Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Hawkeye

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

3) Not get anything out of black panther. Tchalla's idealism is what gave the cia guy the throne.

Will he by any chance ultimately win due to idealism, after a period of self contemplation, thus validating that good wins over evil? 

I can't wait to find out!!!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 16, 2018

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

SciFiDownBeat posted:

"bury me in the sea with my ancestors who jumped from the ships... because they knew that death was better than bondage."

That's a weird quote. Tell me we're not meant to just applaud it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kazak posted:

Dr Strange was relatively good. Far and away the best looking marvel movie I've seen

I thought Dr Strange was quite good but I have a bias because I love psychedelic themes and visuals.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Edgy

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

I thought Dr Strange was quite good but I have a bias because I love psychedelic themes and visuals.

It's also one of the few that isn't resolved by simply slugging through every obstacle. I enjoyed Dr Strange and will defend it's honor online

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Will he by any chance ultimately win due to idealism, after a period of self contemplation, thus validating that good wins over evil?

I can't wait to find out!!!

He won because of a (dis)loyal general, an army he politiqued out of a neutral state, theft of state secrets by his sister, and a cia officer.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

Also, when killmonger ordered the sacred grotto burned, I got an erection over his competency as a ruler

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Hey audiences! Black liberation and radical resistance? It's bad! Centrism and diplomacy? Those are good. The CIA is your ally

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebpKx8P8q_w

Heh, maybe some of you naysayers missed this sweet reference to epic internet culture? It's okay if you missed it it, it happens to the best of us sometimes too. Look for other cool references to Memes in Black Panther and you might just spot some if you know your stuff.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
They used the 2-year old "What are those" meme in 2 marvel movies this year and it made me die inside.

also, I'm pretty sure I heard it in the new God of War too :smith:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I would have preferred Killmonger had won and sequels were Wakanda exporting revolution and doing actual good around the world by expropriating the expropriators. Marvel killed its only real potential hero of consequence imo

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Kazak posted:

Hey audiences! Black liberation and radical resistance? It's bad! Centrism and diplomacy? Those are good. The CIA is your ally

All too true. I also like how they laid responsibility of the oppression of black people on a made-up African country, like "why isn't Africa doing something about all this racism?" Interestingly, there are a number of real historical African civilizations (empires and confederations) they could of used as the basis of the story instead of some Star Trek fantasy civilization, but we got to make sure to add a spoonful of sugar to make the lesson go down easier. The CIA thing is just the icing on the cake. After decades of destabilizing African countries, the CIA are just tryin' to help out! The movie does the same thing to Africa that white directors do: turn it into an exotic, colorful place where anything can happen.

It's nice to have a film with a mostly black cast though, and it's pretty fun (as fun as these stupid things get). So there's that.

Oh, and Killmonger had it right.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 16, 2018

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Kuato posted:

I would have preferred Killmonger had won and sequels were Wakanda exporting revolution and doing actual good around the world by expropriating the expropriators. Marvel killed its only real potential hero of consequence imo

If Killmonger ruled the Earth and Hela ruled Asgard, Thanos wouldn't have been able to do poo poo.

Thor doomed his entire race because he got beat up by his sister lol.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Kuato posted:

I would have preferred Killmonger had won

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
The Marvel hate is just weird. I stopped being a comic book kid at around 13 because I'm a functional human being, but it's fun to go to the movies a few times a year and think about how much 13 year old me would have loved these movies if he'd survived. Acting like Disney is committing crimes against humanity by making goofy super hero movies seems like way more work than just not going to see them.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Love Rat posted:

All too true. I also like how they laid responsibility of the oppression of black people on a made-up African country, like "why isn't Africa doing something about all this racism?" Interestingly, there are a number of real historical African civilizations (empires and confederations) they could of used as the basis of the story instead of some Star Trek fantasy civilization, but we got to make sure to add a spoonful of sugar to make the lesson go down easier. The CIA thing is just the icing on the cake. After decades of destabilizing African countries, the CIA are just tryin' to help out! The movie does the same thing to Africa that white directors do: turn it into an exotic, colorful place where anything can happen.

It's nice to have a film with a mostly black cast though, and it's pretty fun (as fun as these stupid things get). So there's that.

Oh, and Killmonger had it right.

Really, there’s real historical African civilizations that were hit by Vibranium meteorites and have flying spaceships?

I gotta brush up on my African history

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

It's called europe

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Really, there’s real historical African civilizations that were hit by Vibranium meteorites and have flying spaceships?

