Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ahhhh i accidentally hit reset in the message filters because i thought it would reset my search parameters. now i don't even know what messages i'm missing out on by default........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

MadJackal posted:

Is there any way to force a one province vassal into becoming a Free City? I’ve only got 6 going as Forever Emperor of The HRE, Austria and by 1600 I’ve only got the first 3 reforms. Only one center of reformation left in the world at least.

they need to be a republic, but not a merchant republic.

stack your diplomatic reputation bonusses, give them money, imperial grace, make sure they are in the empire

Once you can create client states in the later game it's really easy to create them, before that the north italian minors are probably your best bet

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I spent ages agonizing over what my second idea group should be as Switzerland. But since I was deciding between diplomatic groups at least exploration and maritime were easy to discard. The latter more than usual. :v:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Poil posted:

I spent ages agonizing over what my second idea group should be as Switzerland. But since I was deciding between diplomatic groups at least exploration and maritime were easy to discard. The latter more than usual. :v:

Utter Einsanity: Complete Switzerlake with Naval and Maritime as your first two idea groups, both fully completed.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

naval/economic has a pretty good policy at least

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can anyone recommend any gameplay expansion mods?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

dev diary posted:

The Mughal Diwan will give the empire a bureaucracy capable of integrating the vast swaths of lands that lie before it. The reform mechanic replaces the promotion of cultures to one where the nation integrates a culture by assimilating it into its government. Assimilation of a culture happens when the nation have conquered every single province of that culture and that will make that culture a permanently accepted culture of the country.

Though besides only becoming promoted, if the Mughals manages to integrate an entire culture group into their empire they’ll get some small boni from the cultures contribution to the empire's administration. However this bonus is not permanent and is only kept as long as they can keep control of all the provinces.

:worship:

timurids -> mughals is already insanely easy and bonkers, gonna be buck wild to have automatic permanently accepted cultures that give bonii

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

oddium posted:

:worship:

timurids -> mughals is already insanely easy and bonkers, gonna be buck wild to have automatic permanently accepted cultures that give bonii

Apparently every culture in the world will give a bonus?!

quote:

Which culture groups give bonuses when assimilated? Just the Indian ones or all of them? Because, for some reason, the Tibetan group does not display a bonus, while the others (found on Indian peninsula) do.

Groogy posted:

All of them are planned to give, this is work in progress and what you see is essentially just placeholder modifiers for now.

That ought to be.... absurd.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Themage posted:

Can anyone recommend any gameplay expansion mods?

Try MEIOU & Taxes and cry at how unplayable it is.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Why the heck is assimilation only available for the Mughals though?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

All this India stuff is a new DLC right? Looking at the dev diaries they just keep calling it patch 1.26 so hard to tell what's the free stuff and what's the pay.

edit: It'd be cool if assimilation was linked with humanism somehow?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah in the burma dev diary they say "In the government overhaul in the, as of yet unannounced DLC, there will also be a “Mandala” government reform"

White Coke
May 29, 2015

oddium posted:

It's culture groups not individual cultures right?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

now we can not only destroy france but destroy the entire concept of the french itself hell yeah

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is there any other fun African nations to play as, other than Ethiopia? Been considering a Mali run.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you make like 100 ducats a month from all the gold in butua + they have super good ideas. you just have to be able to handle inflation early on

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sephyr posted:

Is there any other fun African nations to play as, other than Ethiopia? Been considering a Mali run.

I've enjoyed all of my Africa games, unless you can tell us more about your criteria for fun then its kinda hard to recommend one start in particular

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Sephyr posted:

Lots. Mali, Kilwa, Kongo, Kuba, Butua, and Kaffa all have achievements tied to them, as do the three that start next to Lake Victoria, the Nubian culture states, and Somali culture states, if you care about that. Generally, wherever you start in Africa, you have lots of opportunities for expansion, but it can be difficult to keep up on Institutions, and, as you already know, East Africans will probably have to deal to with the Ottomans at some point.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

they're adding a second accepted cultures bar page

alrighty then

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Lots. Mali, Kilwa, Kongo, Kuba, Butua, and Kaffa all have achievements tied to them, as do the three that start next to Lake Victoria, the Nubian culture states, and Somali culture states, if you care about that. Generally, wherever you start in Africa, you have lots of opportunities for expansion, but it can be difficult to keep up on Institutions, and, as you already know, East Africans will probably have to deal to with the Ottomans at some point.

