Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I still repeat that I wish they would just let you freely swap your party outside of dungeon areas. I don't want to go to another zone's inn so that Pallegina doesn't interact with a bunch of religious types or to make sure Maia isn't involved in talking with a bunch of Huana. Just let me swap so that I can be the best puppet master I can be to my own party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I would also like to be able to change my crew at any port instead of having to specifically go back to neketaka every time.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

GrandpaPants posted:

I still repeat that I wish they would just let you freely swap your party outside of dungeon areas. I don't want to go to another zone's inn so that Pallegina doesn't interact with a bunch of religious types or to make sure Maia isn't involved in talking with a bunch of Huana. Just let me swap so that I can be the best puppet master I can be to my own party.
This but to maximise hatreds.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Your Parents posted:

I would also like to be able to change my crew at any port instead of having to specifically go back to neketaka every time.

yeah that was kind of surprising at first, but it makes sense. if they don't get on the boat with you, then they're not traveling to the next port, so you have to go back for them.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I have a ship that could hold dozens and dozens of people.

Hug a wall you lazy shits, we are sailing.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there a comprehensive list of timed quests somewhere? Quests where, if you go do something else for too long instead of executing the quest, there will be consequences.

The only discussion I've seen of this is at this link: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98638-timed-quests-list/

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

pmchem posted:

yeah that was kind of surprising at first, but it makes sense. if they don't get on the boat with you, then they're not traveling to the next port, so you have to go back for them.

I hired a sailor in Dunnage and couldn't use them until I sailed back to Neketaka.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm trying to sorta plan out my second playthrough and I have a couple questions: What kind of armor do you want for a Monk/Cipher? Does heavier armor interfere with generating wounds?

And for companions, is there anyone in particular who will bail if I side with the Huana? Maia and Pellegina seem like the two risk factors.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Crowetron posted:

I'm trying to sorta plan out my second playthrough and I have a couple questions: What kind of armor do you want for a Monk/Cipher? Does heavier armor interfere with generating wounds?

And for companions, is there anyone in particular who will bail if I side with the Huana? Maia and Pellegina seem like the two risk factors.

Maia probably will ditch you but I'm not sure. Pallegina will ditch you if you side with anyone but the VTC if in Pillars 1 you told her to ignore her orders, and will be lenient with everyone but the RDC if you told her to follow her orders (although I don't know if she would have leniency if you had her alter the deal and did the Galawain ending, thus proving her correct)

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

What class should I play given that:
1. I haven't played the original
2. I'll only play the game once
3. I'd like something that's fun to play instead of something that's a micromanagy hassle

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

pmchem posted:

How do they get to Neketaka in the first place when I'm picking up half of them on islands across the world?

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

Re Mechanics skill, it seems like the only thing NPCs react to is actually taking things out of containers, just unlocking or disarming doesn't matter. So someone else can unlock red containers in plain sight and then I can swoop in stealthily to get the loot. Teamwork makes the dream work

It works quite well for the merchant containers, for example you can steal 50k worth of stuff from those idiot slavers on Crookspur, including the Patinated plate.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Dante posted:

3. I'd like something that's fun to play instead of something that's a micromanagy hassle

1. Cipher
2. Cipher
3. Cipher

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ProfessorCirno posted:

Nothing here contradicts what I said in the slightest :confused:

It's entirely functional. Soul Blade does it's thing, monk does it's thing, but neither really interacts with each other on a great degree. Soul Annihilation works well with Fighter because Cleaving Stance activates when you kill, meaning Soul Annihilation is more or less guaranteed to activate it; monks don't have anything that specifically fires when you kill a dude, and while I'm certainly not going to look down on their buffs because they, like everything else monks have, are extremely good, they don't work as well with Soul Annihilation as the fighter buffs do; Lightning Strikes is insane, yes, but Soul Annihilation already does hilarious damage, and appreciates Tactical Barrage way more. Transcendent, in other words is losing probably the best high level powers in the game for a really good single target nuke with a required build up and cipher dialogue options. And hey, I'm playing one, so obviously that's a fair trade to plenty of people.

