Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Hey since it is over 25 years old, have you Americans thought of getting some classic *cough* Aussie metal?

Can I interest you in the EA Falcon? You'll learn how to regularly replace head gaskets with the turd of a straight six they had in it!

Or the lovely VN Commodore? The lovely Buick V6 will probably fall out of the engine bay due to harshness, or the body twist into a pretzel due to how soggy it is.

Or the Nissan Pintara? Got the looks of a R31 Skyline, but with a gutless 2.0lt four out of the Nissan Gazelle!

How about a classic Aussie pickup ute? A Nissan rebadge of a Ford Falcon ute you ask? Why not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That first one looks like a Taurus with fetal alcohol syndrome.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

If you want one, just get a Merkur Scorpio that was sold here. Different cars but equally lovely and they look the same.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

angryrobots posted:

If you want one, just get a Merkur Scorpio that was sold here. Different cars but equally lovely and they look the same.

There's one here in town. It definitely looks like it's dad tossed it's mom down the stairs during pregnancy.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I saw one on the road a couple months ago. It looked clean and maintained. The only thing I thought was "Wow....a running and driving Scorpio. They must be a masochist."

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

angryrobots posted:

At least the underdeveloped OHC straight six in the EA Falcon grew into the lovely Barra DOHC six in the BA Falcon.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Rhyno posted:

As an European, most 90s Aussie cars look like they fell out of some weird alternate universe where everything's ever so slightly different and every engine grew two cylinders more

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Loanarn posted:

Needless to say I got a quote for a new sound system, security system, keyless entry etc and to do it the way I want is gonna be $4500. I get a $5k bonus in two and a half months that I hoped to spend on refurbing the wheels, fixing the interior, powder coating the valve covers and getting a sound system but my expectations on the price of a whole sound system installed were unrealistically low. It's gonna be a long 2.5 months until its installed but until then I have the best soundtrack on the road: The RB26DETT by Nissan.

You're getting hosed on that audio/security system quote. Get a second opinion from somewhere else. Also, probably don't do it all in one big quote. Like stereo on one, and keyless alarm on another.
Go price a deck and speakers on Crutchfield, then see what something similar is installed locally. A decent head unit can be had for as low as $150 (The Pioneer mechless in my Crown Vic was right at that). Speakers depend on coax or separates, etc., but again, decent stuff starts at like $50 a pair. A DIN head unit, and direct fit speakers shouldn't cost much to install.
Alarms - I've been out of that game too long. I buy them myself, and do the install myself. I've not paid more that $60 or so for an alarm. I prefer Omega products (K9, among other brands) for bang/buck and have had no trouble out of them.
You may be getting hit with a premium because it's something unfamiliar, but really, it's just a Nissan as far as the stereo goes, as far as I can tell. 6.5" speakers all around, DIN radio. Probably uses a standard '90s Nissan adapter harness.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

M.Ciaster posted:

As an European, most 90s Aussie cars look like they fell out of some weird alternate universe where everything's ever so slightly different and every engine grew two cylinders more

Kind of like how so many Russian cars looked like alternate-universe '50s American cars.
Speaking of which, I was really irritated that they used a '65 Chevy pickup in Justice League for the Russian family trying to drive away from the impending doom rather than source an actual Russian pickup. Or at least doctor a Studebaker or something.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You Am I posted:

Hey since it is over 25 years old, have you Americans thought of getting some classic *cough* Aussie metal?

Can I interest you in the EA Falcon? You'll learn how to regularly replace head gaskets with the turd of a straight six they had in it!

Or the lovely VN Commodore? The lovely Buick V6 will probably fall out of the engine bay due to harshness, or the body twist into a pretzel due to how soggy it is.

Or the Nissan Pintara? Got the looks of a R31 Skyline, but with a gutless 2.0lt four out of the Nissan Gazelle!

How about a classic Aussie pickup ute? A Nissan rebadge of a Ford Falcon ute you ask? Why not!

I'm more interested in XA/XB/XC Falcons and variants, but I think we've already imported them all and turned them into Mad Max clones. Are there any actual XB GT coupes still in Australia? I want an XB van fitted out like the Interceptor, because why not? Or a ute version.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Are there any actual XB GT coupes still in Australia? I want an XB van fitted out like the Interceptor, because why not? Or a ute version.
They're saving them for the apocalypse, when civilisation collapses and nothing but a wasteland remains.

