Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Proteus Jones posted:

Her suit was still damaged. Mars had it boxed up and likely wanted no one to access it and the data it had on board. Then the power system got fried when taking over Mao’s yacht.

I mean seriously, other than explicit dialog pointing out the issues the suit has, I’m not sure if there were any bigger ways to telegraph that the suit is messed up.

Yeah I thought so! That and she didn't have anything to replenish her micromissile launcher either. If she had been fully operational I'm sure she would've smoked the poo poo out of poor hybrid kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
There is a rumor that the set strike has been halted "until further notice" and the crew are planning to watch the next ep from the Roci set if you are still on the Denial Stage like me. :iiam:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

ApathyGifted posted:

Hilariously low caliber ammo is a thing in sci-fi, and it’s made up for by the bullets being super fast. The gauss rifle in Fallout has 2mm rounds, and the guns in Mass Effect literally just shave bits off of a block of metal and fire it magnetically. It’s the hand-wavy way of being able to cram thousands of rounds into a compact volume. Bobby holds all those rounds in basically her forearm from the looks of it, and the Mass Effect guns have effectively infinite ammo (in the first game at least.).

I actually remember the details of Mass Effect's explanation! :science:

The first game is as you say, effectively infinite ammo, and you just have to wait for your gun to cool down if you shoot too much. 2 and 3 shifted to having reloading like any other shooter, the in-universe explanation being that you're reloading heatsinks, not ammunition, because after studying geth weaponry, people concluded that it's better to put more bullets downrange faster, rather than having to wait for cooldowns.

It's kind of silly, and a little disappointing that the games lost a bit of what made them unique, but at least they tried to justify it instead of hand-waving away the first game's mechanics.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 18, 2018

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There is a rumor that the set strike has been halted "until further notice" and the crew are planning to watch the next ep from the Roci set if you are still on the Denial Stage like me. :iiam:

Oh god, don't do this to me :(

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

They're just waiting for the right moment to announce that Amazon's picked it up. I'm pretty sure they'll do it next week before the episode airs. Three more seasons and a feature-length movie.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phenotype posted:

They're just waiting for the right moment to announce that Amazon's picked it up. I'm pretty sure they'll do it next week before the episode airs. Three more seasons and a feature-length movie.

yay this is also what i think!!!!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's the only thing that makes any sense at all.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Finally someone says what we're all thinking.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Also Amos is a treasure

"I'm that guy" scene was amazing for how Amos can be both lovable and scary at the same time.

I also loved the Mass Effect elevator scene.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
My favorite line from Prax re: Amos

"This is Amos. He's my best friend in the whole world."

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Phenotype posted:

I want to believe

edit:

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I loved Amos face when he heard that

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Phenotype posted:

It's the only thing that makes any sense at all.

Math checks out! :jeb:

etalian posted:

"I'm that guy" scene was amazing for how Amos can be both lovable and scary at the same time.

Did anyone else feel that the outro music leading up the the Venus Reveal was quoting ME3's piano motif a bit?

This is now my second favorite Amos quote and Amos didn't even say it. :c00lbert:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

etalian posted:

"Are they hypoxic?"

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

That expression seems like it would be replaced in space.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

there's tons of colloquialisms that are absolutely not relevant to modern society that we use in tyool 2018 and replacing them is bad writing imo

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Belters are the ones that are living in space and have actually changed. They have their own sayings and even their own gestures, mostly due to wearing bulky vac suites and things like shrugging or even a smile being impossible to tell while wearing one. Lots of large hand / arm movements.

Earth has very much stayed true to it's roots and Mars is still tied pretty heavily to Earth and very militaristic. The military is always slow to change, so that's reflected in their speaking. Prax is from Earth, he moved to Ganymede when he was 8, so he'd have a mostly Earth based set of sayings since his entire family would be from there, and I believe most of Ganymede was also Earth based and not Belters or Martian.

The books are very good about showing how culture has changed, the books take place over a few decades and it really shows how the events in the early books change the culture.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 18, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

etalian posted:

Holy poo poo it was exactly that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

pixaal posted:

Belters are the ones that are living in space and have actually changed. They have their own sayings and even their own gestures, mostly due to wearing bulky vac suites and things like shrugging or even a smile being impossible to tell while wearing one. Lots of large hand / arm movements.

