Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The lack of a physical escape key is.... disturbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
it's apple reminding you that there is no real escape

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I have a 2nd gen X1c that has the god drat F-key touchbar and it was a stupid idea then too. lol if you don't need to use F keys on the reg, sure, lemme just go and rewrite decades' worth of software running in my desktop vm that assumes those exist.

a keyboard is something that has fixed-function keys with tactile feedback

a display is something that you look at that has context-specific graphical icons that are activated infrequently relative to the fixed-function stuff.

who was it who said something about converging a toaster and a refrigerator to produce something that's poo poo at both?

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
timb cuk

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

I have a MBP for work and agree with all keyboard and touch bar complaints. Even the key response sucks on the keyboard. Luckily I'm "docked" with a mouse/keyboard/monitor like 90% of the time.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
dont need to look at this touch strip let's just mash the general direction of F11 oops that was F10 and I did a Step Over instead of Step Into welp time to spend another few minutes setting up the repro case for this bug

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

whodatwhere posted:

I have a MBP for work and agree with all keyboard and touch bar complaints. Even the key response sucks on the keyboard. Luckily I'm "docked" with a mouse/keyboard/monitor like 90% of the time.

so you're saying you're a docker

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Suspicious Dish posted:

and i'm of the opinion that bitcoin and machine learning are a waste of cool GPU hardware

Agreed. GPUs are for prefix sums and Monte Carlo simulations.

Regarding GLSL, I was also dismayed that it does not seem to support basic things like integer scalars of various sizes (like 16 bit). Sure, I can simulate all that myself, but it's just a pain I don't have to care about in OpenCL. Also, in OpenCL, a kernel is just a function that takes various parameters. GLSL's weird system of global variables and weird structures freaks me out. I'd love for someone to correct me, because clearly being able to generate GLSL would allow my code to be far more useful than when I only generate OpenCL or CUDA.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

and i'm of the opinion that bitcoin and machine learning are a waste of cool GPU hardware

GPU should be used for compiling gentoo and nothing else

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Poopernickel posted:

GPU should be used for compiling gentoo and nothing else

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

dont need to look at this touch strip let's just mash the general direction of F11 oops that was F10 and I did a Step Over instead of Step Into welp time to spend another few minutes setting up the repro case for this bug

it's terrible for 3270 sessions as well

if they were dead set on doing it they should have put it above the function keys and made the dinner plate sized touchpad just a bit smaller

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
welp just ordered a 6th gen x1 carbon with the hdr screen

a nice replacement for my 2013 macbook air running arch gnu+linux

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

spankmeister posted:

I hate that.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Olivil posted:

welp just ordered a 6th gen x1 carbon with the hdr screen

a nice replacement for my 2013 macbook air running arch gnu+linux

even if i could be argued out of it being the best, i would be very very surprised if you didn't find yourself satisfied with that machine.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

even if i could be argued out of it being the best, i would be very very surprised if you didn't find yourself satisfied with that machine.

yep apparently the only things not working under linux are the fingerprint scanner and the [micro]sd card reader (somehow)

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

im also on the broken keyboard mbp train and would be pissed if this werent my work laptop thats almost always docked. as it stands im going to ask for a linux laptop and take my chances there - i think dell xps15 is my choice

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
buy a system76 oryx pro 15"

live my fantasy machine

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

isn't system76 yet another clevo/sager rebrander?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

what the best linux for running a wee firewall
is it centos and iptables and a newer kernel I bet it is

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah my needs are very suited with kubuntu 18.04 on a 6th gen x1 carbon

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

don't use kubuntu, use fedora with kde

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

don't use linux, use osx or windows

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Tankakern posted:

yep

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002

spankmeister posted:

smh at anyone not mapping their caps-tap to esc and caps-hold to ctrl

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Tankakern posted:

it's more of a joint-design kind of situation afaik

System76 specs out the internals to make sure everything is linux-friendly, then Clevo customizes as needed - system76 provides the warranty and support

do the needful and buy from a Denver based company

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 23, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Poopernickel posted:

do the needful and buy from a Denver based company

yeah ten people working on a web site in denver are definitely a "denver based" laptop manufacturer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Poopernickel posted:

System76 specs out the internals to make sure everything is linux-friendly, then Clevo customizes as needed - system76 provides the warranty and support

yep just a total coincidence that every system76 model is identical to a pre-existing clevo/sager model

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
does system76 at least work out driver issues to make your sound work and your poo poo not crash ootb?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

who knows prolly no one here has bought anything from them as they’re obnoxious as gently caress with their branding (guy fawkes hacker style :xd:). but really those things have not been a real issue for years on a good amount of hardware

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have a Lenovo with Fedora and it doesn't crash and also the sound works.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

seriously gently caress off with this

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

OldAlias posted:

seriously gently caress off with this

lmao

yeah I guess some of my linux hardware experiences are a little skewed bc i have run it on old laptops that probably didn't have good linux support when new

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah ten people working on a web site in denver are definitely a "denver based" laptop manufacturer

denver, china

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

does system76 at least work out driver issues to make your sound work and your poo poo not crash ootb?

that's what dell and lenovo do for their linux skus

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pop!_OS lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

been using arch on a couple laptops for a month or two and it's p good

that said the laptops in question are ThinkPads that are 2 and 4 years old respectively so theyd work fine on any distro

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Don't have one but I think that's kind of their whole thing so yes

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I just realised that my Fedora 28, running those free AMD drivers ootb, also uses Wayland instead of Xorg. I didn't notice and had to check the process list to make certain. Surely we live in the future now.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Athas posted:

I just realised that my Fedora 28, running those free AMD drivers ootb, also uses Wayland instead of Xorg. I didn't notice and had to check the process list to make certain. Surely we live in the future now.

:ssh: everythingmost things are shimmed with xwayland so youre still using x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
just saw that HN post on awk - any goons actually shipping awk code for anything?