Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?

Halcyon City! Greatest city in the world! Hotbed of superpowers! Peaceful and safe!1 Low insurance rates!2 Protected by the strongest Heroes in the universe! Yes, the citizens of Halcyon are truly fortunate!

1 Supervillain attacks may occur up to twice monthly.
2 Yeah, no.

...or at least that's what they want you to think. The truth is that the traditional power structures haven't been able to keep up since the appearance of super powers three generations ago. These unstoppable titans are utterly unaccountable to anyone except each other! All the government can (or wants) to do is provide the illusion of safety. Coverups, scapegoats, massive media campaigns — anything to maintain public trust in the Heroes. They do, after all, keep us safe from those other superpowered jerks, the villains who don't even pretend to be altruistic.

And of course, corruption breeds more of itself. Not just Heroes, but the rich, the powerful, the famous — they all benefit from a culture that tells the oppressed to shut up, sit down, and not cause a stir.

Because you wouldn't want to shatter the lie that everything is fine, would you? Even if you were young, with fire in your heart. Even if you'd met a team of like-minded individuals. Not even if you actually had the power to stand up and make a difference.

...right?

What's this?
It's Masks! Be a teenager with superpowers and work out your issues by punching evil! Be the generation that can reshape society, for better or worse!

Okay, but what's this Masks game?
* 3-5 players.
* Asynchronous Discord, at an expected pace of 1-2 posts a week (-ish). Server is here.
* LE playbooks are OK.
* Recruitment open until the 27th 20th.
* Bear with me, I haven't GM'd before.

In addition to the questions in your playbook, answer me this:
* How has the injustice of society affected you, personally?

Optionally, help me seed some NPCs! People your character isn't personally connected to, at least not yet. If you want, give me a brief rundown (like two, three sentences) on any number of the following:
* A mundane authority figure.
* A famous, big-shot Hero.
* A small-time villain and/or their crew.
* Someone from the media.
* Another powered teen.
* Someone else!

Auraboks fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Hero Name: Webway
Looks: Woman, Average Face, casual Clothing, sleek Costume
Abilities: teleportation & portals

quote:

How did you travel from the future to the present day?

Uhh, a bit of jail breaking and a lot of luck? It was kind of a dumb idea, all things considered. See, my bff back in my time, Retry, (he’s got the power to jump back a few seconds in time, you see) accidentally CROSSED THE BEAMS in a fight and jumped us a few minutes into the future – something that wasn’t really supposed to be possible with his power.

Which was when I had an idea that I thought was fairly great at the time – Hey what if we can prevent this whole “95% of the world population dying with this?”

Well, we didn’t have that thought immediately. First we kind of got really, really drunk. Recursive bear bottles. We kept sending beer bottles back and forth in time until they duplicated.

And THEN we did the whole “travelling back in time” thing.

Yes, I was loving smashed when I got here, thanks for asking.

quote:

What keeps you from returning to the future?

Well, uh, Retry kinda hasn’t been born yet and all. So it’s mostly an one-way thing at the moment. I kinda miss Retry, guy was great fun to have around.

But you know, this is so much better than the future already! They got loving BUMPER CARS back here. That is so amazing! I love bumper cars.

Also a much bigger variety of alcohol. Unfortunately, they also have a restriction on me being allowed to buy that beer. gently caress that poo poo, seriously. I ain’t got time for that.
And food! Holy poo poo, the food is so amazing. gently caress these nutrient cracker things they got in the future. I just ate a goddamn steak yesterday and it was the best thing I ever had!

quote:

Why don't you have perfect recollection of the future?

Because the future doesn’t have a loving perfect recollection of the future, man. It’s FUBAR. A hosed up plague killed off like, 90% of earth’s population. We later realized it was a goddamn bioweapon that got leaked out and mutated. Societal breakdown and the ensuing chaos killed another 5% off.

Some crazy rear end group of super nerds calling themselves Ascension made this loving thing. They believed superhumans to be the next step in humans evolution and the normies to be obsolete. Superhuman politics haven’t changed much and they were pissed about not being worshipped as golden gods or some poo poo.

So what this thing does is that it infects your bloodstream. If you got the Sierram gene, you’re mostly fine. You’ll just be a carrier of the plague, and infect people without ever realizing it. But if you don’t, it’ll start clogging up the bloodstream, essentially a fake heart attack.

It was supposed to spread unnoticed until activated by a specific radio signal broadcast across the world, but it mutated and went off without a trigger.

End result? Was fairly close to the goddamn rapture.

quote:

What is the one thing you know for sure you've already changed for the better?

The reason things went as bad as they did is because nobody knew about this crazy bioweapon until it was far too late. It took a while for people to believe me (Apparently me drunkenly trying to fight a street lantern when I first showed up didn’t leave the best impression), but eventually they did.

Of course, I have this crap in my blood too. A dead version, at least. Got vaccinated against it. I gave some super nerds people seem to trust with it samples of my blood, and they’re studying it to try and make a cure against it.

The problem is, Ascension is still out there and nobody, including me, really has an idea who, or even where they are. They got to be stopped. Permanently.

quote:

Why is this team the one you must join to achieve your mission’s goals?

I’m a good fighter, but even I know I’m not invincible. I’m going to need help. And who best to ask than the person known as one of the greatest heroes of all time?

… who’s also my parent.

quote:

How has the injustice of society affected you, personally?

Man, do you have any idea how hard it was to not just get locked away for being a) superpowered and b) drunk at the same time? When I woke up the morning I was in a jail cell already. When I asked who they were they just laughed and thought I'm crazy! And almost immediately wanted to stick me in an asylum. Needless to say, I got the hell out of dodge immediately, teleporting straight outta the cell and onto the street. Of course, that only prompted them immediately send the big guns at at me. I was so goddamn confused at what was happening. I recognized the city I was in, but it looked so... pristine! So... intact. I ended up "borrowing" some newspapers, hoping to shed some light on what's going on, when I finally figured out that I was *20 years in the goddamn past*.

It didn't take much longer before I felt a fist racing towards me, and I made him hit himself only to see it was a goddamn hero, and people were cheering for him to beat me up. loving great, that was. On a closer look, it was one of the flying brick types, so I just buggered off while he recovered from punching himself in the face.

So yeah... law enforcement ain't too happy with me right now, but come on man! Not my fault.

quote:

Optionally, help me seed some NPCs! People your character isn't personally connected to, at least not yet. If you want, give me a brief rundown (like two, three sentences) on any number of the following:
* Another powered teen.
* Someone else!

Crash

The flying brick Webway "fought" with when she first arrived. Fairly popular due to her combination of her looks, her being one of the stronger heroes, and several endorsements, Crash is still a fairly ordinary hero, but doesn't necessarily have the best personality. Having let her successes get to her head, she somewhat resents for getting shown up so easily, regardless of the fact that it wouldn't even have happened if she didn't use what would probably considered excessive force to be turned back against her.

quote:

Labels:
Freak +0
Danger +0
Savior +2
Superior +2
Mundane -1
Future -1

Moves:
I Learned the Solution In Grade School:
When you unleash your powers to extend your senses or overcome an intellectual obstacle, you may roll +Superior instead of +Freak.

The Light of the Future:
Are you from a bright future that must be saved or preserved? Or are you from a dark future that must be destroyed and replaced with something better? If you are a bright harbinger, Future starts at +1. If you are a dark harbinger, Future starts at -1.

Future represents how you see the current future of the world. The higher it is, the better the Future you think the world has. The lower it is, the worse off the future you think the world has. Some of your moves will call for you to roll + Future. In those cases, treat it as any other Label. When you realize the role that someone plays in shaping the future, mark a condition and roll +Future. On a 10+, pick two from the bright list. On a 7-9, pick one from the bright list, and the GM picks one from the dark list. On a miss, the GM picks two from the dark list.

Bright
● You know what they’re planning.
● You’ve got exactly what they need.
● You know what’s coming to harm them.
● You know they have an answer you’re looking for.

Dark
● They know all about you, your mission, and your vulnerabilities.
● They are after someone you care about.
● They have an ally present who is working against your mission (whether or not they know they are).
● They are doing something other than what history has told you to expect of them.

Regardless of outcome, record their name:
__________________________________ ______________________________________

When you record someone's name here, they gain Influence over you if they did not already have it. At any point in the future, if you accept their Influence when they tell you who you are or how the world works (or will work, thanks to them), the GM may adjust your Future accordingly, along with any other adjustments to your Labels.

When you are Insecure, the penalty applies to your Future as well.

Moment of Truth:
This is the moment when you decisively alter the course of your own past, the future of this world. Take one inevitable outcome that’s about to happen right now, and reveal how you’ve already put things in motion to make it change course. You’re in the driver’s seat for the future in this moment, and everything you’ve ever known will be different from here on forward. Of course, this new future you’ve forged might not be the one you’re after, and who knows what might come back from it to put a stop to you...

Team Moves:
When you confess to a teammate the difference between what you thought they would be and what they really are, add a Team to the pool, and ask them whether this pushes your Future towards light or darkness. Shift your Future up or down one as fits their answer, and grant that person Influence over you if they don’t already have it.

When you share a tale of future loss with someone, ask them if they think you have the ability to avert that loss. If they believe you do, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they don’t, mark Guilty and shift one Label up and one Label down (your choice), and shift Future down.

When our team first came together…
We averted a disaster from the future’s history books. What was the disaster? What effect do we hope it had on the timeline?

Relationships:
____________________ turns away from the hero’s path, according to your history books. You have to prevent that from happening.
You’ve always looked up to ____________________, but it’s too awkward to admit it to them now that you’ve met them in real life. Keep it cool, keep it cool.

Influence:
Every member of your team has the power to change the future—your future. Give everyone influence over you.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 13, 2018

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
interest post, Thinking about a Brain - Oh god, no I'm not, the Brain is a garbage playbook and really really bad.

I'll come up with something else.

PROTÉGÉ

A slim young girl sits nervously in the interview chair, her hands fidgeting with the strange glowing device shifting form at the touch of her slender fingers. Her eyes shift shyly from your face to the walls, and the floor, and her feet. Never staying in place for very long. She looks uncomfortable. Out of her element. The last kind of person you'd expect to be applying for this kind of work. She flushes as you stare at her. Attempting to fill the silence with a cute stammering voice.

"H-Hi, I'm ummm... I'm Sammi. B-But you can call me Exo! B-Because... t-that's my name, you see? I mean i-it... I got to p-pick it. A-And I think it's cool and ummm it's because my suit is The Exosuit. It's a special armour m-made out of the Quantum Creator. A-An extra dimensional space which can form objects and designs on the fly. Giving the user a huge deal of flexibility and a-adaptability to face any situation!"

Her bright face falters for a moment.

"O-Oh... the Quantum Creator is a trademarked invention of BigTek Incorporated, any attempt to steal or umm... s-steal or... misapropriate! Steal or misapropriate any of BigTek's copyrights or intellectual properties will result in action being taken against offenders within the full power of BigTek Incorporated, up to and including, Civil Suit, fedaral suit, fines, blacklisting from essential services, or getting beaten up by NightShifter."

She finished the line, looking vaguely pleased with herself. Then flushed self consciously.

"S-S-Sorry, I get shouted at i-if I get it wrong. I-I mean, I know you're not a bad person, b-but I still need to say it. Dad always says that w-we need to protect our copyrights, otherwise people w-will abuse them."

quote:

• How did you first meet your mentor?

"W-Well... he's my dad.

NightShift, b-by day he's Eric Cubrick, BigTek's C-CEO and b-by night their premier sponsored superhero. H-He invented the Quantum Creator ten years ago. A-And he's been u-using it to beat up b-badguys and move up t-the corporate ladder. H-He's really really scary in his armour, b-but he's the kindest n-nicest papa ever! He's always g-giving me gifts, d-dresses and nice clothes, music, jewellery, e-electronics. B-But.... he's b-been training me to r-run the business. A-And I'm not very good a-at it....

quote:

• When and why did you choose to train with them?

"I-I'd been playing with the QC system. I-I mean... yes, it's a tool of i-incredible power, b-b-but I've been playing with it s-since I was a kid! A-And this one time I wanted to show Dad what I'd discovered, because I'd worked out how to make a fully functioning battle suit out of it! Making m-me faster, a-and stronger, and t-tougher. He s-said he was really pleased... b-but he looked sorta a-angry.

T-Two days later the b-board of executives informed m-me that I w-was going to be their new mascot! I-I thought that was r-really cool! B-But then I had to start making public appearances... A-And then Dad told me that he was going t-to train me how to be a s-superhero... I-I didn't want to disappoint Papa, s-so I agreed. B-But I didn't want to f-fight anyone!"

quote:

• Why did they agree to train you?

P-Papa always told me that we should use o-our powers to help people. That w-we shouldn't let people suffer if w-we have the power to m-make a difference. B-But I'm seeing m-my face everywhere, and the company is making a lot o-of money, a-and I think I'm the c-cause of it. I mean... BigTek is a big company. R-Really big, b-but now we've a line of children's toys. O-Of me.... M-Maybe I'm wrong. T-That I'm worrying over nothing. But I can't shake the feeling they want me a-as a cashcow and not as an actual hero

quote:

• Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

"U-Ummm... e-everyone? They're advertising me as 'Exo - Disciple of NightShift!' There's been interviews, a-and posters, and T-TV adds. They're p-planning a cartoon series. I've not got to speak to Papa properly since all this has begun. I-If I'm not on tour, then I'm undergoing physical training. I-I can't even feel below my shoulders, f-from all the running and crunches. T-Then I'm on mission, and I'm not allowed to b-be Sammi. I-I've got to be Exo.

...I-I miss my Daddy...

quote:

• Why do you care about the team?

I-I never got to have friends. Ummm... they were a s-security risk? B-But now I can have friends a-and maybe..."

She leaves the line unsaid. But her face flushed a bright striking scarlet. Impossible not to notice on her pale face.

quote:

• How has the injustice of society affected you, personally?

Unknown to Sammi, her father and the board are using her. Both to generate more interest and income for BigTek while covering their shadier businesses. And her father is trying to use her to discover more about the QC. He's envious of her mastery of it. Desperate to discover her secrets to cement his power power and position. Yet, he is torn, Sammi is still his daughter. But the Company must always come first. BigTek has isolated Sammi from the outside world while growing up, and she is thoroughly unprepared for the harsh nature of the world outside her walls. Or for the riggers and tribulations of dealing with people her own age. It's left her shy, emotional, uncertain, and submissive. A terrible combination for facing a world which her father had a hand in creating.

* Another powered teen.
* Someone else!

quote:

Name Sammi Cubrick, AKA Exo
Playbook The Protege
Look Woman, White, athletic body, casual clothes, protective wear

Ability: You are someone’s protégé. Your powers largely mimic theirs, but each of you is in some way unique. Pick one ability you both share and one ability for each of you that is uniquely yours.

SHARED ABILITY: weapons and gadgets
YOUR OWN ABILITY: power armour
YOUR MENTOR’S ABILITY: intimidation and fear

Labels:
Freak +1
Danger -1
Savior +1
Superior +2
Mundane +0

Moves:

Venting frustration:
When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your mentor denies and clear Angry.

Fireside chat:
When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.

Be mindful of your surroundings:
When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.

Mentor
You have a mentor, someone who’s taught you, trained you, given you aid, or raised you up. Someone who might have confined you a bit too rigidly to a single path. Which Label do they embody, and which do they deny? (circle one each)

EMBODIES Savior
DENIES Superior

Mentor’s Resources
Choose up to three resources that your mentor gave you and the team:
A hidden base, a vehicle, a supercomputer, communicators, surveillance equipment, false identities, badges of authority, a chem lab, a med lab, a teleportal, a weapon of last resort, security systems, simple robots

Moment of Truth:

The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose…

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or effective teammate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How’d we keep in contact?

Relationships:

You and ____________________ teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.
Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.

Influence:

Choose your demeanor: playful or business.
If you choose playful, give Influence to two teammates.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 14, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Interest post as well.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

A flashlight illuminates a blue-tinted face in an otherwise dark room.

"So you want to hear the story of Clatterclaw? Well, I can oblige, but you all better hold onto your butts since its going to be a wild ride. See, it all started with Rachel Allison. Just your average schoolgirl of the burbs, minding her own thing, returning home from tennis practice when suddenly she was kidnapped by a criminal most foul and carted off into a van-"

The lights flickered on, causing Clatterclaw to blink a bit and squint.

"Fine I'll do it normally sheesh. Can't let a girl have any fun can you?"

Clatterclaw, the Bull

quote:

Who changed you?

"Woah, starting with the hard hitters right away huh? No 'Wow Clatters what's the secret of your fabulous fingernails' or 'Hey Clatters, how do you keep your skin so soft and springy even though you're technically a corpse'? Haha, for real though, I suppose that's a fairly obvious question to ask, no need to dance around it or mince words. The Lazarus Initiative is to blame. Well, at least their sort of illegitimate continuation. See, during the whole Nemesis Crisis debacle, well if you can even call a huge supervillain orchestrated terror campaign like that a 'debacle' ahaha..."

"...Yeah you probably can't. That was pretty insensitive of me, sorry. But uhh, yeah, anyways, The Lazarus Initiative was created by the state as an attempt to forge a superpowered edge for themselves to fight all this rampant vigilantism, or at least to bolster the ranks. One of the many projects to create superhumans artificially, in fact. See, a bunch of necromancers figured out, that you can actually fill a human body with a fairly large amount of magical energy. Like, a ridiculous amount. There was just one problem on their way, just a teeeeeensy one: The soul was on the way, taking all that space they could otherwise stuff to the brim with arcana."

