Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The CGI dinosaur is Tina, from The Amazing World of Gumball.

That's part of why the bean head .gif is funny. They throw Gumball in there as a dig when half the show's gimmick is that every family of characters has its own animation style. Tina and her dad are CGI T-Rexes, there's a puppet family, a paper cutout girl, etc.

Gumball is still kind of funny to use as an example because... every traditional 2D character in Gumball is pretty much done in the CN house style.

like, honestly, I'm really not even bothered by this, I find the style to be aesthetically pleasing as hell 9 times out of 10, it's just kind of funny to me that people are trying to argue that every CN show looks totally different from all the rest when... they pretty bluntly have a house style.

and with CN there's even a pretty clear reason for it- except for AT and Regular Show (which just kind of used their creators' styles) and Gumball (which still has an animation staff shared with a lot of the other CN shows even if the creator is fresh blood), pretty much every show they make in-house is run by someone from AT, someone from RS, or someone from a show that someone from AT or RS started (like how Ian Jones-Quartey is a SU veteran) and that style just kind of bled over into their own stuff. like, you can see Rebecca Sugar's own style in SU pretty clearly but it's also noticeably modified to fit the house style better compared to, like, her comics.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Actually Gumball shares very little staff with other CN shows and isn't even made by CN Studios: It's made by Great Marlborough Productions in the UK

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I love dunking on nerds and they really aren't doing it well. trying to argue with them in good faith is a fool's errand

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Actually Gumball shares very little staff with other CN shows and isn't even made by CN Studios: It's made by Great Marlborough Productions in the UK

Huh, a quick wiki check told me it was a CN Studios thing and I remembered hearing a lot of AT/RS vets were animating on it, but fair enough.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Wow, it is amazing how much like David Boreanaz that looks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's funny that Gumball is made in the UK because it feels very American. If I didn't know ahead of time I'd have never guessed it was a UK show

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macaluso posted:

It's funny that Gumball is made in the UK because it feels very American. If I didn't know ahead of time I'd have never guessed it was a UK show

I've mentioned this before somewhere in the forums (maybe even this thread!) but it's fun to watch Gumball and try to spot the tells. Things like the "WC" on the bathroom, calling classes "lessons", the voice actors occasionally pronouncing words slightly differently than you'd expect.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Huh, a quick wiki check told me it was a CN Studios thing and I remembered hearing a lot of AT/RS vets were animating on it, but fair enough.

it's got the CN Development Studios Europe branding. A few CN Studios guys did help out on the first season, but that's it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

lelandjs posted:

Man, I have wanted a back-in-high-school goofy animated Buffy show for ages and these character designs are pretty freaking awesome.

One nearly happened! Buffy: The Animated Series had a short pilot made, and scripts were written before it was fell apart. Fox Kids was going to show it, but then Fox Kids dissolved and no other channel wanted to buy it, as it was deemed too adult.

It was going to be set during Season 1 (episode 7.5, so after the Angel reveal) so they could have the Master as the overarching villain. They had virtually all the actors aboard except for SMG, who they were going to replace with the soundalike actress who did the video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnUvZP7-5LM

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The_Doctor posted:

One nearly happened! Buffy: The Animated Series had a short pilot made, and scripts were written before it was fell apart. Fox Kids was going to show it, but then Fox Kids dissolved and no other channel wanted to buy it, as it was deemed too adult.

It was going to be set during Season 1 (episode 7.5, so after the Angel reveal) so they could have the Master as the overarching villain. They had virtually all the actors aboard except for SMG, who they were going to replace with the soundalike actress who did the video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnUvZP7-5LM

Yeah, I know, and it haunts me. They did an issue of a comic book that took place in that universe and it was pretty good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m loving all these animation takes.

https://twitter.com/angusfordays/status/998844541615689729

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
We need a super-deformed Beast Wars parody.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

Re: "CalArts style," I first heard it used on, ugh, John Kricfalusi's blog in the mid aughts, and he definitely didn't use it the way people today are using it today. I can't remember exactly what he was referring to, probably stuff that aped the Disney Renaissance.

Was it shorthand for “work by people who avoided his attempts to seduce them when they were fifteen?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Shitenshi posted:

We need a super-deformed Beast Wars parody.

