Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
going on everlore to see scans of hand drawn zone maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a few UO stories.

Most of my UO experience was on player run shards because back in the day, most people in Australia only had dial up and UO wasn't very fun to play when you had a ping above 300ms.

Each of the player run shards were run on a particular set of server emulation software, each of which had their own little set of quirks.

On one server I played on, the little red one tile boxes you could make with carpentry skill were impassable by ghosts, but they would decay after 30 minutes if left on the ground. One day I decided to see how long I could keep someone stuck on the same tile. I killed someone, then before he could move, I dropped a box in each cardinal direction, making him completely unable to move in any direction. Once he realised he was stuck, the OoOOOOOOooOOO's began. I told him that if he was able to answer my question he'd be allowed to leave. I asked him how many fish steaks I had in my backpack. He answered, of course, O. I said to him, "I'm afraid I have more than zero fish steaks, friend." Then I teleported away. But it didn't end there. I set a recurring 29 minute timer with my watch. Every 29 minutes I'd recall into the same spot, refresh the boxes, then teleport away again. I did this for hours. I came back like 4 hours later, thinking surely he would have given up by now, but nope, still more ghost spam. After 8 hours I had to go to sleep, so I told a buddy to cover me, gave him the rune. He kept it going for me while I slept. In total I think the dude was stuck there for a few days. Good times.

On another server I played on, the devs had coded in global chat and an in-game messaging system. This is important later. One day, while doing my usual murder run (that is, recalling off all the runes I'd made for PKing people) I came across this dude in Brit GY. I killed him, took his poo poo, didn't think much of it. Well, he was rather unhappy about this turn of events and started flaming me in global chat. So I decided to make him a special project. I started stalking him on my stealth PK. He'd often go to the Ogre island in Despise with his mates. They seemed pretty new to the game. They'd often throw a rune on the ground to recall off and of course I'd instantly snatch it up. Much confusion would follow. Several times they gated to their guildhouse and I was able to stealth inside and steal a bunch of poo poo they hadn't secured properly.

Anyway, one day I got wind of the fact that this particular dude was saving up for his very first small tower. He told his guildmates about how he'd been patiently farming dungeons for 8 hours a day in order to save up for it. Well, one day I'm stealthed outside their guildhouse when I see him teleport in. He tells his mates that he's about to buy the small tower deed, and he's found the perfect spot, but he's not going to show them, because he's worried about it being stolen. I can tell he's excited by all the exclamation points. He says BRB!!! and teleports away. Now I had been following this dude around for a couple weeks now, killing him and looting him every so often, and I few times he'd had this rune on him that was marked to this remote spot near the Hedge Maze. I figured this was his house spot, so I recalled there and hid. I waited. And waited some more. Was just about to leave when he teleports in. I instantly stealth up to him, snoop his backpack, steal the small tower deed, give him a "Thanks, friend!" and then recall away.

He goes off in global chat, begging me to give the tower deed back. At first I taunted him, but then I messaged him privately and told him to meet me at the Buc's Den bank, promising to return it. He was suspicious but he really wanted the deed back, so he agreed. Well, he arrived at the bank and I'm waiting there. I'm sure he expected me to just kill him, but I didn't. I even put the tower deed in a trade window. He of course instantly hits accept but I didn't, telling him it won't let me click it. He's starting to get annoyed but I tell him to be patient, I'm going to try something. And then I threw his deed in the bin, in front of him. The bin says, "This item has been deleted." I said, "Whoops, finger slipped." He started freaking the gently caress out. He started ranting on global chat about how long it took him to save up all that gold, what an rear end in a top hat I am, how this game is loving poo poo, then announced he was quitting, and promptly logged off. And was never seen online again.

There's more, but that's a good start.

Yolomancer fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 18, 2018

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
:whitewater:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Delete the last two posts and goldmine

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Yolomancer posted:

I have a few UO stories.

Most of my UO experience was on player run shards because back in the day, most people in Australia

this answers a lot of questions

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fungah! posted:

this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

extremebuff posted:

this answers a lot of questions

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Yolomancer posted:

I have a few UO stories.

Most of my UO experience was on player run shards because back in the day, most people in Australia only had dial up and UO wasn't very fun to play when you had a ping above 300ms.

Each of the player run shards were run on a particular set of server emulation software, each of which had their own little set of quirks.

