Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Azhais posted:

Hell, I have the exact opposite complaint about NV, there isn't enough open desert

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

And I have to give props to Courtney Taylor's performance. Once I installed some quality of life mods to see what my dialogue choices actually are and to have guaranteed persuasion checks, it's become much easier to role-play as a scheming con artist who specializes in haggling her way to riches. Her dialogue is really well done when she doesn't devolve into screaming MY BABY whenever the main quest rears up, and she's otherwise really consistent while keeping a tone that can flow from caring to sarcastic to threatening very naturally.

Her performance when she's not all MY BABY is pretty good, which is why I like Start Me Up. If you don't choose to be the 200 year old frozen lawyermom, the dialogue changes to reflect that you discovered a missing kid and all that.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
If you haven’t played through the silver shroud plot line as a woman and stayed in character as much as possible you really missed out, her voice acting is the highlight of the game for me

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

corn in the bible posted:

Lots of the landmarks in nv ARE pretty worthless though, like most of the Vegas outskirts are just a road and a building which is boarded up. Maybe a raider is there.

The actual towns are good though.

The vaults too, but then the vaults are a highlight for every Fallout game. They're a great way to tell an interesting self-contained story through investigation, I always get excited whenever I find one because it means I get to explore it and figure out wtf went wrong and why.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

If you haven’t played through the silver shroud plot line as a woman and stayed in character as much as possible you really missed out, her voice acting is the highlight of the game for me

Seconding this.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Parallelwoody posted:

Two of my friends tried to tell me fallout NV was the worst fallout made. I don't believe I've ever heard that opinion before.

Make them play Brotherhood of Steel.

All of it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Liquid Communism posted:

Make them play Brotherhood of Steel.

All of it.

wiki posted:

To create the game, Interplay used the "Snowblind" game engine also used in the console games Dark Alliance and the online-capable PS2 game Champions of Norrath

I remember thinking Dark Alliance was a fun time waster, how bad could it be?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

8one6 posted:

Pretty bad.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

8one6 posted:

The gameplay is almost competent, but the main story is catastrophic levels of wasted potential, the overall writing is really bad, the game is a gross muddy mess, and the designs are the worst excesses of the mid 2000's.

It's got just enough interesting elements to make the bad feel worse.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Also they replaced Nuka-Cola with BAWLS.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Jesus, that's really loving blatant.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Well, Interplay needed money from someone and sure as hell wasn't getting any from their fans. Totally sympathize with Wasteland Woman though. Felt the same way when I found out what was going on with the Fallout IP before the company folded.

Rage 2 trailer also dropped this morning, looks like they're keeping the art direction close to the first game and sticking with the id Tech engine. Also being made by the same studio that brought us the Max Max game and Just Cause series. Cautiously optimistic.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

You know, I was just looking though some SuperBunnyHop videos on youtube and he makes a fairly convincing argument that now (err... late 2015) is the time for Fallout spin-offs to happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnedb7XKycc

One of the central arguments is that Fallout spinoffs is what gave us New Vegas, but I suppose "Brotherhood of Steel" is in and of itself an effective counter argument.

It makes me think of Games Workshop's "Everyone gets the IP!" gambit from the past couple of years, which actually seems to paid off in that ~30 bad to middling Warhammer games have come out in the past few years, but they've been effectively glossed over in favor of the 5 or so that were actually good.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Is there a good reason to do Honest Hearts before Old World Blues?

I'm level 25 and I seem to remember that enemy scaling in OWB gets a little crazy after 30, but HH stays pretty even.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Riatsala posted:

I'm level 25 and I seem to remember that enemy scaling in OWB gets a little crazy after 30, but HH stays pretty even.