Only if it's called "Beasties". Otherwise no deal. :colbert:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

https://twitter.com/Calavera145/status/998636523317792769

lol no dude, people can just think the new show looks ugly as sin.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

https://twitter.com/Calavera145/status/998636523317792769

lol no dude, people can just think the new show looks ugly as sin.

It looks good though

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If you want Ugly from WB Animation you need look no further than Loonatix

I can come up with so many aesthetically repellent shows from the last 30-40 years of animation don't even try me

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i get what the tweeter is saying and all, but I feel like denying that a ton of cartoons look samey and descend from a common art style is being willfully obtuse

Though I agree that most nerds are just using it as an excuse to complain about "tumblrization" and whatever other dumb bullshit

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Low Desert Punk posted:

why are animators so poo poo at twitter

I think they're pretty good for the most part. All the mockups of the promotional image with different shows and other gags like that Alex Hirsch tweet from earlier are pretty great. I mean what's being "good at" twitter, just having waves of idiots who don't actually work in the field tell you how to do your job and responding with "gee I guess you're right"?

Low Desert Punk posted:

i get what the tweeter is saying and all, but I feel like denying that a ton of cartoons look samey and descend from a common art style is being willfully obtuse

Though I agree that most nerds are just using it as an excuse to complain about "tumblrization" and whatever other dumb bullshit

Cartoons only look samey if you cherry pick examples or deliberately try to draw them the same like that one picture that takes Dipper Pines, Gumball, and Steven Universe and deliberately draws them off-model so they look similar, also

https://twitter.com/ElfGrove/status/997616125356605440
https://twitter.com/ElfGrove/status/997616129173372928
https://twitter.com/ElfGrove/status/997618332407754752

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I think a point can be made that most of the variation and different styles are seen outside Cartoon Network.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't see much similarity inside CN aside from debatably Steven Universe and Adventure Time, which makes sense since Sugar worked on AT before SU was greenlit.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TwoPair posted:

I don't see much similarity inside CN aside from debatably Steven Universe and Adventure Time, which makes sense since Sugar worked on AT before SU was greenlit.

Over the Garden Wall, Clarence, and OK KO were all also made by AT people and share stylistic similarities. TTG and Gumball also have pretty similar styles to those by more-or-less coincidence.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Honestly TTG's style is more of that thick line Flash style (at most it feels like a hybrid of that and the "Calarts" style, like 90% the former and 10% the latter)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gumball’s main characters also used to look a bit different too. Bigger oval eyes and smaller mouths. The character designs changed because they needed to simplify their animation (Cartoon Network Europe cut their budget). That’s also why the CGI characters have been appearing less—Tina barely shows up at all these days, and Mrs. Simian got a simplified redesign.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

I think a point can be made that most of the variation and different styles are seen outside Cartoon Network.

Yeah I feel like it's kind of dodging the point when people go "CN shows are all starting to look the same? But look at all these shows not on CN!"

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah I feel like it's kind of dodging the point when people go "CN shows are all starting to look the same? But look at all these shows not on CN!"

That's a nuclear burn on Justice League Action...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Yardbomb posted:

Because the discussion on the wider internet isn't limited to CN shows. Plenty of people lump like, Gravity Falls and Star Vs into the "calarts style" meme.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Pakled posted:

Plenty of people lump like, Gravity Falls and Star Vs into the "calarts style" meme.

I mean sure but it's been predominantly about CN the most times I've seen it. :shrug:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Ok regardless what you think of the recent stuff this is kind of hosed up that any sort of criticism can legit get you blacklisted

https://imgur.com/a/TujncDf

I wonder how many black lesbian and trans girl artists will never get a job in the industry because they called Steven Universe racist one too many times.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Ok regardless what you think of the recent stuff this is kind of hosed up that any sort of criticism can legit get you blacklisted

I wonder how many black lesbian and trans girl artists will never get a job in the industry because they called Steven Universe racist one too many times.

Quest For Glory II has gone over this before in some of his posts but yeah this is literally how the animation industry (and any other closed circle business that mostly relies on word-of-mouth for opportunities) has always worked. Never make a joke about Jimmy Neutron ever because it's somebody's baby out there somewhere.

mycot fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 23, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I mean... how is this any different from any other job? If you post poo poo that would make the company you want to work at look bad, on a public forum where anyone can see it, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The fact that being a dumb idiot on the internet can come back to haunt you is a lesson that people have to re-learn again and again. Professionalism's a thing for a reason.

