Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I started watching the Blu-Rays. God drat, they really do look better than the Showtime stream did.

It's loving wild how Lynch managed to (for the most part) give this thing the cinematic feel of something he would've done in the 90s. It looks gorgeous but it doesn't look new, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I really miss not having Twin Peaks to watch.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Baloogan posted:

I really miss not having Twin Peaks to watch.
time and time again

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I started watching the Blu-Rays. God drat, they really do look better than the Showtime stream did.

It's loving wild how Lynch managed to (for the most part) give this thing the cinematic feel of something he would've done in the 90s. It looks gorgeous but it doesn't look new, if that makes sense.

It’s very light on the CGI, opts for more practical effects, and doesn’t fall victim to the super aggressive editing that seems to represent a lot of modern TV. Lynch operates exactly the way he would have 20 years ago, and his near-meditative direction style is absolutely timeless.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gotta say, after rewatching the first 2 episodes, it's very evident that things are very wrong with this timeline from the get go. Just things that I may not have noticed on my first viewing.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
examplesss

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I YouTubed "Twin Peaks one year later" because I could swear there would be at least a few hour-long video essays or whatever, but I could only find 2 ~12 minute long videos and they both sucked. I guess they could've been good had they been presented differently, but the presentation turned me off at least.

I'm disappointed there isn't more out there :smith:

I’m waiting for Jay from RedLetterMedia to do a review. He said he would eventually after letting it sit in his mind for awhile.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Baloogan posted:

examplesss
The disappearance of the security guard outside the glass box, the mysterious 4th Renault brother bartending at the Roadhouse despite it being established in season 2 that there were only 3 of them, the woodsman in the jail with Bill Hastings, Mr. C talking to a fake Philip Jeffries on the phone, etc.

Some of these are things I noticed in my first viewing or when I rewatched season 3 the first time (last year), but only after seeing the whole thing and sitting on it for a while does it become clear that season 3 is probably not occurring in the same timeline as seasons 1 and 2. The evidence piles up as the season goes along, of course, with stuff like Audrey's whole subplot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kyle MacLachlan's physical comedy as Dougie in this season is staggering, holy poo poo. This is my third time watching this season and I'm still laughing my rear end off at some of the stuff Dougie does.

Also Ike The Spike getting sad over his bent ice pick after he brutally murders an entire office full of people is the funniest godddamn thing to me :lol:

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 22, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

And More posted:

What happened to all the digital versions of their albums, btw. They used to be available on this website for a buck each, but I guess they were removed.
Wow, not just the MP3s, but also most of the CDs, shirts (most out of stock anyway), and what feels like half the remaining catalogue. Kinda sucks if that's the new permanent way, but maybe they're just reworking stuff. It's not the best store frontend in the world.

They do put out some quality stuff though. Ordered some LPs recently, shipping was horrendously expensive but they run a tight ship, the records arrived timely and the packaging is high quality and of course the music's fantastic.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Wow, not just the MP3s, but also most of the CDs, shirts (most out of stock anyway), and what feels like half the remaining catalogue. Kinda sucks if that's the new permanent way, but maybe they're just reworking stuff. It's not the best store frontend in the world.

They do put out some quality stuff though. Ordered some LPs recently, shipping was horrendously expensive but they run a tight ship, the records arrived timely and the packaging is high quality and of course the music's fantastic.

Yeah, their site isn't perfect, but they seem to put a lot of effort into it, regardless. I had some trouble receiving the digital version, and a member of the band helped me out right away, apparently while still on a flight.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

They definitely do, I always got some free prints with my orders and back when I ordered a t-shirt they even threw in two free CDs. Not just promo stuff either, one was a full Glass Candy album.

... I hope they didn't just mix up my order. :ohdear:

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

They definitely do, I always got some free prints with my orders and back when I ordered a t-shirt they even threw in two free CDs. Not just promo stuff either, one was a full Glass Candy album.

