Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Pretty sure IT is a UFA.

With Bird rights in LA. I forgot that's where he ended up.

morestuff posted:

Luka hedging a little bit

https://twitter.com/Eurohoopsnet/status/997112136408162304

The actual quote:

Feels kind of boilerplate so it's probably making something out of nothing, but Givony and Woj both hinted he might try to leverage where he lands.

This is a pretty common response before the draft, but if he didn't want to go to Sac right away that might work in their favor to get a good process rolling since they don't have a pick next year. Take on some contracts and settle in for 2-3 years of being really bad instead of just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Lockback posted:

This is a pretty common response before the draft, but if he didn't want to go to Sac right away that might work in their favor to get a good process rolling since they don't have a pick next year. Take on some contracts and settle in for 2-3 years of being really bad instead of just bad.

They already tried that with George Hill + Z-Bo

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I don't know if there is anyone in the nba (of realistic possibility) that I would less want my basketball team to commit major money to than Isiah thomas

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

G-Hawk posted:

I don't know if there is anyone in the nba (of realistic possibility) that I would less want my basketball team to commit major money to than Isiah thomas

I just really want the Lakers to end up in a hilarious situation (sorry Rick)

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

G-Hawk posted:

DMC is up there, nobody returns from his injury 100%, especially ~7 foot big boys

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Isn't Luka still playing in the Euroleague at this very moment? Probably wouldn't be diplomatic to say he's on his way out while still playing with his team.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Rick posted:

You're explaining color to a blind person.

lmao

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Cool Buff Man posted:

DMC is up there, nobody returns from his injury 100%, especially ~7 foot big boys

Yeah someone is definitely going to give him a deal that the regret almost immediately and it's gonna be sad. Unless it is in fact the Lakers and then it'll be funny

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

WhyteRyce posted:

Isn't Luka still playing in the Euroleague at this very moment? Probably wouldn't be diplomatic to say he's on his way out while still playing with his team.

This is quite correct

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Luka get your service time for the second contract. You'll probably be great but injury hampered, you need the money.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This could also just be Luka bluffing the Kings into not drafting him. Can't see why any player would want to pause the service time clock when there are such massive pay awaiting.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
He wants to go to Slovenia West, aka Memphis

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dexo posted:

I too don't want to play for the Kings.
Bumming cigs off of Vlade, hanging out with Peja, a chance to get your jersey up there in the rafters alongside the likes of White Chocolate, Christie, and Bibbers? Priceless. Definitely a cooler basketball history than the Celtics if slightly less winning-y

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

drat I should have watched the game last night instead of Ant-Man

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I completely forgot Cousins is pretty much hosed from that injury. So obviously he’ll be a mav

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

G-Hawk posted:

He might not have gotten traded if he hadn't been talking about Brinks trucks so much

Man that trade hit me pretty hard at the time but I have predictably learned to love Kyrie, and Terry Rozier's rebirth has helped me fully move on

e: what if IT was still on our team, but Rozier took his starting spot while he was injured and then never gave it up, lol

loquacius fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 17, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/treykerby/status/996832758059208704
edit: never mind, apparently they did this when they hired their coach.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 17, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I mean that coach hire is a pretty big statement. But Gambo is right so often that if his source says Ayton, I believe that is where the Suns are right now. Although there is a lot of time to change between now and the draft.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Hiring a coach who wants one guy and then immediately overruling him to pick someone else becuase they're more marketable locally feels like a very Robert Sarver thing to do. Ayton is still a good pick for them at least though.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spacebump posted:

https://twitter.com/treykerby/status/996832758059208704
edit: never mind, apparently they did this when they hired their coach.

Suns light years ahead?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Hiring a coach because you have a 25% chance to draft a specific player is really stupid. He was hired because they thought he was the best for the job

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Hiring a coach because you have a 25% chance to draft a specific player is really stupid. He was hired because they thought he was the best for the job

On the other hand, Robert Sarver

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

Sure but once you've hired him it seems like giving him a player he is familiar with and has already demonstrated the ability to use well would be a pretty good idea.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Sure but once you've hired him it seems like giving him a player he is familiar with and has already demonstrated the ability to use well would be a pretty good idea.

