Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That sort of cash should get you a Ribbon (Sonus) SBC 1000. RRP in £ is around 3k and you know the sorts of discounts anything like this attracts just for asking.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Holy loving yes

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

Can't wait for somebody to break all the policies and then try to fix it running commands you can't run yet in Powershell...

orange sky
May 7, 2007

How painful is it going to be to manage macOS in SCCM if I've never done it before? A client is asking for it and the first search I did turned up "PKI" so I almost threw up

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

orange sky posted:

How painful is it going to be to manage macOS in SCCM if I've never done it before? A client is asking for it and the first search I did turned up "PKI" so I almost threw up

Not worth it unless you have another product that ties into it and makes it meaningful.

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

orange sky posted:

What you need good sir/mam is a Fog Server

orange sky
May 7, 2007

They wanted to do update management but SCCM doesn't do that without Parallels anyway so I'm probably just gonna suggest enrolling in Intune, won't do poo poo as well but at least they have a list of devices.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

orange sky posted:

They wanted to do update management but SCCM doesn't do that without Parallels anyway so I'm probably just gonna suggest enrolling in Intune, won't do poo poo as well but at least they have a list of devices.

I think the preferred Microsoft route these days is to just use JAMF and do the integration with that for SCCM/Intune, they announced a big partnership thing last Ignite.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jesus just use Jamf.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I have a situation which has upset me and yet I have reached the end of my troubleshooting abilities.

Situation is like this. Hotel network. At 9PM every night the entire network (that I built) goes insane. My main Mikrotik router starts telling me that 5 network (Access Point) cables are being unplugged /losing connection and this happens for 5-10 minutes after which everything goes back online as if nothing happens.

These cables are direct links with PoE to Access Points, so there should be nothing else in the way to cause issues. Still this happens every night at 9PM.

Has anyone seen anything like this before. Any ideas WTF to look at? My instinct is to look for EM interference from something happening at 9PM.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

redeyes posted:

I have a situation which has upset me and yet I have reached the end of my troubleshooting abilities.

Situation is like this. Hotel network. At 9PM every night the entire network (that I built) goes insane. My main Mikrotik router starts telling me that 5 network (Access Point) cables are being unplugged /losing connection and this happens for 5-10 minutes after which everything goes back online as if nothing happens.

These cables are direct links with PoE to Access Points, so there should be nothing else in the way to cause issues. Still this happens every night at 9PM.

Has anyone seen anything like this before. Any ideas WTF to look at? My instinct is to look for EM interference from something happening at 9PM.

Is it 9PM on the dot every night? If it is exactly that I would think that something is going on with the APs (pulling updates or something like that), if it varies it's probably something someone is doing like turning something off, turning something on, or plugging a vacuum into a UPS.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MF_James posted:

Is it 9PM on the dot every night? If it is exactly that I would think that something is going on with the APs (pulling updates or something like that), if it varies it's probably something someone is doing like turning something off, turning something on, or plugging a vacuum into a UPS.

Yep 9PM on the dot. My APs are set to pull updates at like 3AM in the morning, but also this is knocking my entire network offline, I have security cameras that lose footage for those 5-10 minutes but continue as if nothing happens.

I got kind of weirded out by the whole thing so I pointed a security camera at my network rack. Absolutely no one is loving with the stuff at that time. My current theory is their sprinkler system might be doing it since it triggers around that time.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

redeyes posted:

Yep 9PM on the dot. My APs are set to pull updates at like 3AM in the morning, but also this is knocking my entire network offline, I have security cameras that lose footage for those 5-10 minutes but continue as if nothing happens.

I got kind of weirded out by the whole thing so I pointed a security camera at my network rack. Absolutely no one is loving with the stuff at that time. My current theory is their sprinkler system might be doing it since it triggers around that time.

Ohh I read your initial info wrong; are all of the devices supposedly losing connection POE devices, or do non-POE devices lose connection too?
I assume your router doesn't report losing power/rebooting during this time?

Do the mikrotik routers have POE ports, or is there a POE switch behind it? Are there any logs you can pull about spikes/dips in power?
Is there a UPS that the router is plugged into? If not, it might be beneficial to plug it into one and see if the problem still happens.

Could be something drawing a bunch of juice and that causes whatever is doing POE to not have enough to power everything.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The mikrotik router has 10 Gigabit ports. Only ports 6-10 are losing connection according to the router logs. I need to recheck but i *think* those cables go into the floor and then out to APs (direct burial). So like I said, I turned a video camera at my rack and let it record for a day. Its network cable is right inside the server room and is only 7 feet long but still, it starts cutting out too. Right at 9PM the actual video footage starts skipping and cuts out but the DVR is still recording as per time stamps. At this time, ports 6-10 start reporting disconnections and reconnections within say 10 seconds over and over for about 5-10 minutes. I also have remote access connection to the property and noticed THAT dropped right at the same time. That remote connection is on a Windows 2012 Server wired directly into the router.

So the POE APs are showing disconnections but the entire network is freaking out too, so I think they are part of the same problem.

I have a gigantic APC UPS running the network rack and the PoE injectors (ubiquiti gigabit units). Besides that, I called and confirmed there were no power issues at 9PM the entire week. I bet the APC has power logs somewhere. It's a decent idea to retrieve those and check it but I have no evidence that it is a power issue yet.

[edit] just had a thought, if the APC UPS is not a pure sine wave unit, could this contribute to the problem? I have had simulated sine ups's do WEIRD stuff to equipment before.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 22, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

redeyes posted:

I bet the APC has power logs somewhere. It's a decent idea to retrieve those and check it but I have no evidence that it is a power issue yet.

