Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FunkMonkey posted:

I've long known that my next character is going to be a Shifter/Shattered Pillar and going Bloody Roar on some chumps.

Shattered Pillar is mostly wasted on Shifter tbh. As a multiclass, you aren’t using many wound spenders anyway. The rapid wound generation of Shattered Pillar is soing basically nothing for you, and the lower wound cap will even prevent you from stacking Maximum Lash with Turning Wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

So how about that Rekke fellow :stare:

Once he learns Aedyran he has some uh, INTERESTING stuff to say. For one, he's a missionary of a monotheist religion come to bring the word of capital g God to the mythical western lands beyond the storms. He also has no concept of the Engwithan pantheon whatsoever, which begs a lot of questions.

He can translate the Strange Tablet.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Shattered Pillar is mostly wasted on Shifter tbh. As a multiclass, you aren’t using many wound spenders anyway. The rapid wound generation of Shattered Pillar is soing basically nothing for you, and the lower wound cap will even prevent you from stacking Maximum Lash with Turning Wheel.

Good. To. Know. I will consider a different subclass or none at all when I get to that point.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's a quarterstaff that increases dmg and attack speed based off metaphysics skill and you can enchant it with 5% dmg for all the dmg types at the same time. 2 handers seem really strong in this game, so strong you can just have your front line running around with them no problem.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Does Carnage apply weapon effects/modal abilities etc to those hit in the AoE?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Lima posted:

Nope

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Kith posted:

Generic Legendary items are not supposed to be dropping. If you have any, report it as a bug.
Really? I have a ton of generic legendaries.

Tenzarin posted:

There's a quarterstaff that increases dmg and attack speed based off metaphysics skill and you can enchant it with 5% dmg for all the dmg types at the same time. 2 handers seem really strong in this game, so strong you can just have your front line running around with them no problem.
This staff is great. You can get down to like 1.8s - 2.0s recovery time.

Also for those of you that can't figure out how Maia does damage...just spam this

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

So how about that Rekke fellow :stare:

Once he learns Aedyran he has some uh, INTERESTING stuff to say. For one, he's a missionary of a monotheist religion come to bring the word of capital g God to the mythical western lands beyond the storms. He also has no concept of the Engwithan pantheon whatsoever, which begs a lot of questions.

The Engwithans sucking rear end at everything but soul-tech is a bit of a plot point in POE1, so uh maybe they missed a spot.

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 20, 2018

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Do you succeed in textual stat-based actions by having higher athleticism or whatever than a set number, or does having high athleticism just increase probability?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I beat Nemnok at lvl 16, i hope there's some more powerful monsters to beat up.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

snoremac posted:

Do you succeed in textual stat-based actions by having higher athleticism or whatever than a set number, or does having high athleticism just increase probability?

Checks are mostly binary. If you are above the threshold you always succeed, if you are below you always fail. I came across a couple of events where I could get partial success/failure but the outcome for a given skill score was still fixed

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

To whomever said their Dell laptop couldn't play Pillars 2: try undervolting it and make sure to turn off the auto cpu overclock feature in windows. You can play around with how much undervolt you can do but a -0.1V has never affected stability and has helped temperature. Its really easy with the Intel tuning application. The auto overclock CPU feature doesn't help games any but does add to the heat which can make the GPU overheat and start downclocking. I used to play FFXIV on my laptop all the time and I'd start having performance problems after a while but all that solved it. I play Pillars 2 all details high with no problems.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's...functional. There's honestly almost no actual synergy between them, you're mostly just mashing the strongest class in the game (monk) with a near empty class that has like three good tricks (cipher). I mean, you'll do fine - the game doesn't really have a difficulty - but fighter's a better multiclass for cipher, and either no multiclass at all or fighter/barbarian/paladin is better for monk.

