Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

edit:

And I'll forever love him for apologizing to the cooler.

https://twitter.com/SeanJRodriguez1/status/652206887182692352
:stare: I disliked him after the cooler thing, but this... this may redeem him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Tbh I softened a lot on Sean Rodriguez when he was in that horrible car crash. I can want him to fail as a baseball player but I don't want he or his family to be hurt

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tinstaach posted:

Paxton's from BC, I doubt he has any attachment to Toronto any more than someone from, I dunno, Cleveland has to New York.

maybe not toronto, but the Jays specifically. There's 4 hour waits at the border when the jays play @ mariners

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

bewbies posted:

so I have a doctor's appointment at the sports complex today at 11, and the royals and rays have a matinee game at 1. the weather here is perfect and tickets in the lower bowl are about $10

the royals and rays are so bad and generally uninteresting that i'm seriously considering not going

am i bad baseball fan?

Watch the Rays you jerk

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

tinstaach posted:

I kind of see where Votto's coming from, I feel like the 'Canadian throws a no-hitter in Canada!!!' storyline sort of plays off the feeling that a lot of Americans have, which is that Canada is just one homogeneous group of people, Tim Hortons Mounties igloos hurr hurr hurr. Paxton's from BC, I doubt he has any attachment to Toronto any more than someone from, I dunno, Cleveland has to New York.

I see where you're coming from but at the same time I think this is a false equivalency because MLB is so concentrated in the USA, and there's only one Canadian baseball team. Like imagine if there were 29 Canadian teams and a lone American team, less than 10 USA born players on all MLB rosters combined, and a Cleveland born pitcher threw a no-hitter in New York. There would absolutely be a lot of nationalistic pride over it despite the geographic gap.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Denny matthews was leaving the office as I was signing in, that was cool

I recognized his voice from around the corner

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

I see where you're coming from but at the same time I think this is a false equivalency because MLB is so concentrated in the USA, and there's only one Canadian baseball team. Like imagine if there were 29 Canadian teams and a lone American team, less than 10 USA born players on all MLB rosters combined, and a Cleveland born pitcher threw a no-hitter in New York. There would absolutely be a lot of nationalistic pride over it despite the geographic gap.

Part of this is also why some of the backlash is funny to me: Joey Votto is a big part of Canadian baseball.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bewbies posted:

Denny matthews was leaving the office as I was signing in, that was cool

I recognized his voice from around the corner

The universe is giving you a sign, friend

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

https://twitter.com/KeeganMatheson/status/996785610424836097

all aboard the motherfucking hype train

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I am excited and also very angry he's in the AL East.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Sydin posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. Maybe the one distinction is that there is at least one Canadian MLB team, plus the massive overlap between Canadian and American culture. So the effect is still there, it's just not as big as something like Japanese fans rooting for the Mariners because of Ichiro.

Or maybe it's because I grew up on the Windsor-Detroit border and I'm a traitor because I root for the Tigers instead of the Jays.

e: Since we're talking about him, take Vlad Jr.'s walkoff homer from this spring in Montreal. That was a pretty big moment for the fans local to Montreal, and with him being a Blue Jay it would have been huge in Toronto. But if it happened in Vancouver or somewhere else out west it wouldn't have been some huge national pride moment.

tinstaach fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 16, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

tinstaach posted:

I kind of see where Votto's coming from, I feel like the 'Canadian throws a no-hitter in Canada!!!' storyline sort of plays off the feeling that a lot of Americans have, which is that Canada is just one homogeneous group of people, Tim Hortons Mounties igloos hurr hurr hurr. Paxton's from BC, I doubt he has any attachment to Toronto any more than someone from, I dunno, Cleveland has to New York.

Tell that to all the Toronto Blue Jays fans who invade the city of Seattle from BC every time the Jays have a series at Safeco. I swear it's like a 60/40 split (or more) in favor of the Jays every time they're here.

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/874071774459289601
https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/874333533619277826

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 16, 2018

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I really, really hate replay & challenges.

It's even worse when I'm just listening to the game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

GalacticAcid posted:

Yesterdays Cubs @ Braves game was a resounding success for replay, I enjoyed it immensely.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

GalacticAcid posted:

Replay made the Yankees win (rightly) in extras the other day so replay is cool and good.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Disgusting to see defenders of such a barbaric practice. You're all blinded by short-term interest.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

GalacticAcid posted:

I'm just gonna toss out that I'm a Braves fan and replay is more or less totally worthless, and also the NYC team should be pushed out to sea on an ice floe

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

ihatepants posted:

Tell that to all the Toronto Blue Jays fans who invade the city of Seattle from BC every time the Jays have a series at Safeco. I swear it's like a 60/40 split (or more) in favor of the Jays every time they're here.

