Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Mine is any time someone's nose is broken after which they are legally obligated to say out loud "YOU broke my nooose!"

That's a bad one. Alongside 'are you ready?' answered by 'only one way to find out' or 'lets find out'

Can we have a moratorium on both those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

What do people think of the trailers for Hotel Artemis?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Davros1 posted:

I thought it looked cool, but very derivative of the Continental scenes in John Wick, which are probably my favorite aspects of those movies. Had a bit of an Assault on Precinct 13 vibe too, which I appreciate, and more than a dash of Marvel Comics' Night Nurse, who patches up injured heroes in a secret underground hospital. Unless reviews are absolutely awful, I'll make it a point to see it in the theater. If people I trust tell me not to bother, it's a rental for sure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neo Rasa posted:

Mine is any time someone's nose is broken after which they are legally obligated to say out loud "YOU broke my nooose!"

To be fair it's probably easier to just have the character say it rather than have them put on prosthetic makeup because even a crunchy sound effect still doesn't make it clear.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I thought it looked cool, but very derivative of the Continental scenes in John Wick, which are probably my favorite aspects of those movies. Had a bit of an Assault on Precinct 13 vibe too, which I appreciate, and more than a dash of Marvel Comics' Night Nurse, who patches up injured heroes in a secret underground hospital. Unless reviews are absolutely awful, I'll make it a point to see it in the theater. If people I trust tell me not to bother, it's a rental for sure.

Isn't it in John Wick's universe? I thought that feeling was intentional

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, I forgot to say that I also watched Congo and thought it was entertaining enough. Ernie Hudson was definitely the highlight. Maybe everyone will disagree, but I think it managed to walk that line that adventure movies really need to be able to where it manages to be lighthearted without being completely lightweight (something that's been discussed before in this thread and something that the Indiana Jones movies are very good at).

There's probably a world in which this could have been the next Jurassic Park; it just wasn't this one.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Davros1 posted:

I'm just hoping for some proper Sofia Boutella beatdowns after Atomic Blonde failed to deliver on that part.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

After giving it a rewatch, I’m of the opinion that Hard Target is definitely John Woo’s best American Film. Face/Off is fun and goofy as gently caress, but the story is bloated and the action is only decent because of the limitations of the stars (Cage is fine, Travolta ain’t up to the job). Hard Target has peak Van Damme, Lance Henrikson devouring scenery with a knife and fork, Cajun Wilfred Brimley, and some truly great setpieces (the ending in the Mardi Gras float warehouse is inspired). It’s also arguably the most Woo-ey of his American output with how it’s shot and paced. But that might be because it feels like Hard Target has way less studio fingerprints on it than Face/Off and Mission Impossible: 2 does.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
https://twitter.com/TalkFilmSoc/status/998607282710528000

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hype level was already 100, now it's like 1000.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
That cast is loving wild. Like, I was already a guaranteed ticket for John Wick 3, but Anjelica Huston, Mark Dacascos, Jason Mantzoukas and those three being announced is like they're trying to specifically win me over.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tiger Chen is legit too, more people need to check out Man of Tai Chi .

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Man of Tai Chi is pretty drat good and you get a nice payoff to everything at the end. Keanu Reeves is a very decent director, let's the action do a lot of the talking. I liked it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LesterGroans posted:

Jason Mantzoukas

.... wait am I reading that right? Like, the guy from The League?

:wtc:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

He'll be Wick's helper. Like Peter Serafinowicz in the 2nd movie.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

GODDAMN RIGHT

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yup.

Playing someone called The Tick Tock Man.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What in the

e: I'm not mad but I am definitely confused

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Holy gently caress, Mark Dacascos. I'm all about that

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5834262/

Not seeing a lot of buzz around this, but it's got some big names. Hotel Artemis.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Check this very page, heh heh

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

Check this very page, heh heh

Ah yes, i should probably look up. Shoot.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1FswhQmILLU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Narzack posted:

Holy gently caress, Mark Dacascos. I'm all about that

Me too. Drive is a non stop action classic. If you're in this thread and you ain't seen Drive (1997) change that asap.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
He's also fantastic in 'the Brotherhood of the Wolf' and turns in a surprisingly good performance in 'Crying Freeman' opposite Tchecky Karyo.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Yikes. Jet Li is not looking... great. His manager says he has hyperthyroidism. I hope that’s all it is... :ohdear:

https://news.avclub.com/jet-lis-manager-insists-that-hes-fine-after-viral-photo-1826245556

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Yikes. Jet Li is not looking... great. His manager says he has hyperthyroidism. I hope that’s all it is... :ohdear:

https://news.avclub.com/jet-lis-manager-insists-that-hes-fine-after-viral-photo-1826245556

Goddamn I assumed that was a joke and he was just wearing makeup for a new role. He was in an Expendables movie like 4 years ago and he definitely didn't look that bad then.

Edit: There are other pics of him from very recently that look nowhere near as bad. I think that may just be a particularly bad posture + lighting.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 23, 2018

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

He was in this just last year if you want to watch him fight Jack Ma.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfS9Uf5SKu8

and he looks to be doing alright in this short bts bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utCdVa1ki6U

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Keanu's only able to keep going at his age because he's got incredible genetics and also wasn't an Action Guy 100% of the time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Goddamn I assumed that was a joke and he was just wearing makeup for a new role. He was in an Expendables movie like 4 years ago and he definitely didn't look that bad then.

Edit: There are other pics of him from very recently that look nowhere near as bad. I think that may just be a particularly bad posture + lighting.

Yeah like even the in the article he doesn't look that bad in the second picture, just older, the first one is just a bad picture in every way.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I bet he is super excited, he's a giant Fast&Furious and Crank Fan and I know he wanted to be in more action movies.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Now Halle Berry has joined the ever growing John Wick 3 cast

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

I hope she actually gets to do something. They made the fact that she never got to do anything a plot point in Kingsman 2, a movie where she never does anything.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Kingsman 2 is probably the most disappointing sequel I've seen in the past five years.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't see Skyline, but Beyond Skyline is beyond amazing. Every time you think this movie can't add something new, it does, and it makes sense, and it executes it well. It's a better "let's super-brawl with super-aliens" movie than anything Marvel's put out since, Idunno, the first Guardians movie.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Wandle Cax posted:

what in the

okay, even if I hadn't seen either of the first two, I'd be hype for this movie simply because its cast is loving ludicrous

Halloween Jack posted:

I didn't see Skyline, but Beyond Skyline is beyond amazing. Every time you think this movie can't add something new, it does, and it makes sense, and it executes it well. It's a better "let's super-brawl with super-aliens" movie than anything Marvel's put out since, Idunno, the first Guardians movie.

yeah the first Skyline is meh at best but Beyond rules

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Kingsman 2 is probably the most disappointing sequel I've seen in the past five years.

Agreed. I have Kingsman on blu ray and I was all set to buy the sequel too but I really have no desire to ever watch it again. The cardinal sin they committed was keeping Firth on the sidelines for like 95% of the movie.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

what in the

okay, even if I hadn't seen either of the first two, I'd be hype for this movie simply because its cast is loving ludicrous

tbf if you hadn't seen the first two yet then your priorities would be so out of whack who knows what you'd do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah the first Skyline is meh at best but Beyond rules
I was going to link a trailer, but it doesn't do it justice.