Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Gangringo posted:

As others have said I think the red ball is William as he was before the game got real. An unrepentant rear end in a top hat who delighted in mowing down hosts. After going through this narrative that Ford has cooked up he will have to face his old self.

I’m expecting this season to end with Jimmi Simpson gunning down Ed Harris just because it seems like the sort of thing this show would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
And season 3 starts with MiB doing stuff and no explanation is given.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think we all just need some fresh aid.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

vegetables posted:

I’m expecting this season to end with Jimmi Simpson gunning down Ed Harris just because it seems like the sort of thing this show would do.

Jimmy Simpson gunning Ed Harris to the back of his head, that's how HBO get around the "paying ERW as much as the male stars in season 3" promise.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

eyebeem posted:

This is a very complicated show, Intel&Sebastian. Lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what have you’s

Logan: What's in the fuckin' carrier?

William: Huh? Oh, that's Juliet's dog. I think it's a Pomeranian. I can't leave him home alone or he eats the furniture. I'm watching him while Juliet and Emily are in The Raj.

Logan: You brought the fuckin' Pomeranian to Westworld?

William: What do you mean brought it to Westworld? I didn't rent it a sixshooter. I'm not buying it a loving whiskey. He's not joining the Confederados, Dude.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The whorehouse actually starts the moment you get off the high speed subway.

But there was also a whorehouse on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride for a long time, too. It was just that the sex there was no good

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

zeal posted:

her appearing all cleaned up, with fresh clothes and full saddlebags on a new horse, after all those carefully placed close-ups of her bedraggled in captivity, was great

MIB had wallhacks for where that modern first aid kit was so I would assume his daughter, especially if she's in the park on some dirty business, would know a place or two to regroup at

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

mp5 posted:

MIB had wallhacks for where that modern first aid kit was so I would assume his daughter, especially if she's in the park on some dirty business, would know a place or two to regroup at

Billiam had a whole cabin set aside full of poo poo like his clothes and weapons and first aid.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
After season one ended with the Ford's death I'll be sad when season two doesn't end with his rebirth. He's getting on a bit though. Maybe he could just narrate it Rocky Horror style. Basically the show needs more Anthony Hopkins is what I'm saying.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Cojawfee posted:

I think we all just need some fresh aid.

The gestures Jimmi Simpson made in response to that would give John Krasinski a run for his money in the Best Face Acting Emmy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mike the TV posted:

It's just nice to see Mathias get some good work after Longmire :shobon:

Hey, he's still in The Son. Should be back on for season 2 pretty soon. Good show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Jimmy Simpson gunning Ed Harris to the back of his head, that's how HBO get around the "paying ERW as much as the male stars in season 3" promise.

I gotta say, I don't get all the love everyone is heaping on ERW. I think she's got one of the harder roles in the series to "sell" but she doesn't even come close to pulling it off.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I gotta say, I don't get all the love everyone is heaping on ERW. I think she's got one of the harder roles in the series to "sell" but she doesn't even come close to pulling it off.

In what sense? I think she's holding her own pretty well. If it's just bad acting I think Tessa Thompson as Charlotte has been phoning it in every time she's on screen.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Thompson was so awful in Season 1 that I was genuinely shocked when she did a good job as Valkyrie in Thor Ragnarok.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

whatever7 posted:

There is no reason for any host to know what is "mainland" and they are in a giant island.

Haaaa yeah I forgot about that.

I still feel like she's conscious and possibly integrating original thought and dialog into the script given to her. Maybe not in full control yet, but close. Like, I don't think anyone gave her a script telling her to look for her daughter from a previous narrative (unless that was also covered and I just missed it), but it could still be part of the plan. I just think it would be cool for her to become the first "unshackled AI" and wildcard.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah Tessa Thompson is pretty flat in this but so far her character isn't much more than "business lady"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think everyone's really heaping love on her.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People dislike her so much that I actually read that post as saying "I don't get why people hate ERW so much"

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Elderbean posted:

Yeah Tessa Thompson is pretty flat in this but so far her character isn't much more than "business lady"

She can't play business lady, she probably can play daughter of a Board member who has never had a real job in her life.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
She's just not intimidating at all.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Laterite posted:

Thompson was so awful in Season 1 that I was genuinely shocked when she did a good job as Valkyrie in Thor Ragnarok.

I don't think she's a terrible actress, she's just super miscast in this. She seems to be pretty young for her age, playing a character that probably should've been cast older than early-30s to start with.

Creativeforce56
May 26, 2016

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I don't think she's a terrible actress, she's just super miscast in this. She seems to be pretty young for her age, playing a character that probably should've been cast older than early-30s to start with.

Totally agree.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Her writing has been terrible this season

Bernard: twitching and incapacitated on the ground
Charlotte: ugh what is wrong with you can we just go the mall

Caufman
May 7, 2007
"Oh my God, Bernard. You can't just ask if this is now."

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I actually don't know what is ERW going for this season. I have no idea if she is nailing her part.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

whatever7 posted:

I actually don't know what is ERW going for this season. I have no idea if she is nailing her part.

This may actually be what my issue is. It's hard to nail a part if you're not really being given anything to nail. I thought she was flat and boring season 1 as well, so maybe it's just her character that I dislike. I seem to recall her hamming it up just as well as everyone else on True Blood.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

whatever7 posted:

She can't play business lady, she probably can play daughter of a Board member who has never had a real job in her life.

To be fair, we don't know what the Board is, how powerful they are, or what their real role is. Are they more powerful in the company than William? Less? Is he really active normally when he's not in the park as far as running things? Does the Board know of the plan to resurrect James Delos and (presumably) give him back his company?

