Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I like his weird scifi. I'm excited to see what he's come up with either way, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, Geneforge is easily my favorite series of his and though I'd throw money at him anyway I'll probably give even more if it isn't Generic Fantasy Setting #1.673536E+07.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I think you can count on Vogel to do what he thinks is the best thing he can do that will sell well. He's very mercenary about that. If he does the research and decides that fantasy sells better than sci-fi (which wouldn't surprise me) then he'll do fantasy. It'll probably be weird fantasy though.

Hell, Geneforge is basically "scientifically-applied fantasy"; it's only sci-fi because the magic is rigorously studied and understood.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Hell, Geneforge is basically "scientifically-applied fantasy"; it's only sci-fi because the magic is rigorously studied and understood.
That’s true, but also kind of the point: You don’t have to go Steampunk or full-blown sci-fi, but just make it a little unique/weird and that’s enough to avoid :effort: Generic Fantasy Setting (well said Random rear end in a top hat)...which Avadon definitely felt like to me.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
TMA said it better than I would. My major quibble with Geneforge, and I use the word "quibble" because my problem is mostly bullshit, is that you only control one character and I vastly prefer party-friendly games. I know that you can have a whole bunch of adorable creations, but it's not the same for me. Reducing the maximum party size in the Exile/Avernum games after the first generation hurt, but going down to just one toon for me isn't a cut, it's an amputation. I don't mind it in real-time games like Skyrim or Ultima Underground, but in turn-based games with thoughtful, quasi-tactical play it really kills it for me.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah, I'm utterly sick of the default medieval Europe setting in fantasy RPGs at this point. Even games with a Roman era theme like Nethergate are a refreshing change of pace.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Caves of Avernum, the MMO
Vahnatai Expansion in 2020
Surface Expansion in 2022

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Honestly what I'd love to see (and which will almost certainly not happen) would be a 4X/survival sim about establishing Avernum. Like, you start the game with a small set of heroes (Erika, Patrick, Micah, etc.) clustered around the surface portal and the entire landscape is crawling with hostile demons, slith, nephilim, and giant spiders (talking/friendly or otherwise). The Empire periodically sends down new exiles, which you have to train up and use to battle the hostiles, build defenses, establish new towns, and perform research. To throw a wrench into your plans, sometimes the new exiles include actual criminals, spies, or Lindapowerful idiots. They're stronger than normal exiles but may cause problems, so it's a gamble to use them. But you can't just execute them, and if you throw too many into the Abyss then it will rise up in revolution.

The ultimate goal would probably be the imprisonment of Grah-Hoth, with a sub-goal of establishing a stable border in the Slith war.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

I think you can count on Vogel to do what he thinks is the best thing he can do that will sell well. He's very mercenary about that. If he does the research and decides that fantasy sells better than sci-fi (which wouldn't surprise me) then he'll do fantasy. It'll probably be weird fantasy though.

Yup. I'm pretty sure he even mentioned once that Geneforge was originally going to be pure sci-fi in the early planning stages, but he added magic because fantasy RPGs tend to sell better.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Honestly what I'd love to see (and which will almost certainly not happen) would be a 4X/survival sim about establishing Avernum. Like, you start the game with a small set of heroes (Erika, Patrick, Micah, etc.) clustered around the surface portal and the entire landscape is crawling with hostile demons, slith, nephilim, and giant spiders (talking/friendly or otherwise). The Empire periodically sends down new exiles, which you have to train up and use to battle the hostiles, build defenses, establish new towns, and perform research. To throw a wrench into your plans, sometimes the new exiles include actual criminals, spies, or Lindapowerful idiots. They're stronger than normal exiles but may cause problems, so it's a gamble to use them. But you can't just execute them, and if you throw too many into the Abyss then it will rise up in revolution.

The ultimate goal would probably be the imprisonment of Grah-Hoth, with a sub-goal of establishing a stable border in the Slith war.

Exile - Beginnings is a very clever idea that will unfortunately never be made. One huge reason is that Jeff can't risk going into a genre he knows little about and it being a commercial flop that may hurt customer goodwill.