You get Desert Ranger armor and the Survivalist's rifle. Armor is cool but the rifle is my favorite gun in the game

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You get Desert Ranger armor and the Survivalist's rifle. Armor is cool but the rifle is my favorite gun in the game

Whatup my Grunt-taking, 12.7 mm-hoarding buddy :hfive:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh, I'm going to get both, for sure, but I think they'll have to wait so I can finish owb before it turns into bullet sponge nightmare times

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Riatsala posted:

I did Old World Blues before Honest Hearts, the one problem with doing that is this: after playing OWB playing HH will be very, very, VERY easy. Like, HH was designed to be played at like level 15 and if you role up into Zion at level 30 with the armor and energy weapons you get in OWB, well, the White Legs are going to be pathetically easy to kill.

Which kinda creates an unintended plothole:

Daniel: Oh no! The white legs are going to destroy Zion! And there's no way to defeat them without destroying the innocence of the sorrows by forcing them to fight!!!!

Courier: uh, yeah there is, just let me do it myself. I've been disintegrating them constantly since I got here, I'm pretty sure I wiped out half their tribe just looking for those lunch boxes and maps you wanted me to find.

Story is still good though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

They do start toting Anti-Material Rifles and 12.7-mm submachine guns, though, which can get a bit ridiculous (there's like two of each maximum in the entire Mojave)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Riatsala posted:

The only reason the enemy scaling in OWB is awful is because they become horrible bullet sponges. The amount of health they get at higher levels is just plain stupid. Meanwhile they don't do all that much damage but absolutely wreck your armor.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Daniel: Oh no! The white legs are going to destroy Zion! And there's no way to defeat them without destroying the innocence of the sorrows by forcing them to fight!!!!

Courier: uh, yeah there is, just let me do it myself. I've been disintegrating them constantly since I got here, I'm pretty sure I wiped out half their tribe just looking for those lunch boxes and maps you wanted me to find.

Frankly that's kind of a plothole even if you come in at level 15 without all the OWB goodies.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I did Old World Blues before Honest Hearts, the one problem with doing that is this: after playing OWB playing HH will be very, very, VERY easy. Like, HH was designed to be played at like level 15 and if you role up into Zion at level 30 with the armor and energy weapons you get in OWB, well, the White Legs are going to be pathetically easy to kill.

Story is still good though.

Yeah... I kind of figure that'll be the case. HH is the one chill DLC, so I guess I don't mind. I play it for the story and the cool guns, the enemies have never put up much of a fight even at level 10.

I wonder, though; would it be fun to do a high-level naked run of HH? Just show up with basic clothing and procure everything on site? I think that'd be neat. Alternatively, take the weight limit to the extreme of like 10 lbs so you can show up with a crappy gun, some ammo, and a couple bottles of water.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Riatsala posted:

Yeah... I kind of figure that'll be the case. HH is the one chill DLC, so I guess I don't mind. I play it for the story and the cool guns, the enemies have never put up much of a fight even at level 10.

I wonder, though; would it be fun to do a high-level naked run of HH? Just show up with basic clothing and procure everything on site? I think that'd be neat. Alternatively, take the weight limit to the extreme of like 10 lbs so you can show up with a crappy gun, some ammo, and a couple bottles of water.

I did this at Level 3 or so and it was kinda great, you actually have to run away from some enemies like giant cazaodres and such and you have to be sneaky. I still remember how borderline impossible it was to get in this one cave surrounded by three giant green geckos for a plot item for the main quest. The terrible female tribal companion just crumpled after a few seconds in combat so even killing one was a serious undertaking. I think I ended up kiting one with traps then using a stealth boy just to get in while leaving her safely further down the path.

Oddly Dead Money is pretty much the same at Level 2 as it is at Level 20, outside of a few (optional and largely inconsequential) speech checks, and you'll gain enough levels by the end of it you can max out speech/repair/whatever in case you really need to.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Thompsons posted:

Frankly that's kind of a plothole even if you come in at level 15 without all the OWB goodies.

It's a plot hole in all the 3d games. In 1 and 2 you just put on your big boy pants and murdered the Masters army and the enclave. Nowadays you need to run around begging little Timmy to lend his slingshot to the cause.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Thompsons posted:

Yeah, it's a real bad case of gameplay and story segregation.