In most circumstances soul blade strictly increases melee dps by more than 50% and it works from level 1, though doesn’t really come into its own until you get draining whip. A nature godlike transcendent with maxed out might can be punching for over 100 damage by level 4. You rip through fights on PotD before your companions really get to do anything. It synergizes well with lightning strikes and turning wheel since soul annihilation is multiplicative with those, which are in turn multiplicative with the additive bonuses from soul whip and might. Transcendent may not have game breaking skills like charge and cleaving stance that are certain to be nerfed, but it’s a really straightforward melee powerhouse that’s strong out the gate and can cherry pick the few good cipher powers for some versatility later on.

For the guy thinking about this combo, don’t listen to ProfessorCirno’s advice, soulblade is one-dimensional, but it synergizes perfectly well with monk.

Just make sure you take the increased focus gain passive, not the one that increases soul whip to 30%. Soul annihilation deals damage based on your focus pool when you use it plus the focus generated on the attack that procs it. If you take draining whip, you double soul annihilation’s damage. Biting whip will only add 1-2 points of damage per attack. Draining whip is probably at least a 25% increase to your total DPS. Also, shattered pillar isn’t the clear best choice. If you don’t mind dealing with drugs, nalpazca will probably be better.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Do my non-active party members get any experience? Or will they always lag behind the main party?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Are all the import/history bugs fixed in a new game on the beta patch or are we still waiting on those?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Azran posted:

Do my non-active party members get any experience? Or will they always lag behind the main party?

They might be a tiny bit behind, but only a level or two at once.

I did ShatteredPillar/Soulblade and have currently done everything there is to do in the game before Ashen Maw on Veteran (other than killing important people for shits and giggles) and basically - ShatteredPillars is amazingly the best monk class, it's great.
The Soulblade half is only there because of Whisper of Treason, Dominate, and Soul Annihilation. Soul Annihilation is really good for big raw damage, especially against armored foes, but otherwise that's it besides the damage boost. If I could do it over, I would've gone pure monk.

As is it's basically a 'win harder' button when I use Whisper of Treason in a tough fight and I don't need to bring Serafen or a Chanter that learned the charm invocation.

--

I was expecting every faction quest leading to Crookspur Island to give me some kind of moral quandary but it's honestly a wet fart.

Huana want you to kill the head slaver.
Rauatai want you to kill the head slaver.
One half of the Principi want you to kill the head slaver and the other doesn't, so it doesn't matter either way so you might as well kill the head slaver.
VTC wants you to work with him, but the VTC head is a giant baby who backs down when you do it.

So it's not even really a choice, ending slavery is unambiguously good. Which is good, I guess! But they didn't even keep up the fiction of "oh, but we adhere to the local slavery laws", they're breaking them and enslaving natives, so there's no reason to help out.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
How would you write an ending in which maintaining the institution of slavery was positive?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Do the huana leaders want you to end slavery, or is it just the Wahiki who ask you to do that? I kinda of checked them off after they got real shirty about me calling their caste system bullshit and taking the non-evil path on Shadows Under Neketaka.

E: Also the factions are generally ok with you doing the opposite of what you’re asking, at least in the cases I did it. I bet you can at least kill the Wahiki leader and go home to the queen and say “welp, I failed to strike an alliance, what’s next?”

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 20, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Heithinn Grasida posted:

In most circumstances soul blade strictly increases melee dps by more than 50% and it works from level 1, though doesn’t really come into its own until you get draining whip. A nature godlike transcendent with maxed out might can be punching for over 100 damage by level 4. You rip through fights on PotD before your companions really get to do anything. It synergizes well with lightning strikes and turning wheel since soul annihilation is multiplicative with those, which are in turn multiplicative with the additive bonuses from soul whip and might. Transcendent may not have game breaking skills like charge and cleaving stance that are certain to be nerfed, but it’s a really straightforward melee powerhouse that’s strong out the gate and can cherry pick the few good cipher powers for some versatility later on.

For the guy thinking about this combo, don’t listen to ProfessorCirno’s advice, soulblade is one-dimensional, but it synergizes perfectly well with monk.