It's a fine plan, indeed, save for explaining how the Australians will tell.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Darchangel posted:

You're getting hosed on that audio/security system quote. Get a second opinion from somewhere else. Also, probably don't do it all in one big quote. Like stereo on one, and keyless alarm on another.
Go price a deck and speakers on Crutchfield, then see what something similar is installed locally. A decent head unit can be had for as low as $150 (The Pioneer mechless in my Crown Vic was right at that). Speakers depend on coax or separates, etc., but again, decent stuff starts at like $50 a pair. A DIN head unit, and direct fit speakers shouldn't cost much to install.
Alarms - I've been out of that game too long. I buy them myself, and do the install myself. I've not paid more that $60 or so for an alarm. I prefer Omega products (K9, among other brands) for bang/buck and have had no trouble out of them.
You may be getting hit with a premium because it's something unfamiliar, but really, it's just a Nissan as far as the stereo goes, as far as I can tell. 6.5" speakers all around, DIN radio. Probably uses a standard '90s Nissan adapter harness.

I put in a new battery for the Skyline because it was having the issue where it took an extra half second to turn over than it should and that killed the circa 1992 aftermarket head unit somehow so now I cant even listen to weird j-pop on a loop.

Considering what I want I am not sure that is the case. 100% of everything is going to be done with all new materials. I want it to look pretty and have proper sound deadening.

This is what the quote was for:

Front Speakers - Type-X 6.5" Components
Rear Speakers - Type-X 6.5" Coaxials
4Ch Amp - PDR-F50
Mono Amp - PDR-M65
Sub - Type-S 10" in a sealed enclosure
Deck - Pioneer 3300NEX fold out deck
Alarm - CompuStar w/ Drone and solid remotes

$2800

Power wire - large gauge from front to rear, and smaller between a block and the amps.
Signal wire - Three sets of high quality RCA's
MDF - Material for the adapter panels
Sound mat. - Vibration and Transmission materials
Misc. - All the little things.

$300-$400

4.5 hr - Deck w/ Bluetooth + Back-up Cam
3 hr - Front Components Installation w/ mild noise control application
1 hr - Rear Coax Installation w/ light noise control app.
3 hr - Dual Amp Installation on existing structure
2.5 hr - Alarm/Keyless Installation (assuming no actuator addition needed)
1 hr - Making and installing adapters from 4x6 to 6.5 in front doors.

15hr - Top end total in this format of install. ($1200)

Does this seem really off?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Loanarn posted:

I put in a new battery for the Skyline because it was having the issue where it took an extra half second to turn over than it should and that killed the circa 1992 aftermarket head unit somehow so now I cant even listen to weird j-pop on a loop.

Considering what I want I am not sure that is the case. 100% of everything is going to be done with all new materials. I want it to look pretty and have proper sound deadening.

This is what the quote was for:

Front Speakers - Type-X 6.5" Components
Rear Speakers - Type-X 6.5" Coaxials
4Ch Amp - PDR-F50
Mono Amp - PDR-M65
Sub - Type-S 10" in a sealed enclosure
Deck - Pioneer 3300NEX fold out deck
Alarm - CompuStar w/ Drone and solid remotes

$2800

Power wire - large gauge from front to rear, and smaller between a block and the amps.
Signal wire - Three sets of high quality RCA's
MDF - Material for the adapter panels
Sound mat. - Vibration and Transmission materials
Misc. - All the little things.

$300-$400

4.5 hr - Deck w/ Bluetooth + Back-up Cam
3 hr - Front Components Installation w/ mild noise control application
1 hr - Rear Coax Installation w/ light noise control app.
3 hr - Dual Amp Installation on existing structure
2.5 hr - Alarm/Keyless Installation (assuming no actuator addition needed)
1 hr - Making and installing adapters from 4x6 to 6.5 in front doors.

15hr - Top end total in this format of install. ($1200)

Does this seem really off?

I'm no expert but that does seem expensive. 4.5 hours to install a head unit also seems a bit over the top. As a complete novice I did my car in under 2 hours, now that I know what I'm doing I'd say 30 mins, tops. That doesn't include a back up cam though.

