Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ate all the Oreos posted:

USPS is actually very good at intuiting what you meant if you gently caress up an address

I really want to send something just addressed to "That one bastard, Seattle, Washington."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
in actual good news wireguard finally released an osx client

just needs ios client and i can stop using openvpn forever

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

USPS is actually very good at intuiting what you meant if you gently caress up an address

doesnt usps usually just need house number and zip code to know what you meant?

it's something like that

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bunni-kat posted:

I really want to send something just addressed to "That one bastard, Seattle, Washington."

I think Jeff's address is publicly known.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

Time for me to leave the ol spicy brown bag on his doorstep

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Arcsech posted:

doesnt usps usually just need house number and zip code to know what you meant?

it's something like that

yeah, zip + 4 and one other piece of information should be enough
if its a po box, you can do zip + 4 and nothing else if you want to feel like a spy

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
usps pushed the zip+4 poo poo really hard back in the day but it was a time where it was near impossible to figure out what those +4 were. but now with the internet most addresses can be deduced automatically so

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Potato Salad posted:

Best possible answer.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

goddamnedtwisto posted:

in the uk the royal mail have a master database of every valid postal address that is considered authoritative and can be licensed
that must be a huge regex

Ulf fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 17, 2018

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Ulf posted:

We're gonna need a shitload of dimes.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

duz posted:

yeah, zip + 4 and one other piece of information should be enough
if its a po box, you can do zip + 4 and nothing else if you want to feel like a spy

What does the +4 stand for?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ulf posted:

reginex, at least for the moment :ohdear:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EssOEss posted:

What does the +4 stand for?

it's 4 more zip code digits added to the end that allow the code to be specific enough to narrow it down to something like a city block, apartment complex, small neighborhood etc

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

they should just move to using WhatThreeWords instead :smug:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

it's 4 more zip code digits added to the end that allow the code to be specific enough to narrow it down to something like a city block, apartment complex, small neighborhood etc

the 4 digits represent a specific carrier route or PO box

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The cell tower location data of every American cell phone on all carriers was accessible via a lovely demo form for a least a year: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/05...a-its-web-site/

duz
Jul 11, 2005

all this location stuff came at a good time since our customers have been asking for the questionably legal functionality the competition was offering them and weve been having to try and not outright say they are doing something theyre not supposed to, now we have these articles to show off and give us some room
yay for secfucks drawing away attention i guess

duz fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 18, 2018

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Trabisnikof posted:

The cell tower location data of every American cell phone on all carriers was accessible via a lovely demo form for a least a year: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/05...a-its-web-site/

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/995481665026871296

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

I found my first career secfuck! An application my poo poo was linking to added a login page, but implemented it such that the page my app links to (with the sensitive data) is transmitted in full before some js is executed to redirect the login page.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Some asshat at a customer site decided that figuring out the routing from our Site2Site VPN was too hard and just exposed our server to the public internet without telling us. Take a guess what happened.

I'm not looking forward to the fallout from this cluster gently caress :(

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
External client secfuck...our API accepts an optional HTTP header that allows clients to send in their own correlation ID's so they can track events that pass through our system. Today I was looking at some logs to track down a harmless issue and noticed that some of the requests for a particular user had a correlation id of 'geoffrey2017'...ehhhh spidey sense prickling...a little more digging and it turns out for certain requests, one of our clients is sending through member's passwords in the correlation id.

How does this happen. I don't just mean as a secfuck, but just...how is their code written so that such a nonsensical bug like that exists?

Also we put a ton of effort into making sure our logs don't contain sensitive data but obvs this circumvented it and now I've had to clean our logs going back almost a year till when we went live.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Janitor Prime posted:

Some asshat at a customer site decided that figuring out the routing from our Site2Site VPN was too hard and just exposed our server to the public internet without telling us. Take a guess what happened.

I'm not looking forward to the fallout from this cluster gently caress :(

Crypto or all customer info got leaked?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Zil posted:

or?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

so am I understanding the situation correctly when I say everybody involved with PGP is a dick?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

Not sure what the impact was to the other systems on their lan, our only ssh login that worked didn't have sudo. From what I could tell form looking in /tmp they were running a bunch of bitcoin poo poo on it our 64core server. The system wasn't live yet, so there wasn't any data on that server to be had, but who knows about what else got owned on their network.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

pseudorandom name posted:

so am I understanding the situation correctly when I say everybody involved with PGP is a dick?

You understand the situation correctly if your conclusion from the recent PGP news was "never use email to send something that's meant to be secure".

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lain Iwakura posted:

https://twitter.com/KateLibc/status/992810127383183364

the thread i quoted is good too but yeah. telephony sucks and it will never get better so i talked about how i abused it once

oh hey I went to his side track talk at def con Beijing and it was good

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Cocoa Crispies posted:

oh hey I went to his side track talk at def con Beijing and it was good

he's really knowledgeable on telephony. i wouldn't ever argue with him

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pseudorandom name posted:

well, https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2018/05/17/was-the-efail-disclosure-horribly-screwed-up/

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

quote:

Sadly, the GnuPG team made the decision that it’s not their job to pre-emptively address problems that they view as ‘clients misusing the GnuPG API’ (my paraphrase), even when that misuse appears to be rampant across many of the clients that use their tool. And so the most obvious fix for one part of the problem was not available.

Not surprised in the least

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Raere posted:

Not surprised in the least

Good avatar - post combo.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

shady as hell warnings with bribes in attempt to get around GDPR??

https://twitter.com/jjbbllkk/status/997491067086819328

opt in/out of.. what

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm not a lawyer, and definitely not one worrying about not getting slapped with 4%-of-global-revenue fines. But if I was, I'd be concerned about that sort of thing not actually counting as users giving informed consent to what you want to do.

E: is gdpr compliance going to have tip-off bounties like tax evasion does?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I've heard there are a bunch of companies getting set up to do GDPR ambulance chasing in the same way the PPI claim thing spawned it's own little industry.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

duz posted:

all this location stuff came at a good time since our customers have been asking for the questionably legal functionality the competition was offering them and weve been having to try and not outright say they are doing something theyre not supposed to, now we have these articles to show off and give us some room

There will be muted outrage for a week, if that, before Trump literally kills a puppy on live TV and everyone forgets about this. Your customers have literally nothing to fear pushing for this.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jewel posted:

shady as hell warnings with bribes in attempt to get around GDPR??

https://twitter.com/jjbbllkk/status/997491067086819328

opt in/out of.. what

synergy is doing something slightly different but equally cheeky:

ooo you want to hear that exciting news don't you, eh buddy? ehh?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Volmarias posted:

There will be muted outrage for a week, if that, before Trump literally kills a puppy on live TV and everyone forgets about this. Your customers have literally nothing to fear pushing for this.

i agree that it will leave the news cycle shortly its more that we dont want to do it as a company because despite being scum we try to be ethical scum
this isnt the first thing customers have asked for that weve tried to avoid doing because we felt it was ethically dubious

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

duz posted:

when we have potential clients tell us that their current vendor lets them get PHI over SMS I tell them we dont do that because its a huge HIPAA violation.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

synergy is doing something slightly different but equally cheeky:

one of my clients did something similar to this for their second GDPR mailer, subject line to the effect of “First look at *new product*” with a standard GDPR text opt-in (no new product news in the email itself), it actually garnered a couple thousand additional signups (people actually want this product) and I guess the trade off for the brand is if users ignore it they are gonna get cleaned anyhow come next week.

Cheeky though.

Cabal Ties fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

are they gonna announce which synergy they are?

• Locked thread