Anyways, you aren't disagreeing with me, you just think what I'm saying sounds overly harsh. :colbert:

To be fair, your last sentence is true. We’re basically saying the same things and I’m disagreeing with the way you’re saying it. And also to be fair, soul blade mostly brings single target damage and some utility, and single target damage wasn’t a priority in PoE and still isn’t a priority in Deadfire, to the extent that anything is a priority when there are not a few builds that can instantly kill whole groups of enemies at a time from quite early on.

But to be fair to my point, in terms of single target damage, monk synergizes with soul blade much better. Tactical barrage doesn’t offer nearly as much damage as lightning strikes and turning wheel, both of which multiply the damage you gain from might, which is then multiplied again by soul annihilation, which is multiplied by might and power level separately again all by itself. Yes, monk would probably benefit more from fighter with cleaving, but cleaving is obviously completely broken, giving the equivalent of heart of fury from PoE every time you kill an enemy. Personally, I’m trying to avoid abilities or combinations that are clearly unbalanced and break the game.

Speaking of which, the real strength of single class monk isn’t the high level abilities, by which point every fight is almost certainly a stomp anyway, but faster access to raised torment. But a spammable attack that stuns enemies in a cone and also does good damage seems like another thing that just didn’t get time for a balance pass and is clearly going to break the game in half. If it weren’t for that, a massive single target dps boost right from the start of the game and access to some good utility might seem like a decent trade for super strong skills you can only use once every fight is trivially easy anyway.

To compare, cipher’s time parasite is apparently hilariously broken, since it stacks with itself to give you 250% action speed, but no one cares because you have to deal with a mediocre skill set until you finally get it, then once you do, only a tiny, very easy fraction of the game is left anyway.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I went looking through the steam achievements, and

This is extremely funny to me.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Axetrain posted:

For a single class shattered pillar monk what do people like more, lightning strikes or swift flurry?

The math suggests lightning strikes is better in the vast majority of situations. Swift flurry is involved in a lot of cheese, though, at the moment, since there are weapons that hit multiple enemies at once or hit multiple times, meaning you crit a lot, which procs more hits, which procs more crits and so on until everything is dead. It’s not the only problematic ability with those weapons, but it might be one of the worst. Really, they should all work like carnage does now and not proc weapon abilities.

For a normal build, by the time you get heartbeat drumming (power level 7 skill) swift strikes might be roughly comparable with lightning strikes if you have a whole lot of accuracy, and it will be better if you are using a weapon that has a powerful on crit effect. But it will be much weaker at the point you first get to choose it and respecs are broken, so unless you’re out to break the game, lightning strikes is almost certainly better.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

frajaq posted:

1. Cipher
2. Cipher
3. Cipher

Cipher always struck me as the most appropriate class for the Watcher based on what they do. Watchers have a bunch of soul powers, so do ciphers.

I kinda wish the Watcher character had a unique class though, with all their powers based around that central theme of soul-seeing, would make the main character seem a bit more mechanically special.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Did people actually use the watcher spells in poe1?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Really not sure what the point of short range cannons are, bc whenever you sail below the range floor of an enemy’s cannons they always just make straight for you for a boarding party. And they always seem to have at least twice the number of crew the ship interface says they should have

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Also holy poo poo Eder charging w/ mob stance. He gibbed 4 guys in a line like a fuckin freight train.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

Really not sure what the point of short range cannons are, bc whenever you sail below the range floor of an enemy’s cannons they always just make straight for you for a boarding party. And they always seem to have at least twice the number of crew the ship interface says they should have

Sometimes they're using cannons that don't really have a minimum range, so they won't close to board. Also, sometimes you can time it right so that you get raking fire on their boarding attempt. Five raking fire double-bronzers just obliterate enemy ships. I have one side of double-bronzers and the other side is longer ranged, so depending on what they're carrying I can pick a specific side and just use that. Also, if you're really feeling like engaging with it, use the long-range side and chainshot to shred their sails then close to close range with the doubles and end it.

e: The lightning pistol's upgraded Storm Rune shot or whatever gives absurd Focus if you can avoid gibbing your team with it. One shot maxed me out.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tenzarin posted:

Did people actually use the watcher spells in poe1?

