Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

When you draft and keep Luca Sbisa, they're not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

In light of this "boo hoo VGK had it too easy, this league is a joke" whining, I decided to pull some choice quotes from shortly after the expansion draft, courtesy of this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780857&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=54

this loving owns

edit - if i had posted in that thread i would have said how bad they were but in more colorful and amusing language

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Ginette Reno posted:

If people want to complain about how they built their team then they should ask why so many NHL gms gave up on good players so easily. Why did Florida gift them a first line and a great coach. Why did Washington give up on a good defenseman in Schmidt instead of letting their backup goalie go. Why did Boston give up a defenseman who has put a 56% CF and 40 points for Vegas. etc which is basically what you're saying with your first point there.

I'm pretty sure the Caps would have been perfectly happy to let their backup goalie go. This wasn't an either-or choice, both were unprotected. The Caps had 4 guys on D to protect with 3 allowed; the choice was Schmidt or Orlov (with Niskanen and Carlson definitely protected), not Grubauer. And IMO that was a coinflip over which to protect; I think they were really hoping GMGM would take Grubauer.

Chad Sexington posted:

Where would we even put it with all of our myriad President's Trophy and Southeast Division Champs banners — which are obviously better anyway?

They replaced all those last year with one banner for each of SE/Metro division, Conference, and President's Trophy. Because it looked really dumb to have like 15 non-champion banners up there.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The Capitals could have protected Schmidt but they had a lot of good players and were forced to lose someone good no matter what. That definitely wasn’t the case with a team like Florida who could have lost one mediocre player but instead chose to lose two good ones because Dale Tallon is a moron and Florida ownership is cheap.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm sure the Caps could have added something to have GMGM take Grubauer or someone else instead of Schmidt. But not a big deal really, certainly not compared to Florida who gave them two good players for...reasons.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
According to the local media the Caps inquired about what sort of trade it would take to keep Schmidt, and the price was too high.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Apparently I got ripped off paying face value.

https://twitter.com/WUSA9sports/status/998658437956415488

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

lol jesus. I'm trying to remember what my Finals tickets were last year. I went to game 5 which I think was only like 300$ on stubhub or something like that and that was sitting in the 200/300 row where the Pens shot twice. I went with my Preds fan coworker from Tennessee and it was actually cheaper for us to drive the 9 hours and get a hotel than it would have been to go to any game in Nashville.

I think tickets were that cheap because the Pens had just lost two in a row and it was a non clinching game, and also on a Thursday. Game 7 tickets were going to be a grand for the cheapest from what I could see.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Neal getting wrecked by Byfuglien while he yelled Noooooo was the funniest thing

what/when was this, I'm starting to turn into a minor Buff fanboy but I can't recall this

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kawalimus isn't one person. It's an amalgamation of Caps fans everywhere, brought to life by playoff loathing and insecurity.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm sure the Caps could have added something to have GMGM take Grubauer or someone else instead of Schmidt. But not a big deal really, certainly not compared to Florida who gave them two good players for...reasons.

I don’t think it ever leaked what McPhee was asking for to not take Schmidt but Grubauer is a good player too and a likely starter somewhere next season. So it was either lose Grubauer and probably also lose something like a first round draft pick, or lose one of Eller/Wilson/Burakovsky if they went 4 F and 4 D. In hindsight losing Burakovsky might have been the best option but there was no real way to know he was going to be a pumpkin this season due to injuries. He was originally supposed to be a top 6 forward this season and was quite good against the Penguins in 2017.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Update from my 80 year old former hockey player friend: sincerely believes the Caps’ problem is too many Russians.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

I don’t think it ever leaked what McPhee was asking for to not take Schmidt but Grubauer is a good player too and a likely starter somewhere next season. So it was either lose Grubauer and probably also lose something like a first round draft pick, or lose one of Eller/Wilson/Burakovsky if they went 4 F and 4 D. In hindsight losing Burakovsky might have been the best option but there was no real way to know he was going to be a pumpkin this season due to injuries. He was originally supposed to be a top 6 forward this season and was quite good against the Penguins in 2017.

I thought Schmidt was just so impressive in that series last year. I know the Caps lost but he was such a force in terms of puck possession it felt like. I dunno what the fancy unreadable graphs say. I was surprised they'd let him go rather than a backup. Grubauer is good but Holtby is the guy.

I wonder what the Caps will do in FA this year if they lose Carlson. Orlov/Niskanen are still good, and Djoos looks promising. But after that it's pretty bleh. I guess maybe Johansen steps in next year and does well. Seems like he might be close to ready to contribute at least a bottom pair.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Eric the Mauve posted:

Update from my 80 year old former hockey player friend: sincerely believes the Caps’ problem is too many Russians.

