Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I tried a game as savoy and maybe im missing something but how do you do anything? If i try and expand in any direction i get aggressive expansioned to oblivion. Is there a trick i havent got yet as a newbie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I tried a game as savoy and maybe im missing something but how do you do anything? If i try and expand in any direction i get aggressive expansioned to oblivion. Is there a trick i havent got yet as a newbie

HRE provinces count double for AE. Combined with the fact that most of northern Italy is high dev provinces that already cost a lot of AE it makes expanding difficult until the Italian minors leave the empire en masse in 1490.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Having high AE isn't the end of the world. In order for a coalition to form against you, there need to be at least four countries in the world that meet these criteria:

-Doesn't have a truce with you
-Is not allied to you
-Has a negative opinion of you
-Has at least 50 AE against you

If there aren't at least four nations that meet these criteria, a coalition will never form, no matter how much AE you accrue. One of the best ways to prevent coalitions is to keep them in truces. Or you can improve relations with them to keep their opinion positive. Even if a coalition does form, if you're strong enough they won't even try to attack you.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

It's a tricky position, yes. Your options are basically:

1- Ally the Holy roman Emperor so you can nibble on other HRE nations, very slowly, and preferably when the emperor is busy with a war somewhere else.

2- Ally France or Castile+Aragon and rely on their big stick to let you cannibalize your other neighbors.

3- Ally whomever is France's biggest enemy at the moment and use them to eat French territory.

The Influence ideas tree has a talent that cuts AE by 20%, and it's a must-have when expanding in high-value, high-nation-density areas like Italy, Germany, and Northern India.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Am I the only person that doesn't like the mission revamp?

They seem fun for nations that actually got any of the new missions. For the other 300 tags it's utter bullshit.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's at least less bullshit than the old mission system, even for generics.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

It's at least less bullshit than the old mission system, even for generics.

Saying bye-bye to the recurring bonuses hurts a lot, though. The special tag-specific missions tend to make up for that, but if your tag doesn't have any? Too bad. Enjoy a dozen mediocre temporary bonuses spread throughout the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess, but other than the colonist rush I don't think any of the generic mission bonuses were that great.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The "free claim on rival" mission was extremely useful for generating a CB at the very start of the game and losing it has made a number of challenging starts even more difficult.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Some of the old missions were useful, but they weren't like "fun".

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

As someone who just started playing recently. The discovery that most places dont have mission trees was a shock. It definitely seems like it would be a good add for a lot of countries

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I think they're planning to add them to more countries as they release DLCs/patches focused on their respective areas. They were only added in the last one, which focused on Britain, so British countries got the most love, along with a few other major tags. I expect for example that a lot of Indian tags will get fleshed out trees with the next DLC.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wasn't it like this with National Ideas at the start too, where most of the countries except some favourites had generic ones? And then they worked on them and even accepted fan submissions for them?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Some of the old missions were useful, but they weren't like "fun".

Yeah but the new generic missions are neither useful nor "fun". Its a straight up downgrade for like 90% of starts.

I can't believe they couldn't give at least regional variations, like a colonial chain or the British dominate the HRE chain to Europeans

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Is it possible to find more than one of the seven cities per playthrough?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I tried an ottomans game and went full throttle as fast as possible. At one point I was fighting 4 coalitions at once. As one would declare war on me, another would start to form. Ottomans don't care, once you get good generals everything is food. One downside is that all my neighbors have been beggared and nations a little further out (spain, russia, france) are huge monsters at 1650.

Fister Roboto posted:

Having high AE isn't the end of the world. In order for a coalition to form against you, there need to be at least four countries in the world that meet these criteria:

-Doesn't have a truce with you
-Is not allied to you
-Has a negative opinion of you
-Has at least 50 AE against you

If there aren't at least four nations that meet these criteria, a coalition will never form, no matter how much AE you accrue. One of the best ways to prevent coalitions is to keep them in truces. Or you can improve relations with them to keep their opinion positive. Even if a coalition does form, if you're strong enough they won't even try to attack you.

