Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Larrymer posted:

Harbor freight ones are decently calibrated and are dirt cheap. Always go there with a 20% off coupon or two, and torque wrenches go on sale a lot for :10bux:

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61277.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61276.html

Cool...I was thinking Harbor Freight probably had ok-ish ones, that second one looks like it's perfect for the range I need, and I found a 20% off coupon and also got a free LED light, can never have too many of those.

Sucks there's none close by to me and I have to wait for them to get shipped, but I'm waiting on some moped specific tools anyway (clutch puller, piston stop bolt, etc..) so hopefully they arrive around the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I need to sand my deck, and for that I need a decent belt sander since I don’t want to be out there all day. I am in the early stages of buying quality but not super expensive tools. What would y’all recommend?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I like my Ridgid belt sander. Not too expensive, iirc.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

crestfallen posted:

I need to sand my deck, and for that I need a decent belt sander since I don’t want to be out there all day. I am in the early stages of buying quality but not super expensive tools. What would y’all recommend?

Unless it's a teeny tiny deck rent a floor sander, that's what they're for.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Mr. Mambold posted:

Unless it's a teeny tiny deck rent a floor sander, that's what they're for.

Seconded.

Alternatively (and very much needed if the deck has cavities on the surface) you can use a power washer. Which you should rent as well. Be sure to read the instructions, so you don't remove the top 5mm of the deck with it...

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rnr posted:

Seconded.

Alternatively (and very much needed if the deck has cavities on the surface) you can use a power washer. Which you should rent as well. Be sure to read the instructions, so you don't remove the top 5mm of the deck with it...

Yeah that's probably the better route. Don't have to worry about nailheads or screws sticking up proud.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Thanks for the advice. While I may still end up getting a belt sander because tools are fun, we’re going to see about renting or borrowing a power washer. Looks like “dry enough” time is like 5 days depending on weather, yeah?

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Larrymer posted:

Harbor freight ones are decently calibrated and are dirt cheap. Always go there with a 20% off coupon or two, and torque wrenches go on sale a lot for :10bux:

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61277.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61276.html

I have the 3/8th's one. It's enormous and I've only used it on lugs and axle nuts. Works well enough if you can fit it into place, the 1/4th is much more useful for everything else.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Huh, I may have just irrevocably converted myself to the battery weed trimmer camp. Ain’t that a thing.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Bad Munki posted:

Huh, I may have just irrevocably converted myself to the battery weed trimmer camp. Ain’t that a thing.

Did that two years ago, and this year I went all in on the battery lawn mower. Do not regret the decision at all.

Somehow I doubt the battery snow blowers will cut it, though, so I'm still stuck with a gas can.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Did that two years ago, and this year I went all in on the battery lawn mower. Do not regret the decision at all.

Somehow I doubt the battery snow blowers will cut it, though, so I'm still stuck with a gas can.

At the girlfriend's request, I bought the ryobi 40v mower, and despite over a decade of avoiding ryobi tools, I have to say I'm impressed. Whisper quiet, mulches well, and it's so light that it's absolutely effortless to mow with. They have a self propelled version, and I can't figure out why you'd need it.

Only issue is battery life, at about half an hour. I only use it for my front yard, which is a pain to do with my riding mower. Anyone that's doing their front and back lawn would have to hussle or buy a spare 150 dollar battery.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I’m thinking about getting the Ego battery mower this year.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
I was debating between the Ryobi and the ego. Don't regret saving $100.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is there a battery powered brush/hedge trimmer that's good/best in the category?

I have probably 500ft of brush that could use trimming but that I don't want to really string tons of extension cords together to make happen.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is there a battery powered brush/hedge trimmer that's good/best in the category?

I have probably 500ft of brush that could use trimming but that I don't want to really string tons of extension cords together to make happen.

Ego makes one of those as well, if you want to get into their 56v ecosystem

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Until they come up with a battery powered 54" or bigger garden tractor that doesn't cost 5 digits, I'm sticking with gas. But I'm rather looking forward to my edging work now.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

crestfallen posted:

I’m thinking about getting the Ego battery mower this year.

