Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Can everyone explain what they want out of Stalker 2 that they won't be getting out of Metro: Exodus?

More open gameplay and freedom like call of pripyat (I personally suspect exodus will still have a large percentage of completely railroaded/scripted content regardless of the fact that they're calling it open world), artifact hunting with a heavy focus on the more surreal parts of the setting like anomalies, the light survival elements of STALKER, and more of a focus on gameplay than story

I enjoy the metro games but they feel very much like half life 2 whereas STALKER call of pripyat is its own experience that I haven't seen in any other game

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
STALKER gives its players an almost-completely unique experience every time you play because the game is so unscripted. My story through The Zone is entirely unlike anyone else's.

Metro, on the other hand, is a very linear, guided game. Everyone's experience is going to be largely the same.

Not that one is inherently better than the other, but they are very different games.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Except maybe heading into that cave just southeast of Skadosvk and getting your face ripped off. That happens to everyone in STALKER.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Xander77 posted:

Can everyone explain what they want out of Stalker 2 that they won't be getting out of Metro: Exodus?

SNORKI

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Any tips for performance tuning? Maxing everything (on CS) brings my 1080 to its knees at 3440x1440p. :negative:

edit: from the OP, SSAO, Sun Quality and Sun Rays to low did the trick, went from 40s outside to a locked 100 with vsync on

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 17, 2018

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think I'm towards the end of SoC (with the zone mod for more vanillaish feel), what should I play after that? Most people poo poo on Clear Sky (I never played it), CoP seems to be the next one but I also downloaded Call of Chernobyl and Lost Alpha.

CoP seems polished enough (I played a bunch of hours years ago) to not need mods, but, is there any that just bugfixes stuff? I don't mind if it removes/improves the stamina because SoC is a loving slog until I find the endurance artifacts so I can just run forever. The dude gets tired by just walking a hundred meters and while It may be realistic (carrying 40kg is annoying), it slows down the game to a crawl.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Guillermus posted:

I think I'm towards the end of SoC (with the zone mod for more vanillaish feel), what should I play after that? Most people poo poo on Clear Sky (I never played it), CoP seems to be the next one but I also downloaded Call of Chernobyl and Lost Alpha.

CoP seems polished enough (I played a bunch of hours years ago) to not need mods, but, is there any that just bugfixes stuff? I don't mind if it removes/improves the stamina because SoC is a loving slog until I find the endurance artifacts so I can just run forever. The dude gets tired by just walking a hundred meters and while It may be realistic (carrying 40kg is annoying), it slows down the game to a crawl.

First time playing the series, go ahead and do CS. It's not as polished as the other two, but it's part of them. It'll also introduce you to the newer features that they kept in CoP so you understand them better
Word of advice though, before going to Limansk, repair everything and stock up on ammo. Possibly take a second main weapon you can keep in reserve so when your current one starts jamming you can just ditch it since that's pretty much the point of no return

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Guillermus posted:

I don't mind if it removes/improves the stamina because SoC is a loving slog until I find the endurance artifacts so I can just run forever. The dude gets tired by just walking a hundred meters and while It may be realistic (carrying 40kg is annoying), it slows down the game to a crawl.
Mods that remove (or increase) weight limits (literally google "weight limit mod") also remove stamina issues.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

I've been playing a bunch of Call of Chernobyl with Arsenal Overhaul (which totally rips) but I'm getting a little bored with just freeplay and fetch quests. I think I'm gonna go back to Call of Pripyat for a while and have fun with the missions -- I have fond memories of stuff like hunting mutants and searching for the oasis.

When I last played CoP in like 2012, I only with CoP Complete and a little with Swartz Mod. What other mods should I take a look at this time around? I've heard a lot about Misery and Last Day, but are they really fun? Any smaller add-ons like weapon packs and weather systems that are must-haves?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Guillermus posted:

I recommend playing CoP after SoC. Clear Sky isn't terrible but it's definitely nowhere near the other two and a lot of it is just recycled levels from the first game. It's acceptable if you absolutely need your STALKER fix but there's no reason to play it before you're done the other entries.