Earth has very much stayed true to it's roots and Mars is still tied pretty heavily to Earth and very militaristic. The military is always slow to change, so that's reflected in their speaking. Prax is from Earth, he moved to Ganymede when he was 8, so he'd have a mostly Earth based set of sayings since his entire family would be from there, and I believe most of Ganymede was also Earth based and not Belters or Martian.

The books are very good about showing how culture has changed, the books take place over a few decades and it really shows how the events in the early books change the culture.

Prax was born on Europa then moved to Ganymede when he was 8. He's a Belter, but only to people from Earth and Mars, kind of like Miller.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also I really want a Paradox style game set in the expanse universe. Play as earth, mars, belt, (other) starting at the start of the books but letting you make your own political choices from there. Play as earth and put all your energy into making nice with mars to ensure the belt never rises up against the inners? Play as mars and manage to finally win a war against earth allowing you to devour the resources of the belt for your terraforming project? Unite the factions of the belt, bide your time for the right moment and gain true independence and maybe shower mars and earth with asteroids/missiles? Hell maybe even play as a mega-corp playing the various factions against each other while trying to harness the protomolecule to establish some terrible corporate dystopia.

Every faction would have its own major internal politics. Earth has it's billions of hungry unemployed pops to deal with, mars has to balance its terraforming with its military, the belt needs to balance its colonial export economy and disunited population with its desire for independence and or revenge. And while everyones doing all this, there's the chain of protomolecule related events going on. How will you shape your society? Will you as leader of earth shift towards an imperialist "earth first" military dictatorship or try to turn earth into a true post-scarcity trek style utopia? Will the belt become some sort of peaceful self suffient anarcho-commune or become a revenge fueled fleet of space mongols?

Mostly I just really want a hard scifi 4x/mapgame with a good political/economic/social angle.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm pretty sure Prax is a Belter by birth, and just moved to Ganymede from elsewhere in the outer planets, but I may be misremembering things.

Regardless, the term "the world" has meant different things in the course of our history, and even if you take a narrow view of its meaning, most people in the setting will spend their entire lives on the world they're born to, even Belters. Of the main Belter characters in our narrative only Naomi is a "space Belter", Miller was a city Belter, and after moving, Prax and Mei were both Ganymede Belters who likely would live their entire lives never going up the well.

It's easy to forget given the focus of the narrative, but people who live their lives on the float or under spin gravity are an incredibly small minority of Humanity, and most folks just stay home.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Prax was born on Europa then moved to Ganymede when he was 8. He's a Belter, but only to people from Earth and Mars, kind of like Miller.

So he's an 'Outer', just not a proper 'rock hopper'

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Also I really want a Paradox style game set in the expanse universe. Play as earth, mars, belt, (other) starting at the start of the books but letting you make your own political choices from there.

Play as earth, Mars, belt, or protomolecule.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So apart from Eros and Ceres do the belters really have many major permanent installations to live on? I imagine it's easier to find a sizable rock and mount a Tycho style Stanford taurus spin station to it so it's anchored and minable rather than trying to tow an asteroid to a better spot.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

there's tons of colloquialisms that are absolutely not relevant to modern society that we use in tyool 2018 and replacing them is bad writing imo

Think about how many horse related phrases people still use

Obligatory: http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=1874

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

Also I really want a Paradox style game set in the expanse universe. Play as earth, mars, belt, (other) starting at the start of the books but letting you make your own political choices from there. Play as earth and put all your energy into making nice with mars to ensure the belt never rises up against the inners? Play as mars and manage to finally win a war against earth allowing you to devour the resources of the belt for your terraforming project? Unite the factions of the belt, bide your time for the right moment and gain true independence and maybe shower mars and earth with asteroids/missiles? Hell maybe even play as a mega-corp playing the various factions against each other while trying to harness the protomolecule to establish some terrible corporate dystopia.