Storywise choosing to let the Sorrows fight or not is an incredibly morally complex decision that could be discussed for hours.

But gameplaywise it's completely loving pointless. The Sorrows contribute nothing to the final battle, they just show up and die pointlessly while the Courier does all the work as usual. It takes away a lot of the emotional impact of the decision when all you're thinking the entire time is "I could have just done all this myself, there was no reason for these dumb chumps to get slaughtered."

This is one of the few things Dead Money does right: During the final Battle with Elijah, if you were nice to Dean and/or Christine, they hack into the system to cheer you on and help you beat him and escape. It's a real "gently caress yeah teamwork!" moment where how you treated your companions actually feels like it mattered because it directly affects your in game survival. When NPCs actually do useful things mechanically having them around feels much more meaningful.

Azhais posted:

It's a plot hole in all the 3d games. In 1 and 2 you just put on your big boy pants and murdered the Masters army and the enclave. Nowadays you need to run around begging little Timmy to lend his slingshot to the cause.

The lack of an independent ending is one of the major reasons I'm probably never finishing Fallout 4's main quest-line (also because it sucks, although the DLCs and sidequests have some great stuff that was totally worth my money), I don't want to deal with the brotherhood or the railroad (Deacon is cool though, I kind of just stole Deacon and then abandoned the railroad questlines. We're bros now, I'm not giving him back) or the Minutemen, I just want to do my own drat thing to reach the credits and I really feel like that should have been an option.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 16, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It would have been fun if they made accomodations for a murderhobo run, where killing off a faction just happened to allow you to find a blueprint for a piece of the institute teleportermabob.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Neurolimal posted:

It would have been fun if they made accomodations for a murderhobo run, where killing off a faction just happened to allow you to find a blueprint for a piece of the institute teleportermabob.

Or if you could just stumble upon the Minuteman rickety screen door entrance on your own

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

New Vegas whole "maneuvring complex political alliances" stick kind of falls apart when you consider that a high-level Courier could wipe out entire armies without breaking a sweat. That's a general issue with RPGs being too accommodating to power fantasies though.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

dead comedy forums posted:

did dead money and now just finished raiding the fort and blasting caesar's head off with boone

1000 rounds of max charge gauss rifle ammo, ranger armor, 10 stealth boys and enough turbo to power a F-22 was one hell of a roman wannabe death roll

(though, to be fair, was thinking if I shouldn't have strolled down with gatling laser and power armor for maximum destruction)

Pssssh! a real man does it with a knife!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is one of the few things Dead Money does right: During the final Battle with Elijah, if you were nice to Dean and/or Christine, they hack into the system to cheer you on and help you beat him and escape. It's a real "gently caress yeah teamwork!" moment where how you treated your companions actually feels like it mattered because it directly affects your in game survival. When NPCs actually do useful things mechanically having them around feels much more meaningful.

I also love with Dean that doing the usual game thing where you pass every speech check and loot everything actually backfires because Dean's ego will never allow him to be shown up. If you pass speech checks that bruise his ego, pick any speech option that's rude or insulting toward him, or show that you're a threat due to your competency, he'll decide to take you down instead of working with you in the end.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

chitoryu12 posted:

I also love with Dean that doing the usual game thing where you pass every speech check and loot everything actually backfires because Dean's ego will never allow him to be shown up. If you pass speech checks that bruise his ego, pick any speech option that's rude or insulting toward him, or show that you're a threat due to your competency, he'll decide to take you down instead of working with you in the end.