That's the one I just got, newer version with the 7.5 amp hour battery. Have not had an issue with total run time yet - Takes me around 50 minutes to mow the lawn and the battery seems to have around 20% left by the time I finish. Even today - grass was actually wet and pretty thick, it cut just fine and still didn't run out of power. It did have to run up to high RPM no gently caress YOU mode a couple times. Worked well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

tangy yet delightful posted:

since i'm already knee deep in ryobi 18v territory i got one of their battery powered ones and it's been good for me so far

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I only have porter cable drill/impact so no battery commonality for me to adhere to in this arena it looks like. I might consider that EGO though, looking at some comprehensive reviews it seems to be well up there. Now to just decide if I want to spend the money or not. It would save me a lot of time and time is money so this will probably happen after a few weeks of sitting around on it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If you were to only use one type of drill bits forever and ever, would they be the titanium coated bitches, or Black oxide hoes?

This for general purpose poo poo, mostly metal (mild steel, sometimes al-you-min-ee-um) but also wood, and occasionally plastic.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

wesleywillis posted:

If you were to only use one type of drill bits forever and ever, would they be the titanium coated bitches, or Black oxide hoes?

This for general purpose poo poo, mostly metal (mild steel, sometimes al-you-min-ee-um) but also wood, and occasionally plastic.

Black oxide. Learn to sharpen them, use proper lubricants and they'll last a long, long time. The special coating is most irrelevant for home use.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Home Depot has a ryobi 2x 3ah battery with free tool promo going on at the moment for $99. I got the brushless impact, there is a pretty good selection available including a cool looking portable shop vac.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

wesleywillis posted:

Black oxide does nothing to enhance cutting or tool life. It is solely to slow corrosion down and its not great at it. Still my home tools are BO because its cheap and I chip the edges of my drill bits way before I get any abrasion protection from the TiN/TiX coatings. Also TiX coated bits generally aren't as sharp as uncoated bits, all else being equal.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 20, 2018

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
After 3 weeks of research and deliberation, I picked up one of those Kobalt 80v battery powered push mowers to replace my piece of poo poo gas mower. On sale, $150 off and no tax (big deal since that's 13% here). What a world of difference. Can do my whole lot twice on one of the two included 2Ah batteries. I have a Stihl FSA56 battery trimmer that I also like and was looking at the new Stihl mowers, but for the money and them being made by the same company, the Kobalt won out.

No more oil changes, air filters or spark plugs, no more storing gasoline, and the ability to hear myself think while I mow. gently caress gas mowers.

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 20, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

sanchez posted:

Home Depot has a ryobi 2x 3ah battery with free tool promo going on at the moment for $99. I got the brushless impact, there is a pretty good selection available including a cool looking portable shop vac.

I bought that shop vac a few weeks ago, it is indeed pretty great. Mostly it's just been used for my pockethole jig so I don't need to get out the full size shopvac, or getting stuff off my workbench. Not worth $90, but probably worth $free

I grabbed the Ryobi Pulse Driver as my free tool. It's pretty rad and quiet as gently caress. Must be some sort of wizard living in there.

Might do another set of batteries and grab a trim router. My current router is a massive Craftsman from the 60s that does a great job but is loud and scary and unweildy for tiny jobs

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd like the ryobi trim router but I can't justify the £100 when I can grab a decent generic 1/4" corded off eBay for £30

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
I just bought the trim router from one of their refurb retailers for $30. It was a local B&M, but it looks like they sell online.

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=router

Doesn't look like they have any in stock at the moment, but might be worth checking occasionally.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'd like the ryobi trim router but I can't justify the £100 when I can grab a decent generic 1/4" corded off eBay for £30

I can't visualize using a trim router with a bigass battery on it, but each to their own. I'm sorta drooling about that Pulse driver now though. All these years and I've never owned an impact style driver. That would be the tits for setting up or repairing a picket style fence.....

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mr. Mambold posted:

I can't visualize using a trim router with a bigass battery on it, but each to their own. I'm sorta drooling about that Pulse driver now though. All these years and I've never owned an impact style driver. That would be the tits for setting up or repairing a picket style fence.....

Its probably not the most ergonomic you're right.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bit of tool care advice needed. I found an old pair of garden shears which are covered in rust and a bit blunt. What is the best way to get rid of the rust and sharpen the blades?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

bessantj posted:

Bit of tool care advice needed. I found an old pair of garden shears which are covered in rust and a bit blunt. What is the best way to get rid of the rust and sharpen the blades?

