Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Can someone give me some pointers on how to mod the game so Bulwark applies when you punch and don't move on your turn (it does not presently do that), or perhaps so that Bulwark/brace procs after Juggernaut does? Is this tricky or like an add-one-sentence-somewhere job?

It's a code job, nothing you can do in text files. Someone made a mod that causes Juggernaut to brace you after a melee attack, which is great, butbit ALSO let's you do a full attack afterwards too, which is insane. Maybe get that and open it up with resource hacker or something and root around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SuperKlaus posted:

Can someone give me some pointers on how to mod the game so Bulwark applies when you punch and don't move on your turn (it does not presently do that), or perhaps so that Bulwark/brace procs after Juggernaut does? Is this tricky or like an add-one-sentence-somewhere job?

Bulwark absolutely applies if you punch without moving on your turn though :???:

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Gwaihir posted:

Bulwark absolutely applies if you punch without moving on your turn though :???:

Not consistently. I've had it work and not work within the same battle. Probably depends on if the game thinks it needs to reposition slightly to make the animation work.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've never seen it work. Maybe I'll get that Juggernaut-Brace-Attack mod and just "scout's honor" never use the full attack part. Where do I find the mod?

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Have they mentioned anything about adding additional skills or edge to the game? I have my best mechwarriors maxed out with 150k+ XP built up and nothing to spend it on.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

I've never seen it work. Maybe I'll get that Juggernaut-Brace-Attack mod and just "scout's honor" never use the full attack part. Where do I find the mod?

It's on the Nexus. Note, enemy will ABSOLUTELY use the extra attack, so I wouldn't bother tbh. Many people are asking him for a version without the extra attack, so we'll see.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Sonderval posted:

Have they mentioned anything about adding additional skills or edge to the game? I have my best mechwarriors maxed out with 150k+ XP built up and nothing to spend it on.

I just want maxed out pilots to stop racking up XP so dude stops telling me to go to the barracks every time something happens.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

I just want maxed out pilots to stop racking up XP so dude stops telling me to go to the barracks every time something happens.

I just want a reason to not have a lance of 10/10/10/10 pilots by late midgame.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Could crank up the pilot salaries so god-pilots have crazy money demands?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah but by the time they're god-tier, money is increasingly less of an issue. Take salvage-only missions, get loads of parts and a complete mech and sell it for the same or more than the full cash value of the mission.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

The thing is, the Diplomat is in a Heavy and there are seven Light mechs (Jenners, Firestarters, Commandos, Spiders) and a Medium (Shadow Hawk) between me and him. The lights and mediums all charge my position while the Heavy rains down obscene amounts of LRMs.

Would be helpful to know what you’re bringing, yes. It may also be helpful to know what terrain you are on.

In general, however, even a Catapult is unlikely to do more than unsteady one of your mechs with lrms, even unbraced. Bulwark is your friend in this situation, so that at least one of your machines can put fire on the lights.

Melee attacks will also help, since these have the effect of actually restoring your stability (not dfas though) and cooling your mech as well.

Use vigilance liberally on your unsteady mechs. Lights are fragile and can usually be killed quickly, restoring the morale you just spent. Vigilance will also improve the initiative of that ‘mech, so you may even get to use it again before the target light goes next turn.

If you can’t get good targeting numbers on a light that has a lot of evasion, sensor lock may be a better use of that ‘mechs turn.

If you’re out of morale and can’t make a physical attack while unsteady, consider bracing for a turn. This may cause the AI to choose an easier target for the round, taking the heat off. In general if you have three braced mechs (bulwark, brace, or vigilance) the AI will generally shoot at the fourth mech without. Switch this up frequently, and it will have a hard time knocking over any one of your ‘mechs.

Keep as much range as you can from the target - long range penalties will reduce the effectiveness of indirect fire. This may mean you have to skirt around the outside of the map so that you trigger the reinforcement group as far away from the target as possible. If you have a lot of jumpers you can trigger the engagement and kite them back away from the target provided you’re careful with your heat.

