Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lockback posted:

Even if you are staring at a long rebuild, I like asking the question "Will this guy be in a position and role to succeed in the next 2 years". I feel like we lean too much into nature vs nurture, how a guy develops is very tied into how you are able to play him during those first couple years.

I prefer the sixers rebuild where you just take the best player and worry about stupid things like position and roles later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Paul Zuvella posted:

I had a dream that the Griz traded Mike Conley and Marc Gasol to Cleveland

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way about Memphis. If they could find a team to track Chandler Parsons' contract off of them, they could improve quickly.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Kings take on Parsons for the #4 let's do this

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Wonder if Orlando and Houston are considering a trade.
https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/status/997253164192575488?s=19

edit:
It won't happen but I think the ideal draft for the Mavs involves Doncic deciding to not come to the NBA for a year, stay into the draft, and fall to Dallas. Then Dallas is terrible again for one more lotto pick.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 18, 2018

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
why is okc interviewing a top 10 pick when they don't have a pick let alone the assets to get into the top 10

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is their one chance to interview guys because they can’t really do it once they are on another team

They put the interview into the file and have it if they want to trade for the guy later or sign him

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He could also fall pretty far if his medicals come back badly

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I’m talking myself into second tier prospects pretty well now. Bamba is a physical freak! Triple J is projected to be good! Michael Porter was the top pick before the back injury! Trae Young might be like Steph Curry!

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

NickRoweFillea posted:

I’m talking myself into second tier prospects pretty well now. Bamba is a physical freak! Triple J is projected to be good! Michael Porter was the top pick before the back injury! Trae Young might be like Steph Curry!

It's a pretty good year for that, really, if you're 1-7 or so. Theoretical ceilings are pretty good on most of those guys, so you can really let yourself go.

Bamba needs to do some audio books or something; throw on an interview, and drift off to dreamland.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It would not be surprising at all if the best player to come out of this draft falls anywhere in the lottery.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

NickRoweFillea posted:

Bamba's wingspan is fuckin nuts. He's grown on me mostly because some guy on r/suns always calls him BIDIBIDIBAMBA

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Are y’all more confident in Bagley or Bamba

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Personally I don't like how Bagley gets pushed around.

When KU and Duke played in the Elite Eight Bagley was basically a non factor when guarded by 6-7 205lb Euro Svi Mykhailiuk

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Doltos posted:

I prefer the sixers rebuild where you just take the best player and worry about stupid things like position and roles later.

All jokes aside, that's a true question of teambuilding philosophy, the Celtics were fine with drafting players who needed specific roles to really shine, while Hinkie was thinking about how close to impossible it is to win a championship without one of the best 2 or 3 players and then even more star power, fit, position, etc be damned. I guess we'll see what happens!!! In the upcoming years!!!!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean...if that were true wouldn't they have taken Kristaps over Okafor? I thought the idea was Okafor and Embiid could play together.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

NickRoweFillea posted:

I'd take Bagley before Bamba, I think both have a nice ceiling but I think Bagley has more NBA skills right now. I also think Bagley will probably need to play next to a real rim protector, but that's ok.

I also think Bagley will probably go #3 right now though.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I think I'm falling into that trap where I become enamored with a lot of the periphery things regarding Bamba. He's certainly a culture fit with Dallas (he reminds me a lot of Harrison Barnes in that regard, listening to him speak), but at a certain point, they just need talent.

And none of that is to say I don't want them to take him, or I don't think he's talented. It just probably shouldn't be my focus. Or theirs, certainly.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

kiimo posted:

I mean...if that were true wouldn't they have taken Kristaps over Okafor? I thought the idea was Okafor and Embiid could play together.

All the rumors since that draft said Okafor was an ownership pick and Hinkie wanted Zinger

I'd take JJJ #3 right now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

NickRoweFillea posted:

Bagley is probably a little safer, but I'd take Bamba because his upside defensively is so high and he has a more obvious role as a NBA starter. With Bagley i think you really have to buy into his jumper to think he's gonna be more than a bench guy in the Greg Monroe mold (which isn't the worst thing but not necessarily what you want in a top 4 pick) where his offense is good but not good enough to justify the hit you take defensively by playing him starter minutes.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 18, 2018

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Saw someone posit a trade
4th overall 2018 for
Terry Terror, MEM 1st 2019, SAC 1st 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They're trading the best point guard in the league and you want them to throw in picks???? smh

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Okafor was a better prospect than Bagley. Maybe Bagley will end up in a better situation and also will have more of a desire to pick up those things that Okafor is missing but I do not have a lot of faith in him.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

NickRoweFillea posted:

Saw someone posit a trade
4th overall 2018 for
Terry Terror, MEM 1st 2019, SAC 1st 2019

Terry will probably have to get traded at some point but including both of those picks with him for 4 this year seems like something Danny Ainge wouldn't do in a billion years

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Hahah

https://twitter.com/NickFriedell/status/997598535091548160

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

All the rumors since that draft said Okafor was an ownership pick and Hinkie wanted Zinger

I'd take JJJ #3 right now

Didn't Porzingis refuse to workout for the 76ers?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

I love when athletes and/or their trainers make impossible claims like this :allears:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

FakePoet posted:

It's a pretty good year for that, really, if you're 1-7 or so. Theoretical ceilings are pretty good on most of those guys, so you can really let yourself go.