Didn't know about this, makes the rolling coalitions make more sense

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

skasion posted:

Is it possible to find more than one of the seven cities per playthrough?

yes, but I believe they recently made finding a city give a bunch of development and a permanent buff to a New World province rather than giving your nation a buff

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Groogy, any chance we can get something like the new dilpo interface but for missionaries? I'm doing coptomans and managing my 5 missionaries constantly suuuuucks

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Is Rule Britannia considered a good buy?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dirk Pitt posted:

I enjoyed my UK playthrough with it, but I can't tell if it was because of the expansion or because of the patch that coincided with the expansion.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Dirk Pitt posted:

It adds very little other than dedicated more fun stuff for playing in the british isles as far as I am aware, so probably not?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rule Britannia is still full price in the current sale, and it seems to be the rule for immersion packs that they add very little unless you're playing one of a few special countries. It seems like a pretty bad deal to me.

Meanwhile I'm trying to justify my purchase of Cradle of Civilization just now. Mamluks sure seem powerful with it, maybe I can finally stand up to Otto Man?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Cradle of civilization at least has SOME changes that apply to Basically All Of Islam, it's MUCH wider ranging than the Britain and Russia ones.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hello i also have a suggestion: can you make it so countries you have a truce with show up as yellow or something in the coalition warning menu. or countries you don't have a truce with, whatever

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Which of the post Common Sense EU4 DLCs are worth picking up?

My understanding is that Third Time and Rule Brittania aren't really worth it unless you're playing in those areas a lot.

What about the Cossacks, Mandate of Heaven, and Cradle of Civilization? Are those any good? Are estates as tedious as they look?

I know Rights of Man is good because I've got it, and Mare Nostrum doesn't add much.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I don’t know this game without estates and I think they’re good.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Estates are Fine, just boring compared to what people hoped for. If we're lucky they'll be overhauled someday

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cossacks and CoC own. MoH is actively bad to have, but it has a fantastic UI impovement gated behind it.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Third Rome is great if you want to take a massive poop on everyone as Russia

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well, just sparked off a Coalition War as Bharat, featuring countries like:
- big Bengal
- koncerning Kazakh
- coarse Chagatai
- annoying Ajam
- horrible Hormuz
- aghast Afghanistan
- devastated Delhi
- and a couple small Ming tributaries that got pissed off I tore off a chunk from their master in the last war

I should be okay, with stronger army stats and level 6 forts sitting on the border to Bengal. Here's hoping Ethiopia can do a sneaky backstab into Hormuz's heart since they're the ones that called it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the man loves to fight

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think it’d be cool if there was a way to tell how old your generals are

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Estates annoy me because shaking them down for MP whenever they hit high loyalty is another thing I have to remember doing

I just got CoC and laughed when I saw how they jammed in the professionalism bar and the new army controls. They're gonna have to make EU5 just because they ran out of UI space.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Not to divert people from the totally-not-EU:Rome 2 announcement but the store page for Dharma has the following:

"New Indian Estates: Alongside a free update to the estate system, India gets five new castes. Raise the brahmins to reduce unrest in a province or install Jain governors for a boost to income while reducing manpower."

And

"New Cossack Government: Exclusive for owners of The Cossacks expansion."

Did they finally square the circle on Estates by making them a free feature and then adding an extra paid feature to Cossacks to make up for it?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

I think it’d be cool if there was a way to tell how old your generals are

I’d have also thought there would be a pop up with “automatically roll and attach general in the now ungeneraled army” button

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

I’d have also thought there would be a pop up with “automatically roll and attach general in the now ungeneraled army” button

That would add up to a lot of wasted mil points unless you're constantly at war

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

That would add up to a lot of wasted mil points unless you're constantly at war

Oh I meant like click here and New general gets plopped onto the army, more as a helpful thing to new players rather than those experienced in balancing their points

I suppose at this point most players from now on arnt going to be new though

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

One thing that I didn't realize for a while and am bad at managing is that the influence of your estates increases the bonuses they give (province wise along with nation wide), along with the number bonuses on their actions. So if you shake them down for monarch points and they're high influence you can get like 150 (not sure if it goes higher, that was something like 75% influence). Then the balancing act is that going over 80% for too long is really bad, but you get rewarded for riding that line. Overall there is a surprising amount of depth to the whole system that I enjoy, though I am really bad at trying to leverage it.

On an aside, do you guys try to leverage the humiliate wargoal to collect those sweet, sweet MP rewards?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It’s good to be able to humiliate someone early on for the age objective. After that I pretty much always forget about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Humiliation wars can be extremely useful due early game. Getting +100 mp towards mil tech 4/6 is often better than another province. Doubly so if you sneakily manage your rivals to avoid having to do any heavy lifting during the wars.