Finally, and maybe obviously, focus down the lights one by one. Each live ‘mech that shoots takes an evasion pip, making your non-braced machines easier to hit with indirect fire.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The biggest thing I'm realizing playing Mercs again is that for as much as we're complaining about lights/mediums, at least you use them past the first hour. I was in heavy/assaults after a planetary campaign of shooting mostly boats. I did a quiet assassination mission in an Atlas and stealthily trundled out being shot by six mechs. I don't remember, could you just buy assaults on the market in Vengeance or Black Knight as well? I haven't played those in even longer than the last time I did Mercs.

Also most ACs are way too loving heavy to care about in it and it's much less fun using a keyboard/mouse.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
100% of the MP games I've tried have ended with a network disconnection in the first few seconds. What gives?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's on the Nexus. Note, enemy will ABSOLUTELY use the extra attack, so I wouldn't bother tbh. Many people are asking him for a version without the extra attack, so we'll see.

Shoot that's a good point. I've never been Juggernauted by an enemy so I don't even know how often they have it but I assume with this mod on the AI would Juggernaut me a whole lot more, huh?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just put two Gauss, a PPC, and 25 lrms on an atlas with a tac 9 pilot :stare:

Exposure
Apr 4, 2014

SuperKlaus posted:

Shoot that's a good point. I've never been Juggernauted by an enemy so I don't even know how often they have it but I assume with this mod on the AI would Juggernaut me a whole lot more, huh?

I don't do anything to alter what the AI thinks about it, so I'm actually surprised modded Juggernaut is properly recognized by the AI.

That said I'll probably get around to making a brace only version of it later this week, since its current form was an end product of listening to gripes about Bulwark + Gunnery tree usefulness vs a lot of other things as you hit the end game of singleplayer from friends, + realized how Juggernaut's primary ability is kinda pants when applied to an Assault Mech.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'm experiencing a weird bug where I can't open the mechlab/mech bays. The UI just doesn't show. Anybody else have anything like this happen?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

100% of the MP games I've tried have ended with a network disconnection in the first few seconds. What gives?

Apparently all the MP games are hosted on a single server and HBS vastly underestimated the demand that was gonna be put on it.

Edit: Also, we should have some sort of Master Mod list. Not everything is on the nexus and there's a ton of good stuff out there.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

This thread is giant, would somebody mind posting again the way to improve loading times by deleting saves? The game runs fine for me besides that, I think travel times are only a little bit longer than load times.It's really annoying in the 'Mech bay.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RBA Starblade posted:

The biggest thing I'm realizing playing Mercs again is that for as much as we're complaining about lights/mediums, at least you use them past the first hour. I was in heavy/assaults after a planetary campaign of shooting mostly boats. I did a quiet assassination mission in an Atlas and stealthily trundled out being shot by six mechs. I don't remember, could you just buy assaults on the market in Vengeance or Black Knight as well? I haven't played those in even longer than the last time I did Mercs.

Also most ACs are way too loving heavy to care about in it and it's much less fun using a keyboard/mouse.

Yeah while you didn't need light mechs for the stealth mission in this game, they certainly make positioning your ambushes take less turns. A pro star squad of Medium Mechs would still be a dream in that mission for focus firepower and speeding it along if you wanted to leave your heavies or "I farmed a bunch of assaults why is it so easy to core out a commando?" assault squad behind. But you are not punished for taking the time to actually improve your gear either.

What a world when a battletech game has one of the most enjoyable token stealth missions around. Then didn't order you to bring light mechs "because they are totally better at stealth when outnumbered and outgunned... somehow."

I still have a firestarter on prep. Along with my my overworked Shadowhawks for bonus objectives shadowhawk despite it being the endgame. One that still has an AC5 because "One low# autocannon is actually good now" is a huge loving deal to medium mechs compared to most heavy and assaults.

