Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Sorry but that story seems bogus to me. Nobody stood up and clapped at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I did.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

But it started as a solitary slow clap.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Also no one pointed out that the kid… was inhuman!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

That's the studio audience.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Torquemada posted:

Also no one pointed out that the kid… was inhuman!

I'm sure it was <teleports behind him> nothing personal, kid.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

And I married them!

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Spoilers for Infinity Wars if that's still a thing.

When I went to the "midnight"* showing of Infinity Wars, there weren't many people there. (People going with groups of friends to movies almost always have my city be the one that's out of the way for everybody, so opening nights are really dead.). At the end, the entire theater was silent for obvious reasons, when the Avengers Logo comes on and then turns to dust. My fiance says "Hey, shouldn't only half the letters have disappeared?" I think everyone (all like, 15 tops?) in the theater laughed. Probably more because it was a tension reliever after that ending than anything though. Also, when Spidey is going one dude behind us started going "No no oh god no don't do this to me no" really loudly. Which honestly made me feel better about how I'd been openly crying for like 20 minutes straight at that point.

That's my story of something that happened to me that made me think of this thread.

*It was like 7:30 at night. How do these not just count as opening day at this point?

Edit: GDI this was the wrong thread.

Araenna has a new favorite as of 20:31 on May 19, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sounds like the movie didn't make you feel so good.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It was hard to understand from the Wikipedia page for it since it’s like 90% names being thrown around and I’m not a comics book or movies fan but it looks like they killed off like half their franchise characters lol which I’m sure will be reversed in the next film or two since it’s a comic book movie

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Aesop Poprock posted:

It was hard to understand from the Wikipedia page for it since it’s like 90% names being thrown around and I’m not a comics book or movies fan but it looks like they killed off like half their franchise characters lol which I’m sure will be reversed in the next film or two since it’s a comic book movie

Was anyone really surprised that Superman didn't stay dead?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Araenna posted:

Spoilers for Infinity Wars if that's still a thing.

when the Avengers Logo comes on and then turns to dust. My fiance says "Hey, shouldn't only half the letters have disappeared?"

Extremely subtle but the last two letters to go were I I

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aesop Poprock posted:

It's based on a 90s comic that did exactly that by the end of issue 6.

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Nobody went into Titanic wondering if the plucky boat was going to make it or not.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Davros1 posted:

Was anyone really surprised that Superman didn't stay dead?

sort of, yes

a beloved pop icon dying in a dumb comicbook storyline became a story that actually hit mainstream news outlets back in the early 90s causing like ~7 million people, mostly normals swayed by the sudden coverage and unaware of how modern comics work, to buy the death of superman issue in huge store-filling mobs to pour out a last one for supes while inadvertently creating a widespread belief that superman would actually stay dead... tho most hardcore nerds got the feeling the death was a publicity stunt seeing as they always are in comics

the extra interest massively raised sales for the next story arc, a world without superman, but then it was a weirdly disappointing/frustrating public event when superman came back in the return of superman arc and from the backlash of people who felt deceived by fake comicbook death and vowed to drop comics forever DC felt like they managed things poorly enough on their end that later on they just broke batman's back instead of killing him; as far as i know DC, however, still mostly blames the media for not being well informed about the comics industry and ignorantly running a story that misled the public since most nerds actually familiar with the industry pretty much knew this wasn't going to stick

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Man, comic books are stupid and I'm glad I was never into them. It's just as, if not more so, embarrassing as being a huge anime fan that has real opinions on whether dubbed or subbed is better.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
And the whole reason for it was because Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman needed another season to set up /their/ Wedding Arc, and they wanted the comic book Clark/Lois wedding happen at the same time the tv show's Clark/Lois wedding did.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Also, the Superman death in the comics had 4 different Superman taking their place where for a time any single of one of them could have either taken up the mantle or been the real deal, somehow. The early 90s was a time of reinvention in the comics universe and I could have seen a lot of people thinking that killing/replacing Superman with someone new at the time could have been the best way to reinvent the character and keep the original version of him safe and untouched by changing times and the edgy new decade to come by letting some other version take the role.

It wouldn't be the first time or last time, either. They'd already changed up Supergirl by that point and she was a I think they constantly made to changes her character/origins multiple times between the 70s-90s. Original, some sort of alternate world shapeshifter, reborn angel. I think even Power Girl sometimes ties into it, too. Around the same time Barry Allen is/was replaced by Kid Flash, the Arrow/Lantern characters were eventually replaced by wholly new ones. Batman was, too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JediTalentAgent posted:

Also, the Superman death in the comics had 4 different Superman taking their place where for a time any single of one of them could have either taken up the mantle or been the real deal, somehow. The early 90s was a time of reinvention in the comics universe and I could have seen a lot of people thinking that killing/replacing Superman with someone new at the time could have been the best way to reinvent the character and keep the original version of him safe and untouched by changing times and the edgy new decade to come by letting some other version take the role.