"Now of course, they were real smart cookies the lot of them, so they figured out how to make even that work for their advantage. See, they could remove the souls of their subjects, leaving only a miniscule arcane string connecting it to the body, and stash it into a container of some sort. Mostly eerie glowing crystals. Not that that was in any way necessary, they just like keeping up appearances I think, haha! But yes, with the souls in their possessions, they had a convenient leash on their creations. You don't want to mess with wizards who have your soul."

"Yeah, the whole thing was shady as hell, from the outset. But at least during the time, it could all be sort of justified via a sort of 'the end justifies the means' style of thinking, especially since supervillains were viewed as such a huge existential threat during Nemesis. So you know, Lazarus actually had a lot of public approval back then, especially since a lot of the more objectionable stuff was Top Secret. Like, obviously, right? It was the part where big parts of the Initiative straight up refused to disband after things cooled down, the researchers slipping away to continue their work alone and only sort of semi-legally or you know, completely and absolutely illegally, where things get straight up evil."

quote:

How did you escape from them?

"Now, maybe you've managed to brilliantly deduce from both my age and also my not at all pointlessly meandering description of events (haha, sorry about that, I sometimes get a bit carried away), that I was part of one of these 'independent' operations. I'm not going to detail too much about what took place there. Just rest assured, that all of the things I detailed before about The Lazarus Initiative were things that happened with state oversight. And these post-disbanding operations were even worse than that. It wasn't a very good time is what I'm saying, and I'd rather not dwell."

"As for my escape? Well, before you clap and cheer me on for being a total badass who beat all the baddies -and by the way, thanks for the flattery haha-, hear me out first. See, Rachel was never a particularly brave girl. Or a tough one either. In most ways she was in fact perfectly average, except apparently in being kidnapped where she proved a natural ahaha!"

"...So maybe Rachel was scared, and maybe she didn't put up much of a fight at all. Maybe she even played along with her captors more easily than the others, and was given special privileges due to her pliability. Maybe she only escaped because the captors got too liberal with the rights she was given, and she managed to opportunistically nab her little soulgem and leg it, possibly crying the whole way she was running to safety? Seriously though I can't remember that last part, the people who held me didn't put all that much effort into ensuring my lacrimal glands worked properly what with my body being largely sustained by the necromantic magics inside me."

"But yeah, I'd rather you not judge me. I only got these sweet as hell adamantite claws, and my combat training later on. Taken my circumstances, I doubt you would have done much better."

quote:

Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

"Oh, that would be Ivan! Or Uncle Ivan as I sometimes call him (no relation). He's one of the people who worked on the Lazarus Initiative back during the Nemesis Crisis when it wasn't a corrupt edifice of evil cartoon villainy, and merely a brutally calculating and morally grey state program not unwilling to sacrifice a couple innocents for the continued survival of the country. You know, a cheery lot, haha! But yeah, at least Ivan was one of those involved who stopped the work when told to stop, and thus one of the good ones."

Here's Ivan!

"You might rightly think I'd be leery around him, and at first I was. But he's turned out to be very helpful. He tinkers with my upkeep magics when I ask, and at this point I'm pretty close to normal. Sure, my skin's a weird pallor of blue and sure, I'm unbearably stiff at morning, and sure maybe even though my heart technically beats it only does it two or three times per minute. But even in spite of all that, I'm willing to bet that I'm the purtiest technically dead person you know. And if you think I'm bad now, you should've seen me when I escaped. My hair was absolutely terrible, haaaAAH!"

"Anyway, Ivan's surprisingly okay."

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?

"A couple of reasons. First, I'd rather be able to fight back if those Lazarus goons dare and try to nab me in the future. I want to help those that might be in similar situations too, since speaking from experience it's not a very nice situation to be in."

"But yeah, there's also the fact that I'm a hyper-powerful ghoul-girl where else would I go than a superheroic getup? Like c'mon."

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

"Because they are... good people? The reason you usually care for others, sheesh. But yeah, I suppose it's fair to say there's a bit more to it in my case. See, I know this comes as a huge surprise, but most people don't want to hang out with a corpse-girl who's also a magically created supersoldier. Not that they recoil in terror or anything, nah I have it way better than some others here when it comes to the looks department. It's more that they... don't really know how to deal with that. They skirt around it and things get awkward, so its hard for me to feel like I belong with them."

"But heroes and other assorted powereds? Well, they are all some manner of freak almost by definition, so its way easier for us to get along without it getting weird! Well at least in theory haha!"

quote:

"Man like, I seriously hope you didn't just miss my whole spiel on being a victim of the illegitimate offshoot of one of the State's less than wholesome projects to stay relevant? Like, I rehearsed that stuff you know, haha! I mean, if they'd been less worried about covering up the less savory aspects of what they did and actually had the balls to try and prosecute these independent rogue actors, then none of this would have happened. But of course they wouldn't do that now would they? Way bigger supervillains around nowadays, and risking such a huge scandal just because of a handful of kidnappings was unthinkable, yeah?"

"Ugh..."

"Man, just thinking about this makes me so mad. Like, I don't mean that you were wrong to ask but, just... ugh. Just ugh, you know?"

quote:

* Another powered teen.
* Someone else!

The Collector

The Collector is what happens when you take mania, excessive funds and a leisurely lifestyle, as well as an affinity for magic and magic items and cram them all into a person. The Collector has a hobby of trying to steal unusual, rare or just simply powerful items that he then tends to stash in his mansion. Main powers include sorcery, eccentric tools, as well as his signature Magic item called the Planar Pocketwatch, that allows him to subtly manipulate the dimensions of space and time around him. Prefers subtlety to brute force.

quote:

Hero Name: Clatterclaw
Mask: Bull
Looks: Woman, ...Blue?, Inhuman hands (rude!), Casual clothing, Over the top costume

Abilities:

superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, uniquely skilled at fighting.

Labels

Freak: +1
Danger: +3
Savior: -1
Superior: +1
Mundane: -1

The Bull’s Heart

You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give
the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action
that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Defender:

When you leap to defend your love or
rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior
to defend them.

Moves:

Physics? What physics?: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.

There when it matters: When you defend someone, on a hit you can hold 1 instead of choosing one from the list. Spend your hold when they are in danger later to arrive on the scene ready to help.

Moment of Truth

This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break
whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you?
Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who
changed you know exactly where to find you...

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival
immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and
mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend
that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

When our team first came together...

We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Relationships

_______________ is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
_______________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence

You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 14, 2018

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Hero Name: Almeisan ("The Shining One")
Looks: Man, Middle Eastern, Strange Eyes, Alien Flesh, No Costume
Abilities: Transmuting Flesh, Inhuman Might

Who were you before?

Tariq Nasran, ordinary high school student. Okay, maybe a little better than normal in most cases: A- student, a couple of friends, ran an astronomy club. Still relatively normal right? I lived with my parents and two brothers in a relatively comfortable part of Halcyon City. You have to believe me, I never thought anything like this was going to happen to me!

When did you change? What caused it?

Okay so this is the part where it would have been really cool if I got my powers from a crashed meteor or something, but nope. Government mandated power testing and power trigger attempts in schools when you hit 16. After all, if you're a hero it's supposed to be better to find out early. Helps ensure that you get into a good team program and don't secretly wander off to build doomsday weapons. So it pretty much just happened and guess who got to celebrate his 16th birthday by making a teacher freak out about turning into a humanoid shaped mass of space and stars?

Who, outside the team, is helping you to understand your new body?

Head of the astronomy club, remember? A good chunk of the club freaked out and moved on to greener pastures, but there's still 2-3 of my friends (Sarah, Anatol, Daniel) that think what happened is either super cool or at least want to try and figure out how closely I mimic the actual universe.

Why don't you try to hide yourself away?

So the specifics of how my powers work and don't incinerate half of Halcyon City are kind of beyond me, but i'm pretty sure I show up really strongly on most power detectors from all the energy i'm pumping out. Anybody who really wants to find me and knows how to look can probably find me, and I don't have the kind of money to spring on the kind of precautionary measures it would take to build a panic bunker to stop that from happening. A summer job ain't going to cut it.

At the moment? An alibi. It's easier to avoid having to make big decisions on your future when you can say that you're working with a small team to gain some experience before formally dealing with this superpower thing. But I also have a good feeling about this group - everybody here seems to be focused on things that really matter rather than just running around and showing off.

How has the injustice of society affected you personally?

So this kinda might be seen as whining, especially since I got a pretty good set of powers. I'm not a living sludge man or something that would make everyone recoil in horror. But something's different now - the people from the astronomy club who still hang with me seem to be looking at me increasingly as a science experiment rather than a human being. My family is halfway stuck between being in awe of me and terrified that someone's going to come in and put a lot of pressure on them to have me go corporate or team. Some of this was always going to be there as a result of the powers making me different from the rest of humanity, but I can't help feel like a society that put a greater emphasis on equality would have fewer of these problems. People would care more about who we are rather than what we are.

quote:

* Another powered teen.
* Someone else!

DDOS (He enunciates every letter, but most capes just call him "Dos") is a technomancer who takes himself way too seriously given how much he tends to screw up and make an idiot of himself every time he tries to rob banks or similar high profile activities. DDOS is a surprisingly competent hacker and has trawled enough data from pretty much everywhere such that he could be a pretty good information broker. Dude's just too much of a thrill junkie, absent the common sense to make his powers work in that context.

quote:

The Transformed

Labels:

Freak +3
Danger +1
Savior +0
Superior -1
Mundane +0

Moves:

Unstoppable: When you smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something, roll + Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition, leave something behind, or take something with you. On a miss, you smash through, but leave devastation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM’s choice.

Not human enough: When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

I am not my body: When you take a powerful physical blow, you may roll as if you had two fewer conditions marked. If you do, on a 10+ you must choose to lose control of yourself in a terrible way.

Moment of Truth:

It’s so easy to forget that you’re not your body, and you’re not the voice in your head—you’re both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you…

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like
a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you’re losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now
hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships:

___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence:

You try not to care what other people think, even if you can’t shut everyone out. Give Influence to
one teammate.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 13, 2018

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I might app something for this, maybe a Beacon.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Chameleon the Janus

quote:

• When did you first put on the mask? Why?

Well let's just say puberty was a really weird time for me and leave it at that shall we? Fine if you insist I'll explain. See everyone tells you what to do about the changes your body will be experiencing, how you grow hair where you didn't have hair before, how your breasts grow and how your hormones will change. What no one tells you about is what to do if say you're leaning against a window and your hand turns to glass or if you sit on a wall and your legs turn to brick. Or what to do if you leap up in fright and find yourself melting into the ceiling. Yeah, I don't think Mom's birds and the bees speech was much use with that. Still I got the hang of it more or less even if I spent a lot of time wearing gloves and really unflattering clothing that covered my skin.

As for why I put the mask on? well I probably shouldn't tell you this... but I live in Kingston Heights. Yeah, it's not the nicest neighbourhood. Since the factories closed down and the heroes stopped patrolling things have gone really downhill. That's why i put the mask on, I can make a difference there. Kingston Heights is suffering and everyone else is too scared to try and do something about it. Truth be told I I don't blame them, but Kingston is my home and if I don't stand up and fight for it who will?

quote:

• Why do you keep a secret identity?

Are you kidding me? Don't you remember what happened to the last guy who decided to tried to clean up Kingston Heights. It was a few years ago now but given the news coverage I thought you'd remember. I certainly do. They called him the Chevalier, the guy who had a magic sword that made him strong and able to heal through practically anything. He announced publicly that he was going to single-handedly clean up Kingston Heights. Made a big song and dance about it. To be fair he did do some good. Crime was down, criminals were off the streets. Well then the Phoenix Gang struck back. They lured him out to take down a drug lab. But it was a trick, while he was gone they attacked his home. His wife, his family. The rumour mill says they never found all the body parts. They say they made the invincible man bleed. I'm not having that happen to my parents, or my boyfriend or my best friend. If I have to wear a hood to protect them then I'll wear a hood. I just don't like having to lie to them about it that's all.

quote:

• Who, outside of the team, knows about your dual identity?

Emma Robinson, I wouldn't have told her if I had a choice, But one day when we were walking home from school a junkie tried to jump us. I didn't think I just reacted. I shoved her behind me and reached out for the nearest wall and changed., turns out a knife doesn't do you much good if you're trying to stab someone made of brick. Needless to say it wasn't much of a fight. Sure as hell shocked Emma. But we've been best friends since kindergarten so she understood when I explained why I kept it secret from her. It's her who I have to thank for my costume and my name. She's an aspiring fashion designer and she's really good at it in my totally non-biased opinion. She keeps my suit repaired and everything. I don't know what I'd do without her.

quote:

• Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?

You're not going to believe this, but my biggest critic is my boyfriend. Jack Wilson. He's funny and witty and charming. Everyone likes Jack, and I can't believe he agreed to date me of all people. You know the weird girl who doesn't like to touch anyone. I love him, and I think he loves me. I don't want to be with anyone else. Unfortunately there's a fly in the ointment. See Jack wants to be a journalist. So he's been writing a blog about Kingston's newest hero. To say he's not my biggest fan would be an understatement. He's asking what Chameleon has to hide behind that hood, why she won't come out and make a statement, what does she have to hide what does she think she's doing that sort of thing.

Honestly I don't know what he'd do if he found out that it was me under that hood. I'm scared he'd dump me or he'd hate me or want to have nothing to do with me. And then there's the strain of keeping a double life from him, so far he doesn't seem to have figured out where I keep disappearing off to or what I've actually been spending my time doing when I'm not with him. But there's been a few close calls if it wasn't for Emma covering for me I'd be in deep trouble with him. I don't know how much longer I can keep this up but I need to try for his safety and mine.

quote:

Because we're actually making a difference in this town. We're not like the "normal" heroes who're doing well out the status quo, we're bringing hope to the hopeless justice to the ignored and help and comfort to the desperate. Or at least we're making the effort. That has to count for something anyway.

quote:

Did you miss the part where I live in a crime-infested slum district? Or the part where most of the heroes couldn't give a drat about us? Sure they can spare a dozen heroes to look after the downtown financial district and you can't move in the suburbs for heroes chasing purse snatchers but the big teams can't spare one lousy person to help my neighbourhood. No they're happy to let us rot. Just because we don''t have money or political connections any more. And the people who are supposed to be holding them to account don't seem to care that they're letting half the city rot. Who was the last journalist you saw reporting on what's going on in the heights? Exactly.

quote:

Speaking of journalists let's talk about the worst of the lot. Karen Clarkson used to be one of the biggest heroes around as Songbird. She was a member of some of the biggest and most influential teams, and then she abandoned it all. Not because she lost her powers, not because she was injured in the line of duty. But because the Halycon Broadcasting Company offered her a shitload of money to front their new superhero discussion panel show. Yeah, she gave up helping people so she could make more money. She's scum basically and I'm embarrassed I used to have her poster on my bedroom wall.

quote:

Name: Chameleon
Look: Woman, White, Fashionable Clothing, Concealing costume, Mask,
Abilities: Substance Mimicry, impossible mobility

Labels:
Freak -1
Danger +0
Savior +0
Superior +1
Mundane +3

Moves:

The Mask:
You wear a mask and hide your real
identity. Choose what Label you try to embody
while wearing your mask:

Superior

Once per session, you can affirm either your
heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane
with your mask’s Label.
When you reveal your secret identity to
someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential.

Mild-mannered: When you try to use your
civilian identity to deceive, trick, or slip past
someone, roll + Mundane. On a hit they buy your
facade. On a 7-9, choose one:
- you’re still under observation
- you leave something incriminating behind
- you’re forced to make a fool of yourself to
sell it
On a miss, one of your civilian obligations
rears its ugly head.

I’ll save you!: You’re willing to pay high costs
to keep your loved ones safe. Reveal your secret
identity to someone watching or mark a condition
to defend a loved one as if you rolled a 12+.

Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of three obligations.

Secret Identity

Job: Barista.
School: School Work,
Social: Significant other

When time passes, roll + your Mundane to see how you’re managing your obligations. On a
hit, things are going pretty well—you have an opportunity or advantage thanks to one of your
obligations. On a 7-9, you’ve lapsed on one obligation, your choice. On a miss, you haven’t given
your normal life anywhere near the attention it deserves; the GM chooses two obligations that are
going to bite you in the butt

Moment of Truth:

The mask is a lie, and some piece of you has always known that. Doesn’t matter if others can see
it. You’re the one that can do the impossible. Mask off. Costume on. And you’re going to save the
drat day. Of course, you better hope nobody nasty is watching…

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person
wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If
the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you
really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up and your mask’s Label down.

We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they
important?

Relationships:
_____________________ knew you from your civilian life first.
You refused to tell ___________________ your secret identity when they asked.

Influence:
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of
them Influence over you.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 16, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Pandora, the Nova

The scene opens with Pandora sitting in her room. It's a fairly minimalist decoration job, outside the glow-in-the-dark constellations up on the ceiling and a poster that's awkwardly hiding some scorch marks on the wall across from her desk. Pandora has her head down on her desk, quietly muttering to herself.

"Okay, okay, I can do this. I don't usually explode when people talk to me, even if they do want to know about..." Pandora sucks in a deep breath, then whispers, "The incident."

The sudden noise of the interviewer's knock against her door draws her attention with a snap, a gentle aurora starting to cover the upper reaches of the room. Pandora hesitantly gets to her feet, walking over and opening the door, and says, "You're here to hear my story, huh? Well, sure, I can tell you what happened." Despite her sudden apparent calm, the aurora behind her fluctuates in intensity, revealing her anxiety. "Grab a seat anywhere you like."

quote:

• When did you first use your powers?

Pandora flops down onto her bed, her hair splaying out around her. It gently whorls and shifts, seeming to provide a window into the depths of space. She says, "Well, it all started when I was camping with my dad up near Breakneck Point. We used to go stargazing all the time, out away from the lights of the city. He even had a telescope that we'd break down and pack up with us." She pauses, enough to be noticeable, then sighs. "I don't know why that time was so different."

