Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Discendo Vox posted:

As amahd says, they're forced trained to respond "it's my pleasure" in response to "thank you" every time, which, if you're a polite goober like me who thanks service staff automatically for everything, produces absurd and horrible feedback effects where an attempt to treat FoH as human beings forces them to enact The It's My Pleasure Protocol over, and over, and over again. It's cringe-inducing, the "thank you sir may I have another" of food service. But my understanding is that's it's just one part of an unusually extensive and irregular interaction vocab that's meant to make the staff seem unusually subservient to the customer. It's one of the other reasons it's really popular with the conservative crowd.

Uuuggggh. This is why my cranky rear end works back of house for a non-corporate store, where I can respond to a ticket today that says:

EGG AND CHEESE BISCUIT
*NO EGG
*SUB TXS TOAST

with "the gently caress is this poo poo?!", and my manager just chuckles and pats me on the back when she looks the ticket over. I already have a bad case of Resting Bitch Face, if I was FOH taking that order I probably would've killed everyone in a 5 yard radius with my glare.

Ah, that reminds me of my favorite subject, Stupid Tickets. Highlights from Mother's Day brunch:

"New biz guys, I need a vegan burrito, no cheese"
[record scratch noise]
"It's... Vegan. There is no cheese."

And

"New biz, I need an omelette, side of collards. No bacon with those greens."
[we cook our collards in bacon fat]
After we explained this to FOH, I helpfully suggested just collecting some lawn clippings and calling it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Oooh! I can comment on that first one!
I have a severe allergy to casein (milk protein) and people constantly gently caress up my orders; you'd be terrified to see how many things I've ordered vegan end up being vegetarian and covered in cheese. I will blanket ask paranoid ingredient questions so I don't have to send things back, so I assume many servers have given some crazy loving tickets to kitchens on my behalf.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The amount of “no X” on tickets for items that don’t contain X or “sub Y/ add Y” on items that the menu clearly states contains Y is impressive, but I generally chalk that up to tickets being hand written and the server simply writing down whatever the customer says. This also leads to things like “extra extra very extra crispy “ on people’s fries, etc. not the end of the world, but occasionally annoying depending on how railed we are at the moment.

E: far more annoying is hearing a server ask if someone wants any cocktail or tartar sauce with their shrimp basket and getting a “no thank you,” only to have the server come back asking for a side of cocktail within a minute of the basket being sent.

Also, it’s high school graduation this weekend, so we have a fuckload of roasters of wings ordered for kids parties, about 5000 wings across the weekend. I spend a good 2 1/2 hours loadin and re-loading the four little fryer baskets that could this afternoon, and to be honest, it was pretty relaxed for the amount of food being made.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 19, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A family member has a fun/ terrible restriction; a canola oil allergy.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

E: far more annoying is hearing a server ask if someone wants any cocktail or tartar sauce with their shrimp basket and getting a “no thank you,” only to have the server come back asking for a side of cocktail within a minute of the basket being sent.

Ugh, I had a lady specifically ask for black coffee and when I brought it immediately said "oh and when you get a minute I'll take some cream and sugar". At least she had the decency to admit she was an idiot when I gave her the chipper "oh I'm so sorry, I thought you said you wanted it black". No idea why I'm still salty about that. I'm planning to finally take the plunge and deal with the pay cut from getting a bullshit office job assuming the bfs promotion goes through next month as planned and the fantasy of having a normal schedule where I'm diurnal is doing weird things to my brain.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the most frustrating experience i ever had was working a fast food register in high school and having people brusquely cut me off during the upsell pitch, ring up and take payment for the order only for them to pause and then order a drink right after i was finished with the transaction

it's a really small thing but for some reason it felt utterly dehumanizing in a way that the belligerent customers never managed to. like, people look down on fast food employees so much that they'll automatically discount anything they say

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the most frustrating experience i ever had was working a fast food register in high school and having people brusquely cut me off during the upsell pitch, ring up and take payment for the order only for them to pause and then order a drink right after i was finished with the transaction

it's a really small thing but for some reason it felt utterly dehumanizing in a way that the belligerent customers never managed to. like, people look down on fast food employees so much that they'll automatically discount anything they say