It wouldn't be the first time or last time, either. They'd already changed up Supergirl by that point and she was a I think they constantly made to changes her character/origins multiple times between the 70s-90s. Original, some sort of alternate world shapeshifter, reborn angel. I think even Power Girl sometimes ties into it, too. Around the same time Barry Allen is/was replaced by Kid Flash, the Arrow/Lantern characters were eventually replaced by wholly new ones. Batman was, too.

Is that the one where Superman turns blue and gets lightning powers?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Man, comic books are stupid and I'm glad I was never into them. It's just as, if not more so, embarrassing as being a huge anime fan that has real opinions on whether dubbed or subbed is better.

They're literally just as bad as anime.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

fruit on the bottom posted:

Is that the one where Superman turns blue and gets lightning powers?

I think that happens a few years later.

I believe part of the rumor behind that was due to the ongoing lawsuits between the estates of the original Superman creators. Legend at the time was that DC did that in part to give Superman a whole new powerset/look so that if the lawsuit went against them in terms of some aspects of the Superman character (I think the traditional design and powers) they could still use A Superman.

I think it went as far as one issue where they expressly used it to explain how almost every one of his new powers did similar things but worked completely differently than his old ones.

As a strange aside to this, part of the Superman lawsuits I think had some people believing that the creators estates MIGHT HAVE not only been able to claim some partial rights over Superman, but potentially a huge part of the DC universe given how many characters first appeared with or had their origins directly tied to Superman.

edit: From a Superman lawsuits wiki...

quote:

The copyright to Action Comics #1 was in its renewal term on October 27, 1998, the date the Copyright Term Extension Act became effective, which means it will expire 95 years after it was first secured,[52] which is expected to be in 2033, barring further legislation.[8] Thus, in 2033, Superman as he is depicted in Action Comics #1 will likely become public domain, along with other story elements such as Lois Lane and the city of Metropolis. Some later developments of the character, such as his power of "heat vision" (introduced in a 1949 story), may not be available to unlicensed authors as they were introduced in works that will persist longer under copyright. Supporting characters such as Lana Lang, or locales such as the Fortress of Solitude, will also persist for longer in copyright.[53]

2033 is going to get pretty strange .

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 19:35 on May 19, 2018

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

I remember being confused when I read the trade paperback of Return of Superman that the Cyborg Superman clearly had some of Superman's memories, but turned out to be an imposter. The writers' way of explaining this seemed to be to never mention it again and hope the reader forgot about it. Finding out that the writers themselves probably didn't know what was going on explains things.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

maltesh posted:

And the whole reason for it was because Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman needed another season to set up /their/ Wedding Arc, and they wanted the comic book Clark/Lois wedding happen at the same time the tv show's Clark/Lois wedding did.

yeah as far as i know internally dc was just treating it as a very run-of-the-mill vehicle for exploring how things might play out if superman died and how the news might be received by metropolis, the other heroes and the wider world with the implicit understanding that no one who actually buys comics would take it so seriously but welp

to add fuel to the fire re: the backlash dc felt the general public in the 90s simultaneously understood that dumb 3 dollar comics can sometimes become valuable collector's items worth millions later on but at the same the public also poorly understood the concept of supply and demand so some people were legitimately upset that superman returned to life and ruined the future value of the death of superman comic thus killing their retirement nest eggs :shepface:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

hard counter posted:

yeah as far as i know internally dc was just treating it as a very run-of-the-mill vehicle for exploring how things might play out if superman died and how the news might be received by metropolis, the other heroes and the wider world with the implicit understanding that no one who actually buys comics would take it so seriously but welp

to add fuel to the fire re: the backlash dc felt the general public in the 90s simultaneously understood that dumb 3 dollar comics can sometimes become valuable collector's items worth millions later on but at the same the public also poorly understood the concept of supply and demand so some people were legitimately upset that superman returned to life and ruined the future value of the death of superman comic thus killing their retirement nest eggs :shepface:

The 90's were a weird time for that in general. Everybody thought that their baseball cards would be Honus Wagners someday while failing to realize that that's insanely valuable because only a couple hundred ever got made like 100 years ago. Now like eight are known to exist. Eight. People were collecting Beanie Babies like mad because of how much they were limited in their runs. These will totally be worth millions some day!!!

...then they weren't.