Now it's your car and your budget so you do whatever makes you happy, I tend to think extra amps and subwoofers is a bit of overkill. I'm no audiophile but I do love my music and drive a fair bit. Updating the head unit and speakers in my car was enough to make it sound great and cost me ~$300 dollarydoos. I got USB/BT etc out of it and that's really all I need. We did throw in a bit of dynamat in the doors because my buddy had it lying around.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Just IMO, that stereo build sheet is what I would expect out of BestBuy. I'm sure it would sound fine, but you can do much better for that price point.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Ah, you're getting a full-bore system with all the toys. That's different. I was just thinking deck-and-four-speakers.
Probably not so outrageous, then. Labor is a killer. I don't really have a feel for what all that should cost, since I literally have always installed my own stuff, and didn't really pay attention to what the shop I worked at charged (we were not a high-end shop at all.)
Just a cursory glance at prices shows that they're not far out on that. Good Alpine stuff, and the Pioneer deck.

slothrop posted:

I'm no expert but that does seem expensive. 4.5 hours to install a head unit also seems a bit over the top. As a complete novice I did my car in under 2 hours, now that I know what I'm doing I'd say 30 mins, tops. That doesn't include a back up cam though.

Now it's your car and your budget so you do whatever makes you happy, I tend to think extra amps and subwoofers is a bit of overkill. I'm no audiophile but I do love my music and drive a fair bit. Updating the head unit and speakers in my car was enough to make it sound great and cost me ~$300 dollarydoos. I got USB/BT etc out of it and that's really all I need. We did throw in a bit of dynamat in the doors because my buddy had it lying around.

Back-up camera adds a surprising amount of complexity, though they can combine some of that with the amp install, since they'll have interior bits up for running cables already.
I like the extra headroom offered by an outboard amp, and a sub, even a small one, is a welcome addition. 6.5" speakers can do pretty well, but there's no substitute for an actual bass driver, even if you don't boom.
I think it sounds like a solid system that will entertain for a long time, given the quality components.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

Just IMO, that stereo build sheet is what I would expect out of BestBuy. I'm sure it would sound fine, but you can do much better for that price point.

True, I suppose. Audition speakers and see what you like best. Head units are mostly what features and brand you like best. Same for amps, I'd say.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

the spyder posted:

What would you suggest? P.S. I went to Cars and Coffee with Lord of Garbagemen and we spend some time looking for you and saw your white FD but you weren't there the few times we stopped by.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Darchangel posted:

I'm more interested in XA/XB/XC Falcons and variants, but I think we've already imported them all and turned them into Mad Max clones. Are there any actual XB GT coupes still in Australia? I want an XB van fitted out like the Interceptor, because why not? Or a ute version.

Most of the XA-XB-XC coupes have either:

- Rusted away in a backyard or back paddock on a farm.
- Twisted around trees/power poles
- Locked away in someone's garage as an investment

They have pretty much disappeared from Australian roads these days. Rust was the massive killer for those cars, especially around the rear window and front windscreen.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

You Am I posted:

This one might work here though, a Nissan Ute is kinda neat.

Darchangel posted:

True, I suppose. Audition speakers and see what you like best. Head units are mostly what features and brand you like best. Same for amps, I'd say.

For me it's "What headunit doesn't look like hot poo poo 90s rave garbage" and the only ones are the OEM-styled Continentals.

Pricey but that's the price you pay to avoid RGB discos.

Prado is about ready to go up for sale now, side makers and rear door handle came in today.

Have to get it a title, but I'll do that when the Surf gets here which is tomorrow :getin:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

You Am I posted:

Most of the XA-XB-XC coupes have either:

- Rusted away in a backyard or back paddock on a farm.
- Twisted around trees/power poles
- Locked away in someone's garage as an investment

They have pretty much disappeared from Australian roads these days. Rust was the massive killer for those cars, especially around the rear window and front windscreen.

I'm guessing Toranas are probably in the same boat? I've really taken a shine to them lately.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
A Falcon Ute is cat nippy enough for me to make an expensive mistake, so I wish you all well, and I'm checking out.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

blugu64 posted:

A Falcon Ute is cat nippy enough for me to make an expensive mistake, so I wish you all well, and I'm checking out.

Several pages of gorgeous JDM SUVs have me searching Craigslist for mid-90s manual Isuzu Troopers, so I feel you.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I'm guessing Toranas are probably in the same boat? I've really taken a shine to them lately.

