Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I absolutely blamed my team every single time I lost with 1000+ damage in a quad ppc warhawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

peer posted:

man I did like a thousand damage in that match

Almost

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

haha okay it must have been the next one stop doxxing me!!!

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Can I get an invite to WoL? Name in game is CraftyApe.

Also is there any reason why I shouldn't use my accumulated GXP to skill out this hellbringer I just bought and fit?

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 19, 2018

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Space Monster posted:

Can I get an invite to WoL? Name in game is CraftyApe.

Also is there any reason why I shouldn't use my accumulated GXP to skill out this hellbringer I just bought and fit?

how much you got?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Space Monster posted:

Do you plan to use that Hellbringer a lot? If yes, that's a good reason to not spend GXP on it.

GXP is extremely hard to acquire. Once you burn through the initial cadet bonus of ~50k you won't be seeing that much again for a long time. It's best to save it for when you really need it.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

People bitched that the Blood Asp's shoulder mounts don't look enough like the concept art. PGI listened, and is planning to do this,

Fans: No more excuses! We demand the atrocious geometry promised by the promo mockups!

PGI: Uhhh, okay.

Fans: Hooray! Our side torsos burst in jubilation!

The only reason I can see why anyone would of wanted to fight for this so hard is to simply have the bloodasp be the king of the hills.

Its a shame too as the bloodasp is one of my personal favourite mechs and I liked the now old look

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Maybe you will be able to folder he shoulder guns away like on a robot from a good video game

peer
Jan 17, 2004

help what do I put on my mech to get this type of zoomed-in view

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Advanced zoom - 4 deep in the sensor tree in the skill grid, off on its own branch. Not sure what the default keybind is for it. Perhaps X or Z?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Marathanes posted:

Advanced zoom - 4 deep in the sensor tree in the skill grid, off on its own branch. Not sure what the default keybind is for it. Perhaps X or Z?

Thanks!

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018
Why not just give the blood asp's hunches their own hitboxes? Why not do the same thing with all mechs that have hunches or weapon pods? Too hard for pgi?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hitboxes for what? If you mean creating an entirely new component with its own armor and structure, independent of the side torsos then yes, that would hard. More than hard, it would go against some very fundamental laws of how MWO and every Battletech related game ever has functioned.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
This thing is really fun although bad I am sure:

If you can get into a good position it tears assaults to pieces real fast.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
So this Annihilator build is really amazing on the new Solaris map or if you live long enough to get into a brawl.

It's dumb I know but I love it, you just fire everything for ages and it manages heat really well.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

This thing is really fun although bad I am sure:

If you can get into a good position it tears assaults to pieces real fast.

That thing has too much rear armor and next to no ammo. I would lose the ML's and slot in more UAC5 shots.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

That thing has too much rear armor and next to no ammo. I would lose the ML's and slot in more UAC5 shots.

That might have to happen. The ammo isn't actually an issue with the missile rack and magazine skills. We'll see, its pretty new.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

That might have to happen. The ammo isn't actually an issue with the missile rack and magazine skills. We'll see, its pretty new.

It's too little ammo, and the build screams beginner, try this: BLACK WIDOW

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

Fair enough. I do like the MRMs though. And as you know I am def a beginner, ha.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

Not a valid build, not enough heatsinks.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Drone_Fragger posted:

Not a valid build, not enough heatsinks.

Ah that's what I get for trying to be nice and not keep the XL that was in it to begin with.
Here's the real, working, build: https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=385&l=b5a5f3dbd32509ac4a19f0aec3c672dadd077a46

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

How Disgusting posted:

Why not just give the blood asp's hunches their own hitboxes? Why not do the same thing with all mechs that have hunches or weapon pods? Too hard for pgi?

Yeah why not just give a bunch of mechs free extra hitpoints and make the hitbox system even more complicated than it already is??

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Didn't MW4 give the Timber Wolf extra hit boxes for the missile pods?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Fil5000 posted:

Didn't MW4 give the Timber Wolf extra hit boxes for the missile pods?

It did for all the mechs with "ears".

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Been enjoying light mechs. Can I get a sweet K9 build? Anyone else have light mech builds with a massive alpha?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Been enjoying light mechs. Can I get a sweet K9 build? Anyone else have light mech builds with a massive alpha?

Here's the K-9 I usually roll with.

K-9

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

And Tyler Too! posted:

K-9

Any reason to not toss something in ballistics arm?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Heavy and ammo dependant probably. That said, I build a Gauss Urbie in HBS BT and it was hilarious. May have to try that in MWO

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Any reason to not toss something in ballistics arm?