In the case of comics "FAMOUS CHARACTERS ARE DYING!!!!! :derp:" storylines became popular to do because so many comic series were failing. People just weren't as interested in superhero comics anymore as they'd been done to death. People figured out that very popular characters would never go away. Aside from that comic book superheroes just kept getting continually more powerful which led to the infinity gauntlet showing up. Which...well makes you God, basically. "I just felt like eliminating half of the life in the universe so I did. Lol gently caress you." Yes, and whoever having that gauntlet being God-like in power means that all that life is going to come back by the end of the series when somebody else gets their hand in it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Disney is going to add superman and metropolis to the marvel universe in 2033.

Garth Ennis will also write a story about superman being a rapist or something and get praised for it.

Gaunab has a new favorite as of 20:36 on May 19, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Garth Ennis actually likes Superman and has written some very good stories with him
:goonsay:

edit: as far as comics go, of course

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The 90's were a weird time for that in general. Everybody thought that their baseball cards would be Honus Wagners someday while failing to realize that that's insanely valuable because only a couple hundred ever got made like 100 years ago. Now like eight are known to exist. Eight. People were collecting Beanie Babies like mad because of how much they were limited in their runs. These will totally be worth millions some day!!!

...then they weren't.

In the case of comics "FAMOUS CHARACTERS ARE DYING!!!!! :derp:" storylines became popular to do because so many comic series were failing. People just weren't as interested in superhero comics anymore as they'd been done to death. People figured out that very popular characters would never go away. Aside from that comic book superheroes just kept getting continually more powerful which led to the infinity gauntlet showing up. Which...well makes you God, basically. "I just felt like eliminating half of the life in the universe so I did. Lol gently caress you." Yes, and whoever having that gauntlet being God-like in power means that all that life is going to come back by the end of the series when somebody else gets their hand in it.

Iron Crowned's Razor states that it's a boomer thing.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

checks out: when i was a wee lad i traded some nhl cards for a damaged & creased copy of an LA kings wayne gretzky and the original owners' dad was the one to sit me down and tell me how badly i 'screwed his son' because wayne gretzky cards are all gonna be worth millions some day!!!

he tried to pressure my parents into making me renege on the deal

Gaunab posted:

Disney is going to add superman and metropolis to the marvel universe in 2033.

barring further legislative extension
is something of a big ask tho

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The copyright laws will always be - and have always been - extended because of Disney and their properties, so I doubt they'll acquire any DC characters that way.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

...then they weren't.

And history repeats itself with Funko Pops replacing Beanie Babies.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rirse posted:

And history repeats itself with Funko Pops replacing Beanie Babies.

Funny thing there is I have yet to meet somebody with 800 carefully sorted, stored, and preserved Funko Pops in the attic but I've met people that decorate their cubes with a dozen of them. I think in the case of Funko most people are buying them because they like the characters not because they'll be worth millions some day, totally.

The vast majority of people I met that had Beanie Babies were collecting them to resell them down the line for thoroughly absurd amounts of markup. I met multiple people who had an entire room dedicated just to storing Beanie Babies and carefully tracking which ones were expected to become rare.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Funny thing there is I have yet to meet somebody with 800 carefully sorted, stored, and preserved Funko Pops in the attic but I've met people that decorate their cubes with a dozen of them. I think in the case of Funko most people are buying them because they like the characters not because they'll be worth millions some day, totally.

The vast majority of people I met that had Beanie Babies were collecting them to resell them down the line for thoroughly absurd amounts of markup. I met multiple people who had an entire room dedicated just to storing Beanie Babies and carefully tracking which ones were expected to become rare.

For the most part that is true, then you get this.

Rhyno posted:

Remember how Pops are garbage? Local collector just got turned into CPS for neglecting his kids in favor of his Pop obsession. Turned in by his own kid no less. Waiting to hear specifics but this dude was notorious for his poor financial choices.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rirse posted:

That's not the fault of Funko Pops. I've met people multiple like that and they'd have found something else to obsess over.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rirse posted:

That thread is a giant glasshouse and every post in it is a stone thrown.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's not the fault of Funko Pops. I've met people multiple like that and they'd have found something else to obsess over.

See: the guy I dated during my college years. I humored his Star Wars obsession when they rereleased the original trilogy in the 90s, until we spent every night hitting up stores to find action figures. When my kitchen cabinets started getting clogged with SW themed cups from Taco Bell, it actually killed a six year relationship. I loved him dearly, but I just couldn't take fighting over that anymore, and he refused to stop.

(When we parted ways and I moved, I found a rare Boba Fett variant in one of my boxes, and did sell it for a tidy sum. It was a good consolation prize for putting up with that so long.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rirse posted:

Zaurg no!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Rirse posted:

And this.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The thing about the Beanie Baby craze was that even a young teenager like myself at the time could tell that it was a bubble fad, and that if you wanted to make money on your BBs, you'd sell them like, two months after you got them when they wouldn't be in stores anymore for like, 500% price increase to some other rabid collector, and just play the small game like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

wyoming posted:

And this.

This is really sad