A brilliant pinprick of light and heat, a miniature star, blazes into existence above her outstretched hand.

"I was normal. Like, measurably, in every sense, totally normal. I didn't have latent powers, I wasn't some sort of ancient scion, nothing. I remember being really bummed about it when I heard the news. Everyone wanted to be a hero, I wasn't any different. I mean, sure, you get people who can just change the channel or whatever if they crane their neck right, but they've at least got something special." She laughs, self-deprecatingly. "I guess you never really figure you're going to turn into a walking war crime."

"So we were out at the Point, like I said. It was a beautiful night, like nothing I'd ever seen before, and we were tracking this bizarre blue light through the sky. Not totally unusual, given all the heroes and whatnot running around, but this wasn't some dude in tights. This was straight up weird. A perfect, blue... eye, maybe, is how I'd describe it. I remember looking at it, then it looked back, and then..."

The star she's holding explodes in a flash of light, leaving the room dark.

"It happened."

quote:

• Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?

"When I woke up, I still didn't even know what was going on. I still don't know much." She sits in silence, long enough for the lights to flicker back on, before continuing. "The campsite was a wreck. The tent was blown clear into some of the nearby trees, the telescope was shattered and... well, Dad was in a bad way. His face was covered in blood, but he was breathing, so... I called for rescue. They had us picked up, cleaned up, and to the hospital in like fifteen minutes. I figured that they were going to just get him patched up, but apparently I was setting off all sorts of crazy sensors. I overheard something about a Class VII Emergence Event before they bundled me off for my own battery of tests."

"I'm not going to say that I'm worse off than my dad, not at all, but some days I can't help but feel it. Sure, he's mostly blind now. I think that his work is helping pay for some crazy super-tech solution, but it's never going to be the same. But me? I'm basically, if I'm understanding things right, capable of feats that literally break physics in half and then setting the remaining bits on fire. Like, um, I kind of broke gravity for a bit last week. Just in my house, just a little bit. I didn't even mean to! It just... happened. "

quote:

• Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?

"Hah, control. That's a good one. I mean, yeah, there are some mandatory counseling and control exercises I go to now. There's honestly not a lot of expertise for this cosmic poo poo. The closest they've got is this lady, Doctor On Shin-Hye, who did her doctorate work on the possibility of extrastellar life, potential intrusions, and how that would affect our current heroing paradigm. Or something like that, I've never actually read the thing. Anyways, she's pretty cool. I'm never really sure if she likes our sessions or if she just likes collecting all the crazy data I output by, y'know, existing. Either way, it's nice to have someone who likes the new me. I sure don't."

quote:

• Why do you continue to use your powers?

"Well, the hope and dream is that I figure out how to be a normal girl again who can live life without accidentally sending the toaster through some sort of spatial wormhole into the sun when I'm late for an appointment and breakfast is taking too long." She shakes her head. "I liked that toaster, too."

"And... well, maybe this is stupid, but I kind of feel like I have to. Like if Kid Quiver can go around and bust up the fishman smuggling ring on the docks with nothing more than some poo poo he found in his garage, maybe I owe it to the world to do some crimefighting with, y'know, unlimited cosmic power. Plus that's my best shot of kicking the system in the balls and getting my life back. If I can make a big scene, save the world or something, they've gotta admit that I'm not a danger to everyone."

quote:

"First off: by and large, much less fragile than my old friends. This is very good. Second, it's nice to kind of have some shoulders to lean on when it gets too much to keep bottled up. They get it, more or less, and that means a lot. And, uh, hey. If I have to smash the state, I wouldn't pick a different crew."

quote:

"Did you know that 'metahumans providing complex issues regarding public safety' are regulated and basically swept under the rug? I sure didn't! It was really nice of them to give me a bunch of stuff to sign when I was all drugged up from their tests that, essentially, made me a ward of the state, signed control of my life over to them 'until such time as safety concerns abate' and generally wrecked any hope I have of living normally. It's like being on one of those lovely government lists, like the no-fly one, that doesn't seem like a thing until, surprise! You can't, legally speaking, go to a concert. Or a movie theater."

"It's straight hosed up, is what it is."

quote:

"Well, let's see, you've got the chief of Halcyon PD, Mr. Kennington. He's kind of... I don't know, I've never met the guy, but look at him! He's probably in bed with the superpowered mafia or from some alternate Texas dimension or something."

quote:

"Dragon Spiral is probably the closest thing I can think of to a down-to-earth hero. I mean, they're still a hero, but most of the time they're busting heads and cleaning up the streets. Not too much merch, as you might expect, but... Well, let's just say I'd definitely get a signature if I ever have the chance."

quote:

"Well, uh, I got my lunch money stolen by Backstreet Brawler once. She's... she's... uh. She's a lot. Not much of an actual threat, y'know, but she thinks she's one of the biggest threats Halcyon's ever faced. She told me. At length. Probably doesn't remember it, though, I don't think she's... all there."

quote:

"Well, not like TV news or anything, but Lucine Meadowbrook is a pretty well-known blogger. She made waves with that big expose about how there was this deal between Halcyon PD and some of the bigger villain crews, but I guess that's already fading from public memory. These cover-ups are insane."

quote:

* Another powered teen.

"She calls herself Panopticon. She's kind of techy, but mostly in the sense that she has a network of drones all over. I've never met her, but talk is that if you need to find someone or something... well, you can't really go wrong with bribing her with some energy drinks."

quote:

Hero Name: Pandora
Look: Woman, Vaguely Western, Normal Skin, Fashionable Clothing, No Costume

Ability: Cosmic Energies

Labels:
Danger +1
Freak +2
Savior +0
Superior +1
Mundane -1

Burn: When you charge up your powers, roll + conditions you currently have marked. On a hit, hold 3 burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, hold 2 burn and mark three conditions. Spend your burn on your flares. You lose all burn at the end of the scene.

Flares:
❑ Constructs: Spend 1 burn to create any object with your powers, up to the size of a person. Spend an additional burn to animate it independently of yourself. The construct dissolves at the end of the scene.
❑ Moat: Spend 1 burn to create a barrier that will hold back threats as long as you keep your attention on it. The GM may call for you to spend another burn if the barrier is threatened by particularly powerful enemies.
❑ Move: Spend 1 burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way. Spend a second burn to move to any place you’ve previously been.
❑ Snatch: Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.

Moment of Truth:
Your mind’s eye opens, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if there is any fear in their eyes when they look at you. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition.

We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

Relationships:
You hang out all the time with __________________ to blow off steam.
You once hurt ________________ when you lost control of your powers.

Influence:
Choose your demeanor: happy facade or locked down. If you choose locked down, give Influence to one teammate.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 21, 2018

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Delinquent
Hero Name:
iyEMPiy
Looks: Ambiguous, Indigenous, Untrusting Eyes, Casual Clothing, Showy Costume
Abilities: Gadgetry and Hacking, Power Negation

* How did you get your powers? Evil scientist foster parents stole me so they could experiment on me, trying to develop a way to suppress mutant powers specifically by ethnicity, sex, and orientation so "no single demographic would become overrepresented" in the superpowers department. Before I "woke up," I worked myself to the bone in academics and extracurriculars to please them and spite their biological children. Now I do it to please myself and spite them, their kids and everything Drs. Katie and Bradley and "clan Armitage" stand for.

The power I chose, engineering and computers, I chose because it seemed like they didn't care about my identity, as long as I could get access I could actually have the same power as anyone else with access for once. Privileges–controlling or losing control of that access–is everything. The power I didn't choose was negation. Whatever I would have manifested I didn't on account of the suppression therapy, but thanks to my own personal experimentation I can suppress all kinds of other powers. Who knows, but maybe my body always intended for that to be my power and the experiments didn't even do anything! That's what I choose to believe.

* What do you do for fun? I'm addicted to soft drugs and video games, they were the form of reward I got growing up that I can't shake, but I also feel indebted to them for helping me break out and wake up. The grindiness of videogames prepared me to build up enough "rep" with my captors, doing the same tasks with a smile on my face, for years. The drugs weakened their treatments and allowed me to lucidly push the boundaries they put on me: I could tune out the suggestions they gave me when I was high enough–so I had to time those edibles perfectly–and I could dig tunnels in the dark without telling on myself under hypnosis later as long as I got blackout drunk and delinquents do. "I was just trying to fit in!" I'd say, haha... They still think I'm under their control, but every time I party it up, or nolife binge an entertaining waste of time? I remind myself I'm not.

* Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do? Everyone in general who I keep unaware of my vices, the precious few I keep unaware of my virtues specifically. I look like a model minority all dressed nice and "articulate," after all. That's my secret identity, for them. Then there's the kids I party with in the park, who don't know about any of those science awards and trophies and poo poo, or my real name, who think I'm just a dropout. They, I don't know, treat me like a human being instead of an ornament they bought, or "leased for this season."

* Why do you try to be a hero? Not ashamed to say revenge. Everything I've gone through has been to punish the people who stole me to further their own project. I'll get them, and everyone they work with, and if I ever finish the list the world will be a better place where no one else will have to be like me.

* Why do you care about the team? Funny, it's because I've been nice to them that I care about them. They just... need a lot of help, and I give it to them in my own way, and then those assholes show up in my dreams and stuff. Pretty frustrating, but like, I don't want to show them how cruel I can really be so I gotta live the lie I guess. Maybe I can fake it til I make it, just keep being nice to them until caring about them feels real. Or maybe it'll turn out they were just using me like everyone else and my gut was right.

* How has the injustice of society affected you, personally? I was never held by my mom or dad or people. The state wanted an indigenous kid with mutant genes and just took me, legally, then did everything they could to make sure there would be at least one fewer of "them" with mutant powers. Then once they were sure of that, they made sure to try to keep my quiet by giving me a taste of privilege, never letting me forget I never really belonged and could be excommunicated for stepping out of line just once, even as they did so repeatedly, obviously. I don't really trust people to look out for me or to know what I'm going through, especially when they claim they can. And I'm pent up. I see poo poo happen all the time that I can't do anything about without losing what I've built. It eats at me, and it's all I can do not to take it out on people based on my ability to get away with it rather than justness. But then I'd be just like them. I'm nothing like them, and I can be obvious about it with my helmet on...

* A mundane authority figure. Yutani Ami runs the research wing of the company that shares her surname because she's the daughter of the 60-year old CEO. She runs internships for non-super minorities and has a couple adopted kids. Could be running the same scam they ran on me, I think.

* A small-time villain and/or their crew. The Monkey Business, a group of supers who can mind control animals and use them to destroy pet shops and stores that sell animal products or products tested on animals. They broke up a barbecue the other day. They like poisoning or fouling animal products, too. I bet they work at the zoo, otherwise they'd have hit it by now, right?

* Someone from the media. There's this shapeshifting journalist interviewer writer guy who people imagine looks trustworthy, ie like them, using psychic projection or pheromones or something like the asari bartender in Mass Effect 2. Check out a TV news studio one day and see if they aren't all shapeshifters or aliens or whatnot...

* Another powered teen.

* Someone else!

quote:

Labels:

Freak +1
Danger +0
Savior -1
Superior +2
Mundane +1

Moves
I don’t care what you think!: Whenever you reject others’ Influence, add +2 to your roll.

Team? What team?: When you use Team selfishly, clear a condition or mark potential. The first time in a session that you use Team to help a teammate, take +1 forward.

Criminal mind: When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:
- what here is useful or valuable to me?
- how could I best infuriate or provoke
____________?
- what’s the best way in/way past?

Moment of Truth
This is when you show them what you really are. Whether you’re the hero underneath the rebel facade...or the one who can make the hard choices heroes can’t make. You do whatever it takes to show that truth, whether it’s saving the day from a terrible villain or stopping a bad guy once and for all. Of course, once you’ve shown what you really are, there’s no going back to playing the clown...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were
they?

Relationships
You keep trying to impress _________________ with your antics.
You and ________________ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I've got an idea for a Star. I'll update this post with my application when I get the chance.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

One of the things with superheros is that they attract what the experts call Time Bullshit (enemies coming from the future, lost timelines getting merged with prime reality, that sort of thing), and Halycon City is crazy full of superheros. There are so many temporally displaced persons that there is a branch of the government to help them integrate, because unless you're a professional time traveller usually you don't get to go home again. That's my mom's story - she was from a Camelot (there have been a bunch, across epochs and dimensions) and a sorceress froze her in a crystal and she woke up in the future. Might even have been her future, but it's more likely a dimension poo poo caught her and the heavy probability flux in Halycon pulled her here. Anyway, Mom was always a go-getter (one of the traits that comes with being King Arthur's sister) and instead of going into future shock and watching TV all day she founded the first Round Table in the city - she was Paladin, obviously. Uh, should I start over? No? OK.

Anyway, the Round Table. Not an original name, but it's classic for a reason. It gave all the timelost knights and nobles a place to be with people who had a unique understanding of what they'd been through, in a setting where there was no argument about rank or who came from the 'real' Camelot. Worked hard with the authorities to channel all that chivalric fervor to useful ends, established rules for questing, hosted programs for sensitivity training and teaching modern technology to people from a time when steel was basically magic. A good thing, really. I couldn't point to when it turned into an old boy's club more interested in shutting the world out and swapping old stories, but it must have been after Mom retired to have me. She doesn't like to speak ill of them, but I can feel her disappointment every time some old fool gets dragged out to say something reactionary for the media, or when there's no knight present at a major crisis. This is just for internal use, right? Not going public?

And then there's me. Mom hasn't told me who my father is, or if there is one (time bullshit, see?) but I guess he's not around or they'd be married. She's old fashioned that way, among others. Our...powers, I guess you'd call them, come from different places but mostly they're gifts from magic people or fairies. They give us these gifts when they think we're old enough or ready or whatever, but I can't tell what the exact conditions are and Mom says it's 'supposed to be a mystery' so I don't know if or when I'll get the full set. I'm strong as all get out, I can outrun a car, and I've got an Excalibur and a Pridwen to fight with. Arguments over which is the 'true' Excalibur get more complicated each time a new knight shows up, but I can tell you that mine cuts steel, and that's good enough for me. Other than being indestructible I don't know if my shield does anything weird - it's not real aerodynamic, I tested that.

I don't think that being a hero is a choice I can make. I'm born to it, and doing less than my best would be a sin.

quote:

Name Gwen Pendragon, AKA Errant
Playbook The Legacy
Look Woman, White, comfortable clothes, traditional costume, symbol insignia

Ability: You have powers that match your general line. Choose one suite of powers, but pick two powers that you don’t have from your suite:

divine armor, magic weaponry, mythic might, legendary speed, god-like beauty

Labels:
Danger -1
Freak 0
Savior +2
Superior +0
Mundane +1

Moves:
Fight the good fight:
When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Never give up, never surrender:
When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you
stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
  • you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
  • you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
  • you keep your attacker’s attention

On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Moment of Truth:

This is the moment when you prove how much the mantle belongs to you. You seize control of all your powers, and you defeat even impossible odds to prove you are worthy of the name you carry. You accomplish feats even your predecessors couldn’t do. Of course, after you prove something like that, you can expect still more responsibilities to be placed on your shoulders...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up and any other Label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships:

You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with ______________.
You trust ______________ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence:

You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

Legacy
Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City.
Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):
Eider the Green is still active and prominent in the city.

Gwyar Pendragon, AKA Paladin is retired and quite judgmental.

Kilgarrah is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.

Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
  • have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
  • have you maintained the image of your legacy?
  • have you made the other members of your legacy proud?

On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to
meddle with your life.

quote:

When did you officially become a part of your legacy?

There's a Solstice festival where new arrivals are inducted once they prove their credentials. After I met the Lady...you know, Lady of the Lake? Keeper of the Grail? Distributes swords to worthy knights? Don't let my Mom hear you call her a watery tart, she'd flip her lid. Anyway, she gave me a sword and a prophecy and it was all very mystical and significant, and afterwards the Round Table couldn't induct me fast enough. So I guess technically that makes me Sir Gwendolyn, but I try not to make a big deal out of it.

quote:

What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?

Honestly? Serving the public and each other. There's a couple of 'save the world' incidents but the world always just needs saving again. Having kind, honest warriors committed to the common good is the highest ideal of Camelot, and I wish more knights would remember that. Operating a soup kitchen has more moral value than beating up bank robbers. That money is insured, guys.

quote:

How does the public perceive your legacy?

Old fashioned, quaint and inconvenient but comforting. Like a heavily armed church group that tries to do the right thing but gets caught up chasing it's own tail. Multiverse shenanigans and time travel give most people a headache, so they'd like to write us off as just another cape faction with a commitment to cosplay.

quote:

How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?