Which leads in to how despite the fact Jager S Stock may still get mocked, it's still the most dangerous it's ever been. We live in a world where dual AC20 king Crab assault mechs are taking cover from the AC5, to let their LRM boats handle it. Then still complaining about their assault lances are "More OP than ever" despite having to actually respect lower tonnage enemies more than ever.

All down to the fact the thing making people use lighter mechs for longer than ever in HBS Btech, is because they improved the baseline WITHOUT arbitrarily loving you or heavier mechs over. Which hardly anyone has really done before, in the long history of trying and failing to "Make non assaults viable, for real this time".

So many people keep trying to 'improve' lighter mechs by loving with the player nonstop or otherwise handicapping you somehow. Or suggesting all the future tech that benefits heavier mechs as much or more than light mechs. Or "Well Lights have a lower battle value-" Which doesn't matter outside of tournament or clan zoolander bidding.

Wouldn't you know it, none of it worked even half as well as simply making lighter mechs and lighter equipment suck less without any handicaps, fun taxes, or gimmick missions that still leave light mechs at a disadvantage. So now we have longer (if not forever) longevity for lights and mediums, and one of the most popular heavy mechs in the game is the one that spends 1/3 of it's weapon tonnage on small lasers or machineguns rather than a heat neutral PPC boat.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 23, 2018

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'd really like to get some MP games in, it seems to be where the game shines as far as tactical choices and maneuvering.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I just finished the story recently and browsing the thread I'm surprised to see that sniping and LRMs are apparently the dominant strat? I tried those kind of weapons out, found them underwhelming, and ended up going all-in on jumpy brawling lances, with loadouts comprised almost entirely of SRMs and Medium Lasers, jets on almost everything, and the odd AC20 once I hit postgame and started getting more assaults. That brings me to the other part that surprised me, people talking about bringing full assault lances to the final story mission and having a full lance of maxed-out pilots by midgame. I guess I progressed the story missions faster than most, because I only had the story assaults for the final mission and didn't get any more until the postgame, and I didn't get my first 10/10/10/10 until the postgame either.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

seaborgium posted:

This thread is giant, would somebody mind posting again the way to improve loading times by deleting saves? The game runs fine for me besides that, I think travel times are only a little bit longer than load times.It's really annoying in the 'Mech bay.

Load a game, then click the X on the right side for each save file you want to delete.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Burnt Poffin posted:

Load a game, then click the X on the right side for each save file you want to delete.

I've been culling them via the folder every so often since that's faster than slowly clicking through the saves menu when it's starting to get iffy.

Saves are in one of those crazy locations for this game. Should look something like

Steam Directory Here\userdata\40542380\637090\remote\C0

The 637090 seems to be the consistent number, if I recall right.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Section Z posted:

I've been culling them via the folder every so often since that's faster than slowly clicking through the saves menu when it's starting to get iffy.

Saves are in one of those crazy locations for this game. Should look something like

Steam Directory Here\userdata\40542380\637090\remote\C0

The 637090 seems to be the consistent number, if I recall right.

Also be sure to have the game running when you do this if you're using cloud saves, or they will just be reloaded.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Can someone confirm my suspicions that Bulwark doesn’t reduce stability damage? RAW it says you are granted guarded which give you 50% damage reduction, but it DOESN’T mention entrenched which is the stability buff from bracing.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I think I'm done with this. It was cool for a while, but then I noticed every mission is exactly the same. You always go second, they have defenders' advantage, you're always outnumbered, generally surrounded. Pretty boring!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You always alternate if you have the same phase. i.e. if they had the last turn and it's back to a new phase then you'll get the first choice and you can fudge that with Master Tac and Reserves.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

You always alternate if you have the same phase. i.e. if they had the last turn and it's back to a new phase then you'll get the first choice and you can fudge that with Master Tac and Reserves.

I think hes taking about the surprise round, where you effortlessly scout the enemy lance and you enter combat with them getting a surprise round.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That? I'm not sure what governs that but I always mash my non-combat movement to get everyone to zoom around fast before the surprise triggers, seems to work?!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Aramoro posted:

I think hes taking about the surprise round, where you effortlessly scout the enemy lance and you enter combat with them getting a surprise round.
Or when they spawn 10 hexes behind you in line of sight like magic, because after killing everyone you finally walked your sensor lock mech close enough to the target base to let you indirect spam the last remaining turret. Which triggered the reinforcements.

