Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug
A Westworld Actress Says Fans Keep 'Mansplaining' the Show to Her

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-westworld-actress-says-fans-keep-mansplaining-the-sho-1826139098

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

How is that "mansplaining"? Is it only male fans? Wouldn't it be "fansplaining"?

Also,

quote:

That said, Woodward doesn’t know everything. She said she was surprised when it turned out Bernard was a host, saying she was “being lied to by literally everyone,” including actor Jeffrey Wright. And for season two, the show has taken even more precautions to ensure that actors don’t know too much about what’s going on. She said actors have been filming sequences out of order, and don’t know their place in the overall narrative.

poo poo, there was some interview with Wright or Wood where they were said they were trying to compare notes and figure out when certain scenes take place in S2 during filming. None of the actors know the whole story.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yes, I think she was implying they were men, hence the term.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Hosts tired of humans guestsplaining consciousness and the right to be.

Creativeforce56
May 26, 2016
William could run a PVP server while Ford could do the vanilla quest server. It seems they had plenty of territory to set that up.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's very sad and hilarious that ERW and Shannon Woodward willingly burn free time on something akin to TVIV. I'm not rich or famous and most of the time I'm like "goddamn why the hell do I do this?".

Go start a vodka brand or do drugs or something jesus.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I wish the word mansplaining would die a slow and agonizing death.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's very sad and hilarious that ERW and Shannon Woodward willingly burn free time on something akin to TVIV. I'm not rich or famous and most of the time I'm like "goddamn why the hell do I do this?".

On the other hand, this is the Brave New World where we fans can interact with the creators, writers, and actors in a way impossible 40 years ago. The final form being when the Fans Become The Creators (i.e. Current Doctor Who Showrunners/Writers/Actors)

Creativeforce56
May 26, 2016

esperterra posted:

What are we gonna use? Logicsplaining? Does not have that ring to it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Astroman posted:

On the other hand, this is the Brave New World where we fans can interact with the creators, writers, and actors in a way impossible 40 years ago. The final form being when the Fans Become The Creators (i.e. Current Doctor Who Showrunners/Writers/Actors)

It's nice and all but like why would I ever do it so much that I'm not even talking to people who enjoy talking to me and I enjoy talking to anymore. Like the second I started feeling like this is a chore or someones being an rear end in a top hat I'd be like lol gently caress this I'm rich I'm gonna go outside and get a steak or buy some cool shoes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

esperterra posted:

Maybe it would if certain people would stop doing the specific rude act that it perfectly describes at such a rate that it warranted having a word.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Honestly the word just makes me embarrassed as a woman tbh. It's not as if we don't shittily explain things to eachother in a way that's talking down, as well. It really doesn't warrant a gendered word imho.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

esperterra posted:

Honestly the word just makes me embarrassed as a woman tbh. It's not as if we don't shittily explain things to eachother in a way that's talking down, as well. It really doesn't warrant a gendered word imho.

If you don't think it's a good or useful word, then feel free to not use it. Those of us who do will continue to do so.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Also what if instead of an actual Ark, the woke hosts and their companions figured out that the new storage method for human->host has a lot more storage space than a single host actually needs and they all smuggled themselves out in a single (or a few) body? And then flooded themselves as cover?

Seems logical if you're able to store enough park IP in a single host to try and satellite smuggle.

I've been wondering if that's not what's happened with Present Day Bernard. At the very least, I'm edging toward it being Dolores in there instead of Teddy - her cavalier attitude to killing off 'unworthy' hosts in ep3, basically saying not everyone deserves to get to Heaven, would tie in with Bernard's 'I killed them' at the end of the first episode. Teddy showing up in the water would make sense, since, after seeing him free the captured Confederados, his worthiness has clearly dropped in her estimation. I don't know if they'll wind up being some gestalt personality in there, with all the hosts essentially faking their death and uploading themselves to some big server that happens to be/be in The Valley Beyond or Glory or whatever we're calling it this week, but I can easily see her being at the forefront of whoever's lurking in Bernard's brain muffin.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Well let's hope the mansplaining derail ends soon.

It's man-noying.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Wait do you mean reddit? Isn't that like TVIV with no rules and also misogyny and also emptyquoting is the most popular form of response? :reddit::hf:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Did the article actually mention they spend time on some TV forum? I thought that in general they just get fans having these discussions with them possibly irl, at which point people tell them they don't know poo poo. And mansplaining is a thing hth.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's nice and all but like why would I ever do it so much that I'm not even talking to people who enjoy talking to me and I enjoy talking to anymore. Like the second I started feeling like this is a chore or someones being an rear end in a top hat I'd be like lol gently caress this I'm rich I'm gonna go outside and get a steak or buy some cool shoes.

That's probably how Shannon Woodward feels, but I'm pretty sure guys like Stephen Moffat or David Tennant would argue minutia with fans ALL DAY LONG.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

But then your clone decides it needs a vacation, and hey, this WW thing sounds cool - and eventually the park is overrun by clone vacationers.

*picks up WW brochure*
“It doesn’t look like anything to me.”