... I hope they didn't just mix up my order. :ohdear:

Yeah, they fill their packages to the max weight before a shipping price increase. I once ordered a 12" single from them and got two free LPs. They're solid folks and I know a goon in NMD's vinyl thread got a handwritten thank-you letter with a package. Hopefully some of you will get their Laura Palmer poster with your orders.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The disappearance of the security guard outside the glass box, the mysterious 4th Renault brother bartending at the Roadhouse despite it being established in season 2 that there were only 3 of them, the woodsman in the jail with Bill Hastings, Mr. C talking to a fake Philip Jeffries on the phone, etc.

Some of these are things I noticed in my first viewing or when I rewatched season 3 the first time (last year), but only after seeing the whole thing and sitting on it for a while does it become clear that season 3 is probably not occurring in the same timeline as seasons 1 and 2. The evidence piles up as the season goes along, of course, with stuff like Audrey's whole subplot.

seems more like reality just isnt real

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I just bought an MP3 of Digital Rain last week and that's already vanished from the site. Not sure what's going on at the moment but maybe they're just reworking things?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...I just finished watching The Return for the 3rd time and I STILL have questions about the finale :lol:

I really need to get around to buying/reading The Final Dossier one of these days. Like, I have my own theories about what happened, obviously, but I want definitive canonical answers about what happened. There are SO MANY THINGS that happen in the final 2 episodes that it's too goddamn much to unpack. I think I have the basics down, but I can only do so much speculating before I drive myself insane thinking about it :sweatdrop:

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
The Final Dossier is pretty good. It's a short read, it's got some funny bits and some poignant bits. I was worried it was going to diminish the nightmarish mystery of how S3 ends by over-explaining everything, but it's the rare bit of side material for a show that adds to it instead and probably enriches a rewatch by adding just enough tantalizing detail. I think it's definitely worth your time.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Just last night I finished Twin Peaks. I started a few months back and had been working through it slowly. I'm confused as hell but in a way that I like. Still trying to figure out my feelings, I feel like I'm on drugs.

But I will at least say that at first I wasn't happy about how S3 felt so different than S1+2, looking back on it, the contrast is really interesting. The original two seasons is about a charming small town being invaded by supernatural forces. S3 comes off as more of a bigger war against the malevolent spirits.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

DoubleCakes posted:

Just last night I finished Twin Peaks. I started a few months back and had been working through it slowly. I'm confused as hell but in a way that I like. Still trying to figure out my feelings, I feel like I'm on drugs.

But I will at least say that at first I wasn't happy about how S3 felt so different than S1+2, looking back on it, the contrast is really interesting. The original two seasons is about a charming small town being invaded by supernatural forces. S3 comes off as more of a bigger war against the malevolent spirits.

Did you watch Fire Walk With Me? It got a lot of flak at the time but I think the reasons people were upset then are the same reasons it makes for a good intermediary between the S1-2 and the Return now, i.e. Lynch experiments with the tone and expands / redirects the story, instead of wrapping up the original TV run.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If you watch Fire Walk With Me for the first time nowadays, make sure you find/watch the Q2 fan edit. It's 3 hours long, but it provides more context to the movie/the series as a whole than the theatrical version did (because The Missing Pieces are edited in).

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Oh I just watched the regular version. I was very confused by it with the strange appearance of Phillip Jeffries and Chester Desmond, characters that are there and then just.... gone.

Also what the hell was up with that dancing lady? That was the stupidest poo poo, I mean drat

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DoubleCakes posted:

characters that are there and then just.... gone.
This happens all throughout season 3 too :roflolmao:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

DoubleCakes posted:

Also what the hell was up with that dancing lady? That was the stupidest poo poo, I mean drat
It is very explicitly explained :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, the final disc of the season 3 Blu-Ray set has a 5 hour behind the scenes documentary :aaaaa: I had no idea there was this much of this stuff on here.

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME THIS

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I always struggle with FWWM and Missing Pieces because the voices are so low. I can't hear poo poo.

The new Blu-ray had subtitles for the film but not MP.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Holy poo poo, the final disc of the season 3 Blu-Ray set has a 5 hour behind the scenes documentary :aaaaa: I had no idea there was this much of this stuff on here.

