Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Bowie didn't really have a patent on crooning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

love how the words "david" and "bowie" were not mentioned in any instance at all

Guess he didn't feel the need to state the blatantly obvious :v:

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Leon Einstein posted:

Bowie didn't really have a patent on crooning.

You're right, the striking similarity in musical and vocal style between the new NIN song and the final album by his long time friend, influence and collaborator David Bowie is pure coincidence.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Obviously it sounds more like a Lionel Richie song

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I was thinking Sinatra.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Maybe, just maybe, it's more of a Wayne's World 2 situation, and, in Rip Taylor's opinion, Trent is less of a rock singer, and more of a crooner working in the rock milieu.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The place the thread cuts off the title text is god damned perfect

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's a video for God Break Down The Door too (which I put in the OP but I'll put here too), although it's not really a music video, just a visual elaboration on Bad Witch's album art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeJ_DzRJUI4

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 17, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The album shows up in Apple Music, while only the 1 song is streamable. Song lengths:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The album shows up in Apple Music, while only the 1 song is streamable. Song lengths:

So they called it a new album but it's basically just a long EP since it's right around 30 minutes.

Also why do they edit out poo poo but not goddamned lol

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 17, 2018

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
That's disappointing about the song lengths.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

You guys are only disappointed because of the publicist stating it was an album. Trent himself said it was part 3 of the EP trio in a very recent interview, so for all intents and purposes it's an EP.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Leon Einstein posted:

That's disappointing about the song lengths.

Not every release can have The Background World :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

polyester concept posted:

You guys are only disappointed because of the publicist stating it was an album. Trent himself said it was part 3 of the EP trio in a very recent interview, so for all intents and purposes it's an EP.
When I heard they were coming out with a new release, I immediately assumed it was part 3 of the EP trio. Why would their publicist correct multiple sources reporting they were putting out a new EP and say it was actually a new album if Trent said it was the third EP in the trilogy?

Mierenneuker posted:

Not every release can have The Background World :v:
The Background World is so loving good

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
Sounds like Trent just changed his mind on what he thinks constitutes an album versus an EP. The distinction is really up to the artist in most cases. I mean, Broken is an EP, but I don't know anybody that doesn't consider it an album.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

polyester concept posted:

In the interview from like an hour ago he says it started as an EP but then became an LP

That's definitely a tad disappointing about the song lengths, but at least it's still longer than I had expected until like a week ago. I do have to wonder if it's just The Background World stuff or actually longer songs. Not that I don't like The Background World, but y'know.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Here's the exact quote from Trent about this:

quote:

There was the third EP which has grown into an LP (Bad Witch). It was coming to one final look at that question from rejecting what EP No. two says, and it wasn’t an easy answer… The entire system has a much more bleak and pessimistic outlook and I want to say too much because it gives away kind of the what the thing is. But it wasn’t necessarily what we thought it was going to be when we started. I thought it was going to go more science fiction. I don’t really want to overwhelm you with cleverness and deep diving and part of that felt like an arms race and it also felt like a cop out.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I honestly have no idea what the gently caress he's talking about. I find it strange that there is supposed to be some great narrative that ties these EPs together when She's Gone Away was written for a TV show. There are a lot of strange threads between all of this though, and it'll be interesting to see how the 3rd one connects all the dots.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's also far from the only "album" to clock in just over 30 minutes. Definitely weird that he was so insistent on it being NOT AN EP when the difference is so slight, but he's been weird in general lately, lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If he's convinced this is an album, does that mean EP 3 of 3 is still in the works?

Holy poo poo, we've been so blessed to get so much NIN material the last few years, and it's all been great too.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If he's convinced this is an album, does that mean EP 3 of 3 is still in the works?

Holy poo poo, we've been so blessed to get so much NIN material the last few years, and it's all been great too.
No. This is the final piece to the puzzle.

I initially thought this was all going to tie into the YZ universe, but I'm doubting it now.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Since these EPs are being released on 12" records, it would have been nice for them to be pressed at 45 rpm, split onto both sides.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

All we have to do is pour enough black dust through the machine indicated by Add Violence to decode the secret message etched into the vinyl of Bad Witch to solve the mystery. Everyone kept their black dust right???