I did, sometimes. If I was at a loss at what to cast I’d cast them because of the small area of effect and no effect on allies/friendly fire.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Mymla posted:

I went looking through the steam achievements, and

This is extremely funny to me.

They really screwed up on Aloth's dispositions. Frankly the only one you can effect is "dutiful" - none of the rest ever come up in conversation with the PC. Couple that with the weird labelling of "pride" that gets used and well...

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I'm pretty early in the game (been rerolling like 50 times) and just discovered that Xoti's subclasses are all unique. Eder and Aloth don't have anything like that as far as I can tell. It seems kind of annoying to have to choose a class for a companion right when you get them, you can't see any class information or whatever unless you look it up, and the choice is permanent. Do I just have to look up every companion's possible special subclass whenever I get a new one?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Do we have a time frame yet for the next patch?

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Do we have a time frame yet for the next patch?

Early June.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'm at the point in the game where I have to choose a faction, and I'm really torn between the Huana and the Pirates.

I am sympathetic to the Huana's struggle against imperialism and really, Ukaizo is their culture and belongs to them. But they also have that really hosed up caste system, and as far as the Roparu are concerned, finding fantasy Atlantis won't make one lick of difference and they'll still be starving in the streets.

The pirates, specifically Aeldys's faction, seem pretty cool. Lots of personal freedom, firm anti-slavery policy, and they know how to party. But they are still pirates. Also, I'm not entirely convinced leading them to Ukaizo will make much of a difference in the long run. If the Ruatai or the VTC want the city badly enough, they can probably gently caress up a divided fleet of drunken buccaneers.

To make things worse, my party members all seem pretty chill with either action, so no help there.

This is in no way a complaint. I actually really like that I'm stopping in the middle of dialogue trees to think about stuff. It's what I liked about PoE1 and New Vegas, too. But if anyone has an compelling non-spoiler arguements for either side, that would really help me out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

whalestory posted:

I'm pretty early in the game (been rerolling like 50 times) and just discovered that Xoti's subclasses are all unique. Eder and Aloth don't have anything like that as far as I can tell. It seems kind of annoying to have to choose a class for a companion right when you get them, you can't see any class information or whatever unless you look it up, and the choice is permanent. Do I just have to look up every companion's possible special subclass whenever I get a new one?
I feel like this should be in the OP, and this is from memory, but:

Xoti - both
Tekehu - both
Maia - Ranger
Pallegina - Paladin
Seraphen - Cipher

Konstanten - Chanter (Skald)

Everyone else is, I think, baseline classes. And yeah, its weird that the interface is done the way it is instead of just, like, leveling them up or seeing their abilities and powers as if they were newly created.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

It's a valid complaint

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Crowetron posted:

I'm at the point in the game where I have to choose a faction, and I'm really torn between the Huana and the Pirates.

I am sympathetic to the Huana's struggle against imperialism and really, Ukaizo is their culture and belongs to them. But they also have that really hosed up caste system, and as far as the Roparu are concerned, finding fantasy Atlantis won't make one lick of difference and they'll still be starving in the streets.

The pirates, specifically Aeldys's faction, seem pretty cool. Lots of personal freedom, firm anti-slavery policy, and they know how to party. But they are still pirates. Also, I'm not entirely convinced leading them to Ukaizo will make much of a difference in the long run. If the Ruatai or the VTC want the city badly enough, they can probably gently caress up a divided fleet of drunken buccaneers.

To make things worse, my party members all seem pretty chill with either action, so no help there.

This is in no way a complaint. I actually really like that I'm stopping in the middle of dialogue trees to think about stuff. It's what I liked about PoE1 and New Vegas, too. But if anyone has an compelling non-spoiler arguements for either side, that would really help me out.