Wire brush to remove old residue/rust, white vinegar soak, wire brush to clean them again. I've also had some luck with diet soda and scrubbing with steel wool. Oil the pivot, use some linseed oil or wax on the blades to keep rust from coming back. Reapply every so often.

For sharpening, any sharpening stone would work. I prefer a long dual sided rectangle stone with a rough and fine side. I already have one for my axe so its convenient. A few passes of each and mine are usually running smoothly again. If you really want to sharpen them or the cutting edge is in really rough shape, use a file to remove burrs/dents/nicks, and then resharpen it with a stone. You can use a dremel at low speeds without worrying about wrecking them. High speed grinding can ruin heat treating on metal, important for the strength of a cutting edge. Not as big of a deal on shears vs an axe.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Very helpful, thank you.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

sanchez posted:

I picked up this battery set and took the hammer drill. The brushless impact was tempting, but honestly as "joe homeowner" the drill will do everything I need it to do and then some. With those 2 batteries though I'm covered from a power perspective and can now wait for those crazy tool only deals to pop up and add additional pieces if needed. My next tool will probably be the high volume inflator, my kids love their pool toys and being able to take that to the pool area in the 'hood will come in real handy.

Why do I feel like this is the beginning of a slippery slope? I have corded electrical lawn care stuff, and I'm already eyeballing cordless solutions.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Should have got the impact over the hammer drill imo unless you have a use for the hammer drill already in mind

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Should have got the impact over the hammer drill imo unless you have a use for the hammer drill already in mind

^^^ Impact drivers are indispensable for driving fasteners.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

sanchez posted:

Is there a link for this special? I called the local HD and they said they only got 10 per store and they went out the door like a wildfire. Said they'd get some more in, but no rain checkery....those fuckres

edit- and Home Depot's search function is hot garbage

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

They're probably all gone, it hit the front page of slickdeals. I went Friday night as I knew there wouldn't be any left Saturday and there were 3 sets left. My local store got 24 sets I think. Some of those guys are doing returns though, so some might come back in stock.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

No plans for the hammer drill really. I have no plans on drilling concrete or masonry. My thinking was the drill would be more versatile due to the 1/2 inch chuck and the drill/drive/hammer modes being selectable. My usage is like in the realm of "not even that handy of a homeowner". When I move into the new house I'll be using it a fair bit to hang blinds and put up shelves and stuff, but other than that I think I used my corded drill 6 times in the last year, and 5 of those were fixing fence pickets. The brushless impact was really tempting, maybe I should return the drill and get the impact instead.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
After killing myself trying to pull start my husqvarna trimmer I bought a 60v Greenworks weed eater and it is fantastic. I plan on getting the matching chainsaw too. gently caress small engines forever.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

Is there a link for this special? I called the local HD and they said they only got 10 per store and they went out the door like a wildfire. Said they'd get some more in, but no rain checkery....those fuckres

edit- and Home Depot's search function is hot garbage

There is a banner for it online you've probably seen but I never did find the battery set on the website. The store had an island and endcap setup, quite a lot of work for something with so little stock. They had more than 10 sets on hand when I was there, probably 20-30 as there were some still in shipping boxes. Since the online banner is still up maybe they'll restock at some point? Fathers day is in a month as well.

I have subsequently purchased the pole saw , it really is a slippery slope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

They're probably all gone, it hit the front page of slickdeals. I went Friday night as I knew there wouldn't be any left Saturday and there were 3 sets left. My local store got 24 sets I think. Some of those guys are doing returns though, so some might come back in stock.

No plans for the hammer drill really. I have no plans on drilling concrete or masonry. My thinking was the drill would be more versatile due to the 1/2 inch chuck and the drill/drive/hammer modes being selectable. My usage is like in the realm of "not even that handy of a homeowner". When I move into the new house I'll be using it a fair bit to hang blinds and put up shelves and stuff, but other than that I think I used my corded drill 6 times in the last year, and 5 of those were fixing fence pickets. The brushless impact was really tempting, maybe I should return the drill and get the impact instead.

Impact drivers are game changers really. Definitely worth having. It's basically "oh I have this fastener I want in/out, let me grab the impact". Mine gets a ton of use, even for generic household tasks (like.. assembling Ikea crap)

It's memorial day soon, so it's tool sale time.. for $99 you can get both