Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of, didn't Trump say (back in the 90's or whenver) that he'd totally bone Princess Di (and/or that she totally wanted to bone him?) but he'd make her get an AIDS test first, presumably because of the times she shook hands/hugged people w/ HIV and Trump is an idiot?

That's just being prudent, after all 75% or more of all sexually active people will contract HPV at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Sexhavers pay the price.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Volcott posted:

Sexhavers pay the price.

This sounds like a show that would've been a Spike TV Original series.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Volcott posted:

Sexhavers pay the price.

Meh, sex is good and cool and it keeps you from becoming an incel weirdo, HPV is a small price

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Straight White Shark posted:

That's just being prudent, after all 75% or more of all sexually active people will contract HPV at some point.

Isn't everybody just born with It? I thought it was herpes that 3/4 people pick up along the way.

HPV has a bunch of different strains that you can get but you start with one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Isn't everybody just born with It? I thought it was herpes that 3/4 people pick up along the way.

So it's a pokemon?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Volcott posted:

Sexhavers pay the price.

It's some people's own private Vietnam.

It was my own private Grenada.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Straight White Shark posted:

I appreciate this post

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Krispy Wafer posted:

George Carlin's rape jokes were pretty loving uncomfortable. And it wasn't even something you could pass off as a simpler time like David Bowie and 14 year olds in the 70's. He was telling those jokes in 1990.

I hadn't listened to the routine since then so I just tried looking it up and now the hot take is Carlin was trying to fight the idea that women are asking through humor, but it really sounds like he's just joking about rape.

Carlin just seemed to get angrier once he stopped using drugs and got older and balder.

A lot of stand up ages poorly, unfortunately. Context and "the parlance of our times" really is everything for a lot of it. There's a lot of comedians I love (Murphy, Kinison, Pryor, some Carlin) whose poo poo does not hold up or work AT ALL any more and it goes WAY back a lot of times. poo poo like guys telling women to get in the kitchen, fag/AIDS jokes...a lot of it really.

Then again, a lot of Cosby stuff holds up great and look how that went. And for some reason, Dane Cook was the most popular comedian in the world for maybe half a decade. Comedy seems to have its own unique Overton Window that I can never quite nail down.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Carlin just seemed to get angrier once he stopped using drugs and got older and balder.

A lot of stand up ages poorly, unfortunately. Context and "the parlance of our times" really is everything for a lot of it. There's a lot of comedians I love (Murphy, Kinison, Pryor, some Carlin) whose poo poo does not hold up or work AT ALL any more and it goes WAY back a lot of times. poo poo like guys telling women to get in the kitchen, fag/AIDS jokes...a lot of it really.

Then again, a lot of Cosby stuff holds up great and look how that went. And for some reason, Dane Cook was the most popular comedian in the world for maybe half a decade. Comedy seems to have its own unique Overton Window that I can never quite nail down.

There's a new Garry Shandling special on HBO talking about his career and his 80's material still holds up incredibly well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Krispy Wafer posted:

There's a new Garry Shandling special on HBO talking about his career and his 80's material still holds up incredibly well.

Speaking of Shandling, how does the old "Gary Shandling Show" hold up? I remember so little about it besides it not shattering the fourth wall because it had no fourth wall, where the audience and crew members were as much a part of the plot as the characters, which in retrospect is super unique and bizarre.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BiggerBoat posted:

He got off the stuff I enjoyed the most - absurdities of the English language. Still, I wished he had lived long enough to take on the 2008 US elections.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm surprised how well Cheers has held up. Robin is such an 80's corporate bad guy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm surprised how well Cheers has held up. Robin is such an 80's corporate bad guy.

Cheers is fantastic. Great writing and really good actors. I think it's my second favorite sitcom behind All in the Family.

Off topic, but I was listening to a radio show today and the call in question was "best performers who were famous on TV AND in film. Oddly, it was sports talk show, but several of the answers were really cool. George Clooney, Bruce Willis, Tom Hanks, Robin Williams, Wil Smith, Jennifer Anniston, Denzel Washington, Billy Crystal, Danny DeVito, Cher...

Unsurprisingly, not a lot of women.

I tried to get on air because my answer was Ron Howard since he went back so far and has done so much through several generations.

I guess it's kinda, sorta related since it has to do with "aging well" since you need longevity to accomplish it, so figured I'd throw it out there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Bloop posted:

give lowtax $5 to buy a spine and give yourself a new look. Maybe a cute puppy

Or piss someone off and get red text!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

He got off the stuff I enjoyed the most - absurdities of the English language. Still, I wished he had lived long enough to take on the 2008 US elections.