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug

Digirat posted:

More open gameplay and freedom like call of pripyat (I personally suspect exodus will still have a large percentage of completely railroaded/scripted content regardless of the fact that they're calling it open world), artifact hunting with a heavy focus on the more surreal parts of the setting like anomalies, the light survival elements of STALKER, and more of a focus on gameplay than story

Yeah but, not ignoring the storyline of the game, as well. I mean, modern STALKER mods add new maps but I barely know anything about them and that makes them, pretty bland, to be honest. It has been so many years and our memories could be weakened, but try to remember how you felt when you first entered Pripyat in SHoC. Seeing rotten corpses in underground labs, seeing remnants from military's last assault on Chernobyl, some of the rubble in the heaps of Garbage having some of the highest radiation activity, these are the stuff that makes me feel alive.

fairlight posted:

When I last played CoP in like 2012, I only with CoP Complete and a little with Swartz Mod. What other mods should I take a look at this time around? I've heard a lot about Misery and Last Day, but are they really fun? Any smaller add-ons like weapon packs and weather systems that are must-haves?

Huh, you're lucky. I replayed and finished CoP last year. If it has been 5-6 years for you, that should go well.

As for mods, I can't really spot many differences between MISERY and CoC. They're both based on survival, etc. Don't know about Last Day, though.

Coughing Hobo posted:

STALKER gives its players an almost-completely unique experience every time you play because the game is so unscripted. My story through The Zone is entirely unlike anyone else's.

This is why STALKER is a "PC Game". Maybe it's one of the last of the kind (personally I can't tell another from last 10 years).

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Saw this being passed around:

I could feel my soul shattering when I read that paragraph.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Shut it down.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Great Rumbler posted:

Saw this being passed around:

I could feel my soul shattering when I read that paragraph.

That highlighted paragraph isn't the worst part.

Perma death.
3 characters.
Lose all of them -> pay ingame currency that can be bought with real money for new ones.

Edit: actually it sounds really fake from the first quote in the image. Isn't it supposed to use UE4?

And I just saw this:

https://twitter.com/shaikhulud/status/997218324995067911

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 17, 2018

Pixelponny
Oct 30, 2007

Two bloody great handfuls
Pillbug

Sininu posted:

And I just saw this:

This is good for crypto, uhh, I mean this is good because this means there's so much hype that some people would want to make a hoax & it is effective.

When I was scrolling down, my hopes were shattered, as well.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
it says they hope nintendo has a more powerful console so they can release it on that lol

It's probably fake, but if they are dumb enough to think "gee what do players like...I know, MICROTRANSACTIONS TO PLAY THE GAME" after the SW battlefield stuff then lol

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'd play mmo stalker

maybe not that mmo stalker but still

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Coughing Hobo posted:

STALKER gives its players an almost-completely unique experience every time you play because the game is so unscripted.

well this is kind of the promise of STALKER but none of the past games can really deliver on it because after a few playthroughs you know where all the danger and treasure are and the zone is no longer a mystery to you, so you end up on a downward spiral of increasingly ridiculous hardcore mods until you're playing misery on dark mode just to feel something

this is why the stalker 2 of my dreams dumps you into a totally new procedurally generated zone at the start of every new game. it's a huge mess and half the time the story can't even be finished the way it spawns, because that's STALKER as gently caress

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 19, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

poverty goat posted:

well this is kind of the promise of STALKER but none of the past games can really deliver on it because after a few playthroughs you know where all the danger and treasure are and the zone is no longer a mystery to you, so you end up on a downward spiral of increasingly ridiculous hardcore mods until you're playing misery on dark mode just to feel something

this is why the stalker 2 of my dreams dumps you into a totally new procedurally generated zone at the start of every new game. it's a huge mess and half the time the story can't even be finished the way it spawns, because that's STALKER as gently caress
You could probably track through a number of open levels a-la Stalker 1, then a big blowout happens, and the anomaly locations / mutants / faction power structures and shelters shift around as you track back for story reasons - and maybe once you get back to the start, you have a story reason to go through the areas that were previously optional, and are now highly dangerous.