After some 3 awesome Ethiopia games ruined by Ottomans, yeah, I'm spending some time on the other side of the continent from them.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fister Roboto posted:

Why the heck is assimilation only available for the Mughals though?

They have to find excuses to shoehorn new paid mechanics in somehow

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
More like the reason being: If everyone has special stuff then nobody is special.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Groogy posted:

More like the reason being: If everyone has special stuff then nobody is special.

Assimilation is kinda wasted on fleshing out the Kalmar Union.

Nah, gonna have to count myself solidly on the "That's a dumb thing to limit to one country" side this time.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I think it could follow the example of the Ottoman and Tsardom governments where it's only available for one period-accurate example and one weird alt-history variant. Mughals and from a "reform the Maurya Empire" decision, or for Bharat/Hindustan. Or make it the last idea in an idea group?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
The new government system is incredibly flexible so if you don't like it just fix it

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
I mean, I was already trying to make something like this with events, so this makes it far better :v:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Hey Groogy, is there any way you guys can make it so that army/navy templates are shared between all games rather than being specific to individual runs? I don’t know how other people use them, but I rarely vary the templates I use from nation to nation so I’d appreciate if I didn’t have to set them up anew every game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

is the mamluk government good. i'm about to finish them off and the 50% chance of a 6 admin ruler sounds good. also why would you not go with a circassian ruler, who is 100 legit and 15 army tradition

e: oh because the ruler's culture does button stuff

oddium fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 16, 2018

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

oddium posted:

is the mamluk government good. i'm about to finish them off and the 50% chance of a 6 admin ruler sounds good. also why would you not go with a circassian ruler, who is 100 legit and 15 army tradition

e: oh because the ruler's culture does button stuff

It is an extremely good government and you can definitely just go with the 100 legitimacy / 15 army tradition choice every time and just ignore the buttons. Having your army tradition basically always be skyhigh is amazing.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yep ignore the mana bar, pick the Circassia dude every time. I've not played them since the mission revamp but I assume they're still a top tier start. They've been since CoC.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What happens with that button if you actually conquer circassia?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Groogy posted:

Uh yeah, no poo poo. I'm asking why this mechanic has to be special to only one country.

Like I'd be fine if it was a lengthier or more expensive process for other countries, or maybe have a high tech or idea group requirement, but I think it's pretty dumb that only the Mughals can do it for no other reason than they're the Mughals.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fister Roboto posted:

Uh yeah, no poo poo. I'm asking why this mechanic has to be special to only one country.

Like I'd be fine if it was a lengthier or more expensive process for other countries, or maybe have a high tech or idea group requirement, but I think it's pretty dumb that only the Mughals can do it for no other reason than they're the Mughals.

At the same time this definitely wouldn't be the first time a country gets bonuses just for having a certain tag

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

James Garfield posted:

At the same time this definitely wouldn't be the first time a country gets bonuses just for having a certain tag

That's kind of what we're complaining about. Instead of streamlined generic new mechanics you get good ideas which are contorted into being nation-specific for tenuous reasons.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Tahirovic posted:

Yep ignore the mana bar, pick the Circassia dude every time. I've not played them since the mission revamp but I assume they're still a top tier start. They've been since CoC.

Am I the only person that doesn't like the mission revamp?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

James Garfield posted:

Yeah, and I didn't really like it then either. But being able to integrate or assimilate other cultures into your own is something I've wanted for quite a while, and to see that ability being given to only one specific country makes me kind of upset.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

at least it's a baller country

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, and I didn't really like it then either. But being able to integrate or assimilate other cultures into your own is something I've wanted for quite a while, and to see that ability being given to only one specific country makes me kind of upset.

It kind of sucks, yeah, especially considering that culture switching provinces is pretty expensive and I almost never bother with it, I'd rather add dip development to get more sweet trade bucks if I really don't know what to do with the dip points. I am sure there's an edge case or three to do it, but eeeeeh it never feels meaningful.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What happens with that button if you actually conquer circassia?

the mana bar will change to some other culture, for me it was berbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Requested feature: The ability to ask my idiot allies not to give military access to my enemies, what the gently caress Sweden now Novgorod is full of Spanish assholes