Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's a weird feeling to enjoy watching a brewers pitcher work, but Josh Hader is a gem and it's nice to see Counsell using him (and the rest of the pen) effectively and intelligently.

I don't feel pessimistic about this team at all for once. All our best pitchers are on the dl right now and we're still doing great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hader is just insane, I remember thinking it was disappointing he wasn't going to get a chance at the rotation this year.

I'm definitely excited to see a pair of games at Miller over Memorial Day weekend.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

There's still talk of making Hader a starter long term but I just don't see how you could do that when he's basically Andrew Miller 2.0. That's a special type of player and you cannot move him from that spot.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Kirios posted:

There's still talk of making Hader a starter long term but I just don't see how you could do that when he's basically Andrew Miller 2.0. That's a special type of player and you cannot move him from that spot.

Yeah, I think he's going to be in the pen until his fastball loses enough that he has to pick up a 3rd and 4th pitch. And that's not a bad thing. Being able to pull a starter as soon as he starts to struggle and being confident your bullpen will cover you is a good thing.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
https://twitter.com/masnKerr/status/998041847305039872

So I guess this is the Nats solution to having every outfielder get hurt. Crazy to see him coming up already, but I saw him at the Potomac Nationals earlier this year and the ball was just flying off his bat. Might take him a bit to adjust to MLB pitching but the kid can hit.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

JoeCL posted:

https://twitter.com/masnKerr/status/998041847305039872

So I guess this is the Nats solution to having every outfielder get hurt. Crazy to see him coming up already, but I saw him at the Potomac Nationals earlier this year and the ball was just flying off his bat. Might take him a bit to adjust to MLB pitching but the kid can hit.

Holy poo poo. I was about to make a mostly-ironic “call up Soto” post. I can’t believe they’re actually doing it. He was in A ball less than two weeks ago.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

How is that guy dealing with blisters for years on end

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Kendrick is 34 now, is it possible a ruptured Achilles is a career-ender?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The Dodgers bullpen got 27 outs in the second game today, people

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

ego symphonic posted:

Holy poo poo. I was about to make a mostly-ironic “call up Soto” post. I can’t believe they’re actually doing it. He was in A ball less than two weeks ago.

Yeah its pretty nuts. I'm excited though.

MrMojok posted:

I think that's a tough injury to come back in the best of circumstances, I wouldn't be surprised if this is it for him. I'm sure he will at least try to come back though, he was playing great this year.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

N: Sergio Romo started today and threw a 1-2-3 inning. Yarbrough, the actual SP, went 6.1 innings with 4 hits and 1 ER.

N: The Rays have announced that tomorrow's starter will be Sergio Romo.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The tampa bay rays are cool and good and the

*checks notes*

Los Angeles Angles of Aneheim suck rear end.

Source: the last 3 games.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

N: Sergio Romo started today and threw a 1-2-3 inning. Yarbrough, the actual SP, went 6.1 innings with 4 hits and 1 ER.

N: The Rays have announced that tomorrow's starter will be Sergio Romo.

So the idea is that the starter sees the top of the order one last time? Thats kinda genius if you ask me.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

MrMojok posted:

A ruptured achilles is a potential career ender regardless of age but being 34 makes it more likely to be sure.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

algebra testes posted:

So the idea is that the starter sees the top of the order one last time? Thats kinda genius if you ask me.

It’s been a theory for a while but nobody’s put it into use until now since, uh, teams generally have enough starters for a rotation.

If a starter loses effectiveness due to fatigue during a game and due to opposing hitters getting multiple PAs against him, why not start the game off with a proven reliever (insert 2018 Romo joke here) and then put the starter in? Assuming the reliever is effective, the top of the order (who get the most PAs) will see the starter one fewer time and the starter will be more effective in the late innings. I mean, the team was expected to be a disaster so why not try some unconventional strats.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Luigi Thirty posted:

If a starter loses effectiveness due to fatigue during a game and due to opposing hitters getting multiple PAs against him, why not start the game off with a proven reliever (insert 2018 Romo joke here) and then put the starter in? Assuming the reliever is effective, the top of the order (who get the most PAs) will see the starter one fewer time and the starter will be more effective in the late innings. I mean, the team was expected to be a disaster so why not try some unconventional strats.

This sort of tactic wouldn't be a sure thing with a better opposing lineup, since the bottom six hitters still see the pitcher a third time. The Angels are extremely top-heavy, with that Ohtani-less lineup only having one regular in the bottom six with an OPS+ over league average (Andrelton Simmons). No guarantee normally the pitcher would fair better the third time through the lineup than if he started the game.

Also looking it up, Kole Calhoun has an OPS+ of 12.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I think it's more about aligning your best pitchers against their best hitters than letting your crappy starter go deeper in games. If your starter is going 4 or 5 innings anyway, let them cover innings with a worse lineup to make those innings more effective.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
That has to be it for Bautista.

Is there a way to preserve athletes from getting old?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Cory Lidle had some ideas on how to.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

juice to the gills I guess

I dunno I thought it was good that he was given a shot but he's clearly not got it anymore, and we REALLY need to give the younguns some shots at 3B so we can figure out who the future is

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Twin Cinema posted:

He was just officially released. Thankfully they didn't have any risk with him, but it was an odd decision

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

He was just officially released. Thankfully they didn't have any risk with him, but it was an odd decision

I've heard that it was AA in the front office giving him a chance, probably as a favor. Didn't work out for him, but it's more than a lot of older players get and we had the spot open to test him out at the time so :shrug:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah they gave him a shot, it didn't work but they didn't drag it out too far and no real harm done

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Meanwhile Greg Holland has yet to be DFA'd

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

Meanwhile Greg Holland has yet to be DFA'd

I've been refreshing Google News every couple of hours just hoping. :sigh:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

:drat:

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Epic High Five posted:

juice to the gills I guess

I dunno I thought it was good that he was given a shot but he's clearly not got it anymore, and we REALLY need to give the younguns some shots at 3B so we can figure out who the future is

It's probably going to be Austin Riley. Camargo is the perfect guy to have on the bench: switch hitter that can play all infield positions.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Holy poo poo

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Godspeed Joey Bats, thanks for the two dongs, pity about everything else.

Camargo will play most of this year. Austin Riley is probably the future but it wouldn't completely surprise me if the Braves made a big run at Machado for 2019 with all the money coming off the books.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'd be interested to see an NL team gently caress around when rosters expand. If you're the home team, start a reliever and bat him 3rd. Pinch hit in the 1st.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Belt might be having the season that Giants fans have been daydreaming about since he came up. Don't get me wrong he's always been a good hitter, and he'd hit 30 HR every year in any other park, but if he's finally fully tapped into his power then watch out.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I could be wrong but didn't TLR try out some similar crazy poo poo? TLR's pitching moves were fun to mock but I miss him.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Jordy Mercer's homer hit a kid right in the balls.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The Jays have been loving painful to watch this series with the As. I think it's time to admit that between the lack of production and the very problematic starting pitching, the Jays might as well lean into the slide and do a full on fire sale. I'd rather we get something for Donaldson (who btw looked like a moron today) than just having him walk at the end of a season where we're not going to do jack poo poo anyway.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Punching their fans in the nuts seems to be the pirates strategy today

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/BigRedTweeter/status/997933002306019328?s=19

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

They should try filling their own stadium with Reds fans too

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

we would love that, it's hard to get people to walk up for Reds games

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/998304453190012929?s=21