Nothing here contradicts what I said in the slightest :confused:

It's entirely functional. Soul Blade does it's thing, monk does it's thing, but neither really interacts with each other on a great degree. Soul Annihilation works well with Fighter because Cleaving Stance activates when you kill, meaning Soul Annihilation is more or less guaranteed to activate it; monks don't have anything that specifically fires when you kill a dude, and while I'm certainly not going to look down on their buffs because they, like everything else monks have, are extremely good, they don't work as well with Soul Annihilation as the fighter buffs do; Lightning Strikes is insane, yes, but Soul Annihilation already does hilarious damage, and appreciates Tactical Barrage way more. Transcendent, in other words is losing probably the best high level powers in the game for a really good single target nuke with a required build up and cipher dialogue options. And hey, I'm playing one, so obviously that's a fair trade to plenty of people.

I'm obviously discounting the idea of playing a Transcendent that focuses on the cipher spellcasting side, because cipher powers are largely mediocre. That said, you can still do it - Helwalker/Ascendant with ranged weapons (probably scepters, just try not to kill yourself). This uses swift strikes to spin up your focus extra fast, and then once it's go time, you've got the Helwalker Might bonuses kicking in.

Another good combo for Cipher as a caster - especially if you want to use guns - is paladin. To be...well, Paladin. Have gun will sail, and all that. Flames of Devotion is a full attack, meaning you fire with both offhand and mainhand, and they're counted as having been loaded even if they, well, weren't. Better yet, it can be refunded, meaning you can do it in fact forever. This is a great way to alpha spike your Focus (so hello again Ascendant); gunkata once, twice, maybe even three times I guess (I haven't tried this out myself yet) to launch your Focus to max right at the start of the round, and probably also ice some fools at the same time. Cipher squishiness is offset by paladin conviction defense bonuses and high HP benefits, and also paladins are drat near unkillable period anyways. Probably more of a support cipher build.

Anyways, you aren't disagreeing with me, you just think what I'm saying sounds overly harsh. :colbert:

Lima posted:

For what it's worth, Carnage would play second fiddle to Berserker's Frenzy and Barbaric Blow anyways, because both those powers are pretty slick. Also, if you use the Mega Blade of However Many Paths (you know the one) you get kind of the Carnage effect in reverse, because whatever weapon-based powers you use through that zweihander are "cast" through it's cone. Pair it up with a Kind Wayfarer traveler and heal the entire party of any damage possible with a single FoD!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

For a single class shattered pillar monk what do people like more, lightning strikes or swift flurry?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Nothing here contradicts what I said in the slightest :confused:

It's entirely functional. Soul Blade does it's thing, monk does it's thing, but neither really interacts with each other on a great degree. Soul Annihilation works well with Fighter because Cleaving Stance activates when you kill, meaning Soul Annihilation is more or less guaranteed to activate it; monks don't have anything that specifically fires when you kill a dude, and while I'm certainly not going to look down on their buffs because they, like everything else monks have, are extremely good, they don't work as well with Soul Annihilation as the fighter buffs do; Lightning Strikes is insane, yes, but Soul Annihilation already does hilarious damage, and appreciates Tactical Barrage way more. Transcendent, in other words is losing probably the best high level powers in the game for a really good single target nuke with a required build up and cipher dialogue options. And hey, I'm playing one, so obviously that's a fair trade to plenty of people.

I'm obviously discounting the idea of playing a Transcendent that focuses on the cipher spellcasting side, because cipher powers are largely mediocre. That said, you can still do it - Helwalker/Ascendant with ranged weapons (probably scepters, just try not to kill yourself). This uses swift strikes to spin up your focus extra fast, and then once it's go time, you've got the Helwalker Might bonuses kicking in.

Another good combo for Cipher as a caster - especially if you want to use guns - is paladin. To be...well, Paladin. Have gun will sail, and all that. Flames of Devotion is a full attack, meaning you fire with both offhand and mainhand, and they're counted as having been loaded even if they, well, weren't. Better yet, it can be refunded, meaning you can do it in fact forever. This is a great way to alpha spike your Focus (so hello again Ascendant); gunkata once, twice, maybe even three times I guess (I haven't tried this out myself yet) to launch your Focus to max right at the start of the round, and probably also ice some fools at the same time. Cipher squishiness is offset by paladin conviction defense bonuses and high HP benefits, and also paladins are drat near unkillable period anyways. Probably more of a support cipher build.

