Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Also it'll give Anno less of an excuse to put off the last Rebuild movie.

anno is gonna direct a jet jaguar standalone film as the ultimate cocktease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He'll direct a Hollywood Ultraman film for the MonsterVerse.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I didn't exactly want a direct followup to Shin, but I wouldn't have minded if they did more weird one offs instead of trying to directly compete with the Hollywood films.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HannibalBarca posted:

I understand what you're getting at, but it's not like you need to have watched "Mothra" to understand "Destroy All Monsters" (in fact, it might just be unnecessarily confusing)

This is also true of the Marvel films, they've just tricked people into thinking completionism is a necessary component of narrative structure.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

More Godzilla is great to me. Shin was surprisingly amazing. I didn't like it at first but was ruined by some fat gently caress laughing his rear end off at inappropriate times in the movie but on a second and third viewing its amazing. Plus the s/t owns.

Is Vogt-Roberts still attached? He's like best buds with Hideo Kojima right now and either he's helping direct cutscenes for his newest game.... or he's moving to making Metal Gear. Which recently got Hideo's blessing as saying he's the only one who could direct it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
a metal gear solid movie would be incredibly redundant

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I can't be too disappointed since I'm not really sure how you'd do a direct follow-up to Shin Godzilla anyhow. If the monster ever unfreezes its evolutionary path is basically "become God", and of course the nuclear countdown restarts. I'm not sure how you'd avoid it feeling like the same crisis over again.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Maxwell Lord posted:

I can't be too disappointed since I'm not really sure how you'd do a direct follow-up to Shin Godzilla anyhow. If the monster ever unfreezes its evolutionary path is basically "become God", and of course the nuclear countdown restarts. I'm not sure how you'd avoid it feeling like the same crisis over again.

I mean, anno has some ideas on how to do a story about things becoming gods.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Maxwell Lord posted:

Anno has already sorta worked in that space before with EOE, all I can really say is it'd probably be an overload of visual stimuli

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mandatory lesbian posted:

Anno has already sorta worked in that space before with EOE, all I can really say is it'd probably be an overload of visual stimuli

For weirdness he should do that comic storyline where Godzilla is in hell and is technically getting killed a lot by monsters/himself/non-demonic monsters he's killed in the past but survives anyway and keeps getting even stronger/absorbs enemies even even though it's hell.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 21, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always assumed a sequel would be another Anno film and not necessarily a direct sequel.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Godzilla in Hell and Half Century War would be amazing stories to put on the big screen

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

a metal gear solid movie would be incredibly redundant

if it's an actual ending for MGS5 that'd be nice

the original MGS' plot (Shadow Moses) would also prob work ok as a movie

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Godzilla in Hell and Half Century War would be amazing stories to put on the big screen

I would pay good money for a Half Century War movie. It's literally the best Godzilla story I think I've encountered, and that's saying a bit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
does anyone know when godzilla anime part 2 hits netflix? i thought it was a few days ago but it turns out that was just the release in japan

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the original MGS' plot (Shadow Moses) would also prob work ok as a movie

Original MGS is just a james bond story, but with weirder villains. I think it would adapt p easily all things considered to a film. Maybe even 3, but all the other entries are too off the rails.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Original MGS is just a james bond story, but with weirder villains. I think it would adapt p easily all things considered to a film. Maybe even 3, but all the other entries are too off the rails.

These days when watching Bond movies I keep half expecting a giant robot to show up.

They really dropped the ball on the opportunity to pull a Solid/Liquid Bond thing with Bloefeld. Though I suppose they basically did that with the last movie's villain, it really worked.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Notorious ZSB posted:

That's why you adopt Metal Gear 1, and spend the entire movie not noticing that Big Boss looks exactly like an older Solid Snake, and have Snake somehow not realize it either, so you can do the big twist reveal at the end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Darko posted:

That's why you adopt Metal Gear 1, and spend the entire movie not noticing that Big Boss looks exactly like an older Solid Snake, and have Snake somehow not realize it either, so you can do the big twist reveal at the end.

Which makes things all the weirder, considering.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Darko posted:

Big boss has a beard, it's the perfect disguise

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Big boss has a beard, it's the perfect disguise

And an eyepatch!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I agree with the person who said a Metal Gear movie would be redundant.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Metal Gear Solid novel is basically the novelization of the MGS1 movie that never was.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

The Metal Gear Solid novel is basically the novelization of the MGS1 movie that never was.

