Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I just realised, I asked Guilliman if he was able to do custom asteroid belts and according to the patch notes under the modding section:

* Added support for multiple asteroid belt types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Pre-patch: Not much of a problem to rout these upstarts here...

Post-patch: Open fire, blast you all, open fire!!!

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Black Pants posted:

I just realised, I asked Guilliman if he was able to do custom asteroid belts and according to the patch notes under the modding section:

* Added support for multiple asteroid belt types

*scratches off to do list*

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I just got rolled by one of the robot exterminator types

he had 5k worth of corvettes extremely early on

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I ran across a fanatic purifier who was relatively small early on who had managed to build a 6k citidel in their home system before anyone had destroyers, they had nothing else so I was able to peel every other system away from them.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Met a fanatic purifier, declared an early on him with a full contingent of corvettes and a freshly restored derelict cruiser. My total fleet power was about 1.3 but his was 1.2 and all mass drivers against my t2 armour... We met in a system I just took - and his fp just magically jumped to 1.6, after which he steamrolled me, destroyed 80% of my fleet while losing like 4 corvettes himself. Decided not to continue past that point.

So, after restarting, I find myself between two marauders (not entirely cut off by them, though). Behind one of the marauders is a fanatic purifier, who borders a determined exterminator... Such is life.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

iospace posted:

There's a lot of QoL changes, like anoms no longer failing (though the text sometimes hints at it) and special projects no longer requiring a scientist level.

God Bless Wiz

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RedSnapper posted:

Met a fanatic purifier, declared an early on him with a full contingent of corvettes and a freshly restored derelict cruiser. My total fleet power was about 1.3 but his was 1.2 and all mass drivers against my t2 armour... We met in a system I just took - and his fp just magically jumped to 1.6, after which he steamrolled me, destroyed 80% of my fleet while losing like 4 corvettes himself. Decided not to continue past that point.

So, after restarting, I find myself between two marauders (not entirely cut off by them, though). Behind one of the marauders is a fanatic purifier, who borders a determined exterminator... Such is life.

You might have encountered the harmony tradition home field advantage effect, which I'm not sure if it triggers in occupied systems but basically they get a substantial fleet power buff on home turf.

It can be a nasty surprise, both on the attack and the defence, because I keep forgetting that my fleet power drops when I wander into enemy territory :v:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

This latest patch has taken cockblocking simulator to a new level and it's awesome.

I hope Wiz isn't annoyed that the obvious strategy with these new maps is to spider your empire all over trying to gently caress other empires out of expansion opportunities. I know he disliked the idea of big snaking empires, but I'm enjoying the strategy of expanding to cut off your opponents as quickly as possible.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 23, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Which reminds me.

2/2 games had my precursor system being blocked :argh:

Though in cool things, if you zoom out now on a spiral arm galaxy, you can see the actual arms now via the dust that makes up them.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
That's exactly what I did before this patch and at least you don't know where all the choke points are from the get go now

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

If the upped the strength of the pirate bases (require more fleet investment to kill) and increased the effect snake-y boarders had it might effect me, but the main difference between now and before is that I aim to gobble along cluster chokes until I need to go backfill, while before I'd plan it all out. New system works a ton better if you didn't plan ahead or got terrible enemy spawns though, which I like. Makes me not feel as pressured to mad rush for those super chokes.

Actual pirate thought, I don't think the really scale on difficulty, maybe a pirate strength slider, improves fleet size, rate of scaling, strength of pirate base.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

iospace posted:

Though in cool things, if you zoom out now on a spiral arm galaxy, you can see the actual arms now via the dust that makes up them.

It worked like that before too? At least for me

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Not sure if it's just me but the map gen does feel more generous about resource spawns, number of stations per system feels almost double on average. I'm actually able to run relatively low on colonies thanks to that (which is good since the guaranteed 3 planets appear to be missing).

The experimental subspace jump for science ships turns out to be less impressive than originally thought, it's just the emergency FTL mechanic except you can pick the target system. Still need to have the system explored to target it, so it's not going to help you survey blocked hyperlanes unless there's a friendly empire to land at first. It's great for handling things like debris research or random research projects though, just grab one of your less important Assist Research ships and jump it over in half the time.

I had some pirates trigger and never show up until fifty years later when I went to clear the system out for claiming and it was a piddly 400 strength against my 5000. Checked the wiki on pirates and it looks like the pirates mechanic is supposed to scale more if you leave them alone, so I'm assuming it's actually just straight up broken somewhere.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
For those of you holding off based on the recent AI issues, it sure seems solved. Every planet I've conquered has been built up, the AI keeps up in fleet strength reasonably well into the midgame on Admiral and good lord is starting next to the CB-monsters fun. I actually have poo poo to do for the mid game as well, with how exploring plays out now.

Also, brain slugs. Brain slugs are the best. Except maybe the alien box that gets you the 20% hab trait for free on your primary species. Pick green. Greeen.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I found Zro dust on a toxic world! Then that world immediately had an anomaly pop up on it. The anomaly overwrote the zro with 3 minerals.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

For those of you holding off based on the recent AI issues, it sure seems solved. Every planet I've conquered has been built up, the AI keeps up in fleet strength reasonably well into the midgame on Admiral and good lord is starting next to the CB-monsters fun. I actually have poo poo to do for the mid game as well, with how exploring plays out now.