By the way, I call it Exile and not Avernum because it was originally called Exile and Micah declared it Avernum with great ceremony during events in the first game, I believe. This would be before that, of course.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I trust Jeffy V more than most people to follow through on the kickstarter.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I want a Geneforge 4X. :sigh:

but maybe one day I'll make that dwarf fortress mod.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I want a Geneforge 4X. :sigh:

but maybe one day I'll make that dwarf fortress mod.

I just want the Geneforge remakes :eng99:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

fart simpson posted:

I trust Jeffy V more than most people to follow through on the kickstarter.

Yeah I generally avoid kickstarters but this dude is the real deal so I’ll consider backing if it looks cool.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

mauman posted:

I just want the Geneforge remakes :eng99:

Good things come to those who wait, right? I'm looking forward to 'em.

No more goddamn land mine zones though

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Thuryl posted:

Yup. I'm pretty sure he even mentioned once that Geneforge was originally going to be pure sci-fi in the early planning stages, but he added magic because fantasy RPGs tend to sell better.

That's how I remember it, too. I mean, you gotta remember, this is literally how he supports his family - of course he's gonna go with whatever best ensures he can continue to do so.

Also like, if there's any indie guy I'd seriously trust to actually deliver on a Kickstarter, it's probably him. He's got a long history of getting his games done.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
While I love his games as-is, I'm looking forward to the prospect of new art assets. His current standbys are serviceable but a tad long in the tooth now.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

moot the hopple posted:

While I love his games as-is, I'm looking forward to the prospect of new art assets. His current standbys are serviceable but a tad long in the tooth now.

It’s also worth noting that he’s stated his plan previously was to just start using solely Unity store assets, which I think would both be a losing strategy long term and also kind of disappointing, so I am totally down to help fund a future of Spiderweb games that still have unique, characterful art assets.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

BlondRobin posted:

It’s also worth noting that he’s stated his plan previously was to just start using solely Unity store assets, which I think would both be a losing strategy long term and also kind of disappointing, so I am totally down to help fund a future of Spiderweb games that still have unique, characterful art assets.

^ This. We know he loves to reuse his art assets, so this is absolutely setting up a whole slew of new games using the new art. Personally I'm really hoping he goes hard sci-fi in the new series, it's the only thing he hasn't done at this point.

N'thing loving the idea of a 4X Exile game though. The tutorial could be the Imperial Expeditionary Force (that conveniently all died horribly, leaving powerful artifacts behind)!

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

RickVoid posted:

The tutorial could be the Imperial Expeditionary Force (that conveniently all died horribly, leaving powerful artifacts behind)!

I always loved the game lore behind magical artifacts like the Orb of Thralni or Demonslayer after it's been reconstructed in the first game. Because Avernum is such a small, plucky nation with limited resources, when they get high level phat loot like that, it becomes a crucial component to national security itself, entrusted only to those with the right clearance.

One of the later Avernum games had Demonslayer issued to some general or other high ranking military badass to gently caress up some demons, and when he fails, it's up to you to recover the sword from his body and finish the job as Avernum's next highest ranking badass. On paper, it's merely a good sword with a damage bonus against particular enemy type, but I still love the build up and story behind it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'd rather play a half-baked Avernum Skyrim mod (would actually be 200% behind this) before I'd play a 4x. 4x games put me to sleep, they're sooooooo boring.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

I always loved the game lore behind magical artifacts like the Orb of Thralni or Demonslayer after it's been reconstructed in the first game. Because Avernum is such a small, plucky nation with limited resources, when they get high level phat loot like that, it becomes a crucial component to national security itself, entrusted only to those with the right clearance.
Me too. It also bookends the series extremely well in Avernum 6, where one of the major side quest missions is tracking down where all this poo poo ended up after all the chaos that hits Avernum in 4, 5, and off-screen before 6.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

And Tyler Too! posted:

I'd rather play a half-baked Avernum Skyrim mod (would actually be 200% behind this) before I'd play a 4x. 4x games put me to sleep, they're sooooooo boring.

It wouldn't exactly be a traditional 4X, since it'd be very asymmetrical (there wouldn't exactly be opponent civilizations) and singleplayer only. I only called it a 4X because superficially that's what it'd look like: exploring, expanding your sphere of influence, exploiting local resources, and exterminating the forces arrayed against you.