Oh I'm not saying the coach wont have influence or input over the pick. And that by picking that coach they are tipping the direction they want to go. But that's different than Luka being a done deal since the hire.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

I'm not sure I 100% agree with this. I think you'd still want whatever prospect you think is best, and if that's equal you'd consider what scheme you want before familiarity. Just because the player has played with the coach before doesn't mean that player fits what they want to do.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I always appreciate the quirks of history that led to the Balkans being such a basketball powerhouse

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I always appreciate the quirks of history that led to the Balkans being such a basketball powerhouse

Balkan can Ball this needs to be a T-shirt

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Tito's most revolutionary move was establishing state indoctrination + basketball camps

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/997137789329211393

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
“Jahlil Okafor”

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

NickRoweFillea posted:

“Jahlil Okafor”

The dreaded Jahlil Okafloor

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Mo Bamba, welcome 2 Cleveland

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Mo Bamba, welcome 2 Cleveland

There's your consolation prize for LeBron leaving.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

what are the rules about player-owners? asking for a friend

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Between his measurements and his approach in interviews, Mo Bamba seems genetically designed to get a GM at the top of the draft to fall in love with him

He even started on the "Working out in a gym against a short white dude" propaganda train early

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jovfTPpBEw

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I have a feeling the Mavs either draft Bamba or someone with Jr. in their name.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

what are the rules about player-owners? asking for a friend

Nothing explicit, though because players are not allowed to gain anything financially aside from salary when playing it opens up a really though situation. If somehow you can structure a player to still get market-rate and have his ownership held in a trust or something, that would probably work.

Jordan had to sell his Wizards ownership when he played for them because of that, and I don't know that anything has been cleared up since.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

NickRoweFillea posted:

“Jahlil Okafor”

Hasheem Thabeet seems like the more worrisome comp I would think

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Other than being tall he is basically the exact opposite of Okafor.

Thabeet isn't a great comparison either but it's at least closer I guess

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

I'm not talking about how much they're moving, I'm talking about the offenses they run. Magic's slow teams were after his legs started giving out, and while I did forget about the 2004 Cavs, that 13th ranked pace was 90.4 so I don't think it's much of a counter argument (god 2000s basketball was awful).

A player cannot be constrained to merely what offense they exist (or have existed) in. Each player is a lot more malleable than that and can look different from year to year, team to team and coach to coach. e.g. Compare Pau Gasol on different years of some of those Lakers teams. They appear the same and had the same name but not much else. Michael Jordan/Kobe Bryant/LBJ and many other players with long careers have played differently when on very different teams.

Henchman of Santa posted:

This whole playoffs has been great for people making grand declarations about every series after one game as if they’ve never seen a playoff series in their life. The only time it’s been accurate is that we all knew the Raptors were getting swept after they blew game 1.

This happens every year. The term "must win" is hilariously overused. Barkley and others have declared so many series over before they actually were.

DeimosRising posted:

Comparing numerical results and declaring that a proxy for play style is very obviously a fallacy. If you run a cluster analysis and get a cluster of Lebron, Magic, and Larry Bird and then declare they all play basketball similarly, you're making the first and biggest of all statistical mistakes - you're not measuring the phenomenon about which you're drawing conclusions.

Every player is unique. Numbers are not a perfect proxy for play style. However, .55 standard deviations is still a noticeable difference and it's improbable that I'll ever call another player on the planet very similar to LBJ. Like I said in another post even if we could clone LBJ five times and put them in different environments they'd be five different players on five different teams. Some of them might be even closer to Magic and some would be farther off.

One big difference in careers between actual Magic, Bird and LBJ is that Magic had way too much sex and contracted HIV, Bird drank too much beer and injured himself etc. while LBJ has spent millions on his body to perfect his health/recovery and sticks to looking at Instagram models.

Both of them played ~40,000 NBA minutes total while LBJ is still trucking at 55,000 MP without exhibiting many signs of slowing down.

PS what players do you believe compare closest with LBJ?

• Locked thread