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Clocks posted:

Did the article actually mention they spend time on some TV forum? I thought that in general they just get fans having these discussions with them possibly irl, at which point people tell them they don't know poo poo. And mansplaining is a thing hth.

Actually...

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dancer posted:

If you don't think it's a good or useful word, then feel free to not use it. Those of us who do will continue to do so.

Is this just plain splaining then

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pirate Radar posted:

Is this just plain splaining then

:thunk:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

esperterra posted:

I've actually seen a blogpost where someone argued that when a woman talks down to a woman, it should also be called mansplaining. Dunno. Something something feminism.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Oh, more fool me!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How do you "mansplain" WW without misuse the word? Somebody goonsplain to me.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I just see it more as insufferable nerds being insufferable. I've known more than a few women who'll go mind-numbingly indepth with their fan theories and explain why you're wrong about seemingly straightforward things.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

whatever7 posted:

How do you "mansplain" WW without misuse the word? Somebody goonsplain to me.
As I understand the word, mansplaining is basically being condescending - but your sense of superiority comes specifically from being a man. Obviously some people are like that no matter who they're talking to, but there are definitely dudes who think being a dude means being able to argue about any subject with authority - even when arguing women who any neutral observer would identify as the authority on the subject. I think having actually acted the scenes might qualify an actress as a greater authority on a show than some random nerd.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
I could happily watch some more scenes of Ed Harris mansplaining death and other misunderstood concepts to people. Preferably with broken bottles and distinctive incidental music.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Intel&Sebastian posted:

...it was not a great look for them to kick off S2 with a modern white dude scalping a dead Native...

This was the one that bugged me the most, because they're wasn't a great narrative justification for it. They clearly set up that moment to happen, with those people, in that way, just to be edgy. "Dude, imagine this shot... A real switcheroo, right? Right, brah?"

It was such a shallow, lazy shock moment, and a show this smart should be above that.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 19, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Trustworthy posted:

"Dude, imagine this shot... A real switcheroo, right? Right, brah?"
Scalping was historically done by white Americans too, against American Indians (and each other). It's not really a switcheroo.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Scalping was historically done by white Americans too, against American Indians (and each other). It's not really a switcheroo.

Oh come on, obviously I'm talking about the broadest, by far most pop-culturally ingrained stereotype of Indians scalping white people.

Being flipped solely for cheap shock moment on a show about a cowboys and Indians theme park.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 19, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Trustworthy posted:

It was such a shallow, lazy shock moment, and a show this smart should be above that.

Add in the rail workers killing people by putting them under the tracks and driving spikes through them to this list too.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
They also had to bring up the scalp tattoo again so :shrug:

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Maybe that tattoo is just a QR code for authentication, like the Nescafé pods. “Unsupported muffin detected, please call customer support.”

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WampaLord posted:

Add in the rail workers killing people by putting them under the tracks and driving spikes through them to this list too.

They also like to stage very gruesome repaire scenes of the hosts like they are in a Tarantino movie.

"Why don't the hosts have USB ports so you can terminal in to wipe the brain?"
My imaginary Nolans answer is, "Robot is oppressed people! We have to hammer home the analogy!"

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 19, 2018

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I just see it more as insufferable nerds being insufferable. I've known more than a few women who'll go mind-numbingly indepth with their fan theories and explain why you're wrong about seemingly straightforward things.

Female fans would never do such a thing. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my essay on why Sam and Dean are destined to have sex.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Trustworthy posted:

Oh come on, obviously I'm talking about the broadest, by far most pop-culturally ingrained stereotype of Indians scalping white people.

Being flipped solely for cheap shock moment on a show about a cowboys and Indians theme park.

Scalping was a thing in both cultures long before either met each other. I think it's just a common human trophy thing. Same reason why taking ears/fingers was common through out different civilizations. They're just easy trophies.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Solice Kirsk posted:

Scalping was a thing in both cultures long before either met each other. I think it's just a common human trophy thing. Same reason why taking ears/fingers was common through out different civilizations. They're just easy trophies.

Scalps and ears and noses have always been popular because each person only has one. Fingers are easy to chop but the others are unique per person so it’s like a register of kills. The scalp was for the hair knot or whatever it’s called and ears are obvious.

I don’t think it was trying to be some kind of social statement just showing how they get in there and having a callback to the maze tattoo.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

Scalps and ears and noses have always been popular because each person only has one.

Someone may have shortchanged you shortly after birth, amigo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

As I understand the word, mansplaining is basically being condescending - but your sense of superiority comes specifically from being a man. Obviously some people are like that no matter who they're talking to, but there are definitely dudes who think being a dude means being able to argue about any subject with authority - even when arguing women who any neutral observer would identify as the authority on the subject. I think having actually acted the scenes might qualify an actress as a greater authority on a show than some random nerd.

It's one of those things that definitely happens, but dumb people that are obviously wrong about something and can't defend their position have co-opted it as a get out of being wrong free card.

And yeah, guys are typically condescending to each other all the time and a lot of people aren't used to it.

Anywho, I just rewatched the first four eps of this season and they flow WAY more well that way than watching week to week. In fact, this season actually watches a bit better than S1 on a binge.

Darko fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 19, 2018