Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Wario Land for the VB ruled, I actually spent an embarrassing amount of time playing the store demo of that game. I wish there was a good emulator for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Sure, SNES was good, but the Genesis had

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mu Zeta posted:

I'll never understand the Neo Geo. Why would you pay $300 for a dozen Street Fighter ripoffs and Puzzle Bobble. Each loving game was $300.

Simple! Exact same hardware and software as in the arcade.

Also: They’re worth upwards of $1k each now.

Metal Slug 2, home version, is worth about $3000 right now. Cart only. Estimated $6.5k with box and manual. It’s only about $60 for the arcade cart, which is hilarious because it’s literally the same two boards in the shell.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bobby Digital posted:

Sure, SNES was good, but the Genesis had

It's honestly kinda impressive how many ideas Sega had ahead of the curve but technology just wasn't ready for it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's honestly kinda impressive how many ideas Sega had ahead of the curve but technology just wasn't ready for it.

While they were ahead of the curve in a lot of ways they also handled a lot of things very, very stupidly.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

ToxicSlurpee posted:

While they were ahead of the curve in a lot of ways they also handled a lot of things very, very stupidly.

No question, I'm not one of the types who thinks Sega was cheated. They made their bed and could have survived a few screw ups but they just kept piling them on.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

No question, I'm not one of the types who thinks Sega was cheated. They made their bed and could have survived a few screw ups but they just kept piling them on.

Eh, you could argue that they were cheated early on in that they were a legit competitor for Nintendo in a hell of a lot of ways but...well, holy poo poo the decisions they made.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Early print ads for the GENESIS touted a modem add-on to allow remote multiplayer. It never made it to market, but the fact that such a thing was even on the table at that point is pretty impressive.

I can't remember if this has already been posted, but when it became clear that the Jaguar was a lost cause, Atari tried to cut their losses and liquidate stock via late night infomercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwz_fkR92fU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I loved my stupid Genesis, I played the absolute poo poo out of Master of Monsters, Warsong, and Phantasy Star 3.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's amazing that there were actually so many home console options in the 90's. I mean some of them weren't viable as noted, but they were still there, unlike today where your choices are the different flavors of PlayStation.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

It's amazing that there were actually so many home console options in the 90's. I mean some of them weren't viable as noted, but they were still there, unlike today where your choices are the different flavors of PlayStation.

It was cool to flip through Gamepro or whatever and have them reviewing games from a myriad of systems.

spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe
One of my friends had a Sega CD. We laughed how crap the games were (basically cut scenes with "push button now" sequences). He (his step dad probably) also had a vectrex.

Iron Crowned posted:

I knew a family with a CD32 (commodores mid-90s console effort).

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

spleen merchant posted:

One of my friends had a Sega CD. We laughed how crap the games were (basically cut scenes with "push button now" sequences). He (his step dad probably) also had a vectrex.

Uh, dude the Vectrex rules. Check out Armor Attack and Star Castle sometime. Obviously the arcade versions are better but those are fun games to play at home too.

Blackchamber has a new favorite as of 13:04 on May 15, 2018

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I remember in the summer of 1997 I went into a Babbages and they had a pile of Atari Jaguars for sale for six dollars each. New and in the box. Oh hindsight.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
But Genesis does what Nintendon't....

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

enigmahfc posted:

But Genesis does what Nintendon't....

Fail? It sure did :smuggo:.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Fail? It sure did :smuggo:.

Or only have one flash in the pan successful console, then fail utterly at everything afterwards.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Sega is/was so pissy about losing the console wars they later also got a company to make a series of games about their anime waifu console getting her revenge on the other anime waifu consoles who before all banded together to overthrow her. And the series became a big hit because gamers always wanted to gently caress their game consoles.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Sega is/was so pissy about losing the console wars they later also got a company to make a series of games about their anime waifu console getting her revenge on the other anime waifu consoles who before all banded together to overthrow her. And the series became a big hit because gamers always wanted to gently caress their game consoles.