Sorry, but your description of the problem screams power issue to me.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sounds like a textbook haunting to me.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Weedle posted:

Sounds like a textbook haunting to me.

The ground below the network rack is an Indian burial ground.

[edit] not even a joke! this is right on the edge of a Native American Pueblo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If each router interface is routed and not switched you can rule out spanning tree weirdness.

If your UPS isn’t a double-conversion unit then it’s not isolated from the mains input.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Pretty much every UPS made in the last decade is able to transfer within a half-sine disruption which is well within the capacity for a PSU to ride out. We did have a similar issue where the the UPS was doing a self-test where it cut itself off from line power and did a partial discharge on battery to make sure it was still able to supply power at the rated capacity. Maybe its doing that and failing/drooping voltage and there isn't monitoring set up to alert on it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So we have basic Teams -> PSTN calling working fine. My SBC guy needs to spend a bit more time on call routes, once you force him to slow down and break things down logically then he can probably figure it out.

For what it's worth, if you call the PSTN number of another user in your tenant then it realises and just routes it internally, it doesn't dump out to PSTN to come back in again. There's slightly more delay than we get on a SIP call with the server hosted remotely (e.g. call flow going as SIP from our office to a data centre and then back to our office), presumably because the media processor adds a bit of latency. I expect media bypass will fix this.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

Sorry, but your description of the problem screams power issue to me.

Me too. They are using an APC Pro UPS 1500 with the 1500va extra battery. Simulated sine wave. I just bypassed it entirely for the whole rack since that's all I have at my disposal at the moment. I will know by 9PM tonight if it helps.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Pretty much every UPS made in the last decade is able to transfer within a half-sine disruption which is well within the capacity for a PSU to ride out. We did have a similar issue where the the UPS was doing a self-test where it cut itself off from line power and did a partial discharge on battery to make sure it was still able to supply power at the rated capacity. Maybe its doing that and failing/drooping voltage and there isn't monitoring set up to alert on it?

This could be. I didn't have time to figure that out yet but I do know specifically every piece of equipment in that rack specifically says NO on simulated sine wave consumer type stuff. I don't really care to use the APC if just bypassing it works. Its easy to justify the money spent when I have proof the thing isn't working for their setup.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 22, 2018

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
I have a CSV based on a three-way mirror using storage spaces direct. These three physical servers also need to host HA HyperV guests. When configuring the hosts to point to the VHDX files, can I use C:\ClusterStorage\file.vhdx, or do I need to have a SoFS and reference them \\cluser\share\file.vhdx?

I only ask because during a migration, one physical server went down (!!!) and the migration (on another server) failed when referencing C:\ClusterStorage. This strikes me as odd, as I would have predicted the three-way mirror meant that the migration should continue regardless of if one node goes down?

Cheers

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
For some reason my SCCM task sequence for Windows 10 deployment wont set the local administrator password? Any ideas? This is a blank Windows 10 image pulled from the 1709 VLSC ISO.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Have you hosed around with unattend.xml ever?

Search for net user Administrator or AdministratorPassword.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Will there ever be a window 10 release that doesn't completely gently caress up the group policy objects?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Holy poo poo you can finally login to VLSC with an Azure AD account.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

incoherent posted:

Will there ever be a window 10 release that doesn't completely gently caress up the group policy objects?

I mean, policy is rev'd so it will only apply to an OS it supports. So you need to update the templates on your sysvol before you start rolling clients or you're bound to have problems. This is standard operational stuff.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I understand that, but the bush league poo poo that gets past even the laziest of "devop"

The GPO isn't even updated for a newer OS so it boggles how it could ship like that.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

We are having terrible problems with session based RDS on Server 2016. The gateway service sometimes stops on its own. Once the SQL server for connection broker HA blew itself up. Most frequently, though, within hours or days of a new deployment, the session hosts will simply stop successfully accepting connections. The CB passes off the connection, the SH says "yup, this user logged in" and then like 3 seconds later, the SH says "this user initiated a logout". From the user standpoint, the login doesn't even finish before the logout process starts.

It's worth mentioning, though, that mstsc /admin connections still work. It has something to do with the handoff from the CB.

This problem has persisted through multiple builds and multiple configurations and multiple different source templates for cloning.

What the hell should I do?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

How's the license server? I believe /admin isn't counted against the licenses. Have you tried lowering the security on the connection to test?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Anything in the logs on the DC clients auth against? Any reverse proxies that might be relevant?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

incoherent posted:

How's the license server? I believe /admin isn't counted against the licenses. Have you tried lowering the security on the connection to test?

I'm a Citrix guy and I never really worked too closely with plain old RDS farms, but yeah, that sounds exactly like a licensing issue to me. Alternatively, if you are by chance using a different account when you are testing with /admin is it possible there is a profile management solution in place that is bombing out?

Those are the only two times I've seen login/logouts in rapid succession like that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Thanks Ants posted:

Holy poo poo you can finally login to VLSC with an Azure AD account.

Source?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Holy poo poo, only 15 more websites to go!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I found that ^ and this https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/rds-email-discovery today and I'm massively late to the RemoteApp bandwagon but it works really well.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Still seems like a function that was SHOVED into VLSC without grace. But I am happy none the less.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Anyone know how the gently caress do I get Microsoft Edge to work with internal DNS intranet sites?

I've been googling and it appears to be the app container security or some loopback thing?

I made a GPO to run a script that does:
code:
CheckNetIsolation LoopbackExempt -a -n="Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe"
But it still doesn't seem to change anything.

Source: https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSPH29_9.0.3/com.ibm.help.common.infocenter.aps/r_LoopbackForEdge.html

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That shouldn't stop you from accessing sites like https://internalresource/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Are you sure it's not a DNS problem?

We have some users that use edge and internal stuff works just fine.