Although it is kinda funny for people to act like people in the industry trying to be nice to each other is a conspiracy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Macaluso posted:

I mean... how is this any different from any other job? If you post poo poo that would make the company you want to work at look bad, on a public forum where anyone can see it, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

I think animation is fundamentally different from most jobs in that it can be thought of as an art, rather than as just a product. Art has to be open to interpretation and criticism. If people who are honest and outspoken about the artistry of the industry are barred from or pushed out of the business, then you're draining enthusiasm and ideas out of the industry. If everyone on the creative side of things is solely thinking of animation as a business rather than an art, you get stuff like Johnny Test.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I don't see how that's "horrifying" at all. The one story linked there is kinda hosed up, where one guy had the same name as some guy nobody liked, but the rest seems perfectly reasonable.

I mean that first post seems to boil down to, "isn't it hosed up that there's no infighting in the industry?" to which I'm like... duh? Like wow, you mean shittalking TV shows while trying to get a job in TV might be a bad idea? Especially in animation, where you might frequently change shows or studios? Color me surprised. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, showbiz is just another job, and burning bridges to potential other jobs is a bad idea, no matter how hot that take or how witty that zinger is that you feel like you've got to put out there.

Pakled posted:

I think animation is fundamentally different from most jobs in that it can be thought of as an art, rather than as just a product. Art has to be open to interpretation and criticism. If people who are honest and outspoken about the artistry of the industry are barred from or pushed out of the business, then you're draining enthusiasm and ideas out of the industry. If everyone on the creative side of things is solely thinking of animation as a business rather than an art, you get stuff like Johnny Test.

There's a difference between honest and outspoken and being an rear end in a top hat. Those posts are, I think, pretty clear about the difference. Yeah, providing critiques is fine, but "dunking on" some show that you feel is beneath you is not a good way to get seen in the industry, or it is a good way to be seen... as an rear end in a top hat no one wants to work with. Much like most other careers, young up-and-comers probably won't end up with their dream job immediately after graduating from The Liberal Hellscape CalArts. I'm sure there are people who worked on Johnny Test who did not care for it and would have rather been working on another show or making their own, but they would not have gotten said job (and therefore a foot in the door) if after their job interview the producers could do a quick google and find a giant screed on Twitter about how much JT sucked rear end.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 23, 2018

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Losing out on jobs because I earned the ire of the people who once worked on Butt-Ugly Martians by saying that it sucked taint seems pretty loving moronic from any point of view, and punishing honesty.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Fellbat posted:

Losing out on jobs because I earned the ire of the people who once worked on Butt-Ugly Martians by saying that it sucked taint seems pretty loving moronic from any point of view, and punishing honesty.

Most jobs don't want you to be honest

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Fair, but I'm imagining having to grit my teeth and smile when somebody tells me they worked on Super Duper Sumos. That's comedy in itself.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Macaluso posted:

And it's stupid and lovely, hence the "This is hosed up" stuff. The original point brought up was "Great, so how many POC and LGBT people will get shut out because they had strong critiques of this or that" even.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 23, 2018

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TwoPair posted:

I think they're pretty good for the most part. All the mockups of the promotional image with different shows and other gags like that Alex Hirsch tweet from earlier are pretty great. I mean what's being "good at" twitter, just having waves of idiots who don't actually work in the field tell you how to do your job and responding with "gee I guess you're right"?

The only way to be good at Twitter is to not use Twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Fellbat posted:

Fair, but I'm imagining having to grit my teeth and smile when somebody tells me they worked on Super Duper Sumos. That's comedy in itself.

But keep in mind, even bad shows represent a tremendous amount of blood and sweat on behalf of the artists working on it. And I'm sure in private, animators are more than frank with each other about the shows they work on-but that's in private, and that's with inside working knowledge of the industry and of the circumstances animators work under. By contrast, when some idiot on twitter goes out in public saying 'gently caress this show it looks like hot garbage,' or 'gently caress this show for not having more representation', that's a direct insult to a lot of people who don't have any control over those circumstances-so is it any surprise that a lot of animators are going to take those insults personally, even when they're not the ones working on those shows?