Hi yes I'm related to an archetypal mythic hero, it kinda informs who I am in a big way? I can't just ignore injustice and tyranny any more than I can stop breathing.

quote:

They're MY round table. Not tied in to a cycle of myth, not stuck in the past. New heroes for a new age. We can do what the old Table is failing to do, and actually make things right instead of tilting at windmills.

quote:

I'm pretty goddamn privileged, really. The main thing that causes me problems is being the daughter of a first gen immigrant who never bothered to get a lot of the paperwork done, leaving me in trouble when it came to things like applying for college or getting a real job. I'm stuck in bureaucratic limbo until my solicitor can sort it out, and Mom is no help at all: "why do you want to go to school again, you're a Champion of Justice! learn sword forms, not sociology!" I can kick enough rear end already, I need other skills.

quote:

A mundane authority figure
Agent Sophie Stahl, Temporally Displaced Persons Department - a harassed and overworked bureaucrat keeping track of time travelers. Rumored to be the sole member of the department owing to a stable time loop, but there's no proof.

quote:

A famous, big-shot Hero.
Tenebrae - a vigilante who somehow enjoys considerable public and media support despite their only 'power' being a large calibre rifle fired from a rooftop. Makes 'anti-cape' statements despite clearly wearing a cape.

quote:

A small-time villain and/or their crew.
The Hoods - performative wokeness in tights and masks. Small time thugs who mix archery skills, violent crime and social justice language into a wholes undeserved reputation as revolutionaries.

quote:

Someone from the media.
Caleb Watkins, Channel X news! - got kicked off regular TV for being too 'politically incorrect', currently monetizes social media accounts where he complains about time immigrants, superheroes, and teenagers. Major coke habit.

quote:

Another powered teen.
Tes-lass, the Current Warrior - not from the past. Wishes she was. Controls lightning, wears purely decorative steampunk fashion, talks in what she imagines people from the 20s talked like.

quote:

Someone else!
Peg the non-wonder horse! - Pretty much just a normal horse. Please ignore all signs of intelligence or mysterious power.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 16, 2018

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
e: it's all down below

Robodog fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 20, 2018

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Wow, that's a whole bunch! While I read all of those, here's a Discord link: https://discord.gg/AE2ebH9

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

"Hey guys, I'm going to tell you how I feel about everyone! On camera!"

"Lizzy, no!"

"Lizzy, YES."

quote:

Clatterclaw, the Bull

Oh, a zombie. Cool. Always wanted to go on a zombie shooting spree like they did in the movies!

Wait, you're telling me this one is on *our team?*

Aw man... Can I still shoot her? And what's with the getup, anyway? I swear I've seen it somewhere before...

quote:

Almeisan, the Transformed

Oh man, weren't they like, from the middle east? They kinda shot themselves to pieces over dumb territory wars in the middle of a super plague, so they're gone. Not that I can tell what they're look like, since they look like space.

Speaking of which, what the hell man?! Space is MY gimmick, you know! I wore it better! And I'm also not a nerd. You nerd. What do you mean it's a different kind of space?

Nerd...

quote:

Chameleon the Janus

Well hello there, Boobzilla! Pretty cool power but not nearly as interesting as mine. Obviously. My power is kick rear end. (Incidentally, I'm also really good at kicking rear end.)

Not going to poke too deep there because, man, do I get it. I wish I had a goddamn family to protect, sometimes. Honestly, I think she should just dump Jack, because...

Wait, did I just say that out loud? Whoops!

But seriously, don't like that guy.

quote:

iyEMPiy, the Delinquent

So... you guys do realize this guy is like, mind controlled right? Also, a junkie.

Like I love getting wasted and all, not gonna lie, but that guy probably belongs in an asylum or something. Not on the street pretending to be a hero.

quote:

Gwen Pendragon, AKA Errant, The Legacy

Time Bullshit, what an apt description of how I got here, indeed. Apparently this girl is King Arthur's niece? That's pretty cool.

But let's talk about what's most important here: Holy poo poo, Excalibur! I want it.

I'm gonna 'borrow' it.
You goddamn know I will.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 14, 2018

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

"C'mon Liz, put the camera down."

"Sheesh, fine i'll talk, i'll talk!"

quote:

Exo, the Protege

"She seems nice, if REALLY reluctant to be here. I'm kind of wondering how she'll take to all the danger we're going to be throwing ourselves into. What? No, I think Exo will do fine, but it'd be nice to see if it helps build up her confidence a little. maybe stutter a little bit less."

quote:

Clatterclaw, the Bull

"That's quite a lot to go through, and i'm amazed Clatterclaw's still so... normal. Even peppy. Yeah, I guess there's the whole undead thing but that's not really her fault, you know?"

quote:

Chameleon, the Janus

"This one hits a little too close to home. I'd be a dead man if I lived in Kingston Heights, and the way that Chameleon manages to balance everything just highlights how strong of a person she is. Potentially the real heart of this team."

quote:

Pandora, the Nova

"Yeahhhh... i'm glad my powers catalyzed with an inside focus rather than an outside one or I could've blown up half of the city. I hate to say it, but i'm kind of afraid of her. It's not her fault, but it's like looking in a mirror and knowing that i'm one bad day away from the same results."

quote:

iyEMPiy, the Delinquent

"Tuned out from all the drugs or tuned in to how society really works? Maybe both. I'm probably not the best person for getting through to them, but a decent one to just hang on the couch as support. Also they've got me hooked on this stupid MMO..."

quote:

Errant, the Legacy

"I'm not following: So she's King Arthur's sister's kid, but not Mordred, because there's a bunch of different parallel dimensional Camelots. Screw this, at least your time shenanigans make sense, Liz. Uh, personally? A little too serious but she seems decent enough."

quote:

Webway, the Harbinger

"Our ESTEEMED savior from the future seems relatively light-hearted and fun-loving, albeit a little too likely to end up being the first person in Halcyon City arrested for being a pain in the a..."

[Laughter can be heard from behind the camera.]

quote:

Reverie, the Star

"She seems a bit, I dunno, higher profile than the rest of us. Which is weird since we've got Exo on our team but "do it yourself" star power's completely different y'kn... argh, no that wasn't MEANT to be a pun! Anyway, if she's willing to come and meet us halfway, might as well extend her the same courtesy."

quote:

Silverbird, the Delinquent

"She's so cool! The power negation thing in particular seems really interesting... okay, maybe a little bit biased. But still - it would be nice to be stable for long enough to go on a bike ride with her."

quote:

Mantid, the Outsider

"So there's life on other planets after all? Ha, knew it couldn't be that improbable! Makes sense that they'd put their best foot(?) forward and send someone really excited and outgoing like Mantid out to explore the final frontier. It's a shame that she sounds like she might have to go home relatively soon, but that's all the more reason for us to show her a good time while she's here!"

quote:

Kid Bastet, the Doomed

"Not a cat person. There, I said it. Probably helps in this case as it means i'm less likely to ask for Bastet's intercession on cat related issues and she can just stay the way she is without anything bad happening to her. Also looking forward to helping Bastet show her Dad just how little influence one star should be able to exert on Halcyon City."

quote:

Namorine, the Outsider

"Okay, I said Errant was serious? Namorine's way more serious. Or smug. That's a good word for this situation: smug. She's got a good heart underneath it all, I can tell! But it's going to take a hell of a lot of work to put up with her on a daily basis."

Jossar fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 20, 2018

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Reverie, the Star

"All that in mind, Reverie, I'm willing to grant you our assistance. The last thing Halcyon needs right now are demons running about."

Though Reverie was back at school, she still had her costume on. She didn't want to reveal everything about herself to the other students in the classroom. Well, magic users in stolen school uniforms. For the Winged Nine, the feeling was mutual. They had covered most of the room in a magical darkness that extended to their faces.

"On one condition!" The speaker looked for all the world like a pink cat wearing a bow. In truth, Cherub, or "Ruby" was an old, old dragon, as well as her partner. But right now, she was the most intimidating person in the room. Because Reverie knew she was talking about the interview following her fight with the Dark Lord Leraje. "She spent three hours lying to her audience, which I can accept." Drinking from a teacup the size of her head, Ruby continued. "But she also lied to herself, which I cannot. How about it, kid? Let's hear you answer those questions for real."

quote:

When did you first appear onscreen?
Reverie poured a cup of tea for herself. "I assume I don't have to tell you about the dragon attack from three years ago?"

"Wouldn't hurt. But I'll ask someone else." Principality was a girl with blonde hair and, judging by the fangs in her smile and red eyes, also a vampire. "I wasn't unsealed until early this year."

"...Right. Well, I'm the glowing kid from the news." She gives a self-conscious smirk. "The lunatic who decided the best place for her to be was in the middle of a kaiju brawl."

quote:

What do you tell people about how you got your powers?

"K-kaiju?!" There was a soft ripple of laughter from the Nine.

"The first time I saw you, you were as tall as a skyscraper and made of heavenly flames."

"Focus! We want to know about the awakening of your magic."

Reverie sipped from her cup. "There's not much to say. You were hurt. A lot of Heroes were, and I wanted to help you. So much that I felt this energy growing in my heart, waiting to be released. That was my first spell, the Anthem. A song to restore strength and grant the power to seize victory."

"Saved my life, too." Ruby smiled wistfully.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, supports your burgeoning star in every way possible?

"Alright, Rubes." Reverie made her way over to the dragon's perch and leaned in to meet her gaze. "My turn. What's your deal? You've saved the city from a different rampaging ancient wyrm, and you probably have powers to rival an Archmage. My fans keep asking me why you don't solve all our problems, and if I'm being honest, I want to know, too." She sighed. "If it's like how cheating on a test doesn't help you in the long run, I understand."

"It is," Ruby admitted, "But that's not the reason I wanted to share with you. Fact is, I'm a cuter, more marketable version of Gandalf." Literally. Reverie's sponsoring company was making a tidy profit from selling Ruby plushies. "As an Empyrean Dragon, I can only act to counter an Infernal Dragon. Because Valvados and his goons wanted to take the city by force three years ago, I was able to smash his smug face. Fact is, I wouldn't be able to help you if he hadn't also appointed a mortal champion, whoever they are."

quote:

Who, outside of the team, loathes what you represent?

"That's right." From the shadows came the voice of the Nine's leader. "You mentioned Valvados was alive and now leading his own group of would-be Heroes."

Reverie snorted. "The Nexus-" She squinted in Archangel's general direction. "Don't believe their crap about fighting corruption or doing what Heroes can't. The Nexus is, like, Facebook for mercenaries and terrorists. But with kayfabe." And as of late, vast knowledge of demonic magic. "Valvados isn't really alive, either. He's...after he was defeated the first time..."

Archangel finished her thought. "A dracolich. It explains the injury to your soul."

"Yeah." She placed a hand over her heart at a familiar twinge of pain. "I haven't been able to cast the Anthem since. I think he...he absorbed that magic from me."

"He'll never be able to use it." Ruby snapped. "Light-aligned magic is anathema to him, especially when it involves metaphysical Light. Meaning hope. Or love. Valvados is a self-centered, drunken sleaze. All to the better, really. I don't think the universe could bear the sight of him trying to sing Rev's bubblegum pop songs." She shuddered, snapping her fingers. Which was impressive, because she only had paws. Reverie's teacup glowed briefly. "It's hot cocoa, now. After we're done, go do something that makes you happy. You're well on the road to recovery, but you can help it go even faster."

quote:

Reverie rolled her eyes. "Any cracks about spoiled little rich girls, and I'm outta here." She finished her cocoa with a swig. "I believed in the Heroes of Halcyon. I knew they weren't perfect, but that's how I could do my part. By helping them be even better. I nicknamed myself the Muse for a reason, you know? But a lot of them only saw me as a way to boost their powers." And after she lost the Anthem, a rival for fame. "I'll bet if I took off my costume in front of them, it'd be just like becoming invisible."

"While we're on the subject..." Principality gave her an appreciative once-over. "Are you wearing anything underneath that little number?"

"It's a glamour, you Twilight reject!"

quote:

"Because to them, I wouldn't be invisible." She manages a weak smile. "They're my friends, and to them, I'm more than the dress and the voice."

quote:

Hero Name: Reverie
Playbook: The Star
Look: Woman, White, Warm smile, Designer clothing, Flashy costume

Abilities: Light Control

Labels:
Danger: -1
Freak: +1
Savior: +1
Superior: +2
Mundane: 0

Audience:
You are a celebrity in the city. By default, your audience is a limited group of interested fans, and you speak to them through after-action interviews and infrequent press conferences. Why does your audience love you?

- You're just like them.
- You're a noble warrior for justice.
- You're stunning, unique, and beautiful.
- You're charming, well-spoken, and smart.

Choose two advantages:

- You have a much wider audience.
- You have a major hero's endorsement.

Choose two demands your audience makes on you:

- They require perfection-no mistakes.
- They require major acts of heroism.

When you accept what your audience tells you about yourself, clear a condition. When you reject what your audience tells you about yourself, on a hit mark potential and expect retribution.

When you seek help from your audience, roll + Superior. On a hit, someone in your audience can hook you up. On a 10+, they only make a small demand. On a 7-9, their demands are a lot higher. On a miss, you’ve made a mistake, and your audience won’t help you until you’ve redeemed yourself in their eyes.

Moves:
The Gossip Mags: When you tap into the gossip and rumor of the celebrity industry for information on an important city figure, roll + Superior. On a hit, you can ask the GM questions. On a 10+, ask three. On a 7-9, ask one:

- What are they up to?
- What or who do they most care about?
- What allies do they have? Enemies?
- Where and when can I find them?
- How could I make them vulnerable to me?

On a miss, ask one anyway, but they hear about your interest in them.

Stage-fighting: When you directly engage a threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll + Superior instead of Danger.

Moment of Truth:
Sometimes it can be hard to tell where the show stops and where you begin—but not today. Not now. Because right now, there is no show. Right now, you are the thing you pretend to be—bold and bright and beautiful and amazing and powerful and confident. Right now, you draw strength from your audience, comfort from their belief in you, and you can do anything they think you can. Of course, after such an impassioned performance, your audience will just have even more demands...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, say whether it’s part of the show or not. If it is, then you can shift your Labels as you choose. If it is not, then they shift your Labels, and you can clear a condition or mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they will tell anyone the truth about you. If they agree to keep it a secret, clear a condition or mark potential. If they don’t agree, the GM shifts your Labels.

When Our Team First Came Together...
We, as a team, attracted the attention of a major media outlet within the city, thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

Relationships:
__________________ might wind up being more of a star than me some day.
__________________ would be a great sidekick; I try to keep them around.

Influence:
Choose how you see the team: as a means to an end, or as something worthwhile on its own.
If you see the team as something worthwhile, give three teammates Influence.

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 13:08 on May 16, 2018

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

You know I know what a video camera is, right? I was born in this century, not...whenever. Uh, impressions of other candidates? Sure.

quote:

Webway

She's on the opposite end of the Time Bullshit spectrum to me, having come from the future to try and prevent some catastrophe. I thought apocalypses were supposed to make people grow up? Guess not.

quote:

Exo

We both know what it's like to have an overbearing parent, but I'm pretty sure I got the better deal. Her old man seems like a control freak, and this is coming from someone who had to dodge chaperones from the time I could tell the difference between boys and girls.

quote:

Clatterclaw

Good people. Tough and reliable. What, you thought her being dead would be a problem for me? Please, there's a dozen 'differently vital' members on the Round Table roster, including two who are just angry skeletons! My babysitter could cut her own head off as a party trick! 'Sort of dead' is not an issue for me. To have as a teammate.

quote:

Almeisan

It's really hard to stop looking at him. Like, the night sky just walking around in the room. I wonder what that feels like. Does it hurt?

quote:

Chameleon

I know why she doesn't like showing her face. I knew Chevalier a bit, he was...nice. Mom says he never really adjusted, thought he could solve every problem with a pure heart and a strong arm. She's a good reminder that we need to be careful facing down a world that doesn't play by those rules.

quote:

Pandora

OK, I'll admit that she scares me a bit. End of the day I'm a kid with a fancy sword, but she can turn fundamental forces of nature on and off like a tap. If she wasn't so nice about it I'd be really worried. As it is...she's unstable and risky to be around, but better around us than someone who'd exploit her, right?

quote:

Reverie

Yeah...wizards. Don't trust 'em, never will. Always got some kind of crisis or prophecy they're playing up to hide their personal dispute with another creepy sorcerer. At least when Reverie puts a spell on you it has a beat you can dance to.

quote:

iyEMPiy

I'm not exactly a technophobe, I have a smartphone and social media accounts, I can order a pizza online, whatever. But what they can make a computer do is outright witchcraft to me. I really don't like having my power shut down, either. I'm still a good fighter without superstrength, but it feels like being robbed. Again, probably better to have them on my side than the other way round.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 16, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Pandora looks over her desk, messy with pictures and 'zine clippings of other people who were just breaking into the whole hero scene, and rubs her temples. To nobody in particular, she says, "Man, I really hope nobody just like... pops in right now. I bet I'd look like a stalker or something." Fate thoroughly tempted, she begins to shuffle all the bits and pieces into appropriate piles and scrabble some initial thoughts. "Good thing I don't have the whole corkboard and string going on, either."

quote:

Webway — I guess the future is made of fancy dresses and ruffles?

"Oh, man, where to start. She's... she's a lot. I don't pretend to have a head for all this time nonsense, that seems more like Errant's bag, but maybe I should learn. I mean, chances are I'll blow a hole through time sooner or later. But, uh, seriously. She's just projecting right? Pretending to be all happy because she came from the poo poo timeline? I guess that makes sense. Maybe I'd do the same."

"..."

"Nah, probably not."

quote:

Exo — So her superpower is turning into an anime?

"Alright, so, she's stuck in pretty close with BigTek. From what I can see, she's got family way at the top. That's... that's a little worrisome. I mean, I'm not big into conspiracies or whatever, but it's not a big jump from 'dubious corporate policies' to 'probably a front for super-villains'. I mean, seriously, you remember that thing last year where Crash busted her way into Lockheed-MacDougal and took out their secret army of killer deathbots?"

"All that's to say I'm not entirely sure about the people behind her, but she's freaking adorable. I want to like..." Pandora stops, then shrugs. "Pinch her cheeks? Give her a hug? Ruffle her hair forever? Invite her over for a sleepover and chit-chat about girl stuff? I mean, seriously, look at her!"

quote:

Clatterclaw — The happiest zombie-slash-hopping-vampire?

"Man, I guess I'm not the only one who drew a joker when it came to the power lottery... though I guess they kind of forced her into picking what she got. I'm, uh, wow. Is it bad that I'm still a little sketched out by her being dead? Like, it's probably some sort of protected class or something. Ugh, I should try to be more understanding. Let's see..."