I think he probably would have gone on stage and just exploded. Not figuratively exploding in anger I mean literally just exploding. Not in a murder or terror attack way or anything. The bitterness and anger would reach crtitcal mass and kablooey.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If I remember correctly it really only matters for women because it’s linked to cervical cancer

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

If I remember correctly it really only matters for women because it’s linked to cervical cancer

I mean, some people get the kind that gives warts and have problems from that but I'm pretty sure even a lot of the wart strains aren't persistent.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Yup. There are like seven strains that increase your risk of cervical cancer. That's why there's a vaccine recommended for it now. Of course the right is going "lol that's what you get for being a slut" but if you're born with one of those seven...well, that isn't really your own fault, now is it? I think that having more strains also increases your risk but for most people HPV just kind of hangs around in your junk and doesn't do much.

I could be wrong, though. I'm neither a medical professional nor an expert on such things. Just a random internet dude that's read some poo poo.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

it wasn't even something you could pass off as a simpler time like David Bowie and 14 year olds in the 70's

People try to pass this off a simpler time? Bowie was a straight up loving creep

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Bushmaori posted:

People try to pass this off a simpler time? Bowie was a straight up loving creep

Yeah, I'm seriously, madly, in love with his music, but maaaaan, the more I know about him, the more I realize it would have been a bad idea to hang around him for like, the mid 90s.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Lori Mattox's story does not add up though, she was already famously dating the guy from Led Zeppelin for a year by the time her alleged encounter with Bowie took place. I don't remember where the article came from but the official biographer for Jimmy Page was able to provide enough info that her time line did not make sense.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bushmaori posted:

Yeah, but for some reason famous people during the 50's, 60's, and 70's could have their uncomfortable proclivities swept under the rug. You literally had to rape a child and then flee the country to get labeled a creep and even then you were still considered a very talented creep.

Regardless, age of consent was a tricky topic in the 70's.

HPV is linked to cancer in whatever hole is being used, so it can impact men as well as women.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Aretha Franklin's father once impregnated a 12-year old member of his congregation.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Aretha Franklin's father once impregnated a 12-year old member of his congregation.

Now that was a bad episode.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Unkempt posted:

Now that was a bad episode.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I don't know if this counts given how relatively soon it was and the context, but browsing did have some people mention small tv documentaries so I think this counts:

Last year, a tv station here (Private owned SiC) had a 25 year anniversary special, going thru the evolution of how people experienced media thru those years. The last episode was modern day usage, interviewing several families on how they experience such. Most of it was somewhat mundane ("This person is using the TV to watch a recording to do their aerobic exercise! This child has purchased NinjaGo minifigs since he watched something related to Lego on the tv!"), but one was somewhat interesting and would make sense to put on such: A little girl around the age of 4,5 searches online for a tutorial on how to draw a butterfly on her tablet, grabs some paper and some crayons, and sets the tablet on her small table to follow the instructions to draw a butterfly.

That situation is wholesome and could easily be on an archive of the times or a language course book. I immediately understood what she was doing and nearly everyone who watched that gleaned it. But... not the reporters. What followed was an absolutely insane barrage of questions at her: ("ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION TO THE TABLET OR YOUR DRAWING? WHY DID YOU SEARCH ONLINE?? CAN YOU DRAW OTHER THINGS??? WHY ARE YOU DRAWING A BUTTERFLY???? WHY DO YOU NEED THE TABLET TO LOOK AT HOW A BUTTERFLY IS LIKE, CAN'T YOU LOOK AT NATURE??? DO YOU ACTUALLY NEED GUIDANCE ON HOW TO DRAW A BUTTERFLY???!!! WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO DRAW WITH YOUR IMAGINATION INSTEAD OF HAVING THE INTERNET HAVING TO TELL YOU HOW TO DRAW??????? ") in a matter that was the most intelligence-insulting thing I've seen in years from that station.

The most amusing part of seeing that, other than utter bafflement at "Hello, I'm probably using the internet in the most wholesome and most explicit way possible", was that shitfit came a few days before the Youtube Kids debacle.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, because butterflies in nature are well known for sitting in one spot without moving with a 4 year old near them. And real artists only use their imaginations, never models of any sort. Especially when learning to draw. Like, they're trying so hard to demonize how people use the internet that they just self own by being so drat stupid

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I wonder if people were this angry once books were able to be mass produced. Why are you looking in a goddamn newfangled book for how to draw? Why don't you just go outside and learn to draw from the old masters? Stupid idiot kids.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

SpacePig posted:

I wonder if people were this angry once books were able to be mass produced. Why are you looking in a goddamn newfangled book for how to draw? Why don't you just go outside and learn to draw from the old masters? Stupid idiot kids.

