Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I'm the "CRIME" shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Deathbulge is so good

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.

I appreciate this.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The timeline weirds me out but yeah it's not terrible

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

It’s quite straightforward on a second read. Jump forward, forward, forward, back, back, back.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

hey thats not funny at all.... :(

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

betamax hipster posted:

I didn't know I needed this game until now.

I think there is an rpg where you play as the dad and you have your wife and kids in the party too.

Lost odyssey on the Xbox 360.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Ineffiable posted:

I think there is an rpg where you play as the dad and you have your wife and kids in the party too.

Grandkids, actually. :ssh:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Holy poo poo, that is loving amazing!

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

RJWaters2 posted:

Every time it's posted I find something new. This time: Sally is number 4 to arrive. Sally Fourth.
E. I can't count. Instead, the punctuation in 6 is little hats

It's the first time I noticed that purple girl's hair extends out of the room

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Ineffiable posted:

Dragon Quest V has you start as a child in a party with your dad, then eventually you grow up, get married, and have kids who eventually also join your party. It’s a neat bit of storytelling

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

lofi posted:

Holy poo poo, that is loving amazing!

Check out Chris Ware he'll blow your mind

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Besides grandchildren Lost Odyssey also has mother and son.

...which might be a bit confusing if you don't know some of the main characters are immortal.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

your friend a dog posted:

hey thats not funny at all.... :(

Nor is it insightful nor succinct. The only real takeaway is if you are in a large group of friends it's okay to be a dick to strangers on the street because you will never receive any kind of comeuppance for your behavior and your life will turn out fine for you and your children and your children's children meanwhile a bunch of poo poo happens that doesn't have anything to do with anything really but it's okay as long as it wraps around in the end in some meaningless way.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's one of those things that attempts to make a non-point in an incredibly oh-so-deep way.
I mean whats the point it's trying to make? Sometimes people who are mean are not always mean? Or they have reasons for their behavior?

Wow what insight.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.

Agent355 posted:

It's one of those things that attempts to make a non-point in an incredibly oh-so-deep way.
I mean whats the point it's trying to make? Sometimes people who are mean are not always mean? Or they have reasons for their behavior?

Wow what insight.

It's saying that people have levels, that they have deeper and sometimes conflicting motivations for their actions, and a life cannot be reduced to a single characteristic or stereotype. Considering how our toxically divisive society insists on pigeon holing us all into tiny angry boxes, and how hate and fear of the "other" is rapidly destroying democratic institutions across the world, I think a comic that reminds us we're all human is heart warming. But you go ahead with your snark, you clever fellow you. You've outsmarted a comic. You must be very proud to have contributed something so meanful.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Is any of that profound? Is any of that really an insight to any except the most dense bricks of people? But no you go ahead and enjoy your pretentious art comic.

E: to be clear I LOVE art/media with a message. It's like my favorite thing. But you gotta put some effort into it, you can't just make a surface level comment, surround it in some pretentious presentation and then call it good. This is every bit as bad as every other 'I am 14 and this is deep' piece of dreck.

Agent355 has a new favorite as of 18:40 on May 16, 2018

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I would unironically play this game. Maybe not the chores part, but just a bog-standard RPG plot with parents who love you but don't take your quest all that seriously.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

How does Mum have negative 0 XP?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’ll resolve this disagreement.

Brewmaster posted:

But you go ahead with your snark, you clever fellow you. You've outsmarted a comic. You must be very proud to have contributed something so meanful.

Agent355 posted:

But no you go ahead and enjoy your pretentious art comic.

You’re both assholes. The end.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Legin Noslen posted:

Nor is it insightful nor succinct. The only real takeaway is if you are in a large group of friends it's okay to be a dick to strangers on the street because you will never receive any kind of comeuppance for your behavior and your life will turn out fine for you and your children and your children's children meanwhile a bunch of poo poo happens that doesn't have anything to do with anything really but it's okay as long as it wraps around in the end in some meaningless way.

A trend I've noticed recently that I absolutely hate is when people criticize the morality of characters and whether the work rewards or punishes that morality. It has the implicit idea that art is only valuable as a tool of moral instruction.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

How does Mum have negative 0 XP?

Buffer overflow. She's actually level bazillion but since the game can't handle big numbers she wraps back around to zero. How else did she survive the destruction of their village?

I like the dad's slightly more reserved and mature spiky protagonist hair. Must run in the family.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

A trend I've noticed recently that I absolutely hate is when people criticize the morality of characters and whether the work rewards or punishes that morality. It has the implicit idea that art is only valuable as a tool of moral instruction.

That type of criticism seems like a weird result of insisting that absolutely everything in a story must have meaning. Since someone wrote that it rained that day the rain must be to add a touch of melancholy. Whether a bad dead is punished or not must make a point about the state of society. If it isn't obvious then it must be deep. That kind of analysis makes fiction seem so distant from reality where chance and circumstance are so important, and justice is imperfect and the result of tireless effort.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I really like the ageing comic and don't think it has a message of any kind. It's an emotional meditation on how people change over time. Every character shown who is portrayed in two different time periods is essentially the exact opposite of how portrayed in the other time period. The street punk becomes a loving family man, the cute little girl becomes an emotionally abusive mother, the gay man in a relationship with a Desi was raised by an avowed racist who himself used to play with a south Asian girl until his father forced them apart. Its not a message about how this person's good and this person's bad and acting like this will be punished but this wont etc etc. If you were to force it to have a message it would be that labels such as good and bad are useless in the first place. But I think the piece honestly works better as a brief examination of personal change that I personally found emotionally affecting. Its not profound or an original, no. But saying that every piece of art must be profound is an unrealistic standard. Its perfectly possible to examine themes which have been examined before and still be good.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 20:07 on May 16, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I'm the fact that Luke Pearson worked on a few adventure time episodes