"Oh! She doesn't get hurt easily at all. I bet I could just go completely nuclear — not that I want to or ever plan on it, of course — and she'd be like ninety-percent fine."

quote:

Almeisan — Is it weird that it's kind of like looking into a mirror?

"So, uh, he turned himself into some cosmic nonsense instead of channeling it every which way? That's... huh. I didn't even know you could do that. I guess I'm a little envious. He doesn't get treated like he's about to go off at the slightest provocation, even though I guess it would make life pretty hard not to be able to turn off at all."

"Also, for the record, another person who would be very difficult to accidentally erase from existence. Big plus there."

quote:

Chameleon — Does the domino mask really fool anyone?

"I mean, obviously, I have no idea who she is. I've just always wondered about the mask thing. Like..." Pandora pauses. "Is it like some agreed-upon conceit I'm missing? Cameras were pretty good about facial recognition stuff even before the crazy super-tech got involved. I'm not hugely involved in the community, though, so I guess it'd make sense I'd never know. I'll have to chit-chat with her later and try to figure it all out."

quote:

iyEMPiy — How do you pronounce that?

"So..."

"Wow. So they're like some sort of morally-grey super-experiment like Clatters, but all fried from the lotus eating? I mean... Yeah. That sucks. I don't mind the whole powers-turn-off thing, goodness knows I might need it sooner than not, but I'm not sure they're the type to let anyone in. I'm looking for a team, right? Not some kind of... anarcho-individualistic commune, I guess? Those are a thing, right? Am I making that up?"

quote:

Errant — Can you hook me up with one of your hot renfaire friends?

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't into the whole swords-and-sorcery angle. It's kind of weird that those kinds of books are still so popular when we have literal knights and sorcerors sucked out of the past, future, future-past, and... Y'know, time bullshit like that. Anyways, the point is this: She has to know all sorts of eligible bachelors that are looking to sweep a powerhouse, like myself, off their feet and frilly dresses are probably going to be involved and..."

"...What? Don't give me that look. I may be all solar flares and gravity wells now, but I can appreciate a frilly dress."

"Anyways, she probably won't explode if I look at her funny. That's a win in my book."

quote:

Reverie — Can I get your autograph?

"Oh! Wow, I guess she would be in my secret, definitely not shameful at all hero files. I mean, really, if I'm looking to make some waves, a literal celebrity would be a pretty good place to start, huh? It'd definitely put us on the map... Plus if we were friends, then... well, I sure wouldn't be normal, but that seems like a very much less bad version of the abnormal I've got right now."

quote:

Silverbird — What's your favorite series?

"A motorcycle! Dang, I haven't seen one of those in..." Pandora stops, thinks, then shrugs. "I actually don't think I've ever seen one in person. Huh. Well, that's not important. What is important is that she's super cool, has a sword, and doesn't let anyone tell her what to do. She's like, I dunno, exactly what I want to be like? I have to hang out with her."

"It looks like she goes to the hobby shop downtown a lot... I'm not supposed to go there, but I bet I could track her down pretty easy!"

quote:

Mantid — Can I touch your antenna?

"Wow, uh, she's... an alien! I mean, I guess that shouldn't be such a shock with all the fantastic bullshit that's going around the city, but I mean... she's an alien! Anyways, really, it seems like she's got a lot of the same things going on that I do. So... yeah, I think we'd get along really well. She should be able to do whatever she wants, you know? Even if it's not fighting or whatever."

"I wonder if she could help me get a handle on these powers? There's all those crazy weapons and tech that her people have, right? I mean, maybe not, but... it'd be nice to hope."

quote:

Kid Bastet — Can you... can you not be on the couch?

"I don't pretend to know Ra from Rafael down the street, but I do know that I'm super allergic to cats. I'll be sneezing two ways til Sunday if she has her furry friends crash at my place. Unless cat allergies are in her divine whatever? I really need to figure out how literal — or claimed — divinity maps out compared to your average hero working the streets."

"She's really cute though... ugh, I really want to hang out... and maybe scratch her ears? If that's, like, a thing that she's cool with. I wonder if Mantid could hook me up with some alien antihistamines or something."

quote:

Namorina — Can she talk to fish?

"Alright, I mean, I'm not one-hundred-percent onboard with her weirdo savior and/or haughty princess attitude, but I get where she's coming from. People who don't get to be who they are for reasons they can't control? Yeah, you and me both, lady."

Tricky fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 21, 2018

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

So why are we doing this again? "So you can try and figure out what makes the people you're maybe going to be working with tick." and I want to do that why? "because it'll be fun besides between us we might figure out something useful."

"So tell me what you think of...."

"Webway" posted:

So she's from the future. Ok, well that makes sense I guess. And from what she's let slip the future kind of sucks so I shouldn't really plan on having any kids. But because she's here that future probably won't happen which would mean she wouldn't be sent back which means the future would happen. Which means she would be sent back. Time travel makes my head hurt. Still that aside, she seems quite capable assuming we can keep her off the booze for long enough to actually make it to a fight. There's the big question though still to ask her if I dare. What happens to me in the future? Do I really want to know?

"Exo" posted:

I hate her. Big Tek is everything that's wrong with this city in one lousy corporate package. Did you know my dad used to work in one of their factories back when they still had factories in Halycon. Back before they outsourced them to China. Do you know how much profit they made the year they shut them down because they "were no longer cost-effective" Well I do and it's a lot. The head of that company is an amoral scumbag who cares more about his profits than he does about helping this city and you can bet his daughter is a chip off the old block. She might have everyone else fooled with that naive and nervous act but I know all about hiding your true self behind masks.

"Clatterclaw" posted:

drat, and I thought I had it rough, but at least I wasn't turned into a walking corpse by a shady government black-ops group. What they did to her was all kinds of wrong and hosed up and they need to be brought to justice. They can plead about the circumstances all they like but the end does not justify the means. If there is any sort of justice in this messed-up world she'll get ten minutes alone in a room with her creators. And I wouldn't blame her in the slightest if she decided to shred them. Which she is quite capable of doing with those claws of hers. Still she deserves huge respect for coming out the other side of that sane.

Almeisan posted:

I have no idea what an Almesian is, but I guess I kind of hit the jackpot when it came to superpowers compared to him. Yeah learning to control my powers may have been awkward at times., but compared to being turned into whatever he is it's a walk in the park. He seems a nice enough guy if a little stuck up and indecisive but hey he's got a lot to figure out I suppose. I wonder what it feels like though... is it as weird as it looks?

Pandora posted:

Of all my potential teammates Pandora is the one that scares me the most. I can change my body into pretty much any material imaginable but as far as I know there's nothing that can survive having it's atoms ripped in half or whatever it is she actually does with her powers. Still that aside her heart seems like it's in the right place and she's more interested in making a difference than selling her own personalised line of perfume which counts for a lot in my opinion. As long as she can keep control of her powers we shouldn't have any issues.

iyEMPiy posted:

You know I actually found myself feeling sorry for the guy when I heard about his upbringing. I mean I'm not sure I would have chosen my powers if I had the choice but to have that choice forcibly taken away from you is just wrong. Still he doesn't help himself by being an anti-social jerk. He needs to get some proper help rather self-medicating with drugs and cheap entertainment. If he did he could make a great hero, until he does though I'm going to sleep with one eye open because I'm not sure I can trust him to do the right thing.

Errant posted:

So her mom's from the past but it may not be our past but the past of an alternate dimension. Time and space travel makes my head hurt even worse than regular time travel. Still she seems... weirdly ok I guess. When I first met her I thought she was going to be a stuck up prick. You see these knightly types wheeled out on the evening news with their actual medieval views on whatever hot-topic is generating press coverage these days and you might think they're an old fashioned joke. But she's really trying to make a difference and she has her head screwed on right. That counts for a lot in my book.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

"Oh we're doing this? Well I mean I'm not really a gossip but if you insist hahaha!"

quote:

Webway

"Right, ok. So, I sympathize with the whole 'coming from a crap future' angle. Like, my own past has not been so great if you know what I mean haha, so there's deffo a connection there. So in that light, maybe her generally abrasive attitude and rampant alcoholism can sort of be forgiven? Like, maybe they're a sort of a mask she needs to wear to not get too attached to things because, well, I would guess that world murdering plagues sort of manufacture a need for cynicism."

"Still doesn't stop her whole too cool for school thing from being really annoying."

"And I don't like the way she eyes my hat. I put some time and effort into designing this outfit you know so hands off ahaha!"

quote:

Exo

"Oh my god???"

"Just look at her! She's adorable! I mean like I don't mean to infantilize her or anything, but she's like one of those dog breeds bred for max adorableness you know?"

"...wow ok that definitely came out wrong, sorry, sorry. But like, now that I think of it, maybe there is a point there? Like, she is associated with NightShift, and NightShift is basically just a superpowered advertisement right? So maybe her whole 'look' is also partly manufactured? But even if it is, I doubt she's complicit? She doesn't strike me as the manipulator type. Then again, isn't hiding that whole thing the first thing every manipulator type has to learn?"

"Man why can't everyone have simple backstories, like 'evil wizards put your soul in a box and played keep-away with it until you managed to break through and legged it' haha! Nice and morally simple, right?"

quote:

Almeisan

"Wow, starstuff!"

"...Hahaha yeah, I was never too good with this stuff? And I've skipped a couple years of school because, well, you know, I was too busy getting dead haha. But like, it's a neat power I think, and his look would be really cool too if he wasn't stuck that way. That's just kinda sad you know? I mean I'm not normal looking either, but it's mostly just pallor and cold feet. Stuff you can actually manage with heavy makeup and those cozy, furry slippers. I've got like, three pairs of those. They're neat, you should get a pair if you don't have one already! Hahaha but yeah, I doubt that you can hide what this guy is carrying no matter the amount of foundation you try to slam on it."

"Behind the veneer though, he seems really ok. Well adjusted and nice. A bit of a nerd but not too badly ahaha!"

quote:

Chameleon

"drat. I just feel so bad for her you know?"

"Like sure, I was toyed around with by those ex-Lazarus goons, but at least most of that is behind me now. I can move forward. It might be moving forward with a zombie shuffle but you know, still counts right hahaha! But yeah, this girl though? She comes from bad part of town, and her issue is constant, as must be her fear of being found out. And the problems she tries to tackle are big. I really want to help, I really, really do, but the issues of Kingston Heights are not the sort of knot you can cut with a pair of claws."

quote:

Pandora

"Pandora huh? A bit of a glum name for someone who is basically a barely controlled explosion of cosmic energies, right? It's like me naming myself Zombie Apocalypse, haaAAH! But yeah, don't set yourself up for failure sister!"

"...In all seriousness though? That's a real rough deal she got. Sure, I suppose the part where she got her powers was over fairly quick, and sure I suppose she actually gets to continue being a living person, but still. It's kinda like with Chameleon, in that her problem is this constant weight. She will probably have to keep living with her volatile nature until the day she dies, which is just... man. I don't know if I could deal with that. Probably not."

"At least I'm tough enough that I should be able to hang out with her without fear of sudden annihilation, I suppose. I think she could probably use a friend like that."

quote:

iyEMPiy

"...Honestly? I don't even know what to think of them really. It's just, they're so closed up and brooding I don't even know if I know them. All I know is that their past is supremely screwed up to the eleventh degree, and they honestly probably need therapy more than they need being a superhero."

quote:

Errant

"Ok so I've given up already on all this time stuff I think hahaha! But like, I'm happy that at least one of us here is not from some totally sad-sack past you know? She's more of a bright hero of a bright lineage trying to do the right thing for heroic reasons which is refreshing! Her presence here is like someone lighting a sweet scented candle in a room after the aftermath of an all-you-can-eat burrito feast of sadness hahaha!"

"Ahh is that a bit gross? I'm sorry, I just kinda miss tasting food like normal."

quote:

Reverie

"Oh her! I know her, she's got her face plastered in a bunch of places. And honestly I feel a bit of kinship you know? She got her soul messed with too. I know how much that particular operation hurts, and I'm dead haha! But yeh, she's basically got this Magical Girl thing going on right? And now that I think of it, my soul's in a weird gem, so does that make me a magical girl?"

"Hm."

"I suppose I lack the weird-cute companion creature that you need to seal that particular deal."

"Still though: Mahou Shoujo Clatters & Reverie Starlight Adventures? That sounds pretty good right? Hahaha!"

Theantero fucked around with this message at 13:18 on May 16, 2018

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

quote:

Pandora, the Nova!

*Webway pops in, already sitting down midair before dropping a few centimeters on Pandora's bed close by.*

DID SOMEBODY SAY TIME BULLSHIT?

Oh, not that kind. Alright. Well, Hi.

You're like, named after Pandora's box right? Are monsters going to pop out from you? ... where...?

Oh, wait, you mean that's like, your name? Wow.

Well, I for one think you're alright. I got some people I wanna see blown up, if you're up for that. Just... gotta find em first.

Actually... why are you stalking me? And all these other people? That's kinda weird.

quote:

Sammi Cubrick, AKA Exo

So adorable! I wanna take her home. She's way too much of a scaredy cat, though. Not nearly half as fun if if you need to spend half an hour convincing someone to go to a party, y'know?

Her dad's got some serious money though. That's neat. Maybe he'll feel generous sometime?

Goddamnit, if I had known I'd be travelling to the past I'd have dug up some lottery numbers...

quote:

Reverie, the Star

So... I'm not quite sure I really understand what her deal is, so I'm going with 'lightbulb that punches people'.

I can dig that, honestly.

Don't tell anyone I bought a Ruby plushie, YOU HEAR!?

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Some feedback on the apps so far! Address these issues however you see fit, in or out of character. You don't need to respond to every question individually (or at all), just consider how your character can be expanded or improved.

Webway
Some solid story hooks, which is good. It seems like society has a bigger issue with you than vice versa, though? Tossing you in a jail cell overnight is a pretty reasonable reaction to drunken disorderlyness. I'd also like to know where you live — hijacking hotel rooms, slumming it on the streets or staying with someone from the team, etc.

Exo
Secretly evil Mentor, I dig it. Potentially juicy drama. But! You don't have much control over your own life — Why would BigTek let you run around with these rambunctious upstart youths? For that matter, why would you want to? As written, it's hard to see Sammi sticking it to the Man, given that the Man is literally her dad and she's trying to impress him. If she has an independent streak, I don't see it here.

Clatterclaw
You've got hooks and you've got beef with society, which is good. But what do you want? Got any long-term goals? Short term? Can you blend in with normal people if you want to? Do you want to?

Almeisan
It seems like your life has pretty much been business as usual since you changed, which an odd choice for the Transformed. Your beef is pretty weak, too. It's not bad, just very anticlimactic. What makes you angry? What makes you happy? What used to make you happy, but is now out of your reach?

Chameleon
This is solid, nothing missing here. How do you handle the transition to/from your masked self? Keep the costume close at all times? Go heroing at set hours? Stashes at strategic locations in your neighborhood? How eventful was your heroing before you joined the team?

Pandora
Likewise, this feels complete. We know what happened to your dad, but what about the rest of your family? How did they react? You've got a pretty loose leash, enough to go heroing without obvious oversight — how often do you feel the restrictions you're under?

iyEMPiy
There's a bunch of things here that are unclear or contradictory. You were controlled strictly enough that you were digging tunnels to escape, but you were still allowed to get drunk without oversight? If the state wants to suppress minorities with powers and they can disappear kids whenever they want, why don't they just... do that, instead of whatever they were trying to accomplish with you? Why did they reward you with drugs that actively worked against their brainwashing? What's your situation like right now — did they just let you go? If you were taken as an infant, how did you first start resisting? Why does the government devote resources to bigotry for the sake of bigotry, when there are literal extraterrestrial invasions happening regularly? How do they get away with it, when there are many Heroes who would love to smash this program to pieces (especially since secrecy doesn't seem like a priority for them)? Basically, there's a mountain of issues.

Errant
Your one glaring issue is the lack of issues with society. That question is important! Doesn't mean you can't be privileged, but something about society needs to tick you off. "Some paperwork issues" doesn't exactly inspire rebellious zeal.

Reverie
This is a fun way to write, but it does come at the cost of clarity. Who are the Nine? Why do you answer to them? How did you lie to yourself in that interview? Why did you lie to the audience? How did fighting a dragon lead to you becoming a pop star? How long ago did you lose the Anthem? I get the feeling you know the answers to most of these already — clue me in!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Auraboks posted:

Pandora
Likewise, this feels complete. We know what happened to your dad, but what about the rest of your family? How did they react? You've got a pretty loose leash, enough to go heroing without obvious oversight — how often do you feel the restrictions you're under?

I'll tackle these OOC to clarify my vision for her. So I figure Pandora has a pretty standard nuclear family. Parents, two-and-a-half kids, that sort of thing. So her dad, as mentioned, got the worst of it in the emergence event. I figure there's some trepidation and fear to work through, should the Riaz family come up during play, but fundamentally he loves her. I think her mom definitely took the whole taken-into-state-custody bit the hardest. The state just swooped in and snatched her baby girl and who knows what they're doing to her? Her kid brother, meanwhile, thinks that having a hero in the family — even one as prone to collateral damage as Pandora — is just the absolute coolest poo poo. I think it'd be kind of a funny juxtaposition of how he used to think that she was just a total bore, but now that she's got powers? Role model.

As for the leash, I figure some of that points to the state not actually caring as much as they put on. Like, yeah, she's a powderkeg waiting to go off. Also, there's an extraterrestrial invasion on and we're scheduled for like three apocalypses. Halcyon will be fine! I think the other part, though, is that she's learning to do things with her powers that help her slip through the figurative and literal net they have around her. So maybe she leaves a simulacrum in the housing when she slips out for a little do-goodery, maybe she needs to open a wormhole into town to get through security.