I always regret that when I was a kid getting Worlds of Power NES novelizations from school book orders, I didn't grab the Metal Gear one. Apparently it's pretty bonkers in its own right. I still have fond memories of the also insane Castlevania 2 novelization, where a kid winds up in a "Last Action Hero" situation and gets sucked into the game, where he and Simon Belmont get taunted by the Seven Deadly Sins while pursuing the quest (the kid himself has the fault of being a chocoholic).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The original Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake would actually make for an awesome single action espionage movie (or two movies). Like basically just rip off Dredd 2012/The Raid but with spy stuff/sneaking stuff happening in between the encounters. A lot of closeup brutal melee stuff happening that escalates into more and more guns being used as the stakes are higher it gets more intense.* Then about halfway through the movie Boss' true identity is revealed as Snake gets too close to and actually destroys the Metal Gear prototype. Time jump to the second half/movie is Snake/Miller/etc. all pissed as hell at Boss and it can cover them finally tracking down the location of Boss' headquarters/beating Grey Fox/learning that the US government carpet bombed kids/killing the boss with a spraycan/whatever. They just need a technobabble reason for him to be sent to the Boss' headquarters with zero equipment again necessitating having to rely on creative use of cardboard boxes, mannequinn hands, carrier pigeons, hang gliders, etc. :3

It even has already built-in shared cinematic universe stuff via Snatcher and Metal Gear Rising and Policenauts and so on.

*This actually is supported pretty well across Metal Gear 1 and 2. The boss fights in the first two games are all kind of junky in their own way, but they're all like perfect action movie set pieces at the same time.

Oh man can you even imagine a $$$ level movie with the part where RUNNING MAN runs too fast to get attacked by Snake as the room slowly fills with poisonous gas but then Snake notices the pattern he runs around the room in and plants a land mine so that he runs into it and then utters "Guess you weren't fast enough" followed by RUNNING MAN just cold loving exploding apart on screen? Holy poo poo that game rules like you'd barely even need to change anything.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 22, 2018

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I think the comment about MGS not needing a movie is because the games are basically movies in game form.

I think it would be pretty cool but I think the story really excelled in the game format, the story itself is probably too short to be a full movie, the length of the games is due to gameplay not so much the story arcs. Pacing would be an issue for sure. Also there are a lot of fans of the game franchise, but is it big enough to support a high budget movie (or movie franchise)?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Come at me when they're talking about a Metal Gear: Rising movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

I think the comment about MGS not needing a movie is because the games are basically movies in game form.

I think it would be pretty cool but I think the story really excelled in the game format, the story itself is probably too short to be a full movie, the length of the games is due to gameplay not so much the story arcs. Pacing would be an issue for sure. Also there are a lot of fans of the game franchise, but is it big enough to support a high budget movie (or movie franchise)?

That's why I think if they did one it should just be Dredd 2012 but with MGS stuff.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

That's why I think if they did one it should just be Dredd 2012 but with MGS stuff.

Sign me up!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WEATHER ALERT EVERYONE!

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/999046099049463810

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

LegendaryGoji to perform new, modernized victory dance.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008

Nroo posted:

LegendaryGoji to perform new, modernized victory dance.

Would watch a movie twice in theater just for this.

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Well that's fine, just don't get as hosed up as the millenium movies and as long as they are solid films, it can work. Though the key being solid godzilla films.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Godzilla 2 delayed by two months:

quote:

Meanwhile, Godzilla 2 from Legendary goes from March 22 next year to May 31, Six Billion Dollar Man‘s old date, so Warner Bros. won’t be left without an event pic. During that post-Memorial Day weekend, Godzilla 2 will battle against an untitled Universal/Blumhouse movie.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/six-billion-dollar-man-shining-sequel-doctor-sleep-1202396965/

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Outlaw Vern has been reviewing films from the summer of 1998 and he finally got to Godzilla. It's a good review and it actually has some interesting tidbits about Roland Emmerich I'd never heard before. Makes it very clear that he was absolutely the wrong person to make an American Godzilla.

http://outlawvern.com/2018/05/22/godzilla-1998/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus, I forgot that King Ghidorah was going to be in King of the Monsters. I can't wait to see the new designs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Better give me a fuckin' trailer at SDCC.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

LesterGroans posted:

Outlaw Vern has been reviewing films from the summer of 1998 and he finally got to Godzilla. It's a good review and it actually has some interesting tidbits about Roland Emmerich I'd never heard before. Makes it very clear that he was absolutely the wrong person to make an American Godzilla.

http://outlawvern.com/2018/05/22/godzilla-1998/

I remember an interview with Emmerich where he complained Toho was difficult to work with, because, and are you ready for this wholly unreasonable request? Toho said Godzilla had to have three rows of spines down his back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I still love that the thing people remember most from Zilla is the Taco Bell commercial. A fuckin' tie-in commercial had more a pop culture impact than your entire movie.