Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Momentum isn't real. Bulletin-board material isn't real. Locker-room chemistry isn't real. The idea that pro athletes are there to show up and cash checks and need some sort of special motivation to excel and win exists only to fill airtime and column inches.

I was thinking about this at the game, when the room got deathly quiet after one of the Caps' handful of big fuckups. You read in columns sometimes where coaches or whoever talk about "taking the crowd out of the game." Or especially as it concerns Washington, how the groans from the stands lending a sense of impending doom or some poo poo that affects how the game is played on the ice.

But that's such horseshit. People showed up ready to cheer — they just need something to cheer about. If the team on the ice plays sloppy and scared after giving up a go-ahead goal, why is there any expectation that the crowd would somehow forgive them and get them going again? A crowd is reactive, it's the people on the ice that make things happen.

And by people on the ice I mean the refs too. The Caps momentum after that first goal was squelched completely by what felt like dozens of whistles in the ensuing few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ElwoodCuse posted:

Momentum isn't real. Bulletin-board material isn't real. Locker-room chemistry isn't real. The idea that pro athletes are there to show up and cash checks and need some sort of special motivation to excel and win exists only to fill airtime and column inches.

These things are all real and can matter at the margins. The tremendous mistake old school hockey journalists/coaches/dumb players make is believing that the degree to which they matter might outweigh a moderate or severe lack of actual hockey skill.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

glynnenstein posted:

These things are all real and can matter at the margins. The tremendous mistake old school hockey journalists/coaches/dumb players make is believing that the degree to which they matter might outweigh a moderate or severe lack of actual hockey skill.

Also the degree to which these things are controllable, or rather within the purview of one player to control.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/997529851027509249

oh man i want to see this

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
This "oh they played real well" is bullshit. Consolation horse poo poo like this doesnt exist at this point in the Capitals. This isnt some plucky underdog team with mostly young players. If you play well then you loving WIN. Period. And that doesnt mean theyre going to play "well" the next game. For all we know they will crap the bed.

This is the playoffs. This is a best-of-7. You win or you lose. There is no "played well".

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Kawalimus posted:

This "oh they played real well" is bullshit. Consolation horse poo poo like this doesnt exist at this point in the Capitals. This isnt some plucky underdog team with mostly young players. If you play well then you loving WIN. Period. And that doesnt mean theyre going to play "well" the next game. For all we know they will crap the bed.

This is the playoffs. This is a best-of-7. You win or you lose. There is no "played well".

The better team doesn't always win this isn't tennis

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Veskit posted:

Yeah, just look at the 2017-2018 Caps-Pens playoff match-up. :v:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Veskit posted:

It's Kawalimus. He bitches when his team wins because they didn't win good enough for him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol if you're taking kawalimus seriously in TYOOL 2018

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
I think Jaroslav loving Halak and the 2010 playoffs should disabuse any Capitals fan from the notion of the best team always winning. 7 games is a small sample size. poo poo happens. poo poo happens a lot to the Capitals. Hopefully this year the poo poo happens to the other team, but if it doesn’t there is nothing that we as observers could have done to change the poo poo that happened.

Gunjin fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 18, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Kawalimus posted:

You don't even watch the games, how can you possibly comment on whether they played well

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

MANime in the sheets posted:

You don't even watch the games, how can you possibly comment on whether they played well

Because I got an approved recording of a Bicknell's Thrush early this morning :smug:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

glynnenstein posted:

yeah, I get that the analytics movements went hard in one way, but athletes are people and not robots

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

yet

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kawalimus posted:

This would be true if both series were over

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Lessail posted:

yeah, I get that the analytics movements went hard in one way, but athletes are people and not robots

Yeah I don't think Vegas playing like they have something to prove is THE REASON they're getting lucky and having career years but I'd think that locker room is full of guys who want to show up the managers and coaches who thought they weren't worth protecting which probably helps the luck factor a bit.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Vegas is this far because of Fleury whose split with the Penguins was 100% amicable. The Penguins could have unloaded him on anyone not on his list at the trade deadline if they thought he sucked and wasn't worth a second thought

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
dale tallon needs to be tried for crimes against humanity

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Vegas will win the Stanley Cup

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
If Vegas wins the cup can we also get gun law reform

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

wow this loving sucks

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
If a luck based team can win 3 in a row, a skill based team can come back and finish the last 3.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i am the bird posted:

one miracle at a time mate

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

News: The Vegas Golden Knights are a win away from playing for the Stanley Cup

Views: :getin:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Number19 posted:

News: The Vegas Golden Knights are a win away from playing for the Stanley Cup

Views: :getin:

it's not quite the climactic good v evil vgk vs pens final i was secretly hoping for but this is still magical to watch

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/997652618766774272

put this on my headstone

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

i am the bird posted:

No but they'll all take a picture with Trump doing the thumbs up.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Maybe losing will mean Winnipeg hires a new coach to push them over the edge

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

i am the bird posted:

Maurice is getting out coached pretty well by Gallant but so did everyone else this year. I don’t think there’s a better option out there for the Jets

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Series ain't over until one team wins four games, but VGK are exceedingly well positioned to do so.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
What’s quebecois for “suck my rear end in a top hat Marc”

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Lessail posted:

Series ain't over until one team wins four games, but VGK are exceedingly well positioned to do so.

you've been bitching constantly for three rounds with wild success

can you teach me how to do that

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

FBS posted:

He's channeling kawalimus

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Keep the shade coming for the Knights, it feeds me, makes me stronger

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I personally can't wait for MAF and his team of nobodies to win the cup. It's a pretty cool story.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

FBS posted:

It is called posting from the heart

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

i am the bird posted:

first time to the conference finals? No way dude.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Lessail posted:

It is called posting from the heart

but can you put it in a chart?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Keep the shade coming for the Knights, it feeds me, makes me stronger

were you.. actually posting at all about the knights during the regular season? I don't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
bill is good people

• Locked thread