On one server I played on, the little red one tile boxes you could make with carpentry skill were impassable by ghosts, but they would decay after 30 minutes if left on the ground. One day I decided to see how long I could keep someone stuck on the same tile. I killed someone, then before he could move, I dropped a box in each cardinal direction, making him completely unable to move in any direction. Once he realised he was stuck, the OoOOOOOOooOOO's began. I told him that if he was able to answer my question he'd be allowed to leave. I asked him how many fish steaks I had in my backpack. He answered, of course, O. I said to him, "I'm afraid I have more than zero fish steaks, friend." Then I teleported away. But it didn't end there. I set a recurring 29 minute timer with my watch. Every 29 minutes I'd recall into the same spot, refresh the boxes, then teleport away again. I did this for hours. I came back like 4 hours later, thinking surely he would have given up by now, but nope, still more ghost spam. After 8 hours I had to go to sleep, so I told a buddy to cover me, gave him the rune. He kept it going for me while I slept. In total I think the dude was stuck there for a few days. Good times.

On another server I played on, the devs had coded in global chat and an in-game messaging system. This is important later. One day, while doing my usual murder run (that is, recalling off all the runes I'd made for PKing people) I came across this dude in Brit GY. I killed him, took his poo poo, didn't think much of it. Well, he was rather unhappy about this turn of events and started flaming me in global chat. So I decided to make him a special project. I started stalking him on my stealth PK. He'd often go to the Ogre island in Despise with his mates. They seemed pretty new to the game. They'd often throw a rune on the ground to recall off and of course I'd instantly snatch it up. Much confusion would follow. Several times they gated to their guildhouse and I was able to stealth inside and steal a bunch of poo poo they hadn't secured properly.

Anyway, one day I got wind of the fact that this particular dude was saving up for his very first small tower. He told his guildmates about how he'd been patiently farming dungeons for 8 hours a day in order to save up for it. Well, one day I'm stealthed outside their guildhouse when I see him teleport in. He tells his mates that he's about to buy the small tower deed, and he's found the perfect spot, but he's not going to show them, because he's worried about it being stolen. I can tell he's excited by all the exclamation points. He says BRB!!! and teleports away. Now I had been following this dude around for a couple weeks now, killing him and looting him every so often, and I few times he'd had this rune on him that was marked to this remote spot near the Hedge Maze. I figured this was his house spot, so I recalled there and hid. I waited. And waited some more. Was just about to leave when he teleports in. I instantly stealth up to him, snoop his backpack, steal the small tower deed, give him a "Thanks, friend!" and then recall away.

He goes off in global chat, begging me to give the tower deed back. At first I taunted him, but then I messaged him privately and told him to meet me at the Buc's Den bank, promising to return it. He was suspicious but he really wanted the deed back, so he agreed. Well, he arrived at the bank and I'm waiting there. I'm sure he expected me to just kill him, but I didn't. I even put the tower deed in a trade window. He of course instantly hits accept but I didn't, telling him it won't let me click it. He's starting to get annoyed but I tell him to be patient, I'm going to try something. And then I threw his deed in the bin, in front of him. The bin says, "This item has been deleted." I said, "Whoops, finger slipped." He started freaking the gently caress out. He started ranting on global chat about how long it took him to save up all that gold, what an rear end in a top hat I am, how this game is loving poo poo, then announced he was quitting, and promptly logged off. And was never seen online again.

There's more, but that's a good start.

lmao

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The second story was a little too mean for my tastes but I like the first one, especially since the ghosts saying OooOOOOOoooOoo is one of my favorite UO things.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m not really into mmos op but I hope that someone answers your question. Take care.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Wormskull posted:

It looks chill, I'm watching someone play the project 1999 thing of it. Anyone play it these days.

I never played it but I bet it wasn't. But I could imagine Ultima Online was if you were into that kind of thing. I wish the beta CD had arrived before we left the US so I coulda tried it... I think that's what happened anyway.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I never played EQ but my first few hundred hours of vanilla wow were absolutely incredible. I still remember being blown away by just how massive blackrock depths was

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

gently caress yeah

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
This is a cool thread. UO/EQ was my jam back then and I dumped way more hours into them than I should have.