In play, I'd be looking for it to pop up at the least opportune moments for some solid pathos and drama. Like, say, at the end of a successful fight, or if the team wanted to go do normal people things, or when she goes Nova. I'd also think that the restrictions would be a big part of the in-setting reactions to a Moment of Truth, for instance.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 16, 2018

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Auraboks posted:

Some feedback on the apps so far! Address these issues however you see fit, in or out of character. You don't need to respond to every question individually (or at all), just consider how your character can be expanded or improved.

Exo
Secretly evil Mentor, I dig it. Potentially juicy drama. But! You don't have much control over your own life — Why would BigTek let you run around with these rambunctious upstart youths? For that matter, why would you want to? As written, it's hard to see Sammi sticking it to the Man, given that the Man is literally her dad and she's trying to impress him. If she has an independent streak, I don't see it here.

Sammi is trapped in a position of servitude. Unable to make a difference and live up to the teachings her father told her. She wants action, she wants adventure. Which is what I'll be pushing towards in the diary entries/opinions.

My plan was during the meet up with everyone scenario after picks, Sammi's convoy would get caught up in the chaos, and she'd have a chance to join in on the fighting, and feel so alive, so involved, so helpful, that by the time they've all escaped, she's not even realised that she's gone with the team. But by then, she's already had that taste of freedom, of being a real hero, not just a corporate mascot, how could she go back? Plus, she'll see what it's really like for people outside her ivory tower. It'll be a bit of a culture shock. But Papa taught her to help people, to put their needs above her own - and these people clearly need help! Their adventures will give her the chance to be a person, not just a barbie doll for BigTek. She'll build her independant streak. See how BigTek was using her, reaslise some uncomfortable truths, and ultimately grow beyond his grasp and control and into her own individual person. But that'll be around the point that I change playbook.

Sammi's personal story is the whole "when I was an adult I put aside childish things" arch.

Plus it then gives the team a chance to have to foil evil schemes from the increasingly rouge board of directors, while Papa Cubrick is torn between his job and his love for his daughter. Potentially sabotaging BigTek's plans and secretly assisting the team for the good of his daughter. The whole nine yards.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Auraboks posted:

Clatterclaw
You've got hooks and you've got beef with society, which is good. But what do you want? Got any long-term goals? Short term? Can you blend in with normal people if you want to? Do you want to?

Clatterclaw wants to live a happy life despite of all the things that have happened to her. A fairly simple want, but made complicated by her circumstances. First of all, she is a very expensive bit of investment for those ex-Lazarus people that kidnapped her in the first place, so her immediate short-term goals revolve around not having to spend her existence afraid of their reprisal. Long-term goals are to somehow improve government transparency and oversight and all that good stuff so that nothing like Lazarus can happen to other people, but she is not very confident in her ability to affect that sort of societal change because she's basically a bruiser by trade now. This is something that can change of course, but likely only after she gets a better sense of her own place in the world.

As per blending in, she can't really unless heavily disguised. That she is dead is not so readily apparent, but only having many physiological functions being upheld artificially sort of leaves an inhuman impression, not to say anything for the blue skin (she's not super creepy and is actually fairly good looking in her own way, this being a point mainly because the whole Can't Deal With Others Because I'm Too Creepy Looking is more a Transformed thing). But she does not care about that so much, as long as she can at least fit in with the other heroes. As mentioned in the app proper, she's largely there because its the only place she feels she could properly belong into. She accepts that being a hero is basically her job, and likely to be so in the future too, which is a big part of why she insists on being so tenaciously cheery: This is her life now, so she's set on having as good a time of it as possible. She's basically taken the attitude that even though the hand she's been dealt is kind of crap, she will make her damnedest to play it well enough to carve an existence she can enjoy.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Auraboks posted:

Chameleon

This is solid, nothing missing here. How do you handle the transition to/from your masked self? Keep the costume close at all times? Go heroing at set hours? Stashes at strategic locations in your neighborhood? How eventful was your heroing before you joined the team?

The costume? Yeah i usually keep it with me at all times. I've got a sports bag that I take everywhere with me and I'm careful to carry a few gym clothes in there to cover it up. I admit it's not the best solution and that if anyone were to give it more than a casual search I'd be in trouble. But what else can I do? I wish I had the resources and the funds to make up half a dozen costumes and scatter them about the neighbourhood but I don't have anywhere near that kind of money that would take. I wish I did.

As for when I do heroing well it's whenever I can find the time. I wish it could be a full time gig, but unless you're sponsored by one of the major teams or you're a well-known hero able to whore your identity out to the highest bidder then heroing doesn't really pay well enough. The big teams are not going to employ someone from a bad neighbourhood like Kingston Heights. And I don't think anyones going to be queuing up to buy Chameleon brand breakfast cereal or Chameleon brand detergent any time soon. I've been stealing as much time for heroing as I can, there's been a number of times when my boyfriend's been convinced I'm at work, my parents have been convinced I'm with him and my work are convinced I took the day off sick. So far I've managed to make the whole thing work and even somehow kept up my good grades. It's just I hate how I'm having to lie to everyone... even if it is for their own safety.

So far my heroing career has been fairly boring. Kingston Heights isn't really the kind of place that attracts supervillians if only because there's nothing there worth stealing. So most of my foes have been mundane criminals up till this point. Mostly drug dealers, the odd car thief. That armed robbery who hit the local pawn shop. I mean I guess I'm making the streets safer... it's just I feel like I could and should be doing more. Not just attacking the symptoms of the problem but finding a cure for why this neighbourhood is a mess. Problem is I don't even know where to start. I'm hoping I can learn from my teammates or even enlist their help in my little crusade. Then just maybe we can start making a real difference for the people who need it most.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

quote:

Errant
Your one glaring issue is the lack of issues with society. That question is important! Doesn't mean you can't be privileged, but something about society needs to tick you off. "Some paperwork issues" doesn't exactly inspire rebellious zeal.
Oh boy. You're going to get me going now, so don't say I say I didn't warn you. Remember what happened to Greenvale Arcology? That experimental public housing project? Oh, it 'burned down', yeah? Not exactly. It was an attack by an old enemy of the Table, a dragon called Killgarrah who according to the stories should be at least an ally. Whatever was going on, he picked that place to suffer absolute destruction and killed or maimed everyone who went up against him. A bunch of knights are still missing, presumed reduced to some of the fine ash that still smells like burning flesh. Some other heroes tried to step in but we claimed 'jurisdiction' and went on to accomplish jack and poo poo. What's left of the place is called the Ash now.

People in the Ash still don't have reliable access to power or clean water five years after Killgarrah's attack, they get no support for medical conditions caused by smoke inhalation or living in a burned ruin. Every time anyone tries to move the survivors out the council can't find suitable accommodation. There's never any money in the budget for a clean up or even a monument to the dead. We do charity runs, but it's a shameful fig leaf for our biggest failure. And for all that it's a giant scar on the landscape inhabited by desperate people, it's not the only one in this city. 'Designated combat zones' always started as someone's home, and because it's impolite to fight near rich people it's usually low cost housing that gets wrecked.

Anyway, you wanted a pet issue, and that's mine. I could go on for ages about income inequality, or how some assholes think they own women's bodies, or capes that think they're Ubermensch because they have laser eyes who disregard democracy, but you don't have all day.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Auraboks posted:

Almeisan
It seems like your life has pretty much been business as usual since you changed, which an odd choice for the Transformed. Your beef is pretty weak, too. It's not bad, just very anticlimactic. What makes you angry? What makes you happy? What used to make you happy, but is now out of your reach?

Okay, maybe the normality of the post-transformation life was kind of overstated. Trying not too hard to think about it.

The out of reach part is literal in most cases. Almeisan first discovered this by sinking through the floor of the nurse's office where he was first tested. Or more accurately having the floor fall into him. This only stopped when Almeisan instinctively retracted his form from the area that marks his personal identity boundary (so if you look really hard he's slightly shorter than he used to be before the transformation happened and is floating off the ground by the same amount). So that was probably one of the factors that drove everyone not scientifically inclined away in horror. Having a support network is less "business as normal" and more "the only way Almeisan functions anymore." He can still technically interact with things if he focuses really hard on keeping the boundary up between himself and the outside world but a slip in concentration can very easily screw things up. A lot of stuff now requires assistance from an outside party, voice control, etc. Had to switch to homeschooling because too many circumstances in which you could accidentally send someone's arm flying off into the vacuum of space and the school REALLY doesn't want to deal with that. Can't use any kind of transportation because the seat could vanish. Would cause a lot of problems with food, were it not for getting all the energy he needs internally. This kind of annoys Almeisan a lot.

Almeisan is much more interested in abstracted stuff than he used to be - you can't ice skate when you eat the skates but you can set up a system to automate actions in computer games, for example. This is sort of making him more vulnerable to peer pressure though - joining in on someone else's fun is an easy way for him to have fun.

Having superhero friends is also useful because for some reason there seems to be less of an effect in the proximity of powered individuals. Not just because a lot of them have super-endurance but the very fact of having powers seems to reinforce the stability of the surrounding area. Ironically this means Almeisan is less able to bring the pain against a supervillain or with a team, but that just means he can go full force in ways he would have to worry about otherwise and there don't have to be lawsuits about accidental amputations. And not have to worry about ruining the couch at the group's hangout place.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 17, 2018

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Auraboks posted:

Webway
Some solid story hooks, which is good. It seems like society has a bigger issue with you than vice versa, though? Tossing you in a jail cell overnight is a pretty reasonable reaction to drunken disorderlyness. I'd also like to know where you live — hijacking hotel rooms, slumming it on the streets or staying with someone from the team, etc.

That is partly intentional. Webway comes from a mostly destroyed future - even something like this currently seems like paradise her. She's sort of naive at the moment, much like an Innocent or Newborn she never had the time to acclimate to the present. However, given her relatively carefree nature, and coupled with the fact that laws were mostly meaningless and unenforceable in her timeline, I expect her find quite a lot of issues with society. Until then, she will stamp down on injustice as it happens, no matter who's doing it. Webway is likely going to crib from the Delinquent playbook at some point - I fully wrote her with that intention in mind.

As for where she lives - I haven't really thought too hard about it yet. I will likely base it on who ends up being her parent(s), as I wrote in the app - I intend for one of the other player characters (or two) to be her future parent(s), assuming people are okay with it. I feel it is an interesting angle, and having a character very loosely based on Cable with off-screen parents feels wrong. If that does not work out, she'll probably make due in any way she can - Webway is very much used to being on the move and sleeping wherever. In the future, a lot of threats come from the many depopulated cities, and opportunities to rest in something akin to a home base are few and far between.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

A pink covered book sits abandoned. Or lost. Or put to one side. Securely. Inside a hidden wall panel. The kind of place that anyone could happen across it! Anyone like, say Webway for instance.

It's pages make for interesting reading....

Reading like this

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Auraboks posted:

Reverie
This is a fun way to write, but it does come at the cost of clarity. Who are the Nine? Why do you answer to them? How did you lie to yourself in that interview? Why did you lie to the audience? How did fighting a dragon lead to you becoming a pop star? How long ago did you lose the Anthem? I get the feeling you know the answers to most of these already — clue me in!

(If I'm still not able to get my ideas across, I'll switch to OOC.)

"I suppose I should start by saying I'm a magic school dropout. Before I teamed up with Ruby, I was an Apprentice of the Order of the Beacon. They try to regulate the use of magic in the Americas, Europe, and for some reason, Antarctica. My master was a man named Leonard Starling, but you probably know him as Patch. He was a former AEGIS operative who had a notion to reform the Hero community, mainly by helping people who had slipped through its cracks. There are a lot of superpowered government agents (or ones who work with Hero teams) who were abandoned by their countries. Patch gave them a new home and organized them into a new group."

"...which eventually became the Nexus. Valvados had long since taken over when Patch started teaching me. We both agreed magic should be used for good, but rarely saw eye to eye on anything else. He saw this life as nothing but a burden, one which would eventually crush us under its weight. You know Patch has an enchanted wound that won't heal? I'm sure someone could help him (maybe one of Errant's friends?), but he refused to ask. He said it was penance for his misdeeds. Eventually, I gave up on him. And that got me declared persona non grata by Halcyon's magical community. They don't have many rules, but one of the more important ones is "be loyal to your Master."

"Luckily, Ruby got in touch with me soon after. I answer to her and not the Winged Nine, by the way. They're a council of magic users who lead a different order, the Knights of the Shield. They're not as big as the Beacon, but they are more superhero friendly. As you may have guessed, the Nine each have a title based on the angelic choirs. That aside, I'm Ruby's student only. And speaking of which, I didn't fight Valvados myself. What I did was turn the tide of that battle. I sang my heart out, and people who were near death got up and danced. Most of the news stations caught the whole thing. So did the big media companies."

"I lost the Anthem a few months ago, at the same time Valvados revealed that he wasn't gone for good. I'll spare you the gory details. The team I was with ran for it, but Ruby didn't. Even so, she couldn't stop him from absorbing a good chunk of my life energy. Which brings us to that interview. Ugh. I used to think it was silly when bad guys told heroes they "weren't so different" or "misguided fools". Leraje? He got to me. As he was bleeding out, he told me he could see what was in my heart. I'd lost the ability to boost the powers of other Heroes, but retained more than enough magic to hold my own as one. To too many people, that changed me from a mascot to a rival."

"...losing the Anthem taught me who my real friends were. But I was also losing my belief in Heroes, and Leraje knew it. My lie was telling myself and my audience that a demon lord wasn't absolutely right about me."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

By the time the interviewer has arrived, Kat is hard at work, doing maintenance on her motorbike. It takes her a while before she notices the person standing in front of her, "Huh? What was that?" She looks up from her bike, "An interview? Oh! Right! I almost forgot about that. You came a lot sooner than I thought you would. Just give me a sec here." Kat sets down her wrench on the floor before she gets back up on her feet, and reaches for the box of cigarettes in her pocket. She takes out a cigarette, placing in her lips, and lights it up, taking a pull from it before she says, "Okay, go ahead and ask me whatever questions ya got."

quote:

How did you get your powers?

"I got 'em 'bought the same time my sister did. Funny how that works out, huh?"

"It happened a few years ago, when I was heading back home with my sis. It was getting late, and the neighborhood we lived in wasn't one you'd ever call 'friendly.' That's when we heard a noise, coming from an alleyway right next to us. A couple took a wrong turn, and were unlucky enough to run into a couple of thugs who were ready to rough 'em up good."

"Most people would ignore it. They'd go on, and pretend like nothing was happening. But not me. If there's one thing ya need to know about me, it's this; I hate bullies. There ain't anything that gets my blood boiling more than seeing shitbags push over people weaker than them just so they could feel better about themselves. So I did the only thing I could do in that situation; I charged in, and socked one of 'em as hard as I could in the jaw! Isn't the smartest move, I know, and sure, even with my sister's help, we were outnumbered, 5 to 2, and they had more muscle than we did, but I wasn't going to sit around and do nothing when there's someone in danger!"

"One of the goons rushed at me with a knife, and there wasn't enough time for me to react. My sis jumped in front of me, ready to take the blow for me... but before the goon could drive his knife into her, there was this sudden flash of blinding light, and when I opened my eyes back up, I saw sis blocking the knife with a white, translucent shield. Another goon tried to go after my sis, but I jumped in this time to protect her, and there was another flash of light, and in my hands was a white sword, which I used to knock away his weapon. We both somehow managed to create weapons using pure psychic energy we never knew we had!"

"What happened next? We kicked their asses, that's what! We saved the day, and found out we had powers, too!"

"After that, me and sis spent the next few days testing out our powers. She found out she could form a psychic link with others to make 'em stronger, and as for me, I'm the complete opposite; Whenever I hit anything with my psychic sword, I can temporarily drain their powers. It's pretty sweet."

"Where's my sister now? Well," She pauses to take a long drag of her cigarette, "Let's just say me and her went our separate ways after we had a little "disagreement" about how we'd handle our powers."

quote:

What do you do for fun?

"Working on this baby here," she pats her bike, "If there's one thing I love more than kicking rear end, it's riding my bike. There's a real freedom out there on the road that you don't get anywhere else. I get to where I want to go, doing what I wanna do, living life how I wanna live it."

"Aside from that? Partying. Lots and lots of partying. Gotta make sure ya live life to the fullest, y'know? Life is short, so why not have as much fun with it as ya can?"

"...Huh? What about the posters on the walls?" She looks back at all the shoujo-related anime posters that she hung up, "O-oh! T-those! T-t-those a-a-a-are, uh..." The previously confident Kat begins to look a little flustered, her cheeks turning slightly red from embarrassment, "Those are, uh, just something I found! Yep! That's all! I just thought I'd put 'em up for shits and giggles! That's it! It's not like I actually watch those shows! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!" Her face reddens even more when she notices that the person she's talking to isn't buying it, "...Okay, fine! I like watching anime but it's not like it's something I watch all the time! What kind of loser would spend an entire month bing-watching anime, huh!?"

"A-anyways, can we get to the next question? Please?"

quote:

Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?

"...You've probably guessed who it is by now, haven't you? It's my sister, Karen, but you might know her better as the Silver Knight."

"Sis' always been a real girl scout, always wanting to do things by the 'rules,' and she's always on my rear end about everything I do. So what if I happen to break a few laws? As long as we stop the bad guys, then why the hell does it matter so much?"

"There used to be a time when we got along, but not anymore. Like I said, we both ended up going our separate ways, doing our own things, but every now and then, she'll show up, and lecture me about how I "need to be better," and "heroes shouldn't be acting like this," or some poo poo. Ugh, gag me with a loving spoon. Yea, I might not be perfect, but at least I didn't turn into a loving tool like she is."

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?

"Because I'm better at it than most other so-called 'heroes.'"