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I really like the ageing comic and don't think it has a message of any kind. It's an emotional meditation on how people change over time. Every character shown who is portrayed in two different time periods is essentially the exact opposite of how portrayed in the other time period. The street punk becomes a loving family man, the cute little girl becomes an emotionally abusive mother, the gay man in a relationship with a Desi was raised by an avowed racist who himself used to play with a south Asian girl until his father forced them apart. Its not a message about how this person's good and this person's bad and acting like this will be punished but this wont etc etc. If you were to force it to have a message it would be that labels such as good and bad are useless in the first place. But I think the piece honestly works better as a brief examination of personal change that I personally found emotionally affecting. Its not profound or an original, no. But saying that every piece of art must be profound is an unrealistic standard. Its perfectly possible to examine themes which have been examined before and still be good.

I can respect that, but I think the presentation of the comic is meat to evoke some sort of deeper meaning. It's hard to say why exactly it gives me the impression that it's trying to mean something, but when I get those vibes and no actual message to go along with it I recoil pretty hard.

Your take is cool and valid though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

the comic is meat

Yes

(BIG FLUFFY DOG put into words what I was struggling with, but in essence it's similar to what I saw, too. If I had tried to describe my thoughts properly though, it would have read like a joke, so I stopped myself.)

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Calaveron posted:

You’re thinking of questionable content which last I checked is about to have a lady gently caress a robot

no he was thinking of something positive

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Riatsala posted:

I would unironically play this game. Maybe not the chores part, but just a bog-standard RPG plot with parents who love you but don't take your quest all that seriously.

It needs constant dad jokes and the parents making smoochy noises and breaking out baby pictures every time the protagonist tries to have a romance subplot. They heal the protagonist by wiping his face with spit. The parents get all the usual inappropriate RPG armor outfits (male and female).

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brewmaster posted:

It's saying that people have levels, that they have deeper and sometimes conflicting motivations for their actions, and a life cannot be reduced to a single characteristic or stereotype. Considering how our toxically divisive society insists on pigeon holing us all into tiny angry boxes, and how hate and fear of the "other" is rapidly destroying democratic institutions across the world, I think a comic that reminds us we're all human is heart warming. But you go ahead with your snark, you clever fellow you. You've outsmarted a comic. You must be very proud to have contributed something so meanful.

Enjoy your tiny angry box

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

I can respect that, but I think the presentation of the comic is meat to evoke some sort of deeper meaning. It's hard to say why exactly it gives me the impression that it's trying to mean something, but when I get those vibes and no actual message to go along with it I recoil pretty hard.

Your take is cool and valid though.

Listen Bird...

Nm I just wanted to say that. We need bird comics. Someone post the bird CAW comic. I love that one. loving surly chickadee is the best.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Brewmaster posted:

You must be very proud to have contributed something so meanful.

I'm stealing this. Putting it right next to notworthy, to whip out when impotant and tiggering just ain't cutting it. Leave em all confused like, what they mean??? ??? ?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Karate Bastard posted:

I'm stealing this. Putting it right next to notworthy, to whip out when impotant and tiggering just ain't cutting it. Leave em all confused like, what they mean??? ??? ?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

I really feel the opposite. There's enough injustice and pointless suffering in reality that I cannot understand why anyone would create or seek out fiction with more of it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

But surely there's a difference between 'I don't want to read it' and 'it is a bad thing'?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I hate it because real life doesn't operate like that. People get away with being shitheads all the loving time, and art should reflect life.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This sort of attitude is nothing new. Under the old Hays Code regime all criminals had to be portrayed in such a way that nobody would feel any sympathy for them and they always had to get some kind of punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

This sort of attitude is nothing new. Under the old Hays Code regime all criminals had to be portrayed in such a way that nobody would feel any sympathy for them and they always had to get some kind of punishment.

Just looked at the proposal in 1927, and it's quite the read:

quote:

...That those things which are included in the following list shall not appear in pictures... irrespective of the manner in which they are treated:

Pointed profanity – by either title or lip – this includes the words "God", "Lord", "Jesus", "Christ" (unless they be used reverently in connection with proper religious ceremonies), "hell", "drat", "Gawd", and every other profane and vulgar expression however it may be spelled;
Any licentious or suggestive nudity – in fact or in silhouette; and any lecherous or licentious notice thereof by other characters in the picture;
The illegal traffic in drugs;
Any inference of sex perversion;
White slavery;
Miscegenation (sex relationships between the white and black races);
Sex hygiene and venereal diseases;
Scenes of actual childbirth – in fact or in silhouette;
Children's sex organs;
Ridicule of the clergy;
Willful offense to any nation, race or creed;

...That special care be exercised in the manner in which the following subjects are treated, to the end that vulgarity and suggestiveness may be eliminated and that good taste may be emphasized:

The use of the flag;
Theft, robbery, safe-cracking, and dynamiting of trains, mines, buildings, etc. (having in mind the effect which a too-detailed description of these may have upon the moron);
Methods of smuggling;
Sympathy for criminals;
Attitude toward public characters and institutions;
Sedition;
Titles or scenes having to do with law enforcement or law-enforcing officers;
Excessive or lustful kissing, particularly when one character or the other is a "heavy".