But like I said, I 100% do not expect this to happen, it's way too far afield of what Vogel usually does. At best I could see him maybe licensing out the setting to other developers once he's no longer interested/able to exploit it himself.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
You might enjoy Thea: The Awakening which has many components of what you are describing, TMA. Setting is more of a twilight of the gods scenario with you as a revived god trying to guide your village of followers in a world beset by danger.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

moot the hopple posted:

You might enjoy Thea: The Awakening which has many components of what you are describing, TMA. Setting is more of a twilight of the gods scenario with you as a revived god trying to guide your village of followers in a world beset by danger.

Neat, thanks for the recommendation!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

It wouldn't exactly be a traditional 4X, since it'd be very asymmetrical (there wouldn't exactly be opponent civilizations) and singleplayer only. I only called it a 4X because superficially that's what it'd look like: exploring, expanding your sphere of influence, exploiting local resources, and exterminating the forces arrayed against you.

But like I said, I 100% do not expect this to happen, it's way too far afield of what Vogel usually does. At best I could see him maybe licensing out the setting to other developers once he's no longer interested/able to exploit it himself.

I think it’d play a lot like Heroes of Might and Magic or Age of Wonders.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

moot the hopple posted:

I've eyed this game before, but that's because I'm eternally hungry for strategy/management/civ-esque/etc games set in pre-medieval times. Somehow never got around to playing it, maybe it's time I finally got it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

I'm reasonably confident that Jeff would make a solid game in that genre if he really committed to it, but it's just too much risk. He has become in many ways the last developer of classic RPGs, and I don't think that he can venture too far from his bailiwick without alienating his limited fan base and endangering his business.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The kickstarter is up:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/619141553/queens-wish-the-conqueror

Including stuff like building new forts! A dash of 4x for flavor, it seems.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I think the Kickstarter's success will have to rely heavily on existing Spiderweb fans, because that campaign has almost nothing in it to attract new folks. I'll do my bit.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

He only wants 30 grand. I did my part.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The $75 tier with the signed letter of forgiveness for pirating is kind of awesome.

Sadly I think I've actually bought most of the games twice due to missing CDs, steam sales, and such.

Definitely backing to some amount though.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Glare Seethe posted:

I think the Kickstarter's success will have to rely heavily on existing Spiderweb fans, because that campaign has almost nothing in it to attract new folks. I'll do my bit.

Pretty much. As a Spiderweb fan I’m stoked but not sure how broad of an appeal this will have. Also, kind of surprised I didn’t get an email from their mailing list about this.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
drat....I want to donate to this but I'm unemployed right now (waiting on a bureaucratic nightmare to right itself).

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
gently caress it, i backed for $30. Why not.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

mauman posted:

drat....I want to donate to this but I'm unemployed right now (waiting on a bureaucratic nightmare to right itself).

Same; I would like to at least give $20, but I haven't even bought Avernum 3 yet because I'm skint. I was forced to quit due to an abusive supervisor and I would sue the gently caress out of my old employers if I thought that I had a case.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I backed it, naturally. Feeling pretty positive that he's at $9k in one day already.

JustJeff88 and mauman, good luck on the employment front!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

hahaha wow, it's already almost fully funded

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
He should've had a $5k "design a dungeon" pledge goal. I bet someone would've taken him up on it.

Fill that sucker full of mines and sentry crystals :unsmigghh:

I assume that the $30k is intentionally set low because this is a project he plans to do anyway, and he just wants the extra capital to grease the wheels a bit. He'd much rather get a nearly-guaranteed small payout than a moonshot multiple-hundreds-of-thousands payout, especially since the latter wouldn't make sense considering the scope of his project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

I assume that the $30k is intentionally set low because this is a project he plans to do anyway, and he just wants the extra capital to grease the wheels a bit. He'd much rather get a nearly-guaranteed small payout than a moonshot multiple-hundreds-of-thousands payout, especially since the latter wouldn't make sense considering the scope of his project.

I think that most of the game is already in his head and is no more or less expensive than, say, the last game that he put out, which is Avernum 3. I think that the Kickstarter money is primarily for the new art assets, which admittedly cost more than I thought.

I know that it's very early alpha, but it looks like he's expanding out of his comfort zone very modestly. He's essentially doing another fantasy RPG, but with management and building elements. Personally, I'm surprised to see that he intends to put this new game out on iOS, and sorry to see that he's sticking with the 4-person party.