"Sorry, I know that's a hard pill to swallow, but it's the truth. Unlike other "heroes," I don't let poo poo like "laws" and "rules" get in my way. I make the choices other people are too scared to make, and I don't hold myself back just because society tells me to, and you better believe I'll do whatever I drat well can to win, and if you don't like it? Then tough poo poo. I don't give a gently caress if you like it or not. I handle things my own way, and I don't give a poo poo if other people think it's right or not."

quote:

"Because we're all a bunch of real rear end-kickers, that's why! They're a kick-rear end crew who know how to have fun (most of 'em, anyways), and have you seen them? There's some real hotties on our team who I can't wait to get to know better."

quote:

Kat's expression immediately turns sour from the question. She takes another long pull from her cigarette before she answers, "...Me and my sister? We were orphans. Our parents were heroes, but they were killed in the line of duty."

"Do you wanna know what the government did for us after our parents passed away? Abso-loving-lutly nothing. They told us our parents were brave people, and their "sacrifice" wasn't in vain, and that was loving it. They left two orphan girls, who didn't have their parents anymore, to fend for themselves. Do you know how much we had to struggle just to get by? We went through hell just to survive. Our parents being 'great heroes' apparently meant jack-poo poo to the government."

"And here's the biggest joke of them all; They didn't start paying attention to us until after we got our powers. That's when they finally started "caring" about our well-being, and my sister? She gladly took their help, and as for me? I spat right in their face. They didn't do a drat thing for us, and now they expect me to help 'em out after they've ignored us for so loving long? gently caress 'em. Those bastards can rot in hell for all I care. I'll do things my own drat way, and I'll do it without their drat help."

The Delinquent posted:

Hero Name: Silverbird
Look: woman, white, laughing eyes, rebellious clothing, showy costume

Ability:
❑ psychic weapons
❑ power negation

Labels:
Danger +1
Freak +0
Savior -1
Superior +2
Mundane +1

Moves:
❑ I don’t care what you think!: Whenever you reject others’ Influence, add +2 to your roll.

❑ Troublemaker: When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal, or rule-breaking actions, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.

❑ Are you watching closely?: When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you get an opportunity
- you expose a weakness or flaw
- you confuse them for some time
- you avoid further entanglement
On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Moment of Truth:
This is when you show them what you really are. Whether you’re the hero underneath the rebel facade...or the one who can make the hard choices heroes can’t make. You do whatever it takes to show that truth, whether it’s saving the day from a terrible villain or stopping a bad guy once and for all. Of course, once you’ve shown what you really are, there’s no going back to playing the clown...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Relationships:
You keep trying to impress _________________ with your antics.
You and ________________ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together

Influence:
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 21, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mantid, the Outsider

quote:

Where do you come from?

"Yes! Hi! Greetings! Hello! My homeworld is called... hmmm... it's hard for most humanoids not bearing manidbles to correctly vocalized. Upsetting social gaffe. Considering accetable substitute from list of available options - ah! It translates into the Trade Tongue which then translates in English as The Colony. Yes! I am from The Colony. It is the home to the towering sentient bio-organic hive cities of my people. It is most beautiful. Having evolved tear ducts for my time on this planet, recollecting their beauty causes me to want to discharge clear liquid."

quote:

Why did you come to Earth?

"Hasty but sincere reassurance - it's strictly peaceful! My race is... no, pacificism is inaccurate. We defend ourselves to the point that the threat is no longer present - whatever form that may take... hm... unforseen intended sinister overtones. Hasty apologies. Regardless, the Colony as a whole is very interested in other species, as potential allies and estimating possible threats and that is why I and many of my brood were sent out to nearby - relatively speaking of course for our technology but not nearby at all for your technology no offense re: compartiively primitive technology intended your species hasn't been doing this that long - habitable planets.

Potential contradiction - while I am of the Colony's soldier caste I can assure you that I have been highly trained in the use of diplomacy and contacting other cultures! Why it would be now unthinkable for me to extend my razor sharp mandibles and sever your head from your shoulders at the offense of adding what you term honey to your meals like some common condiment GAH wait that was me deploying humor please allow color to return to your cheek pouches."

quote:

Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?

"Warning to brace for extreme auditory levels inbound. THIS PLACE IS SO AMAZING! Everything... everhyone gets to be so different. My people are a... ahem... I believe termed a 'hive mind' by any stretch as we are all free to choose what path we are given available to us by virtue to the caste we are born into without recourse, but there are many subtle options. For instance, as I am in the soldier caste did I want to specalize in melee combat? Ranged combat? Vehicular assault? Siege-breaking? As long as it revolved around being in the social caste, my options were limitless in life so it's not that bad except perhaps I think now maybe it is because here on Earth one may do whatever they feel like?

"Example offered - your high and low learning institutions, elective courses are offered. Elective! Learning about something with no direct correlation to your field of study! Younger students are free to select of course of action based soley on their own whims! THAT IS INSANITY AND I CANNOT LOVE IT MORE WITH MY ENTIRE HEMOLYMPH DELIVERY ORGAN. And so much time is spent on manifestly USELESS things! Like your popular cultures! Entire careers are devoted to them! To things that do nothing and do not technically exist! HOW DOES YOUR RACE FUNCTION IT IS AMAZING!"

quote:

Why do your people want you to come home?

"Ah. Well. Embarrassment is not a human emotion. My... brood progenitors are... somewhat... set in the ways of the Colony. Analogy required. Their rank in the military of the Colony is... hmm... specific. Specifically Generals. While bread over countless millenia to be the unbreakable bulwark against threats to the Colony, please do not misunderstand. They are kind and loving, and want what they consider the best for me which is for me to take my place with the rest of my brood-siblings at the side of their extremely elite combat legion which I totally want to do... eventually. However... there is too much to see. Too much to do. After a preliminary report my brood-dame insisted that there was nothing left to learn. My brood-sire also agreed, because of a long discussion with my brood-dame and also pheremones possibly."

quote:

"...care. Care? Oh! Show concern/admiration/romantic emotional spectrum towards them! Humor was engaged. My race knows what caring means. They were the ones who taught me my initial findings were worthy of further study, that not only was humankind this - sincere flattery incoming - chaotic and anarchic mess that would frankly baffle the Colony as to how your race were able to advance to the point domesticate livestock let alone sometihng like nuclear fission but to see it in action and take part alongside it? That is... snyonmym for 'amazing' needed at overuse of word. That is... that is... searching... THAT IS RAD."

quote:

"I was... bred for my purpose. To performance advanced recon for the Colony, specifically the soldier caste and once my task is finished I will return home and serve in whatever capacity is required as dictated by my talents. There is no choice in this matter. I could not join the ruling cast or the artisan caste or the gatherer caste. I was bred to fight. My personal feelings are irrelevant. Perhaps I might decide, with experience, that I do want to serve alongside my brood in combat but the fact that the option to delcine is not available it... hurts. Now that I've seen a race that embraces choice, it hurts. I... ah, there is the clear liquid discharge from my tear ducts. Additional sadness indicator of drooping antenna detected.

Oh. Did you mean your society?"

quote:

Hero Name: Mantid
Real Name: Mostly unpronounceable with a lot of clicks and some scent identifiers. Starts with something approaching 'Z' and a few 'E' vowel sounds, so goes by Zoe. Last name of Green, for obvious reasons.
Look: Woman, human body, animalistic eyes, average clothing, your people's uniform

Abilities: Stunning beauty or pheremones, alien weaponry

Labels:
Danger -1
Freak +2
Savior 0
Superior +2
Mundane -1

Moves:
Alien tech: When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect.

Kirby-craft: You have a vehicle, something from your home. Detail its look, and choose two strengths and two weaknesses. When you are flying your ship, you can use it to unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using Superior.
Strengths: Chameleon plating, powerful weaponry,
Weaknesses: Bizarre fuel source (antimatter), difficult to repair

The best of them: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they exemplify the best parts of Earth, roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Moment of Truth
You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships
You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with _____________.
You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence
Choose your demeanor: Cheerful.
If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 19, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Behold, dear readers: the netjiru are dying! Read on, and find out how even divinities might face death!

The gods of the Nile had no grand prophecy of the end, foretold no disaster to end their story! Immortality was their way, to live in endless cycles to overcome death just as Osiris had! And though their Earthly empire might have faded, the heroic age of modern times woke them from their complacency. Indeed, many readers already know of how Thoth took up a role in the 1960s as Earth's mystical defender for decades, advising the rising tide of heroes on matters ancient and esoteric! And if you didn't know about his comic- well, you've been missing out on one senses-shattering tale... but you didn't come here to hear our sales pitch! You came here for amazing answers!

But the gods did not return for worship! For when a mortal can lift a mountain, the gods found peers rather than pawns. Some fought the good fight as they always had, while others schemed in their ancient, sinister ways. Their adventures have been chronicled at length in our panels, after all! But when Starog the Void Beast left a trail of destruction across the galaxy, Thoth and his allies - both mortal and divine - sallied forth on the Cosmic Barge of the Sun to confront it. But Starog had swallowed stars, and even the channeled power of the sun alone was not enough to do more than wound the galactic predator, shockingly! As the Barge capsized under the event horizon of Starog's jaws, it was Bastet - yes, Bastet, that thieving troublemaker who had bedeviled Thoth as much as bewitched him - that turned the tide. As Ra fled the battle, cowardice gripping him as his mighty vessel crumbled, Bastet stole his Eye of Ra, and wielded it in desperation. Feeding all her divine power into it, she became a claw of light that crippled the cosmic destroyer. The resulting detonation allowed the assembled heroes of Earth to drive the beast far beyond our galaxy, leaving it with a crippling fear of starlight to this day!

With the destruction of the Cosmic Barge, the gods of ancient Egypt were scattered to the winds, changed, the last source of their divine power lost. Some landed on faraway worlds, some fell to Earth weakened, and others were simply lost in space. Ra survived, but the wound of his shame would twist his very soul. Moreover, he soon realized that without the Cosmic Barge, the gods of ancient Egypt had lost their last anchor of unending power! Perhaps with the Eye of Ra he might have been able to sustain himself selfishly, but all he could do is curse Bastet's name. Bastet, his own daughter! Still, he became one of the greatest heroes of one of the world's greatest cities - Halycon City! For even with the doom that awaited him, Ra had always desired power, and not even his eventual end could keep him from it!

The Earth has seen quiet and control. There are crises, but the heroes have dealt with them in their own inestimable way! Over a decade has passed, but there is now a fly in the ointment of Halycon City - Bastet! Reborn to youth, along with her conscience and courage, she acts as a defender of the weak and poor. And I'm sure you're wondering what Ra thinks of this... well, he does not like it one bit! Not at all! His rage is unreasoning as it is unjust! For Bastet seems to have left behind the "femme fatale" persona and even her memories of her later years - a persona so odd one might attribute it to sloppy writers of decades past - for her original role as a protector. But what is her origin? Well, take heed, for here it will be revealed - for the first time!

You see, Thoth had survived, horribly wounded. Though he recovered, he knew he had precious little time left. With a ritual, he gathered up what he could of Bastet's remaining power - along with that of the Eye of Ra - to reincarnate her from dreams of the past, before the years of lost devotion had worn upon her psyche. He mentored her as a hope for the future, even though the terrible truth was clear. All of them were fading from Earth! The more they used their power, the quicker the end came. Even as he lay dying, Thoth never told of her her true origins, hoping her own belief might sustain her longer. And even with the clock ticking, the divine force she has is still enough to impress and shock! But it is limited, and one day, barring a miracle beyond miracles, she and the rest of the House of the Gods will fade into humanity's memory. But until that day, Halycon has a true hero, seeking to release it from Ra's claws - the kid Bastet!

pre:
Name: (Kid) Bastet		Playbook: Doomed		Nemesis: (Dad) Ra

Abilities: Divine Strength and Speed, Feline Domain, Wadjet Eye

Danger +1	Freak +1	Savior +1	Superior +0	Mundane +0

Doom (❑❑❑❑❑): You’re doomed. Your divine star is fading from the world as the ancient magics 
wane. The following brings your doom closer.

❑ overexerting yourself		❑ talking about it openly

Whenever you bring your doom closer, mark one box on your doom track. When your doom track fills,
clear it and take one of your doomsigns.

Doomsigns: These are abilities that come to you with your approaching doom. Once you have taken all
five doomsigns above the line, you must take “Your doom arrives” the next time your doom track
fills.

❑ Bolstered: Mark your doom track to use an Adult Move one time.

Sanctuary: You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. Choose three
features of your sanctuary: a scattering of ancient relics; teleportal; art, music, and food

Choose two downsides of your sanctuary: location known to many, tied intricately to your doom

When you call upon the resources of your sanctuary to solve a problem, say what you want to do.
The GM will give you one to four conditions you must fulfill to complete your solution:

❑ First, you must _______________________
❑ You’ll need help from ___________________
❑ You and your team will risk danger from ______
❑ The best you can do is a lesser version, unreliable and limited
❑ You’ll need to mark one box on your doom track
❑ You’ll have to obtain ___________________

Nemesis: You have a nemesis, an epic and powerful enemy representing and embodying your doom. It’s
going to take everything you have to take them down in the time you have left. At the end of every
session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your nemesis? If the answer is yes,
mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, give them Influence over you and spend 1 Team
from the pool to clear one box on your doom track.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask if
they honestly think there’s hope for you. If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box of your
doom track. If they say no, mark a condition or mark your doom track.

Moment of Truth: The prickly tingling fear of your doom, always in your head—it holds you back
most of the time. But right here, right now? It gives you the confidence to do anything. After all,
what’s the worst that could happen? Is it worse than your doom? Do impossible things. Do anything.
But mark a doomsign after you’re finished.
• When did you first learn of your doom?

"Why, I would ask the same of you! Arrogance, to even think to ask me- hahaha, the look on your face. It's fine. But you only get to ask once. Saying makes it so. Belief makes it so. Denial gives me power?

that's a divine pun

... Thoth told me. He made it clear we didn't have forever anymore without the Cosmic Barge and the Eye of Ra. We're like a jug being emptied in a time of drought. Plain as a glyph. Now that that's out of the way we can never ever ever ever talk about it again. It's time to live, not... well, it's time to live!"

• Where did you get your sanctuary?

"Huh? The House of Bast has always been mine. Any cat knows the way, though... they don't get to enter until they've gone to a farm upstate. The temple's filled with ah... things taken by my previous self. I'd love to return them all, but I don't have the time because of the thing we can't talk about. The House is... a dream of the past, back when people came to give tribute. Oh, tribute still arrives, I... from where? I haven't really had time to check. Because of that thing. That we aren't. Talking. About. Again.

No, it doesn't smell! Why? Because I'm a goddess and wish it to be decent for two-legged visitors and they're just cat souls, anyway. I'm a cat lady, but not a crazy one. And that's reason enough, isn't it?"

• Why do you oppose your nemesis?

"Ask him. He's so angry at me for what my previous self did. And... it's not right. I think he was always hungry for power, and now he's just desperate and a bit terrifying.

Sometimes he asks if I have the Eye. I don't! At least... I think I don't. Pretty sure I don't. Hm. One thing I'm sure of is what really goes on with Ra. Cats see! He meets with those with heavy hearts, and it's like the only law he respects is power. Sure, he fights evil... that doesn't pay tribute. Bend knee and he'll let you go free! What happened to you, dad? I don't really remember what he was like before, except in glimpses. Has he changed? I don't even know. Bugs me.

But this is the responsibility of the gods. And since there aren't any others nearby to ask, it's up to me. But you're lucky. It's me, Bastet!"

• Who, outside of the team, is crucial to defeating your nemesis?

"Where is Isis? She knows Ra's secret name. Oh. That'd be great to know! Um, but we don't know where she went, or even if she survived. But she always hated Ra anyway, wanted Horus to take his place. Maybe she was right about him all along, that it wasn't sure her being jealous like the books say. I only get glimpses of the old times. Still, the old days were full of patriarchy. So she probably got a bad deal to begin with.

I don't even know where to start. But getting her would be a big get!"

• Why does the team matter to you?

"I don't have a pantheon or a family anymore. And I need to do what I do in my last days, but I also want to enjoy them. And to enjoy my last days, I need others to share it with. It's not all just the final battle against Ra. It's also the final battle in Rocket League. Or the final battle against a towering milkshake. It's not all just goddess this and goddess that but it is totally about being a goddess when I smite you for poaching the last of the oreos. I have a little time. It's for making things better for others. And for me. And... truth be told, I don't have to use as much of my power. So it's a little selfish. I get longer if I'm with others. Maybe if I help them out, it won't be so selfish.

Also if the big 'heroes' of this city are united against us, we need to be double united against them. Like a pride."

"Bastet, defender of women and children. It's what it says in a book, but... it's not so good for a lot of them. It's hard trying to keep up with that kind of thing. There's only so much being a butt-booting divine being and an army of cats can do. But I try and make sure they're not stuck on the streets, and that they get what they need. Don't worry, I'm returning to my old stealey ways. The stuff goes to to them, not me. Well, most of it. Like ninety percent! Gods need a little tribute.

Is it a waste of my power? Maybe I can't do that much, but I have to do a thing. And the cats help a lot, help me report things to the others. Even if I'm not going to be, I have to be me. Anything other than what dad is like."

Auraboks posted:

Kid Bastet

Your beef isn't very personal. It's an issue you care about, but it doesn't seem like you've ever been on the powerless side of it — was there ever a time when adults should have been there for you, but weren't? How old are you, physically and mentally? Were you incarnated as you are now, or did you go through the whole "baby" phase? Is Thoth still around?

"My... beef?

