Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The correct way to play Janitor is to space-lube the floor, but /sigh and point at the diligently-placed sign you set down whenever someone skids past and faceplants a wall.

last i did this I received a friendly admin reminder that it was not allowed and continuing even with signs up would land me a ban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boiled Water posted:

last i did this I received a friendly admin reminder that it was not allowed and continuing even with signs up would land me a ban

Lol if that ever stops you from doing a thing

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i like to not be banned :shrug:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Space lube causes a fair bit of damage, so I can see why the admins would be against that for non-antags, but 90% of the crew will still slip and fall on simple water and space cleaner, which is completely kosher because it's literally the janitor's job to spread that around.

And in my experience, the goonstation admins are generally very reasonable. You just need to make a good faith effort to stay within the rules, and take responsibility if you gently caress up. I once panicked and killed someone who approached me dressed like a nuke op (and also identified as such by a third party over the radio, following several explosions) who turned out to not have been an antag, and the mod on duty was very understanding about the situation because it certainly wasn't my intent to murder an innocent* person, it was just a chaotic situation.

*It was Horse Horsington, so "innocent" is extremely relative in this case.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boiled Water posted:

i like to not be banned :shrug:

You must learn the ways of george melons in order to avoid the banhammer

I am down for goon sesh on sat, I have been taking a break after poopsocking for like like 3 months

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Angry Diplomat posted:

For context, Motherfucker here has basically always been kind of a petulant dick-rear end player and for quite a while they were like sort of a dark thread mascot, with most everyone simultaneously loathing them and being strangely fond of their eternally complaining presence in the thread.

If Motherfucker is complaining bitterly about the admins, that's just Motherfucker being Motherfucker.

I'm the moral heart of this game and you can't just keep shutting me out, Dip. Cmon, bring it in bud.

Lord Doom
Jul 17, 2008
Heroes get remembered, but legends never die

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Never super got into SS13 for all my years of BYOND but Colonial Marines really got it hooks into me. Something about having some wild crazy story to tell every time I play it is super engaging.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

Space lube can actually hurt innocent spacemen quite badly, which is why this is discouraged.

If someone complains about water lmk who and I will swirly them.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Motherfucker posted:

I'm the moral heart of this game and you can't just keep shutting me out, Dip. Cmon, bring it in bud.

First there was George Melons. Then there was Lord Doome. Now, we have Motherfucker.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There are still other ways of reviving people, for those that know what they're doing.

Dunno if those other methods were during donut station

Boiled Water posted:

what if you're the chef and just need the most dangerous meat known to man?

Thats what I told the admin why I was gibbing the corpses, and got a ban shortly after.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Honestly I never saw the need to use space lube unless I was actively trying to kill people-- water's funnier because then it's entirely the crew's fault when they inevitably slip and go flying into medbay instead of rounding the corner to get to escape.

Also janitor is my favorite job for the above reasons.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Oh boy oh boy i've been waiting for this day for SO LONG

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

PopeCrunch posted:

Oh boy oh boy i've been waiting for this day for SO LONG

What day?

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Someone's come back to us, and it's not Motherfucker.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

PopeCrunch posted:

Someone's come back to us, and it's not Motherfucker.

Is... is it Cogwerks? :frogbon:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Is... is it Cogwerks? :frogbon:

Oh man, I hope everything is going okay for Cogs.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Cogs pops up in IRC every so often and is doing well, but no, that's not who has returned.

Hint: This person used to have their very own caveat in the rules

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

PopeCrunch posted:

Cogs pops up in IRC every so often and is doing well, but no, that's not who has returned.

Hint: This person used to have their very own caveat in the rules

Is it lourde doome?

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

frodnonnag posted:

Is it lourde doome?

It is! :hfive:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Leal posted:

Thats what I told the admin why I was gibbing the corpses, and got a ban shortly after.

Really? As far as I'm aware, there's no rule against messing up corpses however you want on goonstation. If someone is specifically trying to revive them, I could see there being some gray area, but outside of that, I'm pretty sure there's no special protections on the dead.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's the thing, some admins are british and hate fun. Other admins like fun.

If there's an admin on that hates fun you'll know because they will yell at you for stupid stuff. Learn who the fun hating admins are and act like a good boy while they are around.