Make the point about the zone being dangerous and unpredictable. As for trying to make the player be surprised the second or third time they play - I don't think that's a feasible priority.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I hope stalker2 winds up being good.

In the meantime, I've got a .ltx question about CoC. In stalker, each gun can potentially have different mouse sensitivity. Pistols are fast, larger rifles are slow. This annoys me, so I wanna disable it.

I did some research and found that control_inertion_factor is the variable that does this. So I'm going to go through each file in gamedata/configs/weapons/*.ltx and set everything to control_inertion_factor = 1.0

Or is there a smarter way to do this? Like: is there a one-line change I can do in another file that will achieve the same effect?

edit: this worked by the way! great improvement, highly recommended. if you want to do this, and for some reason you're using unix utils in cygwin:

code:
cd 'F:/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Chernobyl/gamedata/configs'

git init
git add .
git commit -m init

for i in weapons/*.ltx; do 
  sed -e 's/^\(control_inertion_factor.*= \)\(.*\)/\11.0/g' -i $i 
  unix2dos.exe $i
done

git commit -m 'change control_inertion_factor in all files to 1.0' .

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 19, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I've been playing Shadow for the first time, and it's my first experience with STALKER outside of reading Roadside Picnic forever ago and getting the game on steam, booting it up, and being confused and dying a lot for two hours before uninstalling it a few years back.

I'm heading into the sarcophagus now, and honestly, while I've loved the game the whole way through, these last few areas have not been doing it for me at all, ever since they've started boosting enemy counts for the last few story missions and started doing the more action-y setpiece things. Are the other games a bit more in line with the tone and gameplay at the start of the game, or do they latch more on to the lategame stuff?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Clear Sky has a lot of the annoying big enemy blobs in the late game too if I remember right but Pripyat is a lot more conservative with enemy counts.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, CoP is the only one without an annoying endgame.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Uhh didn't COP end with a monolithe horde from all sides kind of thing?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Morter posted:

It did, but you had backup from Strelok and the other soldiers and it didn't seem like they threw that many Monolith at you compared to SoC, which just freaking dragged.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So I've been playing Shadow for the first time, and it's my first experience with STALKER outside of reading Roadside Picnic forever ago and getting the game on steam, booting it up, and being confused and dying a lot for two hours before uninstalling it a few years back.

I'm heading into the sarcophagus now, and honestly, while I've loved the game the whole way through, these last few areas have not been doing it for me at all, ever since they've started boosting enemy counts for the last few story missions and started doing the more action-y setpiece things. Are the other games a bit more in line with the tone and gameplay at the start of the game, or do they latch more on to the lategame stuff?

Clear Sky has the same problem and you're not missing much skipping it. The Call of Pripyat ending is a lot quicker. There is still a massive battle but it is a single mission that you can't just stumble into through inertia. CoP plays a bit differently than the first 2 due to the map changes. Instead of a many interconnected zones you have 3 large, dense zones that work similar to WoW zones where most of the quests are self-contained. This means you're never in a position where you are basically forced to finish the game because you can't be bothered walking all the way back to the bar. Also unlike SoC, you get to spend a lot more time in Pripyat doing side-missions if you're into that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morter posted:

Yeah, but it’s just a ~5 minute run as the final fight in the whole game and you also have allies, so it’s a cool climactic moment instead of a slog

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Everyone here has false memories of Clear Sky. Between the swamps (once you get past the Cordon machine gun) and Limansk, you barely ever have to fight human enemies on your own, and almost always have backup.

In Limansk you have the construction site (pretty bullshit, yeah), the hospital (not quite as bullshit, but combined with annoying semi-puzzles) and the final bit (reminiscent of SoC, but not nearly as overwhelming). Also, you can trade for healing items and get your armor fixed while in the endgame section, which is nice.