Missions like that is part of why I prefer my LRM boats to have armor. But not like a stalker with a pair of LRM20++ isn't going to be loving something up stability wise. NORMALLY when that happens they spawn in a less transparantly videogamey spot. But that rare occasion they decide "gently caress it. Spawn right on top of them" tends to be a rude surprise.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:50 on May 23, 2018

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I think I actually got the jump on some dudes and benefited from the surprise round once, but I'm not really sure. My pre-combat movement consists of madly double-right-clicking all 4 mechs to make them all sprint and hopefully set facing to where I assume the enemy is. If you commit to clicking fast you can still move your entire lance after ENEMY CONTACT flashes. This way my guys will at least all be clumped together when I inevitably stumble upon the first enemy and they get to go first.

I still much prefer this style of combat to the bullshit XCOM 2 method of enemy pods spontaneously spawning outside line of sight. Battletech at least lets me suspend disbelief so that I can imagine the enemy mechs were already there on that hill, rather than instantaneously spawning out of thin air and in a group to take advantage of initiative. Modern XCOM is great don't get me wrong, but the very first UFO Defense did a good job of spawning enemies so that it felt fair and was also surprising. Sometimes an alien insurgent is hiding in the closet which I admit is poor design, but destructible terrain and random placement at least kept it exciting and imparted a sense of fairness. Battletech feels like more of an even playing field to me, even against an inferior AI opponent. The fundamentals seem to be present and I'm excited to see what the studio can do with this franchise.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Asimov posted:

I think I actually got the jump on some dudes and benefited from the surprise round once, but I'm not really sure. My pre-combat movement consists of madly double-right-clicking all 4 mechs to make them all sprint and hopefully set facing to where I assume the enemy is. If you commit to clicking fast you can still move your entire lance after ENEMY CONTACT flashes. This way my guys will at least all be clumped together when I inevitably stumble upon the first enemy and they get to go first.

This part must surely be a bug I would think, where you move 1 mech up get enemy contact and drop into contact before you can move anyone else, but if you click fast enough then it doesn't.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Aramoro posted:

This part must surely be a bug I would think, where you move 1 mech up get enemy contact and drop into contact before you can move anyone else, but if you click fast enough then it doesn't.
In my experience you immediately drop into combat if you get a visual on an enemy unit, regardless of how many of your dudes you have moved. If you get a sensor contact you get to finish sprinting all of your dudes before you enter a combat round.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

In my experience you immediately drop into combat if you get a visual on an enemy unit, regardless of how many of your dudes you have moved. If you get a sensor contact you get to finish sprinting all of your dudes before you enter a combat round.

Same. I always go with careful first short range mech, and then scoot as needed.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I can second this.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I think I'm done with this. It was cool for a while, but then I noticed every mission is exactly the same. You always go second, they have defenders' advantage, you're always outnumbered, generally surrounded. Pretty boring!

More mission types and more scripting in non story missions has got to be a huge push for them I think.

They definitely mentioned in interviews that they had a lot more ready to go but could not fit them in launch due to lack of time for testing and polish.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

This is correct, I almost never get a surprise round against me.

Don't sprint all over. Move somewhat shorter distances so that they always pop on sensors first. Walking or Jumping then bracing with heavy mechs instead of sprinting makes this happen basically every time because it stops you short.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Someone convince me why I shouldn’t sell or scrap my Dragon. I’ve only been on two missions with it and I’ve lost an arm in each. My only alternate heavy is a Quickdraw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Roman Reigns posted:

Someone convince me why I shouldn’t sell or scrap my Dragon. I’ve only been on two missions with it and I’ve lost an arm in each. My only alternate heavy is a Quickdraw.

Even Yang thinks it's a bad mech in his flavor text.