Every faction would have its own major internal politics. Earth has it's billions of hungry unemployed pops to deal with, mars has to balance its terraforming with its military, the belt needs to balance its colonial export economy and disunited population with its desire for independence and or revenge. And while everyones doing all this, there's the chain of protomolecule related events going on. How will you shape your society? Will you as leader of earth shift towards an imperialist "earth first" military dictatorship or try to turn earth into a true post-scarcity trek style utopia? Will the belt become some sort of peaceful self suffient anarcho-commune or become a revenge fueled fleet of space mongols?

Mostly I just really want a hard scifi 4x/mapgame with a good political/economic/social angle.

Paradox actually did make a space exploration grand strategy game (which I only know about thanks to randomly catching an ad for a sale the other day) but I have no idea if it's any good. Recent reviews are Mostly Negative so it may not be all that great. It's called Stellaris...anybody here ever play it?

The Crusader Kings II Game of Thrones mod was pretty much exactly what you're describing except obviously in Westeros. Wonder if it'd be possible to massively mod the CKII engine into a weird approximation of ships, armadas, and planets for an Expanse experience?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arcsquad12 posted:

So apart from Eros and Ceres do the belters really have many major permanent installations to live on? I imagine it's easier to find a sizable rock and mount a Tycho style Stanford taurus spin station to it so it's anchored and minable rather than trying to tow an asteroid to a better spot.

Ganymede, Pallas, there's a lot of moon's and spun up rocks

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

timp posted:

Paradox actually did make a space exploration grand strategy game (which I only know about thanks to randomly catching an ad for a sale the other day) but I have no idea if it's any good. Recent reviews are Mostly Negative so it may not be all that great. It's called Stellaris...anybody here ever play it?
Yeah, a ton of us have. It's great, but it's galactic scale, with all the FTL and soft sci fi stuff that entails. I'd like a one-system harder sci fi game too.

And it's sad negative recent reviews give a bad first impression. A recent huge free update removed some awkward gameplay systems to vastly improve the overall game. Some diehard fans are... overly loss averse and flipped the gently caress out. It's pretty unanimously praised in the SA thread.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Stellaris is cool and good, they reworked a bunch of sustems to make it better, but being on steam you can roll back the version if you absolutely want to play the old versions.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Eiba posted:

Yeah, a ton of us have. It's great, but it's galactic scale, with all the FTL and soft sci fi stuff that entails. I'd like a one-system harder sci fi game too.

And it's sad negative recent reviews give a bad first impression. A recent huge free update removed some awkward gameplay systems to vastly improve the overall game. Some diehard fans are... overly loss averse and flipped the gently caress out. It's pretty unanimously praised in the SA thread.

The bad steam reviews are 99% China review-bombing the game for removing the semi-official chinese localization. You can easily grab a mod that adds it back in, but face has been lost over this grave nationalist insult. But in terms of the game itself it takes place in a very Trek-like setting of "space" which is a weird star and planet themed fantasy land that bears pretty much zero resemblance to actual space. What I've always wanted is a more hard scifi feeling strategy/empire builder set in something resembling the expanse universe.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

If you weren't aware, The books started out as an RPG/MMO and one of the writers went a little nuts writing the backstory. Long story short: The MMO was cancelled so the writers decided to take all that backstory and make a series of books.
So a lot of the groundwork for a game is already there. Who knows if anyone would spring for it.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
If you read their twitter I think they have mentioned a game that is being made. Not sure what kind of game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Collateral posted:

If you read their twitter I think they have mentioned a game that is being made. Not sure what kind of game.

Heres hoping for a KOTOR-like RPG

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

a kotor like rpg will never be made again

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

a kotor like rpg will never be made again

Ehh there is always Kickstarter.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

An Expanse board game already exists and is apparently even good, maybe that's what the Twitter was referring to?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Children of a Dead Earth is basically KSP but with hard-scifi combat. It's far more realistic than the Expanse setting (no magic drives, having to deal with heat management), but there are a lot more similarities to the setting than say Mass Effect or X-wing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Stellaris is okay but still a bit under construction. I did do a playthrough as a unified OPA once

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Eiba posted:

:shobon:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

loving blueballs bullshit.