Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Netflix took down Expanse related stuff today

Now I'm interested :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

I can't help but be cautiously optimistic, but almost every piece of (non-)news can be interpreted both ways... :f5:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I bought all my expanse on google video, no idea what amazon owning it all will mean.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Netflix took down Expanse related stuff today

now im hootin and hollerin

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Netflix pulling The Expanse with no fanfare sounds hopeful that Amazon is getting international streaming. I was ready for the show to be dead but that alone gives me hope. Great now I'm going to be sad if this falls apart.

Baronjutter posted:

I bought all my expanse on google video, no idea what amazon owning it all will mean.

If you already own it from a service, they will keep offering it for download even if it's pulled. They just can't sell to anyone new. I own several things on Steam that are no longer on steam and have no issues downloading them, same with Audible. I don't think I have any on other services that have been pulled.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm in the UK and The Expanse is still on Netflix for me sooo...

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I can't see this mentioned on the subreddit anywhere.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
bezos rumor holden confirmed to act 400% more wooden in s4

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

this corporate fog of war obscuring what's happening is more frustrating than the cloud cover on Venus!

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Okay, worst case scenario: Netflix pull isn't because Amazon is acquiring the rights, the Netflix pull is to convince Alcon not to do chance Amazon renewing and take whatever they can get from Netflix and SyFy.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

Amazon throws around so much money. Their shows like Bosch and Goliath look like normal network shows but the budget is like $80 million. They can do The Expanse right.

They dumped a shitload of money on the Top Gear guys to do a world touring show and they completely wasted it.

Amazon has money to burn.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

double nine posted:

this corporate fog of war obscuring what's happening is more frustrating than the cloud cover on Venus!

What if we cannibalise the parts from one poster, use them to reinforce another poster, and then fire them into Amazon HQ?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Thank you Amazon for saving my dumb gay show

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Okay, worst case scenario: Netflix pull isn't because Amazon is acquiring the rights, the Netflix pull is to convince Alcon not to do chance Amazon renewing and take whatever they can get from Netflix and SyFy.

What does this even mean? How would pulling something from their own service convince Alcon to do anything? Netflix and Syfy both don't want to fund the show.

bloom posted:

They dumped a shitload of money on the Top Gear guys to do a world touring show and they completely wasted it.

Amazon has money to burn.

How did they waste it? TGT is pretty good. It's had a few clunkers, but the trio are still fun to watch. If you're referring to them no longer traveling the world to shoot the studio segments, that was their own idea, not Amazon's. In any case, they are too old to travel the world to film segments as well as studio bits. The traveling tent idea didn't really even make much sense anyway. They'd travel to Germany or wherever, and then show films of them driving cars in Australia. It was too much.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I hope some executive in Syfy is feeling very stupid for letting go of this gem

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Elias_Maluco posted:

Just the opposite, they're feeling amazing about having used the money to commission 3 seasons of Sharknado vs Komodo: Ancient Quest

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Elias_Maluco posted:

They're beating off and slinging cum ropes to drip from the ceiling tiles because they know they are a bundled cable channel and money is going to come in because they're in a package that virtually everyone gets. If they ever get unbundled and become a stand-alone elective, their poo poo is loving toast. Right now they can maintain the status quo from the 90's and cancel whatever and commission whatever because they enjoy a level of protection from being customer censured.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Cojawfee posted:

What does this even mean? How would pulling something from their own service convince Alcon to do anything? Netflix and Syfy both don't want to fund the show.

I don't want to give the wrong impression, I really didn't think it through. I'm just trying to parse how "Netflix Pulls Expanse" as news that show isn't being renewed, because on face value that seems like really promising news. ...as we try to divine the innards of our corporate overlords.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

How did they waste it? TGT is pretty good. It's had a few clunkers, but the trio are still fun to watch. If you're referring to them no longer traveling the world to shoot the studio segments, that was their own idea, not Amazon's. In any case, they are too old to travel the world to film segments as well as studio bits. The traveling tent idea didn't really even make much sense anyway. They'd travel to Germany or wherever, and then show films of them driving cars in Australia. It was too much.

I mean they wasted it because they didn't do anything with the traveling format. Like you said, it was a few crappy local jokes and then footage from halfway across the world. So however much money Amazon spent shipping that tent around the world was wasted.

I think the show's actually a lot better in the second season since they dropped all that nonsense and toned down the forced comedy.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
They had to use the tent format because filming in a studio would infringe on Top Gear.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Just the opposite, they're feeling amazing about having used the money to commission 3 seasons of Sharknado vs Komodo: Ancient Quest

At least Ian Ziering will get some work :unsmith:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Should have just set the tent up in Clarkson's back yard like they did for season 2. I know there was a ton of rights fuckery involved though so maybe it really was necessary. I was just disappointed with the first season because I was hoping it would have more local flavor.

Also now I'm picturing Clarkson juiced to his gills in the Razorback and hollering about POWER!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I would watch The Grand Tour but I loathe Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfqukHJHCiw

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mu Zeta posted:

I would watch The Grand Tour but I loathe Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond

Same, the one who isn't a huge poo poo and likes old trains and stuff is lovely though but doesn't make up for the others.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
EDITED: Here's a big ol' spoiler clip for the new episode.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 23, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm not one to give much of a poo poo about spoilers, but a huge surprise is ruined here.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ava as the Savior in that preview image is a nice touch

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
fuckin leet halo

im p much only watch expanse for space poo poo, amos and avaseralia

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baloogan posted:

fuckin leet halo

im p much only watch expanse for space poo poo, amos and avaseralia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGJKWNHyfSg

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

I'm not one to give much of a poo poo about spoilers, but a huge surprise is ruined here.

yeah, don't watch it.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
A few pages ago we were warned about that preview and how spoilerific it is

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
only linear entities with linear existences care about spoilers, the prophets from ds9 do not

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Heh, the bad audio makes it feel kinda cinematic.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
also im super dissapointed that ava's bodyguard had to die

that actor is one of my favorite 'b' actors

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Am I the only one who was kind of surprised Amos shot him instead of beating him to death? I really expected to see Amos go full ape on that guy.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Me too, but hey, he went out a hero, protecting humanity from the protomolecule. How many spies get to die like that?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I apologize; I missed the post earlier where that was discussed. Had I known, I wouldn't have posted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Baloogan posted:

also im super dissapointed that ava's bodyguard had to die

that actor is one of my favorite 'b' actors

:same: i always liked that actor