Yeah, I can admit that was clever, but that combined with the radios/bomb collar thing and getting stripped of everything you bring in from the main game serious annoyed me. The fact that my game bugged out near the end of the DLC killed my interest at the time of finishing New Vegas.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

chitoryu12 posted:

Killing Dean is the correct choice. :colbert:

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

had somebody make a comment to me about how the NCR is the "good guy" faction in NV

lol just lol if you didn't identify mr. house as being the only moral solution to new vegas' problems:
he wants the Legion destroyed
he sends the NCR back to Cali which actually allows them to re-consolidate power and stop overextending resources
he institutes a benevolent technocracy which ultimately recreates manned space travel and colonizes the stars

the NCR is only the "good guys" if you're 100% a fan of US-style imperialism and can't imagine why a group trying to return to that method of rule might be a bad idea long term

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If you look at the ncr against the legion they're the good guy in that they're less terrible. But really the legion doesn't exactly set a high bar on that one.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Freaking Crumbum posted:

lol just lol if you didn't identify mr. house as being the only moral solution to new vegas' problems

Techbro spotted.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Freaking Crumbum posted:

had somebody make a comment to me about how the NCR is the "good guy" faction in NV

lol just lol if you didn't identify mr. house as being the only moral solution to new vegas' problems:
he wants the Legion destroyed
he sends the NCR back to Cali which actually allows them to re-consolidate power and stop overextending resources
he institutes a benevolent technocracy which ultimately recreates manned space travel and colonizes the stars

the NCR is only the "good guys" if you're 100% a fan of US-style imperialism and can't imagine why a group trying to return to that method of rule might be a bad idea long term

Lol if you think House rule ends in anything other than Bioshock, only worse.

edit: agreed 100% about NCR, though

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Keeshhound posted:

Techbro spotted.

i mean, we can only go off the context we're given in the game, but he's very clear that he has no interest in ruling the Mojave like some kind of feudal lord and basically just wants all of the other factions off his back so that he can complete his plans for space colonies.

i guess there's room to argue about whether his intentional lack of government would actually benefit marginalized people, but i don't know that any of the other three faction endings serve the lower classes any better. i guess you could roleplay the courier as a socialist / communist and take the independent ending with the head canon that the courier then turns NV into an omni-belevolent socialist utopia, but that's not how the independent ending is described in the ending slides.

it's just like the theoretical best ending for 4 is to have Nathan Drake take over control of the Institute and kick out all of the scientists that want to kill people for experiments and then use the massive resources at the institute's disposal to enact real, measurable change in boston

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Institute ending is just a Blade Runner prequel

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

There's a big chance that House winning would empower the worst elements of the NCR rather than enable them to reform themselves in a useful way. "getting screwed out of our rightful victory at the Dam by some leech and his robots who want all our money" is a pretty strong narrative of grievance that could tilt them in a much more hawkish direction.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I didn't pick up on the libertarian aspects of House, somehow - perhaps because it was against the backdrop of the post-post-apocalypse - and didn't really see much difference between the Courier 'ruling' and House ruling New Vegas.

Somehow I didn't pick up on his plans for space travel or whatever. I just updated the securitron army and... Invalidated my contract with House, so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

StandardVC10 posted:

There's a big chance that House winning would empower the worst elements of the NCR rather than enable them to reform themselves in a useful way. "getting screwed out of our rightful victory at the Dam by some leech and his robots who want all our money" is a pretty strong narrative of grievance that could tilt them in a much more hawkish direction.

my read on the situation (based on the things we learn in game) is that the "worst" elements of NCR society are the reason they're in the mojave in the first place, but basically every NCR citizen that isn't a complete government stooge knows they're barely holding on by their finger nails and actually wants the NCR to have a reason to leave. in that context, my guess is that a decisive loss for the NCR at Hoover Dam finally causes the warhawks in the NCR govt. to lose whatever minor credibility they had, which does not lead to a resurgent NCR military taking an even more desperate gamble to control the mojave.

basically i see it as a parallel to the US involvement in the Vietnam war where the end involved us basically getting the gently caress out at all costs. whether or not some black-ops element of the NCR remains to wage a cold war is another situation (and a potentially cool idea for a sequel) but i think that's beyond the scope of the game text to accurately predict