in Tampa and then gone on to lose the series.

on the other hand, have you considered that when that happened everyone on the current Caps roster was a teenager still in high school, or younger, except for that old gently caress Orpik

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

What is the methodology here?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

on the other hand, have you considered that when that happened, everyone on the Caps roster was a teenager still in high school, or younger, except for that old gently caress Orpik

Yes I have, I just wanted to put him more on edge. Me personally? I think the Capitals are going to win the Stanley Cup. They look a lot like the Penguins team from 2016.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 15, 2018

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

MANime in the sheets posted:

What is the methodology here?

I don’t know, he’s a mathematician. Here’s his site but early access costs money that’s probably not worth it. I saw this model linked from RMNB.

http://hockeyviz.com

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
chirping the goalie owns but it owns way more when your team gets scored on while you are chirping

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Did nobody post this?

https://twitter.com/BarSouthNCelly/status/996366356911042565

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Holtby looks like he's in a good place right now which should give Caps fans hope. He's got that Matt Murray thing going where he's not necessarily unbeatable but you have that confidence that he's not gonna blow a game either. Not sure which opponent would be better for them. Fast teams seem to give them trouble historically which would make Vegas a bad match but they handled Pittsburgh and Tampa so far this year. Winnipeg is really good.

Caps won't have home ice in the finals this year if they get that far but home ice doesn't seem to matter much this year.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 15, 2018

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Holtby is still beatable but he's playing extremely aggressively - he did seem to get off his line on the Palat goal in game 1 but if he can stay in position and aggressive he's going to be really tough to beat. That style tends to yield a lot of rebounds but his rebound control seems solid and the defense are doing an incredible job keeping sticks tied up in front of the net. I believe.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Math You posted:

Clearly you've never been to a college hockey game.

Chad Sexington posted:

Chirping the goalie is a time-honored tradition. What is stupid, as I belabor seemingly every GDT, is when people chirp a goalie who hasn't been scored on yet.

Clearly you've never been to a college hockey game. :v:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Agreed, but it should require a two goal lead minimum.

How many until you're allowed to cheer them for easy saves?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The student section in college hockey at the end of the rink where the opposing goalie is twice in regulation. If you ever get a chance, go to one of those games and sit next to them and embrace the chants.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Try to steal your ticket though, don't support slavery.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

iospace posted:

Clearly you've never been to a college hockey game. :v:

A women's college hockey game... in D.C. So basically, no.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I get why folks are writing Capitals-in-the-finals pieces, but I don’t get the few that are assuming it’s inevitable based on Games 1 and 2. Tampa looks totally disinterested but this is still a team that could win the next 4. If they win tonight, we’re going to suddenly see a bunch of articles questioning whether the Caps have the resiliency to ‘bounce back’ for Game 4.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

i am the bird posted:

I get why folks are writing Capitals-in-the-finals pieces, but I don’t get the few that are assuming it’s inevitable based on Games 1 and 2. Tampa looks totally disinterested but this is still a team that could win the next 4. If they win tonight, we’re going to suddenly see a bunch of articles questioning whether the Caps have the resiliency to ‘bounce back’ for Game 4.
This is all of sports writing.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

i am the bird posted:

The Caps are a good team and winning 4 out of the next 5 is a tall order even for a great team like Tampa. I 100% agree that they can't be counted out, because that roster is too talented to go out quietly, but the Caps look like a pretty safe bet right now. They just need to win 2 of the next 5 games, after all.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

i am the bird posted:

Just let us work ourselves up so it will be more amusing for you when we get our hopes crushed.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They just need to win 2 of the next 5 games, after all.

And there's the final curse.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't need no instructions to tell me how to score

This is beautiful.

I'm going to believe we're going to completely demoralize Tampa tonight. It's destiny time bitches, this no expectations rosters full of kids is gonna carry the great players who have been stymied to the promised land.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I expect a lot more of this from Ovi going forward.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Math You posted:

I can't remember the 1998 playoffs without hearing "OSSSSGOOOOOODD". Granted, he had a very chantable name and let it 2 goals from center ice

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Jeering the other team's goalie is only allowed when they've given up a few, or one really bad goal.

Sportswriters have to either write articles speculating about a team losing, or write articles about them winning, and the latter get labeled as homers, because the ___ are going to win the Stanley Cup.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

for many years i worried that if any pro sports player would ever let jeering get to them, it would be MAF. and he received a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot of jeering

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

It worked on Patrick Roy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Am I the only one offended by the "Cindarella Story" moniker that people are using for the Golden Knights? I despise them and this the disturbing trend of using that phrase to describe their season. I get scoffed at every time I say it and I don't get why people are so behind them and using it because they aren't a "Cindarella Story".

If any team is a Cinderella Story... it's the Winnipeg Jets. (And no, I'm not a Jets fan. I am a Canucks fan to my core, but I've jumped on their playoff bandwagon)

If anything, the team in Vegas can only be described as privledged. They were given an unfair advantage when a group of moronic owners ok'd expansion draft terms that essentially robbed other teams of good players.

The Knights didn't have to start from bare bones and build and they have no idea what it means to HAVE to do it. They didn't have to move in a struggling team and turn it golden. It was handed directly to them. They (and their fans) haven't been underdogs... they haven't paid their dues and put the work in... they haven't had to suffer decades of disapointment, face overwhelming adversity or claw their way to the top like the Winnipeg Jets and their fans.

So I say again... The WINNIPEG JETS are the TRUE Cinderella Story (As are the Caps) and every other team and fan in the NHL should be offended by the Vegas Golden Knights and that description.

• Locked thread