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Obsurveyor posted:

All we have to do is pour enough black dust through the machine indicated by Add Violence to decode the secret message etched into the vinyl of Bad Witch to solve the mystery. Everyone kept their black dust right???

drat, I already poured it on my Radiohead King Of Limbs transparent vinyls to try to find the hidden second part of the album

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
^^
I have that KoL vinyl, and it came with a big newspaper. Too bad that album is not very good.

I hate to doubt Trent, but does anybody think that the physical components and the EPs are actually going to come together like Voltron and turn into something bigger?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I dunno but if the YZ ARG was any indication, the plastic word tabs that came with Add Violence can be broken open to retrieve microSD cards within, but they are password protected with a series of numbers corresponding to the gas chromatography readings from the black dust

e: Bad Witch will contain coded clues leading to the website of a small, soon-to-be-broke chemical analysis lab that will flourish in the wake of thousands of NIN fans sending samples of black dust for analysis...it's name? THE NULL CORPORATION :aaaaa:

e2: I literally just opened my AV poo poo and played around with the plastic tabs goddamnit trent if it's going to be an ARG just say it

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 17, 2018

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Sir Lemming posted:

drat, I already poured it on my Radiohead King Of Limbs transparent vinyls to try to find the hidden second part of the album

If you think this is over then you're wrong...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Getting more of an Eartling Bowie vibe from this, with the exception of the Blackstar saxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JbXGqFHpRg

The vocals are doing nothing for me though...

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
This is a cool song and I really love hearing Trent embrace something besides whispering and yelling

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
I'm at work so can't have a proper listen till later but it just sounded completely eh to me

this makes me sad :smith:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Most of NIN's stuff from the past decade+ made me feels "meh" during the first listening, but grows on me the more I listen to it. GBDTD is pretty much the same.

Though I also seem to generally prefer other songs on the album over the singles Trent releases anyway.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Donovan Trip posted:

This is a cool song and I really love hearing Trent embrace something besides whispering and yelling
He went outside his normal range on a couple tracks on Add Violence too, like on This Isn't The Place, but yeah, this is far outside the norm for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g8nAqDu3gI

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I started rewatching their Panorama set from last year earlier and now I'm watching the rest of it. It's so loving good. I really hope at least one of their festival appearances gets live streamed this year! I've gotten so stoked for those in years past. It's a whole event for me. I'll order food, turn my lights off, turn my stereo way up, turn the stream on really early to make sure I'm on time, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JujihaeDpQ0

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I didn't mind the latest track at all, aside from the drum loop. I feel like Trent and Atticus are far, far better than that, but whatever works for them, I guess. It's not like they don't have the tools and creativity to have done something else and just settled, this is what they wanted, obviously.

Speaking of, what are your favourite beats from NIN or at least Trent-related work?

I'd have to say Eraser, the breakdown from The Perfect Drug, and HTDA's A Drowning are my top 3. Honourable mentions to March of the Pigs and Somewhat Damaged.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The Big Come Down, Underneath It All, The Becoming, Reptile, Vessel, Me I'm Not and In Two are probably my favourite beats. I like the hard industrial beats best I guess. Also some of the Ghosts beats but I'm not going to dig back through them to remember which ones now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

il_cornuto posted:

The Big Come Down, Underneath It All, The Becoming, Reptile, Vessel, Me I'm Not and In Two are probably my favourite beats. I like the hard industrial beats best I guess. Also some of the Ghosts beats but I'm not going to dig back through them to remember which ones now.

I loved Ghosts, but yeah, without proper titles, it's tough to remember them individually.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Getting more of an Eartling Bowie vibe from this, with the exception of the Blackstar saxes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JbXGqFHpRg

The vocals are doing nothing for me though...

To me it's a not as good version of I'm Deranged. I haven't been all that high on NIN the last few years though so I'm not the greatest person to comment.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Terrible Lie, Wish, Gave Up, March of the Pigs, Reptile, We're In This Together, The Collector, The Hand That Feeds, Getting Smaller, Hyperpower!, 1,000,000, Discipline, Satellite and The Idea of You come to mind. Some of those are cemented in my brain from seeing them performed live so many times, others are just songs I find myself tapping out on my steering wheel or my desk or whatever every time I listen to them.

And obviously The Perfect Drug :v:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 18, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Arena Rock isn't really a good look for NIN, but The Collector is the freaking best at it. That drum groove is killer and the chorus shreds hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Besides what has been mentioned the drums at the end of Piggy are loving savage as gently caress.

Also on the opposite end of the spectrum the cheesy synth beats of Sanctified are amazing.