Are you serious

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Randaconda posted:

Are you serious

Have you somehow been unaware of the Hyperdimension Neptunia series until now?

They're up to, what, eight games now? More?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you somehow been unaware of the Hyperdimension Neptunia series until now?

They're up to, what, eight games now? More?

I had heard/read the name somewhere, but I didn't know that was the plot.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I had a Genesis because I got it before SNES existed and we weren't a multi-console household. I still love so many of the games for it. There were so many good game between the SNES and Genesis back then it was crazy.

Genesis >>>>> SNES.
Soure: Console Warriors

please do not let this turn into a stupid as gently caress Sega vs. Nintendo thing

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...I never even saw a Jaguar in the store. Nobody I knew even claimed to have one. There were insane rumors over what the system (that and the Lynx) were capable of but as far as we knew the drat things didn't even exist.

In Bemidji, MN there used to be an Atari store. They had Lynxs and Jaguars. They were absurdly expensive. This would have been right when they were released I suppose. Atari disappeared very quickly after. I do miss my 1040ST. Great word processing and desktop publishing software. Also, all kinds of awesome games.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Randaconda posted:

I had heard/read the name somewhere, but I didn't know that was the plot.

Nah the main games are about how piracy is bad. The villain in the first game is a evil DS flashcart.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Didn't Sega have a game for the Saturn or DC called "SegaGaga" that was about some alternate reality where you were going to make Sega the #1 game company in the world and it had all sorts of minigames and such in it? IT came out really late in the console lifecycle from what I recall and was a Japan only release.

I tried to give the Phantasy Star Online anime a watch recently and I just couldn't make it through. The premise is that it's about people who are playing PSO. The further premise that Sega's had the most popular and beloved game on the planet was just too much a sci-fi concept that I couldn't accept it

edit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segagaga

quote:

Segagaga's storyline makes tongue-in-cheek references to the commercially unsuccessful Dreamcast console - the player is recruited by Sega in a last-ditch effort to stop a rival company from taking over the console market.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

Didn't Sega have a game for the Saturn or DC called "SegaGaga" that was about some alternate reality where you were going to make Sega the #1 game company in the world and it had all sorts of minigames and such in it? IT came out really late in the console lifecycle from what I recall and was a Japan only release.

I tried to give the Phantasy Star Online anime a watch recently and I just couldn't make it through. The premise is that it's about people who are playing PSO. The further premise that Sega's had the most popular and beloved game on the planet was just too much a sci-fi concept that I couldn't accept it

edit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segagaga

They sure did!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mentioned that one earlier I think. The best part is that to scout better developers for your team you had to... delve into the deep offices and go through a rogue-like sort of game to find them. Also all the developers in there are twisted mutants, because that's what shows respect for your staff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Not just consoles, but how many drat gaming magazines were there? Besides Nintendo Power, I would get GamePro and later PC Gamer once it started packaging demo cds with it. But there were so many magazines on the rack, though outside of the offical sega magazine and EGM, I can't remember titles, just they often had terrible in house art for new games.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

twistedmentat posted:

Not just consoles, but how many drat gaming magazines were there? Besides Nintendo Power, I would get GamePro and later PC Gamer once it started packaging demo cds with it. But there were so many magazines on the rack, though outside of the offical sega magazine and EGM, I can't remember titles, just they often had terrible in house art for new games.

My favorite was EGM 2, a completely different magazine. Eventually they changed their name to Expert Gamer.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I miss those days of walking around school with the latest copy of EGM or Gamepro or even just a manual for a game. I remember passing around the manual for Ultima Online's The Second Age expansion. Then getting home, saying gently caress homework I'm gonna mine some verite ore and cry when I got PKed.

Hell, the only time I'll actually sit down and read a magazine now is waiting for a haircut or a doctor's appt.