Charlotte may be a lightweight because the whole board is just a plaything of William, like the park.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ERW is scary amazing actress overall, I think it's more the WW material than anything.

Probably doesn't help that she's playing Wyatt 80% of the time we've seen her this year. Her scene with Abernathy was the only impressive one she's had so far this season imo.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, I think Dolores is just a lot less interesting this season. She mostly just scowls at people while Teddy wrings his hands in the background.

Most of the "woke" hosts are boring as poo poo tbh. Except Maeve.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Astroman posted:

To be fair, we don't know what the Board is, how powerful they are, or what their real role is. Are they more powerful in the company than William? Less? Is he really active normally when he's not in the park as far as running things? Does the Board know of the plan to resurrect James Delos and (presumably) give him back his company?

Charlotte may be a lightweight because the whole board is just a plaything of William, like the park.
Theresa said the park is one thing to the guests, another to the board, and yet another to the shareholders. So there's definitely layers to it.

William sold the idea to old man Delos in some way that was more than just ".1%er themepark". Before the immortality project was revealed, I thought it might be blackmail. The guests are all rich and powerful, having evidence of them being depraved fucks could give you a lot of leverage over them.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Dolores as a character isn't interesting. Dolores as a vessel to carry the story and mystery in Season 1 was intriguing.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
If your office IT guy announced that he was going on vacation, alone, to Southeast Asia, would you think he's going for the food and the temples? Nah.

If you’re going to Westworld, everyone knows why already, they just aren't saying anything because you are rich and/or powerful. They don't need confirmation that you're going to rape and/or murder because you're going to an place that advertises itself as a land of infinite possibilities. For the fabulously wealthy, blatant crimes are like the only thing they can't do.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It's one thing to suspect, it's another thing to be presented with a 4k video of the guy shooting a ranch hand in the head and then skull loving the hole.

Maybe the general public don't know what goes on there. The park is ultra exclusive.

edit: it was just an idea. I also thought they might be trying to make dopplegangers of the guests. Delos isn't stable, but that might not matter. The dopplegangers don't have to be full copies, just good enough facsimiles to pass unnoticed.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 18, 2018

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

tooterfish posted:

It's one thing to suspect, it's another thing to be presented with a 4k video of the guy shooting a ranch hand in the head and then skull loving the hole.

Maybe the general public don't know what goes on there. The park is ultra exclusive.

I mean, as something of a counterpoint to that, Sylvester implies that VR is absolutely a thing and that it's used for stuff not at all unlike WW, something about a submissive redhead. Between that and Felix mentioning he needs the job, I don't think the morality of the general public is necessarily all that different than the upper crust. Clearly people have gotten real hosed up in this supposedly-post-scarcity future, but not much nicer.

The difference in what goes on in VR vs what goes on in WW seems like it's just the exclusivity factor of it supposedly being more realistic. Like the "live out your depraved fantasies" version of the difference between a $50 pair of jeans and a $500 pair, it's mostly just branding. It might not necessarily be intended by the writers, but arguably in a society where VR is already being sold with "live out all your depraved and twisted fantasies, it's okay because it isn't real!", given that everyone thinks the hosts aren't much more than videogame characters, why would anyone object if the society has already sort of chucked the concept of brutalization existing and being a bad thing over the side?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Pinky Artichoke posted:

That was my thought from the beginning. She's supposed to be an intimidating power figure but she just comes off as an entitled brat in a position she didn't earn, which may actually be the case but so far the show hasn't indicated anything like that.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

That was my thought from the beginning. She's supposed to be an intimidating power figure but she just comes off as an entitled brat in a position she didn't earn, which may actually be the case but so far the show hasn't indicated anything like that.
I'd think her coming off like that would be an indication in itself? The young usurper who believes their privilege is a qualification in itself is a pretty standard trope, and is generally paired off against the older ruler who earned that spot - and isn't that pretty much the Charlotte-Ford relationship?

She's not supposed to be personally intimidating I don't think, though she seemed to think so in season 1, it's entirely her position in the corporate hierarchy that does it. As I recall, isn't she talked about as a representative of the board before she arrives? Which would really underline the idea that that is the part people were intimidated by, rather than her personally. Charlotte in season 2 is of course not presented as being intimidating in any way, just a somewhat capable person in way over their head and trying everything in their power to get back out.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If your office IT guy announced that he was going on vacation, alone, to Southeast Asia, would you think he's going for the food and the temples? Nah.

If you’re going to Westworld, everyone knows why already, they just aren't saying anything because you are rich and/or powerful. They don't need confirmation that you're going to rape and/or murder because you're going to an place that advertises itself as a land of infinite possibilities. For the fabulously wealthy, blatant crimes are like the only thing they can't do.

Eh, I think if someone mentioned that they have a Playstation and played GTA over the weekend you wouldn't immediately guess that they're a hooker killer. You may know that you can do that sort of thing in the game, but I don't think most people would go there first.

JaySB posted:

Dolores as a character isn't interesting. Dolores as a vessel to carry the story and mystery in Season 1 was intriguing.

I agree. She was more interesting last season, now things are sort of just meandering it seems.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 18, 2018

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I'm here for William "T. Sherman", and Elsie & her robot buddy fighting crime. Maeve's okay too.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

Billiam had a whole cabin set aside full of poo poo like his clothes and weapons and first aid.

I assumed that was where they patched him up and got him in his tuxedo for the big shindig, so it made sense that it would all still be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Yeah, I don't think blackmail would be effective if everyone thought it was just a video game with fancy robots.