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/874071774459289601
https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/874333533619277826

I'm sure that there are Jays fans all over the country, but I doubt they were proud that their team got no-hit just because it was a Canadian that did it.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not too upset about the replay thing anymore but if that turns out to be the game where the Braves start getting shook and losing then I'll be mad again

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I just want a team in Montreal again. And heck, Winnipeg and somewhere in BC that the loving Mariners won’t bitch about.

Give Canada teams to root for that they might actually get to see play in the flesh ffs.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
vlad jr has 39 rbi in 33 games by gawd.

e: 40!!!!!!

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 16, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think the Mariners specifically jack up the prices if they see you're buying from Canada.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

GalacticAcid posted:

I'm glad replay exists and it works well enough as a concept, but I want to know how they are so loving awful at actually getting the calls right.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

tinstaach posted:

I'm sure that there are Jays fans all over the country, but I doubt they were proud that their team got no-hit just because it was a Canadian that did it.

I wasn't pumped about getting no hit, but that it was by a Canadian on Canadian soil took a bunch of the sting out of it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Maybe it's infeasible but there really needs to be a camera parallel to home plate so that NYC can tell more definitively if a runner touches the plate or merely breaks the plane. I've seen NYC "call stands" on that technicality a number of times now.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Make home plate capacitive touch so we can determine the moment a runner is safe.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Canada is so loving huge and we hate each other so much I don't know why anyone, especially actual canadians, are trying to speak for all of us.

Votto had a Canadian professional making it in America moment, who cares. Every Canadian that moves to the US to succeed has this moment. I'm glad he apologized but we all know he meant it.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
As a Canadian, I don't give two shits about what Joey Votto said. Sure, it would be nice if he wanted to be more of an ambassador for Canadian baseball, but he's under no obligation to do so and I respect the fact that he was honest about it. He could have said it in a nicer way, but then he wouldn't be the Joey Votto that most of us love.

Pretty much nobody that is upset by his comments actually gives a poo poo about Canadian baseball more than a cursory "sure, it would be cool if we were really good at baseball". But that won't stop them from being upset about it.

I also don't care about Canadian teams winning the Stanley Cup though and there sure seem to be a lot of those people, so I expect that that Venn diagram is essentially a circle.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Gobias Ind. posted:

I also don't care about Canadian teams winning the Stanley Cup though and there sure seem to be a lot of those people, so I expect that that Venn diagram is essentially a circle.

I care about this only from the standpoint that Trump having to watch Trudeau host a trophy would make him extremely angry.

Like if the Blue Jays somehow won the world series this year it would be worth it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

I care about this only from the standpoint that Trump having to watch Trudeau host a trophy would make him extremely angry.

Like if the Blue Jays somehow won the world series this year it would be worth it.

How upset would Trump be when the Blue Jays declined to visit the White House?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Poque posted:

He'd probably start some rhetoric about putting a wall on the Canadian border.

Popete posted:

How upset would Trump be when the Blue Jays declined to visit the White House?

He probably wouldn't care that much and play it off as not counting since the Blue Jays aren't an American team.

And conveniently ignore that it's called the World Series.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
*I wake up from stasis*

Me: "Has Jose Bautista been DFA'd yet?"

You: "no"

Me: "Put me back in"

*stasis pod closes*

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Check the SAS mouseover text from the forums list.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

*I wake up from stasis*

*Bautista swing and miss*

Me: "Has Jose Bautista been DFA'd yet?"

You: "no"

Me: "Put me back in"

*stasis pod closes*

*changeup floats past*

Fixed it for you.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Jason Castro has escalated from day-to-day to 4 weeks to out for the season.

Twins fans currently debating whether Realmuto will take the entire farm, or if he can be had for a couple posthype prospects. There does not seem to be a middle ground.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It hurts so much to watch Joey Bats swing at garbage in the dirt for Atlanta. Hate to say but I agreed with double switch to get him the gently caress out of there, last night :(

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I went to the game

royals bad, weather good

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Hand Knit posted:

Check the SAS mouseover text from the forums list.

For those of us who are 99% mobile, someone img this for me please.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

For those of us who are 99% mobile, someone img this for me please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Please put an MLB team in Winnipeg. I need an excuse to see that fancy new museum.

• Locked thread