Don’t get too excited. At least two hours of those are fake Werner Herzog waxing poetic.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

Don’t get too excited. At least two hours of those are fake Werner Herzog waxing poetic.
I'm like 2 hours into it and I've just been fast-forwarding past all that haha

I'm really enjoying seeing Lynch direct all these different scenes and have fun with the actors before/between takes, though!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I only watched FWWM last year and instantly fell in love with it as one of my favorite movies. Still baffled by the fact that so many people hate it. I found every scene fascinating.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80eMhhWnWbk

My hero :allears:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I remember talking about it a lot in here when I got my copy. Especially the annoying Jason S narration.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

The instant “nonononono” when he looks over is just too perfect. They’ve clearly stepped on that landmine before.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

And More posted:

More like 15 minutes. Yes, that stuff is obnoxious, but it's also just a tiny portion of the whole deal.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Aaaahahahahah that is so perfect. That was my exact reaction when I saw the sweeping scene air and all the complaints rolled in and that might be literally what I said verbally in response to the replies - "What.. what is this everybody WHAT IS THIS? Why? I-I'm SERIOUS. Who gives a fuckin' poo poo how long a scene is?! Just enjoy Green Onions and contemplate the loving moment, it's part of the moving painting!!"

Anyway I just.. it's so silly and weird to me I'm glad people have mellowed a lot about the long scenes in general.

It's funny it reminds me of a random Star Wars episode I was watching. Geordi walks in on Data in his quarters staring at a blank screen in silence, and asks him what he's doing. Data replies that he's reading poetry, to which Geordi retorts that there is nothing on the screen. Data explains that this is not technically true, as the blank space and silent, empty time have a distinct contextual meaning all their own. He explains that a particular culture he is studying writes poetry with such lacunae - blank and empty spacing, some lasting hours or days.

I would say that Lynch is masterful at using both deceptively 'empty' spaces absent of engaging visuals or exposition or a clear point. But it never means there is NO point. Because even within proper context, simply empty space and silent time can have significant and profound meaning, in my own estimation.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

If you watch Fire Walk With Me for the first time nowadays, make sure you find/watch the Q2 fan edit. It's 3 hours long, but it provides more context to the movie/the series as a whole than the theatrical version did (because The Missing Pieces are edited in).

Don't do this, it's a stupid idea and fundamentally dismissive of the tone and presentation of the original work. Worse than watching the movie on your loving telephone.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it probably works better to watch the original movie and then watch the Missing Pieces afterwards, but I’ve never actually seen the cut with them added in.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Your Parents posted:

Don't do this, it's a stupid idea and fundamentally dismissive of the tone and presentation of the original work. Worse than watching the movie on your loving telephone.

Watching the edit isn't a stupid idea but I wouldn't suggest watching it before watching the proper cut of the film first.

It's the work of a fan obsessive for other fan obsessives. An obsessive fan is going to mentally stitch The Missing Pieces together with the original film anyway, so why not? Of course, some of the Missing Pieces are ... missing other pieces ... but that's OK on a rewatch for a fan who just wants MORE regardless.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Yeah, I wouldn't really recommend the fanedit to be your first watch either, but I still like it. It turns the movie from a horror movie into something that feels very similar in tone to the original series' best episodes. But it does change the tone and pacing dramatically, which is really not how your first experience should be.

So yes, you should rather watch the original cut and then The Missing Pieces. And then, if you fancy a rewatch sooner or later, then the Q2 fanedit is not a bad choice.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

make sure you watch Blue Velvet with the deleted scene of the dog eating dog food on stage at the comedy club edited in

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've watched the move thrice, first time was theatrical and second and third was fan edit. Definitely preferred the fan edit.

What's funny is that Lynch was forced to remove those scenes from the studio because it was too long, so saying that the theatrical version is some "definitive" version is guff.

And I watched it on my loving phone the third time. You try watching this movie alone in the middle of the woods at 10pm, I dare you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure lynch himself has said that the theatrical version is definitive and he wouldn't re-edit it even if he could, though I don't have a source for that right now. I think he said it in relation to season 3 so it's a recent stance and not necessarily how he felt when the film was released