I started EQ at launch on Rallos Zek, their PVP server. Clerics and Paladins got a blind spell that would make your monitor go completely black and the first time someone cast this on me I thought my sweet rear end brand new 15 inch CRT monitor poo poo the bed on me.

Dude killed me and stole my banded breastplate. But at least my monitor was ok!

There was a skill called Disarm which at the time would make whoever you used it on drop their weapon on the ground and anyone could pick it up. Using this as a rogue you could do it while hiding and if it failed it wouldn't break you out of hiding. For a while it was common to just walk around zones and find people sitting down and steal their weapons to make money.

In one of the zones, West Commonlands I believe, you would go there at like level 10 or so and fight bigger yard trash like bears and such. Young Kodiaks and Kodiaks were notorious for surprise attacks on unsuspecting people and exp groups and in this particular zone they would spawn into the world and not move. Over time the spawns would stack up on top of one another and what looked like one bear would actually be about 5 or 6. When you agro'd them, all of a sudden this giant stack of bears would be swinging away at you in unison and you'd fall over dead instantly.

I still have notebooks full of guild bank logs and notes from when I raided showing which clerics and enchanters got money for spell reagents. Probably folders full of printed out maps of dungeons and checklists for epics too.

Ultima Online was really the ultimate rear end in a top hat simulator. Baking bread and poisoning it with deadly poison that would kill you in seconds unless you spammed cures. You could just drop these on the ground at populated banks and people would snap it up and fall over dead. Dropping chests with junk loot that were trapped to explode. Killing people on their boats, taking their boat keys then sending the boat off in a random direction out to sea, never to be heard from again.

I play on their TLP server Coirnav today with some dudes I gamed with in those early days. It's not the same by any means, but It was always more about who you were playing with anyway.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

elf help book posted:

mmm a road steak

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

You could do a bowing emote and put a linked sausage item behind you and it looked like you were publicly defecating lol.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

You could do a bowing emote and put a linked sausage item behind you and it looked like you were publicly defecating lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7DmFUU1Ino

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

One time a naked guy ran up to me and threw a dice item on the ground and said "roll it". I double clicked on it and it said I rolled a 12 and the guy gave me 50k and ran away

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Ristolaz posted:

doing this in souls with dung ftw

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

You can do this in Runescape by dropping an onion on the ground.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ristolaz posted:

Lmfao

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ristolaz posted:

One time a naked guy ran up to me and threw a dice item on the ground and said "roll it". I double clicked on it and it said I rolled a 12 and the guy gave me 50k and ran away

the rare good naked guy

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

the rare good naked guy

Thesis: UO naked psychos are the avatars of a trickster god

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I have the next two days off and I’m installing Everquest

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Asheron's Call was really cool. There was a glitch for years that let you move full speed while casting & spells and arrows were 3d projectiles meaning they could be dodged & the highest rank damage plus debuff spells would do 50-80% of anyone's health so the PVP server was basically rocket tag. There weren't any mounts or speed spells but running and jumping were governed by the run and jump skills and at high levels everyone could jump 40 feet straight up and would run faster than car.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Matt Lindland posted:

Asheron's Call was really cool. There was a glitch for years that let you move full speed while casting & spells and arrows were 3d projectiles meaning they could be dodged & the highest rank damage plus debuff spells would do 50-80% of anyone's health so the PVP server was basically rocket tag. There weren't any mounts or speed spells but running and jumping were governed by the run and jump skills and at high levels everyone could jump 40 feet straight up and would run faster than car.

I'm pissed I never played Asherons Call I read about it in some PC gaming magazine before it came out and it looked incredibly tight . Also welcome to the Imp Zone

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
today on the drive home from work the 405 north was an absolute parking lot. my car was at a dead stop and a naked man punched my window as he ran through traffic

i reflexively checked my pocket to make sure i still had my wallet. UO did a real number on me

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

cumshitter posted:

today on the drive home from work the 405 north was an absolute parking lot. my car was at a dead stop and a naked man punched my window as he ran through traffic

i reflexively checked my pocket to make sure i still had my wallet. UO did a real number on me

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

cumshitter posted:

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

cumshitter posted:

lol

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

cumshitter posted:

lmao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

cumshitter posted:

hahah

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

cumshitter posted:

lmao

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

cumshitter posted:

Goldmine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

cumshitter posted:

Lmfao