They were trying to get the drink for free. Cheap assholes do this poo poo all the time because they know as often as not the minimum wage cashier will just hand them a cup and wave them off instead of holding up the line for another transaction.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I'm back in another kitchen. At least my boss isn't insane this time?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I have a binder clip full of stupid tickets in my office, but some of my favorite ones are lost to old jobs/smashed phones. Some of my favs:

Abalone app
SHELLFISH ALLERGY

Apricot Salad
NO APRICOT

Pork Ribs
NO BONES

(2) side egg
8 MINUTE POACH

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MohawkSatan posted:

I'm back in another kitchen. At least my boss isn't insane this time?

You're probably wrong about the second part.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

pile of brown posted:

I have a binder clip full of stupid tickets in my office, but some of my favorite ones are lost to old jobs/smashed phones. Some of my favs:
Apricot Salad
NO APRICOT

My favorite from my distant, distant past is probably:

Beef Brocc.
NO BROCCOLI

as if the guest were like, 'yeah lemme just get the beef'

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

pile of brown posted:

(2) side egg
8 MINUTE POACH

Was there any egg left after that?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

12 rats tied together posted:

My favorite from my distant, distant past is probably:

Beef Brocc.
NO BROCCOLI

as if the guest were like, 'yeah lemme just get the beef'

Sounds like a kid order.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
One of boss's dumb retired farmer buddies ordered shrimp, of course he didn't want any cocktail or tartar. Then when he got the basket, he said he wanted tartar. When I gave him tartar, he looked and it, and and threw it skidding down the bar and said, "No I want tartar sauce! With the ketchup and the horseradish! Tartar Sauce!" Yeah sure, dipshit, here's your cocktail sauce, go throw another few thousand dollars at the video lottery and shut your stupid mouth.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Jesus Christ. Those people are the worst customers.

We are short staffed as gently caress right now at my joint right now but I need the cash (I owe the IRS) so sighhh.

Here's to spending my summer in a restaurant all summer... :suicide:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

One of boss's dumb retired farmer buddies ordered shrimp, of course he didn't want any cocktail or tartar. Then when he got the basket, he said he wanted tartar. When I gave him tartar, he looked and it, and and threw it skidding down the bar and said, "No I want tartar sauce! With the ketchup and the horseradish! Tartar Sauce!" Yeah sure, dipshit, here's your cocktail sauce, go throw another few thousand dollars at the video lottery and shut your stupid mouth.

I once worked at a place where the chef HATED ranch dressing. With a passion. He liked everything else and we made our dressings in house, until one day a customer came in and insisted on ranch - except we have no buttermilk on hand, couldn't even make it if we wanted to. We wound up sending someone to the store to buy some, customer got an undressed salad and a bottle of Hidden Valley. She was not impressed.

Edit: He also just wanted to shame her for insisting on having something that's not listed on the menu as an available option.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Well, 7 years out of the biz (and 4.5 since starting the wine thing), I am here re-learning calculus and python and R as I contemplate a masters in stats or DATA or whatever. Kill me now.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Shooting Blanks posted:

I once worked at a place where the chef HATED ranch dressing. With a passion. He liked everything else and we made our dressings in house, until one day a customer came in and insisted on ranch - except we have no buttermilk on hand, couldn't even make it if we wanted to. We wound up sending someone to the store to buy some, customer got an undressed salad and a bottle of Hidden Valley. She was not impressed.

Edit: He also just wanted to shame her for insisting on having something that's not listed on the menu as an available option.

Good. gently caress ranch.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Field Mousepad posted:

Good. gently caress ranch.

Basically this.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What the hell is wrong with Ranch dressing? It's basically a staple at every American restaurant.

I'm not saying you have to like it but come on.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

:jerry:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
People put it on goddamn everything they eat and that is disgusting to me. I can't imagine doing that with any condiment, especially the same one every time.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sriracha?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Eh hot sauce kinda gets a pass from me just because there are so many variations and flavors.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Ranch is pretty universally bad. Hot sauce generally gets a pass depending on what kind and what you're using it for - I've never been a fan (nor know any big fans of) Tabasco, for instance, but Crystal, Sriracha, Cholula, et. al. have their uses. Not to mention all the smaller brands that make some really unique stuff.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
My dad was a huge Tabasco fan, and I don't have the heart to tell him I can't stand that watery nonsense. I prefer a hot sauce with some body to it, typically I go with Cholula (or Valentina if I'm broke).