Most Toranas these days are being converted to Group C Touring Car racing replicas.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

LeeMajors posted:

Several pages of gorgeous JDM SUVs have me searching Craigslist for mid-90s manual Isuzu Troopers, so I feel you.

(click it)

I mean hey you know me, JDM all the way BUT if you are set on a USDM lil' truck they are out there. The 89 Pajero I have on the way though will cost about as much as this guy is asking for his Raider (Dodge Raider is just a re-badged Montero which is the USDM version of the Pajero) so YMMV.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If anyone cares I have been requesting info on 2-5 vehicles 3-4 days a week and this is not as easy as it looks. Kaker is making it look easy.

Anyways this sold for $660:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-9Kv387lW2BkkYi.htm

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

If anyone cares I have been requesting info on 2-5 vehicles 3-4 days a week and this is not as easy as it looks. Kaker is making it look easy.

Getting a rhythm going is the most important part imho. That Nissan looks neat for 700 bucks but 4 speed column shifting right hand drive no AC truck is a hard as gently caress sale here in Florida probably.

I just sold the 1990 Acty, my first import. It's been so long since I've stopped driving it that it isn't a big deal at all but still kinda sad, feels like ~the end of an era~. Will be tempered a lot by the Surf that will be here today.

Basil Fawlty
Aug 28, 2003

I AM A FAGORT, HUMP MY RUMP!!!

everdave posted:

:same:

I've been asking for info on a handful of kei cars a couple of times a week, mostly Beats and Cappuccinos with an occasional van. I had a bid in on https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-7tMJCsIdGENtRP.htm this Cappuccino, but it went a bit higher than I was willing to chase it.

I've been looking at more Suzukis because I prefer the hardtop/t-top/targa to the Beat's softtop, but does anyone who has more (or any?) experience with the cars have a preference for one or the other?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

everdave posted:

What was it? The link doesn't work anymore.
I'm stupid, you can just click the link on the page. I need to learn to read.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Basil Fawlty posted:

:same:

I've been asking for info on a handful of kei cars a couple of times a week, mostly Beats and Cappuccinos with an occasional van. I had a bid in on https://auc.japancardirect.com/st-7tMJCsIdGENtRP.htm this Cappuccino, but it went a bit higher than I was willing to chase it.

I've been looking at more Suzukis because I prefer the hardtop/t-top/targa to the Beat's softtop, but does anyone who has more (or any?) experience with the cars have a preference for one or the other?

There was an aftermarket hartop for Honda Beats. I don't know if you can get them new anymore but they show up on Beats at auction sometimes.

As for comparisons between Cappuccinos and Beats (of which I have no first-hand knowledge of), from everything I've heard the Suzuki Cappuccino is an overall better car to live with. Quicker and more usable since it has the traditional engine in front trunk in back vs. the Beat's mid-engine design. I personally think the Beat looks better and at least here in the USA the 'Honda' part means a lot more than 'Suzuki' in so much as attention from people who don't know what the gently caress. The Cappo does the hardtop/t-top/targa thing though (like you said) and is super excellent too since the rear glass can't get hazy like the standard convertible Beat top.

Who is ready for some TENACIOUS 4X4 POWER...

Way nicer than I was expecting if only because it is nigh impossible to find an original condition Jimny at all, one with its original seats that aren't trashed even more so. I have no idea why that goofy chrome license plate backing is so hosed up, I hate that aftermarket style rear bumper that every Jimny ever seems to have installed. Luckily it's coming with its original rear bumper (shown in the last picture) along with the original WILD WIND spare tire hardcover that I can install once it gets here. Predictably my wife is going ballistic for this as she originally wanted a tin-top Samurai before we found her Tracker. This Jimny though has ~power steering~. It has has some subtle pink details along the side (as seen in the second to last picture) that says 'SPECIAL PACKAGE'. If we end up keeping this one for her then we'll probably be replacing the 'Wild Wind' on that hardcover with the same font but in pink, and then probably do some sort of decal package in pink and white.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was gonna say, that aftermarket bumper looks horrible, good thing you have the stock one with it and you can probably sell the ugly one on ebay. The tire cover with the Kanji on it is actually pretty cool.

Nice find, that looks really clean.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Do you ever bid without inspection? Mathew keeps telling me things will go higher than sales statistics say. Tempted to just throw a bid on some of these 4 ratings.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Do you ever bid without inspection? Mathew keeps telling me things will go higher than sales statistics say. Tempted to just throw a bid on some of these 4 ratings.

