Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Zore posted:

I mean, if you sunk every faction ship you saw who the gently caress is telling them you're doing that? The crew is all dead and its not like cell phone or radios exist, primary communications are still carried out on paper by courier.

Having them magically know seems kinda dumb.

You've got the colours of every ship you've sunk hanging from your guy lines every time you roll into port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
Dragon Age 2’s post modernist playersexuality challenged the culture, like all good design tbh

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

frajaq posted:

I really really really wish Obsidian was more ballsy with the reputation system and consequences for poo poo, near the end of my full completion run I had sunk every single faction ship I saw and was still with Good reputation with every single major faction. This is just stupid.

I expected harsher consequences for loving with other factions in the game, and wish there was more options for backstabbing factions in certain quests

You can ask Maia about this and she tells you that anything you do to their ships is an acceptable loss compared to what they have to gain by employing you. It's only logical to think that the other factions feel the same way.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Anyone else having the issue where the auto-attack AI defaults back to Passive even after hitting Save?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Autonomous Monster posted:

You've got the colours of every ship you've sunk hanging from your guy lines every time you roll into port.

I found them in some flotsam. Must be a real bad dude out there somewhere!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Xoti as a Priest/Monk seems really good to me actually. She can throw down a buff or two before she starts slicin' and dicin'.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

precision posted:

Xoti as a Priest/Monk seems really good to me actually. She can throw down a buff or two before she starts slicin' and dicin'.

The problem is she would be even better at slicin' and dicin' if she was just a pure class Monk and thus progressing in the Monk ability tree faster. :v:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My dudes just have "..." over their heads. It keeps defaulting to passive. :shrug: So weird, man. I almost want to just go play PoE1 again. :v:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

The problem is she would be even better at slicin' and dicin' if she was just a pure class Monk and thus progressing in the Monk ability tree faster. :v:

Yeah, but there aren't a bunch of Priest companions you can pick up. One of the problems with her default AI I ran into with her as a Priest in my last playthrough was that she casts buffs from way in the backline and half of them miss the people who need them.

I'm actually sitting here on Xoti's class collection tree debating Contemplative vs Monk.

My Plan was:
Edder - Fighter/Rogue
Aloth - Fighter/Wizard
Xoti - Monk/Priest
Maia - Ranger/Rogue
PC - Wizard

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ just smh if you don't make Maia a Geomancer

Captain Oblivious posted:

True, but I didn't want to make anyone else a Priest and my RPG OCD demands I have at least one person for every class in the game :colbert:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

l'm fine with everyone being bisexual for the sake of inclusivity, but the "it's just a power fantasy lol" thing is dumb and wrong. This is very much a game about making choices about who and what your character is and the game constantly reacting to those choices. The most interesting and compelling parts of these sorts of games are the situations where you can't get the outcome that you wan't because of the choices you have made. The difference between player agency and just letting the player decide outcomes is one of the biggest things that separates good RPGs from bad ones IMO

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Has a list of major points from the recent stream been posted anywhere? I don't want to watch a one hour video when I could read something for less than five minutes and retain the information better.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Has a list of major points from the recent stream been posted anywhere? I don't want to watch a one hour video when I could read something for less than five minutes and retain the information better.

Like 80% of it was discussing when certain things would be patched (Issues with player dispositions will be part of the patch this week, issues with companion dispositions will be soon, late game difficulty won't be for a while)
Free DLC next week makes the drunk orlan lady from the pirate keep in to a sidekick.
Josh isn't directing the DLC, says they're aware people want certain sidekicks to be expanded in to full companions but that's up to the new creative director.
Some other designer is in charge of Berath's Blessings but is working on expanding them.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Man the end to Eder's questline in PoE1 is so disappointing...

Bear in mind that reading his brother's memories and not being able to answer why he joined the enemy isn't the end of the quest. The end of the quest actually comes in the final dungeon, so be sure to bring him along if you want a nice capstone to the whole thing

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Fintilgin posted:

Does it really, though?