As far as ranch dressing goes, it's as omnipresent in the rural Midwest as hosed up teeth and drinking problems. I never really minded it until I watched a fully grown adult man cover a steak in it.

But once I got a death threat because one of my drivers forgot to deliver a cup of it alongside a pizza, I began to hate it.

(I told the guy, over the phone, that I was the only person working in a college-city pizzeria, on a Friday night in October, so him killing me would be the bright point of my year. He got really nervous and awkward, and hung up shortly after that.)

gently caress ranch.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm not a fan of Tabasco at all but it is amazing in cream based soups like New England clam chowder. Something about how that vinegary taste cuts through the cream is just delicious to me for some reason.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Ranch is pretty universally bad. Hot sauce generally gets a pass depending on what kind and what you're using it for - I've never been a fan (nor know any big fans of) Tabasco, for instance, but Crystal, Sriracha, Cholula, et. al. have their uses. Not to mention all the smaller brands that make some really unique stuff.

Here comes inspiration!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
We go through 12-16 gallons of ranch a week, depending on how busy we are. Our seating capacity is 88 people.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Upon reflection, I'm honestly surprised i cant recall a ranch request at my place. Granted, we"re a breakfast joint, but that ain't stopping a lot of folks from odd requests (I once jogged through a snowstorm to our sister store because someone wanted sour cream OTS). Funny thing is we have buttermilk for days in our reach-ins, because we need it to make biscuits. I theoretically could make ranch on the fly, no problem, but have never been asked to.

Probably just jinxed myself, someone's gonna want ranch at 6:30 am tomorrow and I'll be the one to deal with it

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

I really wanna post my personal Cajun aoli recipe but gently caress that.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Real talk. Someone put ranch on a steak.

What the.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Upon reflection, I'm honestly surprised i cant recall a ranch request at my place. Granted, we"re a breakfast joint, but that ain't stopping a lot of folks from odd requests (I once jogged through a snowstorm to our sister store because someone wanted sour cream OTS). Funny thing is we have buttermilk for days in our reach-ins, because we need it to make biscuits. I theoretically could make ranch on the fly, no problem, but have never been asked to.

Probably just jinxed myself, someone's gonna want ranch at 6:30 am tomorrow and I'll be the one to deal with it

There's a bank on the same block as us and I frequently am given a drawer with multiple hundred dollar bills in it because no one thought to walk 60 feet, and you went through a snowstorm for sour cream?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Man and his dog posted:

Real talk. Someone put ranch on a steak.

What the.

Don't you work at a pizza place? Anyone who goes to a pizza joint and orders steak already has suspect taste.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Skwirl posted:

There's a bank on the same block as us and I frequently am given a drawer with multiple hundred dollar bills in it because no one thought to walk 60 feet, and you went through a snowstorm for sour cream?
What can I say, I'm dedicated. (Really, our sister is only about 200 feet away, and that's where our shared outside walk-in is anyways. Our dumpsters are about 300 feet away and uphill, now THAT sucks in the snow.)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Field Mousepad posted:

People put it on goddamn everything they eat and that is disgusting to me. I can't imagine doing that with any condiment, especially the same one every time.

people always told me college would expand my horizons, which i kind of doubted since i went to primary and secondary school in a diverse urban setting

then i went to a rural college and learned there are people who dip their loving pizza in ranch dressing and on that day i learned to hate the other

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
White people ruin everything I swear

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Field Mousepad posted:

I really wanna post my personal Cajun aoli recipe but gently caress that.

Is it any good?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

It's probably amazing on something like a Cajun Benedict where you replace the ham with tasso, andouille, or maybe even a boudin patty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Discendo Vox posted:

Is it any good?

It's amazing on anything, no bullshit. I've been tweaking it for like 15 years.