Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
You can put chili peppers on a fire to create an updraft?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You can also just light the pepper on fire by other means. As long as it burns, it creates a small updraft, where normally you need a big brush fire to have one.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

They're very spicy.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

ROFL Octopus posted:

Had this for the wii u but I recently got a switch and what am I gonna do, not have breath of the wild on the switch?

This time I really didn’t feel like doing the long trek to zora’s domain, so I climbed up akkala tower, started a fire, put chili peppers over it to create an updraft, and descended upon zora’s domain from behind. :moonrio:

I hated the trek until I realized just how many arrows I got (~150) doing it, and now I want to redo it and get more arrows. I'm sure people will say just buy them, they're cheap. But you know what? I'm cheap. I always am in these types of games. There's a reason my Skyrim character had over 500,000 gold when I ran out of content in that game.

THE BLOOD MOON RISES AGAIN.

khy fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 21, 2018

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

khy posted:

My next goal is finding warm clothing and clothes that will let me resist heat, so I can explore Mount Lanayru and the snowy area in the western part of the map. I got the warm clothes from the plateau, but they're 1 defense and not upgradeable at the great fairy, so I gotta find better ones.

My first pushes into that area were a lot of fun. I didn't have the right clothing but I had a lot of spicy food that I used to warm myself up. But that's not good enough for real cold areas. Then I figured out how to carry fire with me and that plus a potion is enough to get you through, but even then you need to be careful. I got to the tower (activating them all was my first goal) and got out.

khy posted:

I hated the trek until I realized just how many arrows I got (~150) doing it, and now I want to redo it and get more arrows. I'm sure people will say just buy them, they're cheap. But you know what? I'm cheap. I always am in these types of games. There's a reason my Skyrim character had over 500,000 gold when I ran out of content in that game.

That's a good amount. I feel the game gives less arrows the more you actually have, so that may not work.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's a vendor by the Mounted Archery Camp in the south central area who sells nothing but lots of arrows. However, I don't know what influences when vendors restock.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bongo Bill posted:

You can also just light the pepper on fire by other means. As long as it burns, it creates a small updraft, where normally you need a big brush fire to have one.

This is awesome, good tip. Does it work in shrines?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Chronojam posted:

This is awesome, good tip. Does it work in shrines?

Pretty sure it does.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ive been on a second run of the game and now I can't find the second location to meet up with the big Deku dude who trades for weapons slots. I've been to the forest and thought he'd be there, but to no avail. I haven't seen him since my first encounter and now I have around 60 seeds that I want to trade in, and I have zero recall where I met up with him in my first game. Can anybody help?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ive been on a second run of the game and now I can't find the second location to meet up with the big Deku dude who trades for weapons slots. I've been to the forest and thought he'd be there, but to no avail. I haven't seen him since my first encounter and now I have around 60 seeds that I want to trade in, and I have zero recall where I met up with him in my first game. Can anybody help?

Check the stables. He goes there after he leaves the roadside, then after you buy a few more slots from him he goes to the forest.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ah ok. I'll hop from stable to stable until I find him. Thanks!

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Specifically he winds up at the stables that are on the road between Kakariko and Korok Forest.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

By the way burning peppers does not work in shrines because there is no wind indoors.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Weird. If you’ve already met him outside Kakariko, he should be in the forest no matter what.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

That feeling of accomplishment when you go in to a MAJOR test of strength with only 21 armor and 6 hearts, and win on the first try.

Yes it used up three of my fairies BUT STILL

I'm so low level that the guardian itself dropped amazing weapons and the chest had a puny little 13 damage knight's halberd, haha.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

mastajake posted:

Weird. If you’ve already met him outside Kakariko, he should be in the forest no matter what.

Ah ha... I found him back at the tree you first ran into him. Apparently I didn’t get the last slot expansion from him so he didn’t leave yet. Upped a shield slot and he said he had to go, so I teleported to the forest home and there he was. Thanks all

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

khy posted:

That feeling of accomplishment when you go in to a MAJOR test of strength with only 21 armor and 6 hearts, and win on the first try.

Yes it used up three of my fairies BUT STILL

I'm so low level that the guardian itself dropped amazing weapons and the chest had a puny little 13 damage knight's halberd, haha.

The early successes are the best. I was lowly armored for ages. I had around 8-10 hearts for the majority of the game but that means poo poo when you have no armor. The first big fights with black lizards or in the shrines where I'd break every weapon were so intense, but the equipment you get out of them could easily carry you through more rewarding fights since you've honed your fighting skills so highly.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

wait the Champion's tunic is what allows you to see enemy hit points? Jesus I never wore it in over 300 hours because I hated the way it looks.

When upgraded fully, it's also the strongest torso covering (points-wise) in Link's armor arsenal.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I too decided to find an alternative way to get into Zora's domain. Just to see if it could be done. It is possible to climb the waterfall and come in from the back. You end up in the lake where there is a treasure chest with a nice piece of clothing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Finally got around to finishing Champions' Ballad last night. I had started back when it launched and then put it down because the first bit really frustrated me.

(And also I got distracted with Xenoblade 2...)