CoP actually has more bullshit in the endgame section - it's just that the endgame is a series of missions interrupted by returns to the base, which ostensibly allow you to go hang out in the open world (not that there's anything to do there)

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 21, 2018

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The gimmicky boss fight with Strelok kind of sucks, but yeah it definitely doesn't drag like the end of SoC.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Stalker has ruined video games for me I think. I don't know what it is about stalker, but nothing quite matches it. I think I've enjoyed other games more, but, stalker is probably the only game I've ever replayed.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Everyone here has false memories of Clear Sky. Between the swamps (once you get past the Cordon machine gun) and Limansk, you barely ever have to fight human enemies on your own, and almost always have backup.

In Limansk you have the construction site (pretty bullshit, yeah), the hospital (not quite as bullshit, but combined with annoying semi-puzzles) and the final bit (reminiscent of SoC, but not nearly as overwhelming). Also, you can trade for healing items and get your armor fixed while in the endgame section, which is nice.

CoP actually has more bullshit in the endgame section - it's just that the endgame is a series of missions interrupted by returns to the base, which ostensibly allow you to go hang out in the open world (not that there's anything to do there)

Ah, I see. You're trying to trick people into replaying Clear Sky to see if it's their or your memories which are bullshit. That's hosed up dude.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Clear Sky wouldn't have been so bad if the game didn't try its hardest to prevent me from completing it. I had so many broken questlines and doomed save files. The other game that refused to let me beat it for the same reasons was GTAV.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I could forgive Clear Sky a lot of its sins if the half-assed faction system had been fully-assed instead. So many useless teammates, camps vanishing for no reason, the ability to conquer enemy bases except it's so glitchy it will never happen, etc.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Clear Sky was already redeemed by the excellent faction war mod.

I hardly remember the endgame of any of the games though, its the journey etc etc

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

buglord posted:

Clear Sky wouldn't have been so bad if the game didn't try its hardest to prevent me from completing it. I had so many broken questlines and doomed save files. The other game that refused to let me beat it for the same reasons was GTAV.

That's what happened to me when I played Call of Pripyat. I made it pretty far in that game (at least I think I did) and then it broke and the save corrupted. I was using the CoP Complete mod though I think, so maybe that's what did it. Maybe that's what that mod was really supposed to do - to get the true Complete experience, the game must crash and bug out.

I kinda want to play these games again though since it's been years.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

It did, but you had backup from Strelok and the other soldiers and it didn't seem like they threw that many Monolith at you compared to SoC, which just freaking dragged.

sounds like somebody left for red forest without enough bullets

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

sounds like somebody left for red forest without enough bullets

lol, just lol if you are trying to finish SoC with anything other than a scoped nato ar

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Prav posted:

i'd play mmo stalker

maybe not that mmo stalker but still

Will To Live Online is sorta this but it's really underdeveloped. Has a good core but lacks human enemies.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

aniviron posted:

I could forgive Clear Sky a lot of its sins if the half-assed faction system had been fully-assed instead. So many useless teammates, camps vanishing for no reason, the ability to conquer enemy bases except it's so glitchy it will never happen, etc.
Ditto.

Kenzie posted:

That's what happened to me when I played Call of Pripyat. I made it pretty far in that game (at least I think I did) and then it broke and the save corrupted. I was using the CoP Complete mod though I think, so maybe that's what did it. Maybe that's what that mod was really supposed to do - to get the true Complete experience, the game must crash and bug out.
Ditto, and I think it might be possible that any friendly NPCs you've spawned in Pripyat will cause the cutscene where Strelok shows up / you wait out the blowout to bug out and never complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Helianthus Annuus posted:

lol, just lol if you are trying to finish SoC with anything other than a scoped nato ar

just lol if you can't finish the game with all the 5.45x39mm AP you can carry when you set off for the brain scorcher