Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

PT6A posted:

But in terms of AC vent direction, why have it controlled by anything on the dash? In every car I've ever seen, you just sort of... grab them and move the things that direct air to wherever you want them. Surely having those things controlled by some kind of computer system adds unnecessary expense, and for no benefit.
The more I learn about Elon Musk, the more I believe he just fundamentally hates anything that he didn't have a hand in making. I think they created this touchscreen system because Musk wanted to say he personally did it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

T.C. posted:

Wait... What receipts does she think will prove that no antiunion behavior is happening?

I think she means that she has receipts to prove she visited the factories? I still love the idea that she could visit a factory and determine if there were anti union activities going on. I guess as long as she didn't see people getting shot by Pinkertons she can conclude no anti-union activity occurs? Even if she actually interviewed a bunch of workers, what worker contemplating unionizing would tell their anti-employee boss' girlfriend about any of it?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Cicero posted:

They're both bad because nothing should ever change.

They actually both are kind of bad, at least when taken in a vacuum. Creating a single higher paying job at the expense of a lot of lower paying (and presumably lower skill and more accessible) jobs is potentially pretty bad for the economy, at least over the short term. That's especially true if you're automating things in a way that disproportionately affects certain regions because a particular industry is centered there.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

Most of them?

If you can flow chart it you can probably automate it at some point, at some cost (which might be prohibitive).

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

There are actually three government agencies that could really benefit from AI help when I think about it. Immigration, the IRS and Social Security.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Paradoxish posted:

They actually both are kind of bad, at least when taken in a vacuum. Creating a single higher paying job at the expense of a lot of lower paying (and presumably lower skill and more accessible) jobs is potentially pretty bad for the economy, at least over the short term. That's especially true if you're automating things in a way that disproportionately affects certain regions because a particular industry is centered there.

With Basic Income, you can innovate all you want.

Basically the Robots are paying people, when you drill down on this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

T.C. posted:

Wait... What receipts does she think will prove that no antiunion behavior is happening?

This is a classic anti-union trick where they ignore all the actual evidence of anti-union behavior and instead focus completely on “did the employer physically restrain employees from engaging in unionizing.”

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Futuresight posted:

It's good to know you trust capitalism to deliver worker pay commensurate to how that work is valued by society.

Society doesn't value work. That is the point.

Not really sure how you came up with your bizarre strawman argument.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think that the Tesla braking review is going to have consequences beyond people thinking "safety first". Sports cars are always advertised whipping around hairpin turns in the mountains. If a car is known to have unreliable brakes, that fantasy is stone dead.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Raldikuk posted:

I still love the idea that she could visit a factory and determine if there were anti union activities going on.

Obviously never left the house. Stalling on Twitter is real easy since you can just wait 10 minutes until the public loses interest.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/matt_cagle/status/998932058914328576?s=21

https://twitter.com/matt_cagle/status/998932063209304064?s=21

https://twitter.com/matt_cagle/status/998932066287931392?s=21

Just lol if you're voluntarily bugging your house with an Amazon Echo or Spot (the bedside alarm clock with a camera in it) or the Look (the camera that watches you get dressed to "catalogue your wardrobe") or the Cloud Cam (that lets Amazon open your front door) on top of this poo poo

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think that the Tesla braking review is going to have consequences beyond people thinking "safety first". Sports cars are always advertised whipping around hairpin turns in the mountains. If a car is known to have unreliable brakes, that fantasy is stone dead.
I doubt it, it's probably just an ABS issue that happens under some specific circumstances, otherwise it would've been noticed before. That's not good obviously, but it's not the first time this happens.

Well that's pretty much an inevitable application of the technology. Facial recognition is a very basic feature now and even if they didn't have Rekognition, anyone could just run something similar themselves on EC2. The real question is whether law enforcement should be using this in the first place, and as much as I don't like it, I think you'll have a hard time arguing that they should not. It's being tested in the UK now too and although the headlines recently tried to make it sound as bad as possible (e.g.), it's probably an extremely useful tool overall

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Maybe but Tesla investors are more willing than most to overlook serious problems. It'll likely be a long slow hike into disillusionment as financial reality sets.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

LAPD considers every single person in LA a suspect at all times. This is their current justification for the way they handle ALPR data.