I mean, at the risk of repeating myself, this is not a game driven by deep character studies of your companions. It's not a game about Eder or Tekhanu. They exist as adjuncts to you the Cool Hero as you Save the World. Remember for a minute how Cool you are. You're so Cool that you awaken from a coma to discover that you managed to become the Captain of your own pirate ship while unconscious. You're so Cool that the Gods Themselves summon you to their councils and depend on you to Save the World. You're so Cool that you have a backpack stuffed full of magical swords and artifacts of vast and terrifying power. You're so Cool that you can literally kill apartment building sized dragons by kicking them in the face. And yes... you're so Cool that your preferred partner of your preferred gender really wants to do the sex with you.

Like I said, I also like the idea that some closeted kid in Iowa somewhere isn't stuck with the token gay/lesbian romance and can take their pick of the available romance choices and the game just respects that without fuss or judgement.

Remember too, that these 'romances' are a couple positive disposition checks and a dozen lines of dialogue. :lol: I can certainly imagine games where an NPCs sexuality is relevant or meaningful to explore. I'm not sure that a Dungeons & Dragons game where you're chasing an 900 foot statue in a pirate ship piloted by a sharkman is that game though.

It's totally cool that all the romance NPCs are bi, but the justification you're offering is both unnecessary and wrong. You're positioning the Pillars games as this sort of unadulterated power fantasy on the level of something like Saint's Row, but that's not born out in the writing of either game, both of which occasionally go out of their way to undercut the central power fantasy in an effort to make the world and your place in it more believable. This is power fantasy, sure, but it's not totally ungrounded in the way you're suggesting.

Your argument isn't even born out in the romance selection, because the two best companions don't even wanna gently caress.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/13?tab=files
This is a cool mod that lets you use every subrace's models in every other ones. Also beards for Amanua and stuff. I went to go make Grog from CR, but noticed Amanua can't have beards. Well that won't do

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Man the end to Eder's questline in PoE1 is so disappointing...

You should ask yourself what his quest has in common with the other companion quest conclusions.

There's a reason why his quest ends the way it does, there is a message.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
do you have to start a new game for level scaling to work with the patch or beta patch or whatever?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fellatio del Toro posted:

l'm fine with everyone being bisexual for the sake of inclusivity, but the "it's just a power fantasy lol" thing is dumb and wrong. This is very much a game about making choices about who and what your character is and the game constantly reacting to those choices. The most interesting and compelling parts of these sorts of games are the situations where you can't get the outcome that you wan't because of the choices you have made. The difference between player agency and just letting the player decide outcomes is one of the biggest things that separates good RPGs from bad ones IMO

But this is not very much a game about romance, that's just icing. At heart this is still a game that is primarily based on systems of combat, the plot and decisions therein are window dressing. A lot of people skip through all the text as it is.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

precision posted:

But this is not very much a game about romance, that's just icing. At heart this is still a game that is primarily based on systems of combat, the plot and decisions therein are window dressing. A lot of people skip through all the text as it is.

Did you misclick on this thread? This post is completely wrong, to the point that I'm certain you're discussing a different game.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Thank you for this, and thank you rope kid (and Caleb but not sure if he's on SA) for the transparency. I'm super happy about Deadfire but it's rad to get perspectives from the development side.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Did you misclick on this thread? This post is completely wrong, to the point that I'm certain you're discussing a different game.

You're not aware that a lot of fans of PoE were fans because of the combat and just clicked through all the walls of text?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Has anybody tried a straight up dual wielding dagger character? Between lover's embrace (frenzy!), pukestabber, blackblade's hood, the dual wield talent, and a bunch of dex, you should be able to stack an absolute shitton of action speed.

Akong
Nov 6, 2010

Xaurips are reptilian humanoids about the size of orlans.

precision posted:

You're not aware that a lot of fans of PoE were fans because of the combat and just clicked through all the walls of text?

A few. Not a lot.

In fact, I'd wager there are about a poo poo ton more people who put it on an easy difficulty to experience the world and the writing without the difficulty of the combat.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
As a bisexual person, i think it's cool that most characters are "playersexual" because I like being able to craft my character as I so choose. Since the sexuality of the companion characters doesn't really drive the story, it's really just there as flavor for my run, so I'm glad I can organize that however I want. Besides, who knows how sexuality works on Eora? Maybe bisexual is normal and you monosexuals are the weird ones. Wouldn't THAT be something!!