Remember that

The primary reason the Roparu are starving is because the Huana are in a position of weakness having to parcel out the city to foreigners in order to play them off of each other. The caste system sucks, but they aren't starving the Roparu for funsies. They're doing it because they're resource starved and bargaining with imperialists from a position of weakness. Ukaizo could change that.

Also you can browbeat the Prince into sending more food to the Roparu.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Remember that

The primary reason the Roparu are starving is because the Huana are in a position of weakness having to parcel out the city to foreigners in order to play them off of each other. The caste system sucks, but they aren't starving the Roparu for funsies. They're doing it because they're resource starved and bargaining with imperialists from a position of weakness. Ukaizo could change that.

Also you can browbeat the Prince into sending more food to the Roparu.

Interesting way to frame "We have more important things to worry about than a bunch of poors."

derra
Dec 29, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I did, sometimes. If I was at a loss at what to cast I’d cast them because of the small area of effect and no effect on allies/friendly fire.

The one they added in WM2 was good. Full attack against reduced / no DR?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Coldforge posted:

Interesting way to frame "We have more important things to worry about than a bunch of poors."

Strictly true though.

Would you prefer “gosh darn it slavery sucks but it’s just so profitable”? Or “we just love violent subjugation of perceived racial inferiors in general”?

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 20, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Strictly true though.

Would you prefer “gosh darn it slavery sucks but it’s just so profitable”? Or “we just love violent subjugation of perceived racial inferiors in general”?

I'm only sad that I can't choose all three, tbh. Being a super powerful team of violent magical warriors has it's perks!

*sails off to pillage more shipping lanes to the blissful sounds of sea shanties*

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

FuzzySlippers posted:

To whomever said their Dell laptop couldn't play Pillars 2: try undervolting it and make sure to turn off the auto cpu overclock feature in windows. You can play around with how much undervolt you can do but a -0.1V has never affected stability and has helped temperature. Its really easy with the Intel tuning application. The auto overclock CPU feature doesn't help games any but does add to the heat which can make the GPU overheat and start downclocking. I used to play FFXIV on my laptop all the time and I'd start having performance problems after a while but all that solved it. I play Pillars 2 all details high with no problems.

That was me. Thanks mate!

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

the memory of ydwin will live on in our hearts

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Dante posted:

Cipher is very thematic (maybe less so in Deadfire than in PoE1) and makes sense for a watcher. But if we stick to your point #3 I'd say Barbarian is a pretty loving cool class to play.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I love how you can immediately tell that there's a 100% chance he's talking about Ydwin, the Anime Sidekick.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Has there been any word on whether a Strategy Guide is going to come out for Pillars II yet? Hopping between a million tabs tends to make me crazier than just reading a book cover to cover.

Just started Saturday and can see how this game can lead to alt-itis craziness. I played a Conjurer Wizard through most of the first island and then immediately re-rolled as an Ascetic (Helwalker/Shifter) so that I could Kung Fu Bear my way through to the first major city. Really loving the Ascetic, although I've had one or two boat encounters where she exploded within the first round of combat to focused fire at her starting +15% damage. So, the glass cannon-y elements of her are occasionally... painful.

The multi-class system is already way, way more interesting to me than base Pillars, both mechanically and story-wise. I think my second playthrough is almost certainly reserved for being a Berath Paladin / Cipher who has a background of "All the Bad Decisions" for an import save. I can only imagine what the dialogue trees will look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Coldforge posted:

I'm only sad that I can't choose all three, tbh. Being a super powerful team of violent magical warriors has it's perks!

*sails off to pillage more shipping lanes to the blissful sounds of sea shanties*

this ^

i will gladly sell digital children into generations of slavery if it means i get a cool sword. I killed the prince immediately and got his amazing items and will continue to do so. My only regret is "no faction" isn't an option. Poe1 having the "kill raedric and kolsc" option was great, he's completely baffled why you'd pick the grimdark chaos option.

this flavor text is my poe mantra