Poor people having access to things previously exclusive to the rich drives some of this supposed inter-generational nonsense.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

SpacePig posted:

In the late 18th/early 19th century there was a huge moral panic over young people (and especially young women) reading too much.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SpacePig posted:

Always makes me think about that onion article, about how 90% of peoples lives are spent staring at glowing rectangles. Ok sure but let me see the onion when the printing press was invented. Everybody is spending all their lives staring at these little paper rectangles! :derp:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Araenna posted:

Yeah, because butterflies in nature are well known for sitting in one spot without moving with a 4 year old near them. And real artists only use their imaginations, never models of any sort. Especially when learning to draw. Like, they're trying so hard to demonize how people use the internet that they just self own by being so drat stupid

If you showed people how Norman Rockwell drew such detailed illustrations it'd break their little hearts.

If the picture isn't clear, he photographed models and then traced them using a projector.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Krispy Wafer posted:

If you showed people how Norman Rockwell drew such detailed illustrations it'd break their little hearts.

If the picture isn't clear, he photographed models and then traced them using a projector.

I have (had?) a framed copy of one of his paintings signed by the woman who was the model as a little girl. I think there's a picture of her attached too. Haven't seen it in awhile, might have given it away a few years ago. That's my vaguely related story.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Nah...This has been pretty common for a LONG time. I have a degree in illustration from before computers were even really a thing. We used projectors and photo reference all the time. Xerox machines...collage...and you still have to know how to draw at least a little bit to even be able trace effectively, believe it or not.

I think the difference is more to do with cobbling your own reference photos versus swiping other people's stuff. I'm still amazed at how skilled the MAD Magazine illustrators were give how little reference material they had available at the time.

wait...what thread is this?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Computer/digital art seemed to take a while for people to consider it real art.

In the 90s there was the constant argument that CG was soulless, especially in from a lot in the anime community. Cut to a handful of years later when almost every single best animated film, highest rated and highest grossing animated film of every single year started to be almost exclusively CG.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Nah...This has been pretty common for a LONG time. I have a degree in illustration from before computers were even really a thing. We used projectors and photo reference all the time. Xerox machines...collage...and you still have to know how to draw at least a little bit to even be able trace effectively, believe it or not.

I think the difference is more to do with cobbling your own reference photos versus swiping other people's stuff. I'm still amazed at how skilled the MAD Magazine illustrators were give how little reference material they had available at the time.

Sure, it's been a thing, but it's not exactly common knowledge. If you asked 10 people how Rockwell made his illustrations, I'm not entirely sure any of them would answer correctly.

quote:

wait...what thread is this?

PYF Illustrations that haven't aged well.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Live at Sunset Strip still holds up, especially the part where Pryor talk about how a trip to Africa made him stop using the word 'friend of the family'.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BiggerBoat posted:

I think the difference is more to do with cobbling your own reference photos versus swiping other people's stuff.

:nws: for black & white nudeness, Flash Gordon creator absolutely must draw figures this way :mmmhmm:

https://nmpositive.tumblr.com/post/173994969091/turhansbeycompany-boomerstarkiller67-flash

would you like to come inside and be my etchings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

SpacePig posted:

Plato, writing as Socrates, telling those kids who can write letters to get off his lawn posted:

At the Egyptian city of Naucratis, there was a famous old god, whose name was Theuth; the bird which is called the Ibis is sacred to him, and he was the inventor of many arts, such as arithmetic and calculation and geometry and astronomy and draughts and dice, but his great discovery was the use of letters. Now in those days the god Thamus was the king of the whole country of Egypt; and he dwelt in that great city of Upper Egypt which the Hellenes call Egyptian Thebes, and the god himself is called by them Ammon. To him came Theuth and showed his inventions, desiring that the other Egyptians might be allowed to have the benefit of them; he enumerated them, and Thamus enquired about their several uses, and praised some of them and censured others, as he approved or disapproved of them. It would take a long time to repeat all that Thamus said to Theuth in praise or blame of the various arts. But when they came to letters, This, said Theuth, will make the Egyptians wiser and give them better memories; it is a specific both for the memory and for the wit. Thamus replied: O most ingenious Theuth, the parent or inventor of an art is not always the best judge of the utility or inutility of his own inventions to the users of them. And in this instance, you who are the father of letters, from a paternal love of your own children have been led to attribute to them a quality which they cannot have; for this discovery of yours will create forgetfulness in the learners' souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves. The specific which you have discovered is an aid not to memory, but to reminiscence, and you give your disciples not truth, but only the semblance of truth; they will be hearers of many things and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing; they will be tiresome company, having the show of wisdom without the reality.

That last line is an accurate observation of the Internet. Found from here. Plato would not approve of you reading that.