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
"Ooh I wonder if torment's reach can activate while spirtshifted"
*werecat kills two mopes with a spinning back kick*
:stare:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

2house2fly posted:

Bear in mind that reading his brother's memories and not being able to answer why he joined the enemy isn't the end of the quest. The end of the quest actually comes in the final dungeon, so be sure to bring him along if you want a nice capstone to the whole thing

Yeah, I feel like I missed something pretty important when Suddenly I'm in the credits and Aloth is the new leader of the Leaden Key. That comes out of absolutely nowhere if you dumped him right after seeing the animancer in the sanitarium.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

So level scaling is definitely working with the beta patch but it honestly doesn't go far enough. I replayed through the final areas and there wasn't much difference in difficulty, the fights just lasted slightly longer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

treizebee posted:

"Ooh I wonder if torment's reach can activate while spirtshifted"
*werecat kills two mopes with a spinning back kick*
:stare:

Isn't it wonderful :allears:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Akong posted:

A few. Not a lot.

In fact, I'd wager there are about a poo poo ton more people who put it on an easy difficulty to experience the world and the writing without the difficulty of the combat.

ha ha ha no way.

Speaking of combat is there a place to farm xp/gold without running out of enemies? Even via respawns?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

pmchem posted:

ha ha ha no way.

Speaking of combat is there a place to farm xp/gold without running out of enemies? Even via respawns?

Kills don't give xp, filling your bestiary gives xp. Once an entry is complete you won't get any more xp from that enemy.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I think it is nice when your companions have their own personalities, motivations, and kinks, including not necessarily being into the watcher. However, with just 7 companions it's not like there's a ton more fish in the sea if they chose to limit one to only romancing male Orlans. If there were 30 romances then that would be fine ... but there's not. Erring on the side of inclusiveness seems sensible.

I don't really want to go back to the humble origins of awkward orthographic RPG romance in BG2 where no one is the least bit gay, no one can love a short person and women are stuck with loving Anomen. It's as sad as a watcher that only Aloth could possibly love.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the sexuality stuff is.. fine. it would be more interesting if the different societies in PoE2 actually had different attitudes towards sexuality, which then bled into the companions, especially since that was a really important historical difference between european vs. aboriginal / agricultural vs. hunter-gatherer societies at the time. a decision like that would create way too much trouble with the customer base to be worth it though--poe2 is deffo a gratification/power fantasy in this regard--so whatever.

Zane fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 16, 2018

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
What is the "official" wiki for this game?

https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Pillars+of+Eternity+2+Wiki seems ... very incomplete.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_II:_Deadfire claims it is the official wiki but has even less info

Basically looking for somewhere that's collecting where various items drop so I don't have to try building my own list.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Pinned official wiki thread is here, so that second wiki
https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98308-the-pillars-of-eternity-wiki-the-saga-continues/

but yeah it is... spartan.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of romance, I made a quick save just to make Aloth hate me real quick for an achievement and, uh...

Turns out if you kiss him during the "maxed out negative relationship" conversation he's into it?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I mainly come to these games for the combat. I never found the story in poe 1 or 2 all that amazing and tend to skip a lot of text after getting the general gist of the conversation. The writing in 2 is a lot more engaging and overall better but I want to be casting spells and gibbing dudes. I don't constantly replay bg1 and 2 for the plot.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

Turns out if you kiss him during the "maxed out negative relationship" conversation he's into it?
lmao. i swear aloth is the original cuck

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Akong posted:

A few. Not a lot.

You'd be surprised. A lot of people fuckin' love Infinity Engine-style combat and don't care much about the roleplaying and story. See also: Icewind Dale

I mean, I'm not necessarily one of them. I enjoy the combat but it's only part of the package for me. But tons of people (y'know, relative to the number of CRPG fans, at least) are hardcore fans of Infinity Engine combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Is there a better treatment for curses than resting?