It hasn't been easy since it's been back. Thoth didn't have his Sanctum, it got repossessed for... "dangerous artifacts". Of course he had dangerous artifacts! He couldn't trust them with- with- well, um. It's already done and lost. He made a new Sanctum, hid in the lost places of the city. That's where I "grew up". So I know a lot of people who are lost... either, you know, lost to the city or lost within themselves. It's not a place the people at the top even see, which is what Thoth needed, but it's also not real pretty. But it can be beautiful when people reach out to each other. Most people are good people! Just... more sad and desperate and hungry here. But people are still good. I'm not powerless, I know. But to a god, this is like... as far as you can fall, and still be. And I know Cirila, who owns the local corner store and knows her employees steal from it, Olavur, who fixes up cheap space heaters and gives them away in his spare time, or Mirabelle, who ran away and ended up getting into underground fights, works watching local businesses, too. A lot of people know who I am and look out for me. And cats look out for them.

I've been this way since I came back a year or two ago- it still feels strange to count years! We don't really do the helpless baby thing unless a legend demands it, I think. Time doesn't always flow the same way for us, Thoth said, we move in cycles and... maintain those cycles. I think he hopes the fading will mean we all come back someday. I'm not so sure. We don't look after the cycles anymore. We just... you know... are. Oh, right, you had questions!... I'm like an adolescent. Twelve? Thirteen? Fourteen? Mentally... mm. I guess I'm the same? Except. You know, a god, so I understood a lot from rebirth about the things gods need to know. Cycles. Processes. Cats. Things like that. Sometimes I feel much older, like I'm drawing upon all my past selves, but only for moments. Doing that makes things go faster. Being like I am, it's like a survival mechanism, Thoth says. It helps me last longer. But... you don't get taken real seriously like this! It really sucks sometimes.

Like when I tried to tell the Saviors about Ra, you know, Thoth warned me. I should have listened. I thought they'd want to know what he was up to with everything. Mr. Ree - he's a wizard - listened to me, and we actually like, met a few times as I tried to convince him... and he just wouldn't listen. But I thought I was getting through? I... when Thoth started to fade, I didn't know what to do. He said there wasn't anything we could do, so... so I met with Mr. Ree. He said he could try and help Thoth, but, then all of the Saviors showed up instead. Including Ra. I had to run. They weren't going to save him. They just wanted to finally catch him. I watched from above, and he just... he just stayed strong before he went away. I kind of lost it, and my tears nearly got me, I- I- y'know- uh-

- I- can't trust Mr. Ree or the others. At all. Cirila and the other may not have capes, but they're w-way better people t-than... than... that..."

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 20, 2018

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Last day, everybody! If you want to slide something in before the deadline, now's the time! I'll set the formal cutoff time to when I wake up on Monday, which is about 21 hours from now.

Also, some feedback on the latest three. Since time is running short, don't sweat it if you don't have time to respond.

Silverbird
Did you grow up in the system, or did the government straight up leave you on the streets? If the latter, how did you manage to slip through the cracks so badly? If the former, do you have any fond memories from the orphanage, or was it all crap? Your sister seems like a support-type fighter — who does she usually team up with, and why doesn't she understand what a shitheel they are?

Mantid
I did mean our society! Have you been here long enough for society's problems to affect you? Who were the first humans you met, and how did they react? Earth is obviously very different from the Colony, but do you see any similarities? Good or bad?

Kid Bastet
Your beef isn't very personal. It's an issue you care about, but it doesn't seem like you've ever been on the powerless side of it — was there ever a time when adults should have been there for you, but weren't? How old are you, physically and mentally? Were you incarnated as you are now, or did you go through the whole "baby" phase? Is Thoth still around?

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Reverie, the Star

"Why did I think this would make me feel better?! It's just making me feel worse!" Reverie dropped a thick folder onto her desk.

"Grim determination isn't much of a substitute for joy, either. But it's better than nothing."

"After we're done here, I'm going to blast these dossiers into ash."

"Kid..."

"I'm not letting this information fall into the wrong hands, Ruby."

quote:

Webway, the Harbinger
"Uuuugh...I did not need to know the world would be ending in twenty years. But she's the one who had to live through it, on top of having a repeat hanging over her head. Remind me to get her a milkshake."

quote:

Exo, the Protege

"How do I even begin to tell her that she's right about the company? The...same probably applies to her father, too. You can't make someone into a hero, no matter what some idiots say. They have to want this life. I met NightShift, once, and I thought the guy was hiding something. I didn't think it would be this. I'm never complaining about my parental figures again..."

quote:

Clatterclaw, the Bull

"Nothing justifies this. Nothing. Someday soon, the people who did this to Rachel are going to know what the true ends of their means are and...Rubes, make sure no one sees these, okay? I can't do this right now..."

quote:

Almeisan, the Transformed

"Sigh. Well, I'm back."

"It is possible she could be restored to life. Even more so that she could find happiness in the one she has. But it won't be easy."

"Mmhmm. I'm learning so much more crap from these dossiers than I ever wanted to know. They don't have superpower testing in my school (then again, I go to a fancy private one). At least he's handling it okay. I'm still going to put out a call for someone to help keep his powers under control. This is more than anyone should have to deal with. Depending on how his new form works, I think some kind of personal barrier would at least let him touch things without destroying them."

quote:

Chameleon, the Janus

"Do you think it would help to focus our patrols on Kingston Heights? We'd have to ask Chameleon's advice, but I figure if we succeed in making the district safer and generate a lot of press for it, we might get the more famous heroes interested in doing the same."

quote:

Pandora, the Nova

"...If I ever get my full powers back, remind me not to use them. I don't mean around Pandora. Just in general. Looking back, the first time I used the Anthem was a fluke. There have been way too many times when people have asked me for a power boost, then lost control. Magic sometimes..."evolved" when I enhanced it. Gravity manipulation becoming spacetime manipulation, for example. Pandora does not need that kind of help. And I think she'd rather have someone to hang out with."

quote:

iyEMPiy, the Delinquent

"I don't think he's ready for this. He needs a better home life and to get clean. Joining a Hero team isn't going to help with his problems."

quote:

Errant, the Legacy

"I was gearing up for a fangirl squeal when she mentioned the Round Table was now a shadow of its former self. Sigh. The "official" origin of my powers involves the Arthurian legend, by the way. Tapping into the latent potential for magic possessed by all sapient beings isn't, apparently, as marketable as succeeding a magical tradition led by Morgan Le Fay."

quote:

"Dammit. I wish there was something I could do for her and Karen. They're sisters. They shouldn't be going through life without each other."

"You're thinking about Leonard's boy, aren't you?"

"I guess. You've probably figured it out by now, but my parents broke up. It was before I was even old enough to know the difference. And I'm an only child. When I first signed on with the Beacon, I thought I'd found a father and brother in them. After Leonard retired from teaching, Jake also hung up his mask and started going to a regular high school. I should give him a call."

quote:

Mantid, the Outsider

"With all the crap that's been going on, I'm glad someone's having a good time. I'm just worried we (as in humanity and all other sapient beings who call Earth home) won't live up to her expectations. I mean, we won't, but we should at least put our best foot forward. There's a lot we could learn from her people. They can't be any less relatable than dragons or faeries."

quote:

Kid Bastet, the Doomed

"Ruby? You ever feel like life is getting more and more complicated with each passing second?"

"Uh, yeah. And I've been at this a long time, kid. I knew her predecessors."

"That sounded like a plural. ...You know what? Don't explain. I'm sure I'll find out whether I want to, or not."

quote:

Namorine, the Outsider

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 21, 2018

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

The Interviewer posted:

Where do you come from?

I hail from the Res Publica of Atlantis. Contrary to reports in your media releases, we are not a lost city, kingdom, empire, or other imperial structure. I am sure that fits your 'fairy tale' idea of 'mermaids' and 'Atlantis', but only betrays how little you surface creatures care for our way of life. As if the sheer weight of waste you have happily spoil our waters with and the heavy metals you feed into our ecosystem were not proof enough already. But I suppose when you have little care for your fellow human what chance would we Atlantians have?

I digress. The Res Publica of Atlantis is a confederation of self-governing nations spanning what you call the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic and Southern oceans, as well as their seas, gulfs, and straits. Near enough to every body of water on our planet holds a state with its own unique culture. You see, Atlantis is not just one city and one peoples but many cities and many peoples who have come together as one. Mutualistic symbiosis sees many ocean species flourish and we would be foolish to ignore nature so brazenly.

Though each member is largely independent we share one border, a common currency, and each has agreed to mutual foreign policy, defence, policing and justice concordats. Overseeing this all is our Archon, of whom's family I am a member. This is where I come from, without peer the greatest civilisation on our planet.

The Interviewer posted:

Why did you come to Earth?

Ignoring your geocentric view of life and society to name the entire planet after the hard rock surface you alone in inhabit, I came to the surface to discover my heritage. It… recently came to my attention that the people who I thought were my parents, the Kerguelen Magistri, had actually only adopted me as a hatchling after I was left orphaned. They had just been my caretakers for all these years. Forget that I was not a blood member of the royal family, I was not a full blooded Atlantian at all. My powers and abilities being far different to most normal Atlantians, which I thought my royal blood were the cause of? No. Well, in a fashion, yes, it was due to my parentage. Just not the parents I thought I had.

My real mother was part of the plenipotentiary detail during Recontact and had taken a human mate during her time on the surface. All in secret, I presume, as I know for a fact such close contact with surface creatures has never been allowed. After falling in love with a human and with diplomatic efforts having failed, my mother must have eloped with my human father somewhere on land to remain together. Where exactly I do not know, nobody is aware of their current location. Or if they're even still together. Or alive. I did not get many exact details, if the information even exists it was withheld from me. All I know is that I was live-born, not hatched like normal, and some time after that I was separated from them both.

But do not think this is entirely a selfish endeavour to find out about my heritage, I hope that so much more can come from this sojourn. As past attempts at diplomacy have been less than successful, I hope that my being half-human will bridge the gap between our peoples so to speak. Where official channels collapses perhaps a less orthodox representative can achieve some common union. And, well, if my heritage can manage some small diplomatic victory it would help heal my heart a great deal.

The Interviewer posted:

Why do you want to stay here? (For now at least)

With all due respect to you surface dwellers, you need people like me to enlighten you and show you there is a better way. There is not a single region of Atlantis that is not superior to your lands, in people, technology, society, philosophy, any marker of civilisation you care to mention. Your countries are lead by war hungry barbarians spoiling for conflict. Your leaders constantly bicker amongst one another over the most petty and banal issues. Only the most basic intergovernmental cooperation has started and even that looks to fall apart. Your U.N is a toothless shadow and your E.U is tearing itself to pieces again. You fear what is different rather than trying to understand and learn from it.

Most in the my waters do not even want to engage with humanity. Far too often has the surface turned on the seas. But there must be a reason to why this is all happening, why you humans are so human, and by staying on land with you I can find it out. I am still a member of the royal family, and it is still my duty to lead my people by example. My father loved my mother. If an average, normal human is capable of that then there is something worthwhile to be found on the surface.

The Interviewer posted:

Why do your people want you to come home?

I am a well beloved member of the royal family, both in Kerguelen and in greater Atlantis. Of course my people would want me to return and stand with them. After I challenged my caretakers with the fact surrounding my conception, they both assured me that I still have my place with them even though I am not of their blood. Or of full Atlantian blood. Even the Archon himself made it known that I was still in every way it mattered a member of his family. Considering that I scarcely see him more than twice a year, the pronouncement was a little surprising.

It was explained to me that the Archon views my existence as something of a personal failing, that I would have parents with no need to orphan me or hide if diplomatic overtures had succeeded years ago. I imagine he sees me on the surface as just a volatile situation out of his control, so naturally he too wants me to remain at home. But I don't need his pity, and I don't want his table scraps because he feels sorry for me. If I need to stay on land to get closer to my father's side and see who I really am, then come hell or low water that's what I'll do.

The Interviewer posted:

I do not view all on the surface as backward fools. Certainly, some are more misguided than most. Usually the higher up they are in leadership positions. But others are positive paragons attempting to enact greater change for the better of all. This team I am involved with are pursuing a truly noble goal despite the obvious difficulties of such lofty aims. Striving for the truth no matter how uncomfortable it may be, fighting back against the fat, lazy, corrupt lies of society. For obvious reasons right now, that very much appeals to me. If I can support them and this cause, change the way the surface world works, then it is my duty to do so. Who knows, perhaps others will follow the lead of our team and push back against their strongmen and oligarchs.

The Interviewer posted:

Injustice of society is why I do not know my parents, and why I am the only half-human half-atlantian on our planet. And while it might not be an injustice, I can hardly say it is fair I got elevated to the royal family for no other reason than the Archon feeling sorry for me. I must hide my true form with my shapeshifting abilities while on the surface, for fear of greater society refusing to accept an Atlantian.

But it is not even the fact that this façade below my station as Atlantian royalty. I am effectively persona non grata in the surface world. Despite being half-human, I am accorded no human rights. The part of me that breathes water renders the part of me that breathes air moot. It is only with my accepting very stringent conditions concerning my supervision, and that I can alter my physical form to appear to be far more human-like than most of my kin, that I have been allowed on land to the extent that I have.

While I recognise I am for more fortunate than most, injustice still exists in both our societies.

The Outsider posted:

Hero Name: Namorine
Look: Woman, Animalistic Body, Glowing Eyes, Mismatched Clothing, Humanising Costume
Abilities: Fly, Pretty Strong, Hydrokinesis, Radical Shapeshifting

Labels

[+1] Freak
[+0] Danger
[+0] Saviour
[+2] Superior
[+0] Mundane

Moves

Belong in Two Worlds
You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
- clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home

Alien Ways
Whenever you openly disregard or undermine an important Earth custom in favor of one of your own people’s customs, shift Superior up and any other Label down.

Kirby-craft

You have a vehicle, something from your home. Detail its look, and choose two strengths and two weaknesses. When you are flying your ship, you can use it to unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using Superior.
Strengths: Powerful weaponry, regenerating
Weaknesses: Easily detectable, slow and clumsy

Moment of Truth

You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

We didn't trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships

You've been learning about Earth by spending time with ____.

You have a crush on _____ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence

Choose your demeanour: haughty or cheerful.

If you're haughty, you think you're better than them. Give no one Influence.

Robodog fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 20, 2018

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

quote:

Namorine, the Outsider

If I ever wanted to see a face never again, it would be Namorine. Or, perhaps, more to the point: Archon Namorine, the Conqueror.

Namorine is one of the biggest problems in the future. With so many places depopulated by Ascensions super-plague, she and her rotten kin swooped in to stomp on what's left. Conquering what's left and use the resources for future conquests. Her future counterpart already has a stranglehold on all of South America, and she's been eyeing the rest of America ever since. She's already pretty drat powerful as is, and her nature as a hybrid is only going to make her stronger in the future.

If we were doing things my way, she's one of the first that need to be stopped.

quote:

Kid Bastet

There are no gods. If there were, the future would not be the way it is. Bastet is no god, merely a delusional kid.

Her supposed father isn't much better. He's powerful, but I care little for what he does. He isn't doing what really matters.

What I'm saying is, either those two are not gods, or they are a waste of space undeserving of worship. No god worth a drat would let what happen in the future happen to their followers.

quote:

Mantid, the Outsider

Out of all the people I would not have expected to not have a problem with, it's the scary mantid fellow. Believe it or not, they and their species were a real help in the future. Helped provide basic needs for survivors, get them together again, and fought threats for us.

They're alright in my book! If only they'd drop that annoying way of speaking, though.

quote:

I agree with her way of thinking. Staying within the boundaries of the rules is only useful as long as the rules don't interfere with doing good. This is the entire logic superheroes operate on - after all, what they are doing is technically vigilantism, which is illegal.

Also has a great personality in general. I want to bike with her sometime. Finding a working bike in the future, with some fuel on it, was a goddamn miracle find in the future. Gas stations and oil pumps aren't exactly priorities when you're fighting to just survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

"so you're saying there were some late additions to the process? Yeah. "So you didn't just rush out and miss them because you were late for work?" Umm I plead the 3rd "it's the 5th I plead the 5th don't say you've been skipping on your constitutional homework as well..." Look can we just do this I have places to go.

Reverie posted:

Oh, her. She's just some stuck up celebrity who's never done a real days work in her life. Have you seen that ridiculous show she does? and that outfit? How the hell do you even fight in something like that? She dresses like the stripper version of a magician. She wouldn't last five minutes in the Heights and she knows it. She's just slumming it so she can get more fans and then she'll dump us for the next cool thing to come along.

Silverbird posted:

Silverbird huh, I've heard good things about her. Didn't know she was related to the Silver Knight though although they do look a lot alike. Still once I got the full story I was furious. Not at her but at the whole hero community. These were the children of their own and they abandoned them. Who the hell does that? I mean sure the Heights has a bad rap and rightly so but we look after our own. I hope I get to be there when she shows two fingers to the whole hero community.

Mantid posted:

So an Alien. Yeah. Umm, So she's some sort of bug person. Is she even a she? Or am I committing some sort of terrible diplomatic mistake calling her that? Still she seems kind of cool I suppose. I wonder what we look like to someone from the outside. Does she see how screwed up we make each other? Does she look down on us?

Kid Bastet posted:

So she's an Egyptian goddess or the reincarnation of one. Or at least someone doing a really good job of pretending to be one. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole idea of gods walking around. I think I prefer atheism to all that crap. Still being screwed over for something you didn't do by someone more powerful than you grinds my gears. Even if we don't team up I wish her the best of luck with her crusade.

Namorine posted:

Her. She's such a stuck up bitch. "oh my people are totally superior to all you land-monkeys." Well when I want some watery tart who stinks of fish opinion I'll ask her for it. I mean seriously what right does some royal princess have showing up to tell us all how to live our lives? She's never had to struggle for anything in her life it's all been handed to her on a platter.

• Locked thread