How's Don doing

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Ginette Reno posted:

I thought Schmidt was just so impressive in that series last year. I know the Caps lost but he was such a force in terms of puck possession it felt like. I dunno what the fancy unreadable graphs say. I was surprised they'd let him go rather than a backup. Grubauer is good but Holtby is the guy.

I wonder what the Caps will do in FA this year if they lose Carlson. Orlov/Niskanen are still good, and Djoos looks promising. But after that it's pretty bleh. I guess maybe Johansen steps in next year and does well. Seems like he might be close to ready to contribute at least a bottom pair.

A full season of Orpik-Bowey would be... brutal. They've still got Ness down there in the AHL too, but they really do need to add a guy. Could always try and plug a hole with a John Moore kind of guy. Or uh... Mike Green?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is literally Steve Yzerman's GM Strategy. All the russians!

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Even $59 is too much to watch something I've already seen 10 times.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Ginette Reno posted:

Hoping Bowey pans out and re-signing Kempny.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

vyst posted:

This is literally Steve Yzerman's GM Strategy. All the russians!

I’m pretty sure I remember Don Cherry yelling that the Red Wings will never win the Cup because they have too many Russians right before they ripped off back to back Cups.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

I’m pretty sure I remember Don Cherry yelling that the Red Wings will never win the Cup because they have too many Russians right before they ripped off back to back Cups.

There's an interview he did where he said he was trying to build a really strong russian core.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Number19 posted:

Vegas can’t be blamed for taking what was available. The soul searching people should be doing is to answer this question: how does a team that’s giving Derek Engelland and Luca Sbisa quality minutes on their defense in the playoffs so successful?

Whomever said it earlier is right. The margin between success and mediocrity is getting thinner all the time. Coaching and management matter more than ever. Tailoring your system to your players is critically important. You can make any group of players succeed if you coach them right.

Look to your own teams and their legacy of bullshit and old boys club cruft and start asking these questions.

For me, I had this feeling when Linden was made president of the Canucks. The Oilers can’t get out from it. The Leafs continue to struggle with it. So many teams are trapped in their own bullshit. Demand better from your team. Stop supporting them financially until they they knock it off.

The VGK success is the failure of the other 30 teams in the league to properly evaluate talent and manage themselves effectively.

their GM is George McPhee and prior to this year Gallant had an NHL coaching wins avg of .463

they are getting insanely lucky and any other interpretation is fanciful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Almost everybody knew Colin Miller was good, offensively anyway. Cassidy was using him on the powerplay and giving him Krug's spot when he wasn't available.

The one idiot who didn't was Don Sweeney who protected the other Miller over him. Other Miller has improved but is only okay.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

In light of this "boo hoo VGK had it too easy, this league is a joke" whining, I decided to pull some choice quotes from shortly after the expansion draft, courtesy of this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780857&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=54

well I wasn't right, but I was also Not Wrong, which is even better than being correct. I have such good hockey opinions.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Not a bad roster overall honestly. Lacking forwards but there's a lot of potential. MAF and the backups could be decent. I think they're gonna flip a few defensemen too.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

i was right and i think that the only reason that vegas has had success is that all the other teams have been betting against themselves in vegas

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

Kinda curious how bad the Vegas team will end up being in their first season. With the expansion rules the way they are, they're pretty much guaranteed to get a halfway decent goalie, and there might be some other teams that are willing to try to offload players that are still good but are vastly overpaid.

I guess I should have said how good instead of how bad but I was right about them getting a goalie and also idiot gms giving them good but paid players like Reilly Smith.

Ginette Reno posted:

Has Jagr demanded a trade to Vegas yet?

Also disappointed this never happened.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Ah the good old days when VGK could do nothing right :allears:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Luca Sbisa was still a lovely pick, but it wasn't like Vancouver was overflowing with good players.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I've said it before but anyone whining about vegas being gifted a stanley cup because the league handed them a dominant roster / favourable draft conditions / fuckin whatever is totally free to post their betting stubs showing they put money on them to make the playoffs in oct/nov/dec. I mean its so obvious the league stacked the deck in their favour it would have been free money right?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

JawKnee posted:

their GM is George McPhee and prior to this year Gallant had an NHL coaching wins avg of .463

they are getting insanely lucky and any other interpretation is fanciful.

That's because he coached some abysmal Blue Jackets rosters. After Columbus fired him, their next coach went 0-4-1, then Hitch managed 28-29-5 with a roster whose highest scoring defenseman was Ron Hainsey.