So remember that when considering how US police use mass surveillance and pinky promise they'll only use it on the baddies.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Did we talk about how Elongated Muskrat admitted Tesla would go bankrupt if they tried selling the Model 3 at the base price:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/998400110156550144

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I doubt it, it's probably just an ABS issue that happens under some specific circumstances, otherwise it would've been noticed before. That's not good obviously, but it's not the first time this happens.

Well that's pretty much an inevitable application of the technology. Facial recognition is a very basic feature now and even if they didn't have Rekognition, anyone could just run something similar themselves on EC2. The real question is whether law enforcement should be using this in the first place, and as much as I don't like it, I think you'll have a hard time arguing that they should not. It's being tested in the UK now too and although the headlines recently tried to make it sound as bad as possible (e.g.), it's probably an extremely useful tool overall

Yeah I guess it's too much to ask for tech companies to have the bare minimum of ethical awareness required to avoid eagerly handing over sophisticated surveillance technology to authoritarian organizations who will certainly abuse it.

You don't actually believe this stuff is used solely to track criminals and terrorists, do you?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Trabisnikof posted:

Did we talk about how Elongated Muskrat admitted Tesla would go bankrupt if they tried selling the Model 3 at the base price:

:allears: Love it when he magnanimously deigns to share details about how production is done.

mobby_6kl posted:

Or, alternatively, Ol' Musky asked the ME team to spec out options for brake pads, picked the absolute poo poo-tier option assuming regenerative braking software would be perfect, and these tiny brake pads immediately glaze over and permanently lose functionality if a H-bridge is so much as 1 cycle slow.

"OTA updates will save us!!" doesn't account for "the hardware we shipped is fundamentally underspecced."

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

No no, it is the unions that pit management against the workers.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/998987396870950912

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

JawnV6 posted:

"OTA updates will save us!!" doesn't account for "the hardware we shipped is fundamentally underspecced."

Remember when someone reported a whole bunch of S's were getting surreptitiously recalled to repair suspension ball joints that failed? I bet all tech bros were like BUT THIS HAPPENS TO ALL CARS

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
You guys know Grimes' mom is on twitter right? She's a prominent social activist in Vancouver, Canada.

https://twitter.com/Garossino?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Why would we assume this? From the report it is pretty clear that there are times that it can brake within a reasonable distance, but once you average them out it is terrible. What is more likely is Tesla underspecced poo poo, did a bunch of braking tests and picked the best number.

Even if it were an ABS issue, it isn't a fluke "under some specific circumstances" as the report details. It simply has lovely braking distance. If Tesla actually put the car through the ringer to test it and it was a software issue, it should have never been released.

Why should we give Tesla the benefit of the doubt when their response to comment was that they probably tested wrong and also OTA updates give them an edge for fixing such issues?

duz posted:

No no, it is the unions that pit management against the workers.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/998987396870950912

If he hates managing so much why doesn't he retire? Surely has has enough liquid capital to live comfortably for the rest of his life. And hell, he can even work on the floor I bet if he wanted (he doesn't). I would also love to see the UAW contracts that stipulate that workers cannot have stock options.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Remember when Top Gear flogged the Tesla and Elon Musk threatened to sue (or possibly did sue?) them, and everyone said "oh lol, Jeremy Clarkson is just a cantankerous English racist*, the Tesla is probably a fine car!" Maybe they were onto something, and pushing a car to its limits helps to find its weaknesses more than simply evaluating it through normal driving

* true, but beside the point

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/moonpolysoft/status/998989689603346432?s=21

lol jesus christ

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

PT6A posted:

Remember when Top Gear flogged the Tesla and Elon Musk threatened to sue (or possibly did sue?) them, and everyone said "oh lol, Jeremy Clarkson is just a cantankerous English racist*, the Tesla is probably a fine car!" Maybe they were onto something, and pushing a car to its limits helps to find its weaknesses more than simply evaluating it through normal driving

* true, but beside the point

I mean, they also "tested" the Prius by driving it as fast as it could go around a track and following at the same speed with a BMW M3, and then showing that the M3 got better MPG. Which is probably true, for that case, but utterly irrelevant in any real-world driving situation.

And in the "Juicero sounds like such a great idea, let's steal the name" category, the TasteTro:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/tastetro-spice-system-vegan#/

With, yes, RFID secured spice bottles.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Trabisnikof posted:

I get the feeling that the base Model 3 has been a lie all along, only meant to garner good publicity and vc capital.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SardonicTyrant posted:

I get the feeling that the base Model 3 has been a lie all along, only meant to garner good publicity and vc capital.