Anyways, you aren't disagreeing with me, you just think what I'm saying sounds overly harsh. :colbert:

For what it's worth, Carnage would play second fiddle to Berserker's Frenzy and Barbaric Blow anyways, because both those powers are pretty slick. Also, if you use the Mega Blade of However Many Paths (you know the one) you get kind of the Carnage effect in reverse, because whatever weapon-based powers you use through that zweihander are "cast" through it's cone. Pair it up with a Kind Wayfarer traveler and heal the entire party of any damage possible with a single FoD!

Carnage doesn't take resources though...

And I'm still leveling, but I'm hopeful that Heart of Fury will. Maybe I was wrong - low level Barbs in Deadfire aren't as exciting, but Brilliant + HoF...

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So the only companion I'm still not sure how to build atm is Serafin. Barb/Cipher doesn't seem to go too well together. I'm guessing you either shoot your guns, use your focus and then wade into melee or just stick to melee from the start. Neither of which seems like a good use of the multiclass.

Is pure Cipher or Barb just better?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I basically went into this game determined to dislike it and find it wanting compared to the first one, but it's so fun and good, I honestly can't remember when I last felt this level of sustained enjoyment. I'm excited to come home from work and play it. I thank rope kid for working his fingers to the bone to give me this glee

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Nephthys posted:

So the only companion I'm still not sure how to build atm is Serafin. Barb/Cipher doesn't seem to go too well together. I'm guessing you either shoot your guns, use your focus and then wade into melee or just stick to melee from the start. Neither of which seems like a good use of the multiclass.

Is pure Cipher or Barb just better?

His cipher powers will randomly wipe your own party due to his "kit", so just make him a pure barb.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Pro-tip:

[...]

Results are not perfect but if your character is something that's hard to find on the internet in pre-existing art (i.e., not an elf with huge knockers ) it can be a decent substitute.
This is great but you lost me there.

Saving this for later for when I inevitably restart (again)

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"Brilliant" inspiration, currently only from Chanters at high level. Also a specific spellbook in the Dark Cauldron gives wizards extra spell casts but makes you get interrupted more easily.

Thanks. Looks like the baths also give you first level casts as well, which is good for Xoti and her first level 'delete enemy' spell.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Does anyone else find it kind of weird that the only inn in Neketaka is the Gullet one? I mean, you can rest in both the brothel and the bathhouse, but you'd think there'd be an actual inn that isn't a semi-cave in the slums.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

turboraton posted:

He can translate the Strange Tablet.

I never found him. What's the tablet say?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

oxford_town posted:

How would you write an ending in which maintaining the institution of slavery was positive?

Well, you see, something, something, White Man's Burden, something, Might Makes Right, etc.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Blue Aumaua's Burden.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

evilmiera posted:

I never found him. What's the tablet say?

It's about the sale of a horse and how to care for it. His people seem to worship them.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

This tbh.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
the most valid negative review

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

divx posted:

It's about the sale of a horse and how to care for it. His people seem to worship them.

What? No.

They don’t worship them, it’s just a dumb bill of sale of some rich idiot describing how his precious stud stallion is to be taken care of. Horse ownership is unironically very serious business. Rekke’s people worship a monotheist God.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The avatar, the name, the text formatting... literally everything is perfect about this picture.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
waifu is sidekicker

alas

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Does anyone else find it kind of weird that the only inn in Neketaka is the Gullet one? I mean, you can rest in both the brothel and the bathhouse, but you'd think there'd be an actual inn that isn't a semi-cave in the slums.

Wild Mare doesn’t count?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Wild Mare is mechanically an inn, but it's not an actual inn. The rooms you can rent are the floor of a storage room or an eight hour private dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

theres a lot of Neketaka that isn't part of an accessible zone, thats probably where the other inns are