Anyway, finally finished it! I thought it was super good! I liked the mini-puzzles leading up to the Shrines, I thought the Shrines themselves were really cool and had fun challenges, I really dug the rematches with the various -blights with equipment the Champions would have had and matching armor, and the last Divine Beast was TOTALLY AWESOME! I loved it! It's now my favorite Divine Beast in the game! I really enjoyed figuring everything out and felt so smart when everything clicked. And the finale? Totally cool! Great capstone to the game.

The Master Cycle felt kinda blah by comparison. The real reward was the fun and cool challenges I had along the way!

.... I still haven't done the Master Sword Trials. Fffff.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bongo Bill posted:

It's the same force at work in your butthole.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Bongo Bill posted:

Pretty sure it does.

I’m pretty sure it’s impossible to create an updraft in a shrine period, peppers or not.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No up drafts in shrines. It would allow you to straight up skip a bunch of the puzzles

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You can still skip a bunch but usually it requires something more complicated.

Although just using the shield surf jump can get you pretty far sometimes which seems silly. How did they not account for a core part of link's moveset?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I have been playing this game on and off since its release (I still have not beat Ganon yet). I only just figured out that Kass's involvement is a quest in itself and I just finished it. :3:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Kass Rocks

Kass for Smash

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just finished the TerryTown quest in my second playthrough and it's still :3:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I just finished the TerryTown quest in my second playthrough and it's still :3:

I’m such a sucker for that kind of stuff. Kafei and Anju's Quest from MM got me real bad.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Kafei and Anju ate up like an entire summer break for me. Especially since games are harder as a kid. I would get frustrated, bounce to Shenmue for a few days, then back to Majora's Mask to attempt another 3-hour run of that damned quest. Had a guide printed out from cheatplanet.com (on our HP 930c, drat that thing was a beast) and everything.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Bloop posted:

Kass Rocks

Kass for Smash

You should get a special Kass ability if you find all of his shrines. Distract any opponent with a bit of accordion music

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Turn enemies into familiars with the accordion. Soften Ganon's heart with the power of love. Bring everlasting peace to Hyrule. All future Zelda games are cute farming simulators.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MokBa posted:

All future Zelda games are cute farming simulators.

this should have been the postgame for BotW but oh well

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Amppelix posted:

Although just using the shield surf jump can get you pretty far sometimes which seems silly. How did they not account for a core part of link's moveset?

It's kind of a more "advanced" move, which means that it's a fun easter egg for people who figure out to use it. Super Mario Odyssey has a lot of similar situations where some clever jumping by Mario can completely bypass the "intended" solution to puzzles, and it makes players who can pull it off feel good that they skipped the intended route.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Kass Rocks

I love his design (why does he differ so much from the other Rito?), his quests, and general presence are great and it's so cool when you catch a strain of his music and find him, but why oh why did they give him an accordion? That instrument's been tainted by all the lovely accordion players I hear regularly on the metro. Though I'll admit I'd probably give a busker some cash if they ever played some of Kass's music.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Amppelix posted:

The sheikahs specifically praise your resourcefulness for getting to the end, so if that includes shield surf jumping then so be it. :v:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Is it still true that the only way to get the classic green Link outfit is to buy a Link amiibo? Follow-up question: Is there any Link amiibo that costs like ten bucks? Corollary: Why the hell do all the Link amiibos cost 30 bucks or more?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do you have a phone with NFC? NTAG215s are cheap and the tagmo app is free.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Phenotype posted:

Is it still true that the only way to get the classic green Link outfit is to buy a Link amiibo? Follow-up question: Is there any Link amiibo that costs like ten bucks? Corollary: Why the hell do all the Link amiibos cost 30 bucks or more?

Only if you want the OoT, TP, or SS outfits.

You can get a Zelda 1 style green tunic in game if you beat all the shrines.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Phenotype posted:

If you want a classic design you need an amiibo(tag) with that design.
You get a BotW original interpretation of the green tunic for completing the 120 non-dlc shrines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Kass Rocks

Kass for Smash

I always get a smile on my face when I'm going around and hear that music start. Immediately I have to go out searching for him. I get a little disappointed when it's not a quest and instead it's a song about that weird tapestry though. Still, he's helped me find a ton of shrines so now I'm up to 1 extra stamina bar and 10 total hearts.

Freeing the dragon from the top of Lanayru was amazing. I killed my first Lynel at the base, was a bit disappointed with the weapons it dropped but c'est la vie. Chasing after it and shooting the giant eyes was fun. Now I gotta repeat that for materials though, which means figuring out where it spawns and what time and camping it. I'm desperately trying to avoid looking up anything, because I've already been minor spoilered (Knowing how many hearts I need to grab the Master Sword, though I'm trying my best to just find it myself without hints) and it's a slippery slope to looking up just 1 thing and then maybe just 1 more and then suddenly I'm doing the whole game with a walkthrough and that's not nearly as fun.

I've had so much fun with the puzzles, finding those big warrior statues and matching the balls to the symbols, finding the labyrinth in the desert and exploring it (I cheated and dropped down from the top so I skipped half of it). If I am just doing what the walkthrough says then I doubt I'd be having half as much fun as I am.

Trying to decide tonight if I wanna do a second Divine Beast, or if I want to continue to wander the world for shrines. Or if I wanna try to get past all those flying guardians and reach the Akkala tower today, it's the last one I have to do. My first couple attempts were failures, but that was when I had 5 hearts and 2 stamina upgrades, so now I can probably just come in from off the path and avoid their searchlights.