It's a dead arm for soaking damage, abuse your 360 torso twisting. If you really want to put a LMG in there you can toss the AMS or some jumpjets but having only one LMG doesn't feel worth it imo.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 19, 2018

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

And Tyler Too! posted:

K-9

And here's the good version: K-9

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I roll with MPLs sometimes but then I remember I like not overheating after 3 volleys. I can shoot forever with 5 MLs.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I finally got access to the account I bought a founders pack with back when the game released and have been playing this game for the first time in many years. It’s a lot more fun that I remember, honestly.

I’m sort of struggling to make good loadouts for my mechs though. I’ve got a founders version of the Atlas, a hero Cataphract called something like the Ilya Muromets and a Centurion I think is also a hero (Lo Wang maybe?) Can someone help me come up with some good builds? I’ve mostly been playing that Cataphract and running around with a pair of UAC5s and some medium pulse lasers but I feel like this could be better.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pendent posted:

I finally got access to the account I bought a founders pack with back when the game released and have been playing this game for the first time in many years. It’s a lot more fun that I remember, honestly.

I’m sort of struggling to make good loadouts for my mechs though. I’ve got a founders version of the Atlas, a hero Cataphract called something like the Ilya Muromets and a Centurion I think is also a hero (Lo Wang maybe?) Can someone help me come up with some good builds? I’ve mostly been playing that Cataphract and running around with a pair of UAC5s and some medium pulse lasers but I feel like this could be better.

I just yanked these off a spreadsheet full of builds. But I would actually run with all of these because I like cannons.

Yen Low Wang

https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=45&l=85365f553d6cb42a60836632f3fcbbee95d5840e

Ilya

https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=54&l=8f5d7aea71b99d18937141ec04720b2145615647

https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=54&l=1fe1b7f703abc8bfaa72ba18beac0c3b9940833d

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool, it looks like I was sort of on the right track. I like the cannons a lot myself but wasn’t sure what’s considered good.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Are Snub-Nose PPCs, Light PPCs and/or Heavy PPCs any good? What kind of mech would I want to install any of them on?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

light PPCs on light mechs sounds hilarious.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

peer posted:

Are Snub-Nose PPCs, Light PPCs and/or Heavy PPCs any good? What kind of mech would I want to install any of them on?

Snub nose PPCs are just PPCs without the minimum range but less range. They're still pretty poo poo for brawling because they're quite hot but have some niche uses on mechs like IS AC20 + 2SNPPC for 40 pinpoint, but honestly, that's super niche and not very good.

Light PPCs don't offer much utility because they have no real advantage over a normal PPC but still count toward the ghost heat limit for PPCs. Unlike the light gauss rifle which has a faster projectile and longer range etc., the light PPC is just half a PPC with different slot/weight requirements.

Heavy PPCs are pretty good, arguably better than normal PPCs because they have the same heat eff. but with a bigger alpha which matters more for PPCs. Only downside is that you can't reasonably mount four of them on any mech, three is awkward because of ghost heat, and just two is okay on some mediums but they do run a bit hot. Still better than cER PPCs because all the damage hits one spot; but without the clan DHS advantage.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Just adding a UAC10 to the Muromets is making a huge difference for me already. Is there a way to keep my cannons from jamming all the time though? It's getting pretty obnoxious.

Edit: I also don’t fully understand the falloff mechanics. If I’m able to score hits out at over a kilometer away with the UAC-5s is it worth taking those shots or is it a waste of ammo?

Pendent fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 20, 2018

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Some mechs have jam chance reduction quirks. The skill tree has two nodes that reduce jam time. Don't use UACs to push into an enemy unless you are cool dying to RNG. Instead peek out of cover, fire the gently caress out of your guns until you're jammed and then slip away to unjam.

Whether or not it's worth plinking is up to you. If you're able to move just fine while doing it, have spare ammo, and don't care about revealing your position, get some free damage while you can I guess. It won't do much but it will annoy some people and make bad pilots take cover when they don't need to. For the most part though stick to your optimal weapon ranges, or you run the risk of shooting for very little damage and getting hit from someone who does much more damage at that range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Cool, thanks. So Heavy PPCs if I can fit them, other types no thanks unless I really want one for brawling for some reason. One more question, for you or anyone else: most laser boats I see mount almost exclusively pulse versions. Do I ever want ER or Heavy lasers instead? I know they have different ranges, damage and heat values and so on, and seem to be (mostly) translated directly from tabletop stats, but are pulses preferable as an all-purpose kind of thing?