There is but their existence is masked by tech so we don’t know which one it is, or if they all are. It’s all speculative but very much likely.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lol don't you even know about the pyramids smdh

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Not really my point, but I applaud your pointing out this this very obvious thing goon sir.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

im gonna hit the vibranium latter tonight iykwim

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

SCROTO TURBOSPERG posted:

im gonna hit the vibranium latter tonight iykwim

Clubbin' all night. Laying up the ladies with the V.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
Who would Black Panther support in the ongoing war between the South African government vs white land-owning farmers?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Libs can't handle "straight talk" there were exactly two broken white boys. Telling it like it is

I would like to buy d'buoirgre.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BloodRed posted:

Who would Black Panther support in the ongoing war between the South African government vs white land-owning farmers?

black panther doesnt give a gently caress about any of that. if he was white black panther would be Donald Trump (except he already has a wall)

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

BloodRed posted:

Most likely would support a phased, compensatory version of the expropriation plan carried out over the next 20 years paired with an agricultural training program to educate prospective farmers on productive food production techniques.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kazak posted:

Exactly. gently caress that movie

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Rutibex posted:

black panther doesnt give a gently caress about any of that. if he was white black panther would be Donald Trump (except he already has a wall)

Which is why he is great

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Which is why he is great

More of a sloth or perhaps gorilla than a panther really. Though that's kind of selling those animals short.

I wonder how much a Trump pelt could fetch on the Chinese black market.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
why didnt doormomoo just torture the gently caress out of strange instead of killing him

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
its implied that strange did suffer a lot. also every time the loop restarted dormamu didnt seem to have a full realization of all previous loops and would be starting in pretty much the same mode every time where his first resort would be killing strange

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

counterpoint: disney is also producing the new Star Wars films and they are doing a really piss poor job of listening to fans and making a good story

Counter counterpoint: I would argue that part of the reason the films are bad is because they give too much consideration to fans rather than letting the films stand on their own.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Frankenstyle posted:

The Marvel hate is just weird. I stopped being a comic book kid at around 13 because I'm a functional human being, but it's fun to go to the movies a few times a year and think about how much 13 year old me would have loved these movies if he'd survived. Acting like Disney is committing crimes against humanity by making goofy super hero movies seems like way more work than just not going to see them.

It's not so much that Disney is making goofy super hero movies, but that Disney is slowly taking over the entertainment market. They've absorbing Marvel, Lucasfilm, and 20th Century Fox. They run ABC along with their various Disney channels. They've been incredibly successful financially, so now everyone is trying to copy their "cinematic universe" strategy. Disney has a particular way of storytelling that is usually family-friendly and inoffensive, which is fun. However, by slowly devouring or strangling off their competitors and their forms of storytelling, it means everything in TV and movies are feeling more uniform.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

Counter counterpoint: I would argue that part of the reason the films are bad is because they give too much consideration to fans rather than letting the films stand on their own.

i don't think digging up geriatric old star wars actors in order to make them look like idiots then kill them on screen is much "consideration to fans". carrie fisher was lucky to have died in real life before they had the chance to kill her on screen, but she was next.

i guess they will have to kill lando calrissian in the next one or something

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

You know, I think the true abomination of the last jedi could have been redeemed if she'd joined kylo ren at the end. At least the next movie would have been interesting and there would have been a point to her scenes for the movie

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs when a video game like Battlefront II does a better job of capturing the magic of the original heroes than the movies.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

You know, I think the true abomination of the last jedi could have been redeemed if she'd joined kylo ren at the end. At least the next movie would have been interesting and there would have been a point to her scenes for the movie

It would have been funny if the movie involved a face-heel turn, where Rey defeated Kylo to become Snoke's apprentice. Maybe then Finn and Rose could become Jedi and kill whitey, causing all the alt-right turdmongers' heads to explode.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

gary oldmans diary posted:

its implied that strange did suffer a lot. also every time the loop restarted dormamu didnt seem to have a full realization of all previous loops and would be starting in pretty much the same mode every time where his first resort would be killing strange

okay but then... why would he give up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

i don't think digging up geriatric old star wars actors in order to make them look like idiots then kill them on screen is much "consideration to fans". carrie fisher was lucky to have died in real life before they had the chance to kill her on screen, but she was next.

i guess they will have to kill lando calrissian in the next one or something

I was thinking more how almost every shot was just an homage to a shot from an earlier film and the new shots they added were homages to the prequel trilogy in that they were utter poo poo.

• Locked thread