Also, brain slugs. Brain slugs are the best. Except maybe the alien box that gets you the 20% hab trait for free on your primary species. Pick green. Greeen.

Can confirm that green is the way to go.

Also a space whale followed one of my science ships home. :3:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I immediately made a new Devouring Swarm race using the new adorable mole people portrait.

I have like 7 planets before 2250. I've never been able to spread out like this before.

My nearest neighbors are some technocrats and the Blorg. I assume the Blorg are going to be troublesome by befriending everyone.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Any serious bugs/problems with the new patch? Want to give the new DLC content and anomalies a shot but not if things are broken and there'll be a new bug fix patch soon.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

axeil posted:

Any serious bugs/problems with the new patch? Want to give the new DLC content and anomalies a shot but not if things are broken and there'll be a new bug fix patch soon.

Nothing particularly game breaking on my end from playing all day yesterday.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Cynic Jester posted:

Too late, got blue, now my starting leaders will live long enough to transition into perfect, immortal machines.

+20% hab would've been nice, though. All I got in the neighborhood is two semi-decent 50% worlds and a 9-tile 80%

What does red do?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

axeil posted:

My game started crashing to desktop about 50% of the time I invaded a system starting around 2300. The crash would happen when you kill any station. It would freeze for 5-10 seconds and recover to give you the system or CTD. There also seems to be a bit with habitable planet generation but I normally play with Gaia preference and can't speak to that.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Red gives everyone Very Strong, at least according to the stream a couple of weeks ago.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aethernet posted:

Red gives everyone Very Strong, at least according to the stream a couple of weeks ago.

Yep, found it last night while playing. It changed my guys from Weak to Strong, I'm guessing if I didn't have Weak it would have been Very Strong.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chalks posted:

This latest patch has taken cockblocking simulator to a new level and it's awesome.

I hope Wiz isn't annoyed that the obvious strategy with these news maps is to spider your empire all over trying to gently caress other empires out of expansion opportunities. I know he disliked the idea of big snaking empires, but I'm enjoying the strategy of expanding to cut off your opponents as quickly as possible.

This is how I'm playing too, it does mean I need to fight off quite a few pirates though and it also means I'm a bit stretched thin if someone were to attack me but yeah, otherwise I really like the new mapgen cos it lets you be a massive dickhead while also not discouraging expansion outside of your first pocket, because chances are you'll be able to link up other ones and not have to worry about opening too many fronts.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
After many, many, many tries I managed to generate a galaxy that didn't look like a giant middle finger by cranking habitable worlds up to 3.0x and hyperlanes to 1.5x - the down side is that this has created an absolutely gigantic galaxy and about once a year (every August, for some reason) the game now hangs for 15-20 seconds while everyone sorts their poo poo out.

I've also managed to open my first L-Gate and I think it was a mistake. There are now fleets ~40K-45K in size roaming the galaxy and the most I can muster up at once is ~17K if I group everything together. I'm just going to abuse the console commands so I can see how this plays out but drat if that isn't a dick move. They not only trash everything they cross paths with they delete outposts as well forcing everyone to recolonize huge swaths of the galaxy. Oops.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I ended up getting all the gray stuff in my L-cluster. No side effects though?

Also, what is the engimatic cache? It's been floating around and sits there.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Yeah L-Gates are awesome.

Except when the outcome is bad and you've done it too early and oh my god everyone is dying quicker than an end game crisis.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/999324681181323264

This is a pretty cool change.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Oh my god that's exactly how I wanted to play my slavers like last week.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Made a gaia world starting empire. Second system surveyed had a pre-space civilization in it. Before my construction ship could even get there to build a starbase, they had already nuked themselves into oblivion. Marvelous.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Made a gaia world starting empire. Second system surveyed had a pre-space civilization in it. Before my construction ship could even get there to build a starbase, they had already nuked themselves into oblivion. Marvelous.

They saw you coming and knew they had a future as colony slaves and decided to stick a big middle finger up at you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I wonder if you have to capture at least one planet for this to work?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OwlFancier posted:

They saw you coming and knew they had a future as colony slaves and decided to stick a big middle finger up at you.
"Fanatic spiritualists? Gonna nope the gently caress out on that one"

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

PittTheElder posted:

I wonder if you have to capture at least one planet for this to work?

Capturing only uninhabited star systems creates a new marauder empire.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

So the Nivlac sure are something.

Is there any way to make them my primary species? Seeing as how they'll pretty soon outgrow everything else in my empire, it would be nice to have them as the official primary species. Especially because my original species is Life-Seeded

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Playing rogue servitors, just created my first sector with two planets in it.

Lets have a look at what tile improvements they're building.....

Brilliant.

Does anyone know if there's any way to make them stop doing this? This feels pretty game breaking.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chalks posted:

Does anyone know if there's any way to make them stop doing this? This feels pretty game breaking.

Yeah, wait for wiz to finally put the tile system into the trash where it belongs.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You want distant stars for 20% off?

https://www.fanatical.com/en/dlc/stellaris-distant-stars-story-pack

(Fanatical is legit. They're owned by Focus Multimedia)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Chalks posted:

Playing rogue servitors, just created my first sector with two planets in it.

Lets have a look at what tile improvements they're building.....

Brilliant.

How's your servitor morale modifier? It's possible that until it gets maxed out, the AI thinks it needs more biotrophies, and therefore will need more food to grow them, regardless of your current reproduction rules or the absence of habitable space for them to occupy.