I have to imagine magazines got hit harder than newspapers.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I used to read Total! It was great :)

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

I Brake For MILFs posted:

I miss those days of walking around school with the latest copy of EGM or Gamepro or even just a manual for a game. I remember passing around the manual for Ultima Online's The Second Age expansion. Then getting home, saying gently caress homework I'm gonna mine some verite ore and cry when I got PKed.

Hell, the only time I'll actually sit down and read a magazine now is waiting for a haircut or a doctor's appt.

I have to imagine magazines got hit harder than newspapers.

I liked how specialized they got to the point of insanity. Bill Watterson did a nice job making fun of it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Atari in the 80's, Sega in the 90's and Nokia in the 00's all had very good ideas on where the games industry will go in the future, but they all failed in one way or another.

Nokia did a double-whammy with their gently caress-ups, since they also managed to be completely annihilated on the smartphone business, which they more or less invented.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Microsoft used to have to 360 with detachable face places so you could replace them with ones you wanted.

I think someone from MS commented that was a design decision that ended up not being as popular as they'd like but it was inspired by that early 00s era customized phone face/backs that were pretty much a huge market at the time. Within a few years though, people stopped caring about those in place of actual cases and the designs of phones changed so much.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I never knew that, that's why my friends 360 doesn't have a faceplate and he doesn't really care.

Der Kyhe posted:

Atari in the 80's, Sega in the 90's and Nokia in the 00's all had very good ideas on where the games industry will go in the future, but they all failed in one way or another.

Nokia did a double-whammy with their gently caress-ups, since they also managed to be completely annihilated on the smartphone business, which they more or less invented.

What's the current one? Motion controls? VR?

I feel like game companies often have tech myopia, where they create a technology and never actually think about how many people might actually want it? Motion controls would never replace controllers because controllers work. They're easy, they're intuitive and they don't take any special equipment to use. You need lots of room for motion controls, pay for the gear and they're not as accurate or intuitive as the controllers. Same with VR; a console plugged into a tv is super easy to use, and you don't need much more than that. VR you need to shell out a ton of money on top of your console and games, you can't use it in rooms that are too small, plus the gear is generally uncomfortable and awkward and also makes you look like a doofus.

That reminds me of the 90s VR craze.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVn3H93Ysag
That's some 90s rear end poo poo right there.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I was a super Nintendo kid, I still pick up the donkey Kong country series and super Mario world from time to time. Genesis was fine too, I always enjoyed playing it at friends houses, I've beat a couple of the Sonic games at least. But the SNES will always have a place in my heart.

I also had a game gear with only a couple of games. It was cool that it was backlit and you could play it under the covers at night, but that thing sucked down double-a's like crazy.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

I don't know which is better, Doomguy being drawn over a photo of Arnold Schwarzenegger or his helmet looking like a late 90s Winamp skin.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

C.M. Kruger posted:

a late 90s Winamp skin.

It’s been a long time since I’ve thought of winamp. That was definitely a ‘90s thing though. And by “that” I mean “caring deeply about what my mp3 program and OS in general looked like.”

On the rare occasion I’d get a new computer, the first day AT LEAST was dedicated to installing all the poo poo I needed to make it look super cool. I wish I could remember my go-tos but it’s been far too long.

I think at one point I downloaded a different mp3 thing (sonique maybe?) because it was sort of “organic” looking, which is also ‘90s in its own way. Took me all of four seconds to revert back. That was right around the time Barenaked Ladies was popular, because I distinctly remember playing “Pinch Me” on that program and that the volume knob on whatever skin was a dragon ball.

e: I never owned a Game Gear. Did have a Nomad for awhile though. It required seven thousand AA batteries.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Winamp skins talk reminded me of WindowBlinds, which I'm surprised to learn is still getting updates, while BootSkin has been pushed to unsupported status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Winamp is so much better than itunes. It really whips the llama's rear end.