Only once and I would have won it too but there was some sort of glitch or something in the bidding process. It was for this Blizzard specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jr7pBlJF498

Ended up being bought by Pacific Coast Auto, sent to a guy in California that I talk to on Instagram. He paid less than I bid so :v: The reason why I bid without inspection is because there wasn't enough time from when it came up in the searches and when the auction went live. Since Pacific Coast doesn't DO inspections it wasn't weird for them.

Otherwise no, I never bid without an inspection. They potentially save too much money and effort to avoid doing it. I guess I make it look 'easy' by watching the auctions like a hawk and only diving for things that I feel strongly about, and not being afraid to walk away from something if there is even a HINT of anything being amiss. There is always the next day, there is always another car and you can't buy them all.

EDIT
I'm loath to do this BUT I do have an instagram and I post videos on Youtube of me driving these cars when I go to sell them. People seem to really appreciate me rambling on about them for an hour or so.

https://www.instagram.com/devinholody/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 17, 2018

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Who is ready for some TENACIOUS 4X4 POWER...

Ugh as soon as the Cappo is here and fixed up I'm getting a Jimny. I could probably flip it here make a decent profit since everyone flips out hard core for tin tops around me.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Check this:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-sNF8DwtAInZcqwL.htm

I was about to ha e inspected and bid 225k but Mathew thinks I need rob bid 600! Sales stats say average these sell for 80-136 what am I missing I really need to know!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

everdave posted:

Opposite from me, I just can't seem to find a cheap heart donor and I'm avoiding kei-trucks like the plague so I don't do something foolish.

everdave posted:

Do you ever bid without inspection?

On that one BJ42 I did, but I knew my bid had a snowball's chance in hell at winning anyways.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 17, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Opposite from me, I just can't seem to find a cheap heart donor and I'm avoiding kei-trucks like the plague so I don't do something foolish.

Goin should ask him about getting an engine or a front clip they do that too

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Hold the gently caress up here. Is that a 5 lug axle with an Aisin manual hub!?

I need detailed pictures of that front axle housing, it looks suspiciously Toyota but they only put 6 lugs around their Aisins. My hilux is 5-lug because it's 2wd, but if there's a 5-lug axle with Aisin hubs...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

everdave posted:

Check this:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-sNF8DwtAInZcqwL.htm

I was about to ha e inspected and bid 225k but Mathew thinks I need rob bid 600! Sales stats say average these sell for 80-136 what am I missing I really need to know!

You're going for stuff I'm not familiar with BUT I would argue that Matt or Yoshi aren't as tuned to prices as you might think. I have been honing down prices and either getting better or very lucky with bidding just the right amount. I know that I have the benefit of experience but I still don't know what the gently caress I'm doing, nobody does and anyone that says they do is lying or ignorant. It's all chaos.

Matt probably just doesn't want to waste time, nor does he want you to get discouraged by bidding and not winning. It's easier for him to deal by front loading the disappointment instead of allowing you to get hope only to be smashed hard if you bid low and get smashed by a much higher bid. He does have your best interest at heart, he wants you to buy a car so he gets paid. I do think just a hair over 2 grand USD for that Levin is pretty low though, it's a grade 4, B interior, 5 speed manual with 30000 miles on it. Seems like 5500 USD is a decent price for this, but again not my scene. If you have 8 grand or so to burn bid and see if you win. Remember, you don't usually win and pay what you bid, you only pay a bit over the next lowest bid.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

everdave posted:

Goin should ask him about getting an engine or a front clip they do that too

I'm not really interested in getting an entire half cut (though maybe they'd be willing to pull the engine and trans?) and I'd be worried about getting the ECU, trans, and wiring harness if I went the engine route, a lot of JDM engine importers don't include ecus or harnesses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Hold the gently caress up here. Is that a 5 lug axle with an Aisin manual hub!?

I need detailed pictures of that front axle housing, it looks suspiciously Toyota but they only put 6 lugs around their Aisins. My hilux is 5-lug because it's 2wd, but if there's a 5-lug axle with Aisin hubs...

And in looking I see this quote from Wikipedia:

I dunno if this is helpful or not but it's going to be at least a month and a half before I can take my own pictures so