Bamba needs to do some audio books or something; throw on an interview, and drift off to dreamland.

it's 1-6, whoever the bulls draft at 7 is a guaranteed bust

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Terry will probably have to get traded at some point but including both of those picks with him for 4 this year seems like something Danny Ainge wouldn't do in a billion years

quote:

Terry Rozier is called “Biological Son” (亲儿子) or “The Crown Prince” (太子) because Celtics GM Danny Ainge is so reluctant to trade him that he must be Ainge’s biological son or the heir to his kingdom. This is even funnier than it sounds because these same nicknames had been used previously for Austin Rivers, who of course is Doc Rivers’ actual biological son. So in other words people are saying that Rozier is Danny Ainge’s Austin Rivers.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Metapod posted:

Fire dumb man and hire me

I'll hire you to GM my goon staffed team but heads up that I plan to be a more meddling owner than actively alcoholic James Dolan

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The Glumslinger posted:

Didn't Porzingis refuse to workout for the 76ers?

Zinger had the same shithead agent, Andy Miller, as Noel. Hinkie was totally in love with Porzingis

sum
Nov 15, 2010

FakePoet posted:

That's the narrative every year

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

When KU and Duke played in the Elite Eight Bagley was basically a non factor when guarded by 6-7 205lb Euro Svi Mykhailiuk

True, but then I think of those Duke-UNC games where Bagley altered anything that came close to the basket, and it's tough for me to reconcile those two together. I'm more inclined to believe in the Bagley from the UNC games will be the one (eventually) in the league than the Kansas one, but I'm not the captain of draft analysis.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

sum posted:

That's the narrative every year

I still have a lot of players to watch so maybe those are the good ones, but I'd actually say this draft has the potential to be, not good.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Any chance Diallo falls to the Bulls at 22(21?)

He is my irrational blind faith sure fire hit pick this year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

kiimo posted:

He looks like he can easily put on more weight. He also tries really hard so I guess he's a shorter, thinner KAT with a worse offensive game?

Rick posted:

Okafor was a better prospect than Bagley. Maybe Bagley will end up in a better situation and also will have more of a desire to pick up those things that Okafor is missing but I do not have a lot of faith in him.

Isn't Bagley way better on the pick and roll than Okafor could ever hope to be?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Bamba played a ton of minutes with Dylan Ostekowski (brawny white pf) taking on stronger guys at the point of attack so that he could stay home at the basket when most other centers would have been matched up.

He's going to need that kind of help, Gobert had Derrick Favors while he was getting stronger, and I assume whoever drafts him will want something similar. Texas holds down elite prospects, so he may be better than he looks on video.
__
Marvin Bagley is like an NFL slot receiver, he does well manuevering through bodies to catch lobs and to get one dribble away from the basket. On defense, zone aside, he played like that was the part of the game he understood, he'd play passing lanes and stop guys at the points he usually slid around in. I don't know if I've seen him block anyone who didn't look unathletic and small (dog whistle). Could a good team teach him how to read offenses and be a true center? gently caress if I know, Duke didn't even try. His jumper looks cool but it's clunky and slower than it looks, fixing that would open up the space he needs to do his best work. He rebounds with an attitude, which is nice to see. His team success will be contingent on his team finding a 5 who can cover his weaknesses.

____
Deandre Ayton makes me think of pre-injury Greg Oden with less power, on offense. He's not as much of a beast, but he has similar ability to pivot and pop little jumpers in, flick shots off his wrist, and generally get as many points as he'd like at the basket.

Dexo posted:

He's fallen way beyond that, mid-second round. He's has the measurements to be a sg along with good athleticism numbers, he doesn't really look that athletic on court. His shot is a bit wonky and while he has all the tools, he has a low bball iq and it shows on both sides of the floor. Bad defender in general and a very inefficient chucker on offense.

You'd have to teach him basketball and put him in good situation, open driving lanes, lots of time for his jumper, an assigned role that he doesn't deviate from on defense.

He should rise because of his tools, but he's never looked especially good post high school. He would be a developmental project.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 19, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

True, but then I think of those Duke-UNC games where Bagley altered anything that came close to the basket, and it's tough for me to reconcile those two together. I'm more inclined to believe in the Bagley from the UNC games will be the one (eventually) in the league than the Kansas one, but I'm not the captain of draft analysis.

He blocked less than one shot a game in college as a near seven footer, that is really bad

Dexo posted:

He's a second rounder at best

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Yahoo's saying that:

Phoenix is willing to trade the #1 pick (not a terrible idea if they can address more than one need) https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-notebook-phoenix-suns-open-trading-top-pick-094056682--nba.html

The Lakers might be cleaning house, and nobody is untouchable (probably for the purpose of making runs at the huge names on the UFA list plus a trade for Leonard, I'd assume) https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-lakers-telling-teams-no-player-untouchable-152149291--nba.html

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I initially thought MPJ would fall to 7-9, but im feeling pick at #4 now, whether its Memphis or someone trading up. You think Clips trading Harris and #12/13 would do it? I think that would give Memphis the best team next year, although not for the future. Heck then flip those picks for another not quite an all star.

PS Can we get a draft game going where we choose a team and play gm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The NBA draft isn't like the NFL draft. Quality is more important than quantity. Trading down only works if the guy you wanted all along will be there (Tatum) or if the trading partner sucks at evaluating talent (McBuckets)

• Locked thread