I really wish people would stop acting like everything is venture capital. Tesla hasn't received venture capital in nearly 9 years, because it went public about that long ago.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah Tesla doesn't get VC money anymore they get government subsidies, even bigger money than VC.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

T.C. posted:

There actually is a union, and Grimes is its leader.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

T.C. posted:

It’s an idiomatic expression for young people, it means they have proof

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

It probably isn't a lie and Musk is being pretty honest in his tweet there. They need to sell the fully loaded expensive version to pay for the tooling and learning curve and if they can actually reach the production rate they've said then they can start doing the lower end models.

If there is a lie it is that they'll actually ever reach those production levels. With the money they've had access to they should have been able to but it turns out Musk is bad at what he hates doing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raldikuk posted:

It probably isn't a lie and Musk is being pretty honest in his tweet there. They need to sell the fully loaded expensive version to pay for the tooling and learning curve and if they can actually reach the production rate they've said then they can start doing the lower end models.

If there is a lie it is that they'll actually ever reach those production levels. With the money they've had access to they should have been able to but it turns out Musk is bad at what he hates doing.

Yeah the lie was that’d you be able to get the Model 3 at the base price and also get the federal tax rebate:

“Back when the Model 3 was introduced” posted:

Tonight, Elon Musk unveils the Model 3, Tesla Motors' long-awaited, affordable sedan.

Musk has already shared the car's key attributes: A 200-mile range and a $35,000 price that will drop to $27,500 or less after tax credits kick in. Tesla has long promised to change the world, and this is the car designed to bring electric vehicles to the masses and save humanity from climate catastrophe.

Since the rebate phases out based on number of cars sold, they’ve known for a long while they’d only be willing to sell the base price model after the rebate ends.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/liamstack/status/999041312056856577

Link in case the tweet is gone for some reason

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Raldikuk posted:

If he hates managing so much why doesn't he retire? Surely has has enough liquid capital to live comfortably for the rest of his life. And hell, he can even work on the floor I bet if he wanted (he doesn't). I would also love to see the UAW contracts that stipulate that workers cannot have stock options.

The fun part about his whining is the implication that people care about the act of managing and not, you know, the fact that supervisory positions are generally compensated way better while also being physically less demanding and far more flexible. It's almost as if that's why the primary conflicts between labor and management are over benefits, pay, and hours and not "someday we get to be managers!"

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

pospysyl posted:

There actually is a union, and Grimes is its leader.
She’s the Queen Bean, and all the other beans must serve her

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Bad blood the book about theranos is good. How anyone thought that Holmes was actually smart and worthwhile is amazing when you start reading on it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Dude is spot-on with his observations; guess the truth hurts.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I don't do church or religion, but if this dude moved here I'd considee going to church.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nm posted:

I don't do church or religion, but if this dude moved here I'd considee going to church.

you can probably find a church that preaches the evil of liberals and social justice near where you are.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Paradoxish posted:

not "someday we get to be managers!"

Also the implication that management and line work are interchangeable roles that people can flex back and forth seamlessly into, much like how that doesn't work in tech where ICs are promoted to management out of loyalty or other reward and they sit content to code all day while their team(s) burn down around them and quit leading to massive turnover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

you can probably find a church that preaches the evil of liberals and social justice near where you are.

Yeah, that definitely sounds like this guy

quote:

Gregory Stevens confirmed on Monday that he had stepped down from the First Baptist church of Palo Alto, an LGBT-inclusive congregation, after his personal tweets calling out the contradictions of wealthy liberals in northern California surfaced at a recent council hearing.

quote:

“I believe Palo Alto is a ghetto of wealth, power, and elitist liberalism by proxy, meaning that many community members claim to want to fight for social justice issues, but that desire doesn’t translate into action,” Stevens wrote, lamenting that it was impossible for low-income people to live in the city. “The insane wealth inequality and the ignorance toward actual social justice is absolutely terrifying.”

quote:

Stevens said he was originally drawn to the church because of its “progressive Baptist theology”, noting historical Baptist figures such as Nat Turner, who led a slave revolt, and Martin Luther King Jr. He said he was also inspired by the local pastor, a gay man who had fought for years to be ordained.