For bonus points you can edge on the border of being a bad boy because you know that admin is probably watching you and it's fun to mess with authority figures.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

Leal posted:

I've been banned for gibbing corpses during a gimmick round where robotics and cloning was destroyed, thus the bodies had no way of coming back :goleft:

Dead people have no rights. If you were banned for this, I'll happily reverse it. What's your key?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Grayshift posted:

Dead people have no rights. If you were banned for this, I'll happily reverse it. What's your key?

Oh this happened a long, long time ago. Like back when Donut station was the station. I was just adding to the "you wont be banned for mistakes" conversation. E: And it was only a day so its not like I'm still annoyed by it

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

:allears:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leal posted:

Oh this happened a long, long time ago. Like back when Donut station was the station. I was just adding to the "you wont be banned for mistakes" conversation. E: And it was only a day so its not like I'm still annoyed by it

Ya admins used to ban for the dumbest poo poo. Most of those idiots burned out, people are pretty chill at least on goonstation now.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I've logged in. I'm observing. All I can hear is screaming, farting and there seems to be a monkey roaming the station dual wielding AK47s

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

TTerrible posted:

I've logged in. I'm observing. All I can hear is screaming, farting and there seems to be a monkey roaming the station dual wielding AK47s

~It's a wonderful world~

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmm, I tried to log in after ages of not playing, I have the current stable BYOND installed (5.11 something) but it said it wanted Dreamworks 5.12; should I update beyond to the 5.12 beta to play?

Lord Doom
Jul 17, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, I tried to log in after ages of not playing, I have the current stable BYOND installed (5.11 something) but it said it wanted Dreamworks 5.12; should I update beyond to the 5.12 beta to play?

Downloading the 5.12 beta made it work for me, so I would say yes.

A new age of love and terror is upon us as I return from my long slumber.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

EclecticTastes posted:

*It was Horse Horsington, so "innocent" is extremely relative in this case.

a man so bad, I was given a chemical so dangerous that it blew up half the station to destroy him and he -still- got away

rip PDX

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Lord Doom posted:

Downloading the 5.12 beta made it work for me, so I would say yes.

A new age of love and terror is upon us as I return from my long slumber.

Awesome, thanks! :)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

First there was George Melons. Then there was Lord Doome. Now, we have Motherfucker.

those were all good players before you said Motherfucker :doh:

Lord Doom
Jul 17, 2008

Weeping Wound posted:

:love:

Also Melons and I were contemporaries. And Lovers.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

YellerBill posted:

Honestly I never saw the need to use space lube unless I was actively trying to kill people-- water's funnier because then it's entirely the crew's fault when they inevitably slip and go flying into medbay instead of rounding the corner to get to escape.

Also janitor is my favorite job for the above reasons.

Chemistry request - is there something that is a compromise between space lube and water? Maybe some sort of detergent that won't cause the brute damage of space lube but still sends people sprawling several tiles away?

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Theres a whole universe of chemicals you can put in the floor buffer

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

In my first ever round of SS13 (100 years ago), some dude was being a mega dick to me re: my inability to work the cloner. Lord doome suddenly burst in through a window (a space window) and murdered the guy with dual red chainsaws, then handed one to me and just sort of went on his way. There was a lot of shouting about kidnapping and murder and piss over the radio, but it was a pretty good first round for me.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
This makes me wonder if you could add synthflesh to space lube and create a selfhealing ice rink from hell. Trapped forever sliding.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Weeping Wound posted:

Times change, I'm afraid. But now time has apparently changed back and we have Lorde Doome again!

Lord Doom posted:

:love:

Also Melons and I were contemporaries. And Lovers.

I still remember the time you randomly took me under your wing and taught me how to hack airlocks, then stood stock still, said "I'm a poo poo person," and spontaneously sublimated into a mushroom cloud of flame before a squad of gay bikers teleported in and kicked me to death. I never did get any context for that and frankly I think it's probably funnier that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Dirk the Average posted:

Chemistry request - is there something that is a compromise between space lube and water? Maybe some sort of detergent that won't cause the brute damage of space lube but still sends people sprawling several tiles away?

Cryo/Ice?