He won over half his games with Florida.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

aejix posted:

I've said it before but anyone whining about vegas being gifted a stanley cup because the league handed them a dominant roster / favourable draft conditions / fuckin whatever is totally free to post their betting stubs showing they put money on them to make the playoffs in oct/nov/dec. I mean its so obvious the league stacked the deck in their favour it would have been free money right?

Normal people don't bet, only degenerates.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Reliving the magic and lol

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/801249372625256448

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Zodijackylite posted:

That's because he coached some abysmal Blue Jackets rosters. After Columbus fired him, their next coach went 0-4-1, then Hitch managed 28-29-5 with a roster whose highest scoring defenseman was Ron Hainsey.

He won over half his games with Florida.

Sure, but the quote I'm responding to said:

quote:

The margin between success and mediocrity is getting thinner all the time. Coaching and management matter more than ever. Tailoring your system to your players is critically important. You can make any group of players succeed if you coach them right.

Was that simply not true when Gallant was in Columbus? Or has he changed as a coach?

Or is it just more likely that a bunch of players on vegas are shooting well over league average for forwards, and they're getting lights-out goaltending from Fluery?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Half of the narratives don't even make sense when you look at them.

"Four third lines!"

They had a pretty clear-cut top six, with their #6 scorer (Neal) potting 25 goals. Alex Tuch was close at #7 with 37 points, but the scoring obviously drops off at the third line.

"They don't have any stars!"

43 goals says otherwise, even if if you've been ignoring Sprague talking about how Wild Bill is on the verge of a breakout for years. These guys are stars now, if they weren't before.

"They just got lucky!"

The classic concession of the sore loser.

"The draft was designed to make them win!"

Other GMs were just plain fuckin' stupid and protected lovely players over good ones. Some were even dumb enough to give away multiple players. Let's look at their top seven scorers:

William Karlsson (43 goals, 78 points) - Columbus protected Scott Hartnell over him, then bought out Hartnell a few weeks later.
Jon Marchessault (27 goals, 75 points) and
Reilly Smith (60 points) - Florida could've protected both of them plus another forward and exposed Alex Petrovic (14:39 ATOI, 6th on Panthers), or only lost one of them instead of negotiating the worst salary dump since Montreal traded Ryan McDonagh for Scott Gomez.
David Perron (66 points) - St. Louis protected Ryan Reaves over Perron, which is completely fair considering Reaves is worth a first-round pick and scored a GWG to send them to the finals.
Erik Haula (29 goals, 55 points) and Alex Tuch (15 goals, 37 points) - Minnesota couldn't avoid giving up talent, but in retrospect they probably should've exposed Neiderreiter and Brodin. They protected Jason Pominville, who they traded to Buffalo. I don't think Vegas would've taken Ennis or Bad Foligno from Minny.
James Neal (25 goals) - Nashville had to protect 4D, and opted to protect 25-year-old Calle Jarnkrok - coming off a career-high 31-point season - instead of Neal, who had one year left on his contract. They also wanted to clear Neal's cap hit, so they could replace the 25-goal scorer with 25-point scorer Nick Bonino.

If these teams weren't dumb, Vegas would've ended up with:
Alex Petrovic (2 goals, 13 points)
Jonas Brodin (21 points, 45.6 CF%)
Ryan Reaves (who they got almost free anyway)
William Karlsson or Josh Anderson (19 goals, 30 points)
James Neal or Calle Jarnkrok (16 goals, 35 points)

Wild Bill had a massive breakout year, Neal is a UFA this summer, Brodin is a good #4, Petrovic is pretty suited to the third pairing, and Reaves is a healthy scratch most of the time.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
To quote the Legendary Derek Sutton,

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Going to be forced to watch tonights funeral. Ugh

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The only hope I have is that last year Tampa was up 3-2 on the Pens when they poo poo the bed.

Unfortunately we aren’t the Pens...

:suicide:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Cartoon Man posted:

The only hope I have is that last year Tampa was up 3-2 on the Pens when they poo poo the bed.

Unfortunately we aren’t the Pens...

:suicide:

Also that was 2 years ago

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Also that was 2 years ago

I blacked out everything hockey last year when the Caps lost game seven. I thought I remembered what I posted.

After tonight I’ll probably forget who the Vegas golden retrievers are.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Mind_Taker posted:

Agreed. I think more people would have been upset it they had not protected those forwards. I think they made the right call - when you have a bunch of guys you don't want to lose, protect as many as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Kawalimus posted:

Going to be forced to watch tonights